BU School of Public Health Class of 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MPHApplicant902

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
As anyone committed to BUSPH? :rolleyes: I will be attending this fall, Social & Behavioral Sciences. I'm looking forward to the Accepted Students Day in April! :D

Members don't see this ad.

:) me too..for HPM
Btw I decided to apply for BU that day when I was browsing SDN and saw your acceptance! So..thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't think so..finals until end of April..if I'm not mistakened there's gonna be another one later during fall?

waiting to see the financial aid packages from the schools first to make a final decision. but congrats to all of you guys!

Yes I am in for international health with 12k merit award but that still leaves an expensive tuition behind. I visited in January before I applied and I doubt I would be going for the open day.

I got in Emory (global health), which is cheaper, even without a merit award.

I'm in! Class of 2014 for Social and Behavioral Sciences! Can't wait!!! :cool:

As BU was the school I did my MPH, if anyone has questions, feel free to ask!

Congrats to all who got accepted and are attending!

What are the lectures like? And are there events/workshops/class interactions?

I was also accepted and right now I am trying to decide between BU and Columbia for Health Policy and Management.

How do you find the students? Do people socialize? Are you at all disappointed with how the program is run?

My two big concerns about Columbia is new program this year and I did their postbacc pre-medical program 6 years ago and it was the worst academic experience I ever had.

What are the lectures like? And are there events/workshops/class interactions?

The core classes are big (the ones everyone has to take). Many big classes offer breakout groups/sessions, which can make the material more engaging. But specialty classes tend to be small (<20).

There are definitely some active groups on campus, and since the campus is shared with the medical and dental schools, there tend to be a few groups that interact together. I found the practicum and career offices to be quite useful, so I'd recommend chatting with folks in those offices.

How do you find the students? Do people socialize? Are you at all disappointed with how the program is run?

My two big concerns about Columbia is new program this year and I did their postbacc pre-medical program 6 years ago and it was the worst academic experience I ever had.

I enjoyed my time at BU, and I made a few good friends at BU, one works at EPA as a toxicologist and another is a researcher (PhD) at UW. So I had friends that did well for themselves.

The school itself is split into full-time/part-time students. And the full-time students tend to be fresh grads and the part-time students tend to be working professionals with families. I didn't make a great effort to make new friends since I already lived in Boston for 4 years at the time I enrolled, so I'm probably not the best person to ask on that front since I just hung out with my existing friends.

I liked the fact that BU offered a very open curriculum which I definitely took advantage of. There's also a lot of choice in what you can take. The dean, Robert Meenan also holds town halls where he listens to student's complaints and tries to incorporate changes into the BUSPH culture. So I do think the administration cares about the student experience and tries to accommodate as much as they can.

The experience at BU was positive enough for me that I got drawn into the field and that I'm now a researcher and have continued my education on for years after getting the MPH. So take that for what it's worth :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I also just go in for Social & Behavioral Sciences! Does anyone know when the Accepted Student day is?

Hi Anna - Congratulations!!! Accepted Students' Days are April 6 and 27 - you can RSVP here Sph.bu.edu/yourein

I'm going on April 6, which I didn't realize was Good Friday until now, but I planned on taking the day off anyway, so why not? ;)

Thank you too, Stories, for your insights. Much appreciated!

For those with fb, there is an accepted students day group on the official BUSPH facebook page.

The core classes are big (the ones everyone has to take). Many big classes offer breakout groups/sessions, which can make the material more engaging. But specialty classes tend to be small (<20).

There are definitely some active groups on campus, and since the campus is shared with the medical and dental schools, there tend to be a few groups that interact together. I found the practicum and career offices to be quite useful, so I'd recommend chatting with folks in those offices.

I enjoyed my time at BU, and I made a few good friends at BU, one works at EPA as a toxicologist and another is a researcher (PhD) at UW. So I had friends that did well for themselves.

The school itself is split into full-time/part-time students. And the full-time students tend to be fresh grads and the part-time students tend to be working professionals with families. I didn't make a great effort to make new friends since I already lived in Boston for 4 years at the time I enrolled, so I'm probably not the best person to ask on that front since I just hung out with my existing friends.

I liked the fact that BU offered a very open curriculum which I definitely took advantage of. There's also a lot of choice in what you can take. The dean, Robert Meenan also holds town halls where he listens to student's complaints and tries to incorporate changes into the BUSPH culture. So I do think the administration cares about the student experience and tries to accommodate as much as they can.

The experience at BU was positive enough for me that I got drawn into the field and that I'm now a researcher and have continued my education on for years after getting the MPH. So take that for what it's worth :)

I'll be moving from CA to come attend BU! And i was just wondering more about the practicum opportunities thru BU's program! Are they helpful in setting those up with you, and also the only thing im concerned about is that I would want to work in CA once I graduate, however, I know my networks will be on the east coast thru BU. What's your opinion on all that?

Thanks for your help! :)

I'll be moving from CA to come attend BU! And i was just wondering more about the practicum opportunities thru BU's program! Are they helpful in setting those up with you, and also the only thing im concerned about is that I would want to work in CA once I graduate, however, I know my networks will be on the east coast thru BU. What's your opinion on all that?

Woo hoo, I will also be moving from CA to attend BU (most likely... haven't locked in my decision)! I'm interested in hearing an answer to this question too!

Woo hoo, I will also be moving from CA to attend BU (most likely... haven't locked in my decision)! I'm interested in hearing an answer to this question too!

anteater1? Im assuming you graduated from irvine? me too! haha I left a message I think on your "wall" or something (not sure how to work the SDN messages) but im still tryna decide too. Right now mainly between USC and BU. What about you?

I ended up working my practicum at a local MA health department. Although I know plenty of friends that did practicums internationally. There are opportunities scattered throughout, though I wouldn't know more details since I didn't look beyond something local to BU.

How hard is it for international students to find govt/state jobs? And I doubt being Canadian would help:S

Hey stories,
I've been accepted to BU, NYU, and Tufts so far, waiting to hear from Yale and Brown. I'm really loving BU and Tufts at the moment. They are such different schools and I'm hoping you can help me out. I love the small classes at Tufts, and I'm nervous about getting lost in huge classes at BU. Do you feel like you connected with professors even though the classes were bigger, like they knew you and would help you out? How is the career center for the SPH students? Do most students seem to find jobs pretty easily after graduating?

Also, I applied as an international health concentrator, but think I might want to switch to epi once I'm at school. Can you tell me a little about what you're doing now with your degree or what you plan on doing in the future? I guess I'm a little nervous about actually finding a job with an int'l health concentration, whereas an epi focus seems to maybe open some doors. Am I on the right track here?
Thanks

Hey stories,
I've been accepted to BU, NYