Buffalo PharmD (2009 Fall) Waitlist-

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
UB is soooooo frustrating!!!!!:mad::confused::mad:

I just can't believe we've been dealing with this for a year already. I applied August of 2008. It's been a year of torture from them, and it will all be figured out one way or another in about a month. Kinda scary, no? If they only take 2-3 people off the waitlist...my chances are very, very slim -- 2-3 out of 30 pretty much. Watch, no one drops out this year an they don't go to the waitlist at all. This sucks :(

Members don't see this ad.

I just can't believe we've been dealing with this for a year already. I applied August of 2008. It's been a year of torture from them, and it will all be figured out one way or another in about a month. Kinda scary, no? If they only take 2-3 people off the waitlist...my chances are very, very slim -- 2-3 out of 30 pretty much. Watch, no one drops out this year an they don't go to the waitlist at all. This sucks :(

i hear ya!!! i've been on the waitlist since december and i know you've been on it longer than that!!! It really has been a torturous year!! Good luck with everything! I really hope UB works out for you! You deserve it!!!! You never know what might happen at the last minute! :rolleyes:

i hear ya!!! i've been on the waitlist since december and i know you've been on it longer than that!!! It really has been a torturous year!! Good luck with everything! I really hope UB works out for you! You deserve it!!!! You never know what might happen at the last minute! :rolleyes:

aw this makes me sad. Maybe we really don't know and we will all get into UB!
But...if it goes like it looks like it's going to go, then good luck at Nova!! At least the weather will be amazing:D

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied right on the deadline - Feb 1 (or whenever it was) and was waitlisted in april (i think)
I think I would go crazy if I was waitlisted since october

Kirbypuff - we'll both have to fight KristaMPH. Though I think she's just gonna give UB the finger and go to Florida :laugh:

This thread used to be all "anyone know any information about the waitlist" to "**** you UB!!!!!!!!"

This is the official **** about UB thread

To those who got accepted elsewhere- congrats.

To those whom their wait list spot is all they have- good luck.

But c'mon, how can you complain about a situation that consists of people more competitive than you notdropping out of a such a desirable program as UB's?

The wait list situation at UB is aggravating- I agree, and I also was once a victim of it. If you have other options, don't be foolish- don't put all of your eggs in the UB wait list basket.

The situation at hand is this: People were accepted, they agreed to come, and UB made a wait list to help fill seats if people's minds changed. As uncomfortable as you all feel now in July, you were warned that these days would come.

Admissions can't give you much more than they have: there has been no movement... meaning people didn't lie about intending to attend. Sounds like maybe a step in the right direction to me.

To those who got accepted elsewhere- congrats.

To those whom their wait list spot is all they have- good luck.

But c'mon, how can you complain about a situation that consists of people more competitive than you notdropping out of a such a desirable program as UB's?

The wait list situation at UB is aggravating- I agree, and I also was once a victim of it. If you have other options, don't be foolish- don't put all of your eggs in the UB wait list basket.

The situation at hand is this: People were accepted, they agreed to come, and UB made a wait list to help fill seats if people's minds changed. As uncomfortable as you all feel now in July, you were warned that these days would come.

Admissions can't give you much more than they have: there has been no movement... meaning people didn't lie about intending to attend. Sounds like maybe a step in the right direction to me.

I don't think anyone is complaining about the fact that other people got in instead of us. The problem is that dealing with the admissions office is awful. They contradict themselves, are incredibly ambiguous and generally don't seem to care about their students. In addition to that, we all have our own circumstances that we are dealing with - whether it be moving to a different state, commuting farther than we'd like to, or having to apply again next admissions cycle.
While I do appreciate your input, I don't think it's necessary to "put us in our place." We all have our frustrations, and I think it is completely appropriate to be able to share our frustrations on a public forum.

I don't think anyone is complaining about the fact that other people got in instead of us. The problem is that dealing with the admissions office is awful. They contradict themselves, are incredibly ambiguous and generally don't seem to care about their students. In addition to that, we all have our own circumstances that we are dealing with - whether it be moving to a different state, commuting farther than we'd like to, or having to apply again next admissions cycle.
While I do appreciate your input, I don't think it's necessary to "put us in our place." We all have our frustrations, and I think it is completely appropriate to be able to share our frustrations on a public forum.

I don't see how repeatedly telling you that there is no movement is ambiguous. Seems pretty clear to me.

