Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine (BCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just sit tight. DA list, from what I understand, is the priority wait-list. There will likely be movement all the way until the first week of classes. Many programs will have shifting student bodies right up until orientation as people make last minute choices. Just hold on and good luck!

Thank you!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Does anybody know what kind of laptop/gadget they will be providing? I am looking to buy a Surface 3 tablet for school but wanted to see which gadget we'll get here first.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anybody know what kind of laptop/gadget they will be providing? I am looking to buy a Surface 3 tablet for school but wanted to see which gadget we'll get here first.

Thanks!

We haven't received any official word yet on what the tech package will be, but rumor has it that it will include a Surface Book.

Thanks!
the answer they gave me was 95% sure it'll be the Surface Book. Join our facebook if you haven't yet. We discuss things like this there.

the answer they gave me was 95% sure it'll be the Surface Book. Join our facebook if you haven't yet. We discuss things like this there.
All the cool kids are doing it

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

See yall in las cruces accepted into the Biomedical Science Program

Reactions: 5 users
Just sit tight. DA list, from what I understand, is the priority wait-list. There will likely be movement all the way until the first week of classes. Many programs will have shifting student bodies right up until orientation as people make last minute choices. Just hold on and good luck!

Raj, can you help me out with the accepted page link. I am trying to get some info on housing and hopefully meet some of y'all before moving to Las Cruces. For some reason I couldn't PM you

Thanks

Pat

Raj, can you help me out with the accepted page link. I am trying to get some info on housing and hopefully meet some of y'all before moving to Las Cruces. For some reason I couldn't PM you

Thanks

Pat
Hey, Pat

I have heard about the BCOM graduate programs, but do you know what kind of research will be available to the graduate students at BCOM? I was curious because another school I visited recently had a whole building dedicated to labs for their graduate students.

Hey, Pat

I have heard about the BCOM graduate programs, but do you know what kind of research will be available to the graduate students at BCOM? I was curious because another school I visited recently had a whole building dedicated to labs for their graduate students.

The Foundations of Biomedical Science appears to be the only graduate program at BCOM and from the looks of it there will be no research involved for the students enrolled in that. It is just a one-year program of traditional classroom styled lectures.

Has anyone been able to speak with admission regarding the DA list?
I did couple weeks ago and they stated that while they couldn't guarantee everyone would get off the list, right now it looked positive that everyone would be able to get off and start this year. Give them a call they are very friendly

I did couple weeks ago and they stated that while they couldn't guarantee everyone would get off the list, right now it looked positive that everyone would be able to get off and start this year. Give them a call they are very friendly

Thank you! I'm excited! Only thing that makes me nervous is getting pulled in last minute and finding housing and such.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The Foundations of Biomedical Science appears to be the only graduate program at BCOM and from the looks of it there will be no research involved for the students enrolled in that. It is just a one-year program of traditional classroom styled lectures.

" "

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Does anyone know what the point of the regular waitlist is at BCOM? From some of the posts here, the DA list may or may not all get accepted. So if they made this 100+ person regular waitlist, what is the point? Are they going to move some over to the DA list?

DA list takes priority. These are students schools absolutely want, they just don't have an available seat at this moment. Let's say everyone on DA gets a seat, then the school would move to regular wait list. If you're on the regular wait list and don't get a seat, you reapply next year. If you're DA you simply matriculate next year. Most schools I've interacted with, that use DA's, wind up with a large number of those students starting the same cycle they were deferred in.

DA: we want you.
Wait list: we think we might want you, keep the work up and hit us with update letters.

A little late on this, but I was accepted off the DA list last week. Also, they are still interviewing so people who haven't gotten accepted hang in there. Spots will open up.

Can someone send me the FB link?

Thank you! I'm excited! Only thing that makes me nervous is getting pulled in last minute and finding housing and such.
Yay! Thats good news!! I'am also worried about the housing and also the financial aid if I get pulled in last minute but I am sure it would all work out. Lets stay positive! :)

A little late on this, but I was accepted off the DA list last week. Also, they are still interviewing so people who haven't gotten accepted hang in there. Spots will open up.

