BU vs Northeastern for Neuroscience

Tdresch5

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I think I've read 37984574380 articles at this point regarding the various caveats of choosing an undergrad for pre med, so I would love to hear from some "real" people about their opinions on the two schools that I am currently deciding between.

Right now, I have narrowed down my transfer search to BU and Northeastern for neuroscience/pre med. By the time I enroll, I will have completed Bio I/II, Chem I/II, Physics, and Calc, so orgo is still on the table for my next university. Basically, I'm torn due to the pros and cons of each institution, and would really, really, really (really) appreciate some insight by people more experienced than me in the matter.

Northeastern:
Pros: The co-op is an amazing opportunity to gain clinical experience, foster connections, and provide extra time during non-co-op semesters for volunteering. It would also allow me to build a more robust extracurricular resume when applying to med schools that I think BU would lack. Additionally, NU has never been known to deflate grades (sometimes, they actually do the opposite), so I am confident I could continue to maintain a strong GPA there. NU's study abroad program would be much easier to complete as a pre med student than BU's due to the scheduling of the school.

Cons: Neuroscience at NU, while being one of the oldest programs of its kind in the country, does not provide as many expert professors in the field as BU does. NU also has less impressive neuroscience facilities than BU, and the program all around seems less rigorous, so I'm not sure if that would turn off adcoms. In the neuroscience/medical community, it seems as if NU is less regarded as BU.

Boston University:
Pros: BU has a strong, undergrad neuroscience program that is globally ranked. Its facilities are superior to NU's, with one lab even having an MRI for students to utilize. Professors there are experts in the field and typically work at BU's med school, so connections with them could potentially be helpful. The rigor of the coursework at BU might be more beneficial in preparing for the MCATS.

Cons: Grade deflation. After reading articles and knowing pre med students who have attended BU, grade deflation is a major thing there. I've even read one horror story about an entry-level bio course failing out 40% of the incoming class. That being said, I have most of the "weed out" courses complete, barring orgo (which will probably be absolutely terrible anywhere). The grade deflation could result in an extremely lowered self esteem for me (I know- I need to toughen up before med school, but I'm being honest with myself and where I'm at right now).

To be honest, I think I know where I would be happiest, but I'm not sure if it's the school that would put me in a better position for getting into med school.

Advice from older and wiser members would be amazing, as I'm hearing different opinions from everyone around me. Thank you for taking the time to read this obscenely long post!

Members don't see this ad.