Venting is a great solution for relieving stress! Bottling it all up only leads to boiling blood pressure :laugh: - BUT... after we vent, we should relax, accept things as they are (while being grateful if we at least got an acceptance somewhere), and move on with what's been given us.
I've decided to accept my placement and plan accordingly (and stop thinking about my alternate status at my first choice school.) I understand and accept the fact that while I'm waiting, there is probably some movement off the waitlist going on - and my stats and ranking are just not as good! I don't believe there are unranked waiting lists - I think that's just a way for the admissions office to keep things running more smoothly on their end. I'm sure they'd rather avoid hurting feelings and dealing with overly pushy/pesty applicants.
If I do get called off the alternate list, I'll be running with bells on - but in the meantime I'm not going to count on it and keep it in the back of my mind. Better to be completely surprised than extremely disappointed!

Alendadoma,
If they don't take you, it's their loss!!!
Your passion for this school is remarkable - as there are not many applicants who would still remain faithful to a school that has waitlisted them twice in the same cycle (I, for one, would have been turned off by them the second time they waitlisted me - especially when being accepted with open arms to another school.)
Remember - in the end it's all what you make of it. Networking and connections are the main ingredients to where your career path leads to (much more important than where you're coming from.)
I truly believe that a majority of Buffalo pharmD students are there, not so much for the reputation, but for the reasonable tuition. The education you receive is only one contributing factor to what you'll need to know on the job - the experiences and outside training you'll receive will be the main contributor to your ability and achievement in the field!
I'm sure you'll make a great pharmacist - no matter what school you end up attending! Best of luck!

Venting is a great solution for relieving stress! Bottling it all up only leads to boiling blood pressure :laugh: - BUT... after we vent, we should relax, accept things as they are (while being grateful if we at least got an acceptance somewhere), and move on with what's been given us.
I've decided to accept my placement and plan accordingly (and stop thinking about my alternate status at my first choice school.) I understand and accept the fact that while I'm waiting, there is probably some movement off the waitlist going on - and my stats and ranking are just not as good! I don't believe there are unranked waiting lists - I think that's just a way for the admissions office to keep things running more smoothly on their end. I'm sure they'd rather avoid hurting feelings and dealing with overly pushy/pesty applicants.
If I do get called off the alternate list, I'll be running with bells on - but in the meantime I'm not going to count on it and keep it in the back of my mind. Better to be completely surprised than extremely disappointed!

I completely agree! I have no problems with attending another school! And if by some chance UB does come through I'll be ecstatic.
Anyway, I will stop venting, I guess current UB pharmacy students don't like it :p
Good luck to all of us!!!

I don't see how repeatedly telling you that there is no movement is ambiguous. Seems pretty clear to me.

it's not that.

If you read the whole thread and part of the UB fall 2009 thread (that died awhile ago) UB gave us conflicting information about their policies and how they take people off the wiatlist, what it means to be waitlisted before vs. after the interview whether they interview people who were waitlsited before etc.
Then there's this:
""This following information is important to your request regarding waitlist:
Hello,
We do not rank the wait list. We replace the student(s) who withdraw with
similar characteristics - it depends on who withdraws.""

I really do not feel like recounting them all but their admissions office is really confusing. A ranking would be easier.

I agree, UB does send conflicting and unclear messages. Not only while we've all been waitlisted- the emails, the phone calls all pretty pointless, mysterious, and unhelpful. Even before I had my application in this cycle I met with Cindy, Jennifer Hess and Gail B..something or other, and they all gave me different opinions....cindy wasn't any help at all, hess told me I probably wouldn't get in, and Gail was all over me getting in when I met with her and then never responded to any of my future emails......so my questions is ...which is it UB? sometimes you want me, sometimes you don't....but always you're confusing.:confused::confused::confused: lol

And after reading the last few posts, I don't understand why people are getting on our case for venting....this is the waitlist thread, if you don't like it...don't read it...go read the accepted thread for Buffalo if you want giggles and sunshine....we can vent on here and say whatever we want, thats what this website is for-- students helping students right??? GEEZ!!!:scared: ok i'm done

Members don't see this ad :)
What information do these rants provide? Student to student? Past, present and future?

I was in all of your shoes two years ago- July came and still no word. It was 2007 and I was a member of the "not yet interviewed" waitlist.

I had already paid my tuition at SJF when UB called.

So, since that was two application cycles ago, admissions would not be incorrect using my scenario as a best case for all of you.

That year at least 5 people from an interview session in July made it into the final class of 2011.

Admissions, knowing the past yet adjusting for the current state of things, tries to answer your emails as truthfully and optimistically as possible while still also not lending you any false hope. You find it ambiguous, and you could say that, but I know that this year has been different than the last few and they are adjusting for it. In the past, there have been 10's of spots open going into the summer. That is currently not the case. There have been years when the entire wait list has been exhausted for applicants, where everyone got their "day in court". The answers you seek are often opinions- and admissions rightfully stops short of providing opinions as answers.

On SDN I try to stop short of providing heavily opinionated, conversational information to people. These rants make it sound like admissions has not already coordinated the invitation, interview and admission decisions to the ~200 people interviewed, let alone the other 1000+ applications that were reviewed to come up with that esteemed list.

So yes, I am heavily critical of your rants- as a UB student who can identify with your current state of affairs, and also as a student who once used SDN for advice and now provides advice.

What information do these rants provide? Student to student? Past, present and future?
So yes, I am heavily critical of your rants- as a UB student who can identify with your current state of affairs, and also as a student who once used SDN for advice and now provides advice.

We are especially pissed off about conflicting infromation. Which you haven't responded to. At least they could get their information right.

And, to answer your first question, student to student.
We, on the waitlist, happen to appreciate talking to each other. And this happens to be what SDN was created for, believe it or not.

We are a vibrant nonprofit community of thousands of pre-health and health professional students from across the United States and Canada. Membership is free.
The mission of SDN is to assist and encourage all students through the challenging and complicated healthcare education process.
We are a community. And a community includes sharing your feelings. It helps to vent about the process and our frustrations on it. You may not think so, but we do. I have not heard anyone on the waitlist complain against lack of information and against venting. It is only current pharmacy students.

So if you don't like our rants, do not respond. Or do not read. I do not respond to threads that I think are stupid. Simple as that. If current pharmacy students do not want to share their feelings, by all means, go share "just advice" over at your board. We are perfectly happy venting here.

Last edited:
We are especially pissed off about conflicting infromation. Which you haven't responded to. At least they could get their information right.

And , top answer your first question, student to student.
We, on the waitlist, happen to appreciate talking to each other. And this happens to be what SDN was created for, believe it or not.

We are a community. And a community includes sharing your feelings. It helps to vent about the process and our frustrations on it. You may not think so, but we do. I have not heard anyone on the waitlist complain against lack of information and against venting. It is only current pharmacy students.

So if you don't like our rants, do not respond. Or do not read. I do not respond to threads that I think are stupid. Simple as that. If current pharmacy students do not want to share their feelings, by all means, go share "just advice" over at your board. We are perfectly happy venting here.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Other than that, I will bite my tongue.

I don't come around these boards much these days, but I just checked in the other day because I was curious about movement on the UB waitlist or if there was a lot of activity from my future classmates on the other thread. I am quite shocked at the lack of waitlist movement, but at the same time intrigued. I am truly sorry for the frustration I have read about in this thread, but I have to admit that I don't really get it.

I'm not going to get into it too much here, I will just say this: For those of you who are so frustrated and angry towards UB and its staff, why do you still want so badly to go there when you have been accepted elsewhere (at some other pretty darn good schools from what I understand)? All schools have their quirks, their issues that make people frustrated, but if you feel they have been jerking you around and being incompetent and lacking consistency, why are you still begging them to let you in? If you have not been accepted elsewhere, I can totally understand the frustrating and agonizing wait. But if my number one school played those games with me for this long and I had a totally sweet other option, I would just change my number one school to the totally sweet other option. It really isn't going to matter that much where you go, as long as you are dedicated and open-minded about opportunities and networking. And I wouldn't want to pay four years tuition to a school that treated me like crap for a whole year.

And I am not just saying this to put my opinion out there... I wanted to let you know that UB sent out a second reminder email about orientation today, which included this note at the end

"If circumstances change any time after acceptance and you no longer intend on staying at UB, let the staff know so that they may offer a seat to the next selected applicant. Please notify the staff no later than August 7th."

I hope that can at least give some of you an idea of a more definite timeline if you choose to continue waiting on UB.

I am truly sorry for the frustration I have read about in this thread, but I have to admit that I don't really get it.

I'm not going to get into it too much here, I will just say this: For those of you who are so frustrated and angry towards UB and its staff, why do you still want so badly to go there when you have been accepted elsewhere (at some other pretty darn good schools from what I understand)? All schools have their quirks, their issues that make people frustrated, but if you feel they have been jerking you around and being incompetent and lacking consistency, why are you still begging them to let you in? If you have not been accepted elsewhere, I can totally understand the frustrating and agonizing wait. But if my number one school played those games with me for this long and I had a totally sweet other option, I would just change my number one school to the totally sweet other option. It really isn't going to matter that much where you go, as long as you are dedicated and open-minded about opportunities and networking. And I wouldn't want to pay four years tuition to a school that treated me like crap for a whole year.

And I am not just saying this to put my opinion out there... I wanted to let you know that UB sent out a second reminder email about orientation today, which included this note at the end

"If circumstances change any time after acceptance and you no longer intend on staying at UB, let the staff know so that they may offer a seat to the next selected applicant. Please notify the staff no later than August 7th."

I hope that can at least give some of you an idea of a more definite timeline if you choose to continue waiting on UB.

Thank you for the information at the end!!

As we said - our frustration is mainly about the confusion we are getting from the office. The conflicting information, mostly. I, personally, am not frustrated with the SJF waitlist because even though there is a lack of movement, they have been consistent with the information given.

About why people are not switching their number one school to a different school (I am not one of those people because I am on 2 waitlists and not accepted at any other schools), a couple of the reasons are cost and location. A few people are NYS residents who are also accepted to St. John Fisher. SJF is a hell of a lot more expensive compared to UB for NYS residents. Also, some might want to stay in the Buffalo area. They may not want to go through the hassle of moving. I canot speak for them, but those are a couple of the reasons.

I don't come around these boards much these days, but I just checked in the other day because I was curious about movement on the UB waitlist or if there was a lot of activity from my future classmates on the other thread. I am quite shocked at the lack of waitlist movement, but at the same time intrigued. I am truly sorry for the frustration I have read about in this thread, but I have to admit that I don't really get it.

Yes, thank you for the information at the end.

Yeah, I got accepted to some pretty good schools. However, after thinking about it A LOT I've come to the conclusion that it wouldn't be right to move so far away at this point in my life.
But that shouldn't matter. I'm tired of defending myself on these forums for wanting to go to a specific school, and thinking it is unfair how they have treated me. And yes, regardless of that, if they accept me..I will go.

If you don't like what's posted, don't read the thread -- don't respond. Stick to giving advice when you are asked for it. It's not fair for someone to think that our feelings are unconstituted.

Even though I didn't get into UB, I was waitlisted at another school and all I have to say is I can feel your pain...I'm sorry for you all for having to WAIT this long..but I hope things will work out for everyone one way or another in a good way..

I'm tired of defending myself on these forums for wanting to go to a specific school, and thinking it is unfair how they have treated me. And yes, regardless of that, if they accept me..I will go.

If you don't like what's posted, don't read the thread -- don't respond. Stick to giving advice when you are asked for it. It's not fair for someone to think that our feelings are unconstituted.

I wasn't asking anyone to defend their position, I was simply stating that I do not understand the reasoning for it, as I would make very different decisions if I was in the same shoes. I was curious as to why. I wasn't saying that you are stupid or silly for being so loyal to UB, just that I would not be.

If I am going to get attacked for stating that I don't understand someone's decisions, don't worry, I won't be reading, and I certainly won't be offering any more advice.

I wasn't asking anyone to defend their position, I was simply stating that I do not understand the reasoning for it, as I would make very different decisions if I was in the same shoes. I was curious as to why. I wasn't saying that you are stupid or silly for being so loyal to UB, just that I would not be.

If I am going to get attacked for stating that I don't understand someone's decisions, don't worry, I won't be reading, and I certainly won't be offering any more advice.

I am sure that it was not alenadoma's intention to offend you. There were a bunch of pharmacy students telling us to quit posting our feelings and yours did not come at the greatest time.

Alena - I don't think he meant any harm (like the other posts came off) - I think that he/she was just curious.

And about the bold - we are not necessarily loyal to UB per se (though maybe some are), we are loyal of Buffalo the city/area. A lot of Buffalonians/Western New Yorkers have INSANE loyalty to our home and some do not want to leave. Those that do leave consider themselves Buffalonians in other cities and cheer for Buffalo sports teams, talk with Buffalonian tendencies, etc. Are you from Western NY? If you are, you should understand our feelings. If not - it is hard to explain. Some WNYers want to leave so bad but most realize that WNY is still home. Maybe not perfect, but it's a part of who we are.

Others may not feel so strongly, but would not liek to move because of inconvienence.
(not to mention the cheaper cost).

To sandoz - Sorry I misunderstood, I really did not mean to offend. Advice is really appreciated, sorry I just bit your head off like that :(

Anyways, got my official rejection from UB. I'm sad, but at least now I know where I'll be for the next four years, I'm happy about that and pretty excited for this new chapter in my life :)

To sandoz - Sorry I misunderstood, I really did not mean to offend. Advice is really appreciated, sorry I just bit your head off like that :(

Anyways, got my official rejection from UB. I'm sad, but at least now I know where I'll be for the next four years, I'm happy about that and pretty excited for this new chapter in my life :)
WHAT? They're sending out official rejection letters?? :(

I htink she just did - or is very close to it lol
WOW. I think we're being too harsh on the staff at UB, because if that was my job, it wouldn't be easy keeping waitlisters up-to-date on something that's out of my control. And the conflicting information probably comes from two people who have two different perceptions; one person is more hopeful about movement than the other. But oh well, I guess we can all kiss UB for Fall of 2009 goodbye now. :(

It was nice commiserating with all of you guys!

Got mine too. I would assume that KristaMPH and Kirbypuff also got one.

If anyone is curious
On behalf of the Admissions Committee at the School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences, I would like to thank you for your interest in the doctor of pharmacy (PharmD) program at the University at Buffalo. The volume of highly qualified applicants who apply to our School places us in the undesirable position of having to disappoint many excellent candidates. I regret to inform you that your request for Fall 2009 admission has been denied.

I guess I will be in the MA program in Microbiology and Immunology at UB instead. Nice talking to you guys! Good luck at your respective schools!

So did everyone on the wait-list receive this official rejection e-mail? I haven't received one yet. I don't know if they just forgot about me or if they are reevaluating those on the wait-list.

So did everyone on the wait-list receive this official rejection e-mail? I haven't received one yet. I don't know if they just forgot about me or if they are reevaluating those on the wait-list.

I know that they are not having a lot of accepted people decline. SO they are probably cutting down the waitlist so that here is only a few people on it.
Were you waitlisted after the interview? I would assume that a few of those people would be kept and the people who were waitlisted before the interview are all cut. Just a guess though.

SO they probably did not forget about you. I would consider your lack of rejection a good thing. Why don't you call Jennifer Hess to ask aboiut your status? Just say something like "some other people i know who were on the waitlist were rejected, what about me" type of thing

I know that they are not having a lot of accepted people decline. SO they are probably cutting down the waitlist so that here is only a few people on it.
Were you waitlisted after the interview? I would assume that a few of those people would be kept and the people who were waitlisted before the interview are all cut. Just a guess though.

SO they probably did not forget about you. I would consider your lack of rejection a good thing. Why don't you call Jennifer Hess to ask aboiut your status? Just say something like "some other people i know who were on the waitlist were rejected, what about me" type of thing

I am wait-listed after an interview. I'll call Buffalo as soon as I can to find out if they just forgot about me, :laugh:.

Hey guys

I just received my email from UB denying my admission. (I was waitlisted before the interview for those wondering.)

I also talked to Jennifer Hess recently. She said there is no movement in the class. She said usually there are signs that people may not come such as not sending in all their forms, etc. but the class as of now has been punctual. She also said the obvious "We are reminding them to cal us if they choose another school, etc, etc."

Well, at least now I don't have to decide between schools.

SJFC here I come!

Good luck to everyone else still waiting.

-Tom

Hey guys I've been out of the loop for awhile. I checked my email today and also got the official rejection from UB. Booooo! 3rd time they've rejected me.... There ya go current students rip me apart for venting on this thread..... I have a BS and an MPH from UB... Paid them tuition for 5 years and lived here my whole life so yes I have a reason to vent on here. Sorry to hear a similar fate for my fellow waitlisters!! I wish u good luck whereever you go in life! Message me if you would like to keep in touch on facebook!!! I just moved down to fort lauderdale to go to Nova! Ttyl!!

Hey guys I've been out of the loop for awhile. I checked my email today and also got the official rejection from UB. Booooo! 3rd time they've rejected me.... There ya go current students rip me apart for venting on this thread..... I have a BS and an MPH from UB... Paid them tuition for 5 years and lived here my whole life so yes I have a reason to vent on here. Sorry to hear a similar fate for my fellow waitlisters!! I wish u good luck whereever you go in life! Message me if you would like to keep in touch on facebook!!! I just moved down to fort lauderdale to go to Nova! Ttyl!!

YAY!! It must be damn hot right now (I'm not that much into really hot weather) but it'll be worth it in January when it's freezing up here and nice down there :D:D

YAY!! It must be damn hot right now (I'm not that much into really hot weather) but it'll be worth it in January when it's freezing up here and nice down there :D:D

good luck to you girls!!! let's be fb friends!! I'll message you guys :)

I haven't received anything since my interview, no rejection letter or anything. I'm still keeping my hopes up, because Fisher hasn't said a thing to me either. No news is good news I guess. I'm in no rush to find out lol.

I haven't received anything since my interview, no rejection letter or anything. I'm still keeping my hopes up, because Fisher hasn't said a thing to me either. No news is good news I guess. I'm in no rush to find out lol.

Yeah I am hoping no news is good news too. Glad to hear I'm not the only one who hasn't received an email or a letter.