I think the fb page is BCOM Class of 2020, and congrats on your acceptance to this year!

D-Town represent holla

Am I right in understanding that interviews are now over and individuals with multiple acceptances are required to give them up at this point?

Am I right in understanding that interviews are now over and individuals with multiple acceptances are required to give them up at this point?
My understanding is that if you have put down a deposit and been accepted elsewhere the spot is yours until you relinquish it. People just want to make sure they have all their ducks in a row prior to burning 3 grand. Don't worry though. I know of at least one acceptance that is going to open up for sure.

My understanding is that if you have put down a deposit and been accepted elsewhere the spot is yours until you relinquish it. People just want to make sure they have all their ducks in a row prior to burning 3 grand. Don't worry though. I know of at least one acceptance that is going to open up for sure.

I do not know for sure if this is true for every school, but just recently an SDN user posted that at his Marian interview the dean of the school said that on May 15th he receives a packet detailing which students are holding multiple acceptances and that the dean reserves the right to rescind acceptances if the students do not pick a school within a strict time frame following that date. Like I said, I am not sure if EVERY school does this, but I would imagine if this is true then every school would use this resource to their advantage as it is a burden to rush around a week before school starts to fill positions of students who withdraw at the last second.

^this also only for allopathic schools and does not include osteopathic school rules.

Osteopathic schools can still obtain a list, though, Marian is an Osteopathic school that was referenced. I am not sure what all the details are, but according to an SDN user their dean was adamant about using this to narrow down their list of students with multiple acceptances.

You're absolutely right! Here is the Osteopathic one on page 23: https://www.aacom.org/docs/default-source/cib/2016_aacomas-instructions.pdf?sfvrsn=6
This is over a year old, but even though Goro said there was no way of knowing if you have even applied to other schools, it seems as though a decision was pending about whether to implement these guidelines.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/are-do-acceptances-known-by-other-do-schools.1114641/
AACOM/AACOMAS has "traffic guidelines" that, if similar to AAMC/AMCAS would indeed have rules for when acceptance must be turned down by acceptees. The Council of Osteopathic Medical Admissions Officers (COMAO) were submitting updates to this and seeking approval from AACOM Board of Deans in 2011-2012. Unlike the AAMC version, I do not have a copy of this though I will inquire with the powers that be

(http://www.aacom.org/news-and-events/publications/archives/2011/november-2011/council-news-and-updates)

We have no idea if you've been accepted, or even applied to, other schools, DO or MD.

Edit #2 I found this on the AACOMAS CIB

"Starting April 1, osteopathic medical colleges report to AACOMAS the names and identification
of candidates who have paid a deposit, hold a position at an osteopathic medical
college entering class or both. After May 15, AACOMAS reports to each institution the names
and candidates for its entering class who hold an acceptance(s) at additional institutions.
An osteopathic medical college may rescind an offer of admissions to a candidate
who has paid deposits to or holds positions at multiple institutions. If the osteopathic medical
college chooses to withdraw the candidate from the entering class, the college must give
the candidate a minimum 15-day notice. After the 15-day notice, if the candidate does not
respond and is withdrawn from a college, the deposit is forfeited and the seat may be given to
another candidate. Therefore, prior to May 15, applicants need to withdraw from any college(s)
which they do not plan to attend and only hold a position at one college of osteopathic medicine to avoid having positions withdrawn." (AACOMAS 2016 CIB pg 25)

Last edited:
Well, I'll be damned!!!

They're actually doing something smart!!!

This is over a year old, but even though Goro said there was no way of knowing if you have even applied to other schools, it seems as though a decision was pending about whether to implement these guidelines.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/are-do-acceptances-known-by-other-do-schools.1114641/

Edit #2 I found this on the AACOMAS CIB

"Starting April 1, osteopathic medical colleges report to AACOMAS the names and identification
of candidates who have paid a deposit, hold a position at an osteopathic medical
college entering class or both. After May 15, AACOMAS reports to each institution the names
and candidates for its entering class who hold an acceptance(s) at additional institutions.
An osteopathic medical college may rescind an offer of admissions to a candidate
who has paid deposits to or holds positions at multiple institutions. If the osteopathic medical
college chooses to withdraw the candidate from the entering class, the college must give
the candidate a minimum 15-day notice. After the 15-day notice, if the candidate does not
respond and is withdrawn from a college, the deposit is forfeited and the seat may be given to
another candidate. Therefore, prior to May 15, applicants need to withdraw from any college(s)
which they do not plan to attend and only hold a position at one college of osteopathic medicine to avoid having positions withdrawn." (AACOMAS 2016 CIB pg 25)

Reactions: 1 users
Hi guys, for those of you that are on the DA list, I spoke to Adrian yesterday and he mentioned that there continues to be movement of students :) I figure I would share that info with you, let's keep our fingers crossed!

does that mean there will be a big movement around May 15 and slightly less after that? Because schools don't HAVE to rescind it technically, right?

does that mean there will be a big movement around May 15 and slightly less after that? Because schools don't HAVE to rescind it technically, right?
I suppose they don't, but it will only cause a burden on them if they don't take that opportunity and use it.

Well guys I just rescinded my acceptance. There's another spot for those of you on the DA list. I feel for you guys! Good luck to all of you.

Reactions: 2 users
Good luck wherever you're headed instead! I hope we reach the Waitlist before the end!

I called at the beggining of the week (Monday or Tuesday) and Adrian said that there contines to be movement but it is slightly slower than anticipated

Just thought I'd let you guys know that I got pulled off the DA list yesterday and I'll be starting this August! For anyone who is still waiting on the DA list, I wouldn't worry too much... I've been waiting for awhile and thought I was going to be pulled off sooner, but it happened eventually. Try not to let it stress you out too much. :)

Reactions: 2 users
Just thought I'd let you guys know that I got pulled off the DA list yesterday and I'll be starting this August! For anyone who is still waiting on the DA list, I wouldn't worry too much... I've been waiting for awhile and thought I was going to be pulled off sooner, but it happened eventually. Try not to let it stress you out too much. :)

Thank you for the update! We'll keep waiting patiently:) congratulations!

Congrats!!

It sounds like DA is in a good place (sincere congratulations!), but has anyone spoken with Adrian regarding the waitlist lately?

It sounds like DA is in a good place (sincere congratulations!), but has anyone spoken with Adrian regarding the waitlist lately?
It's looking grim tbh.

Email Dr. Mychaskiw directly. He will let you know where you stand in the waitlist. Good luck!

Talked with Adrian last week. He said that there was a handful of people giving up their spots and they are expecting to see some movements in the coming weeks. Also, mentioned that there's approx. 25-30 people on DA list but they are hoping to get through the DA and a good portion of the waitlist. Unfortunately, he also said that they received a large number of very qualified applicants towards the end of the cycle due to some hopping over from MD last minute (which puts them on the DA list).

Reactions: 1 users
Talked with Adrian last week. He said that there was a handful of people giving up their spots and they are expecting to see some movements in the coming weeks. Also, mentioned that there's approx. 25-30 people on DA list but they are hoping to get through the DA and a good portion of the waitlist. Unfortunately, he also said that they received a large number of very qualified applicants towards the end of the cycle due to some hopping over from MD last minute (which puts them on the DA list).

I imagine those rejected from New Mexico, Arizona, and Texas MD schools flooded BCOM late in cycle

I'm surprised to hear they will even touch the waitlist. It seemed like the DA list would fill their class up fully and leave the waitlisters behind.
Not over till it's over. If you're on the waitlist, keep the school updated with current scores/grades, etc.

Last edited:
I have, but still radio silence. Heck, I'd take a move to the DA list at this point.
I will be sending good vibes. I'd also tell you to keep aggressive and be working on your applications for this cycle as well, if you haven't already. I applied the first possible day last year and that had a lot to do with how well I did this cycle, I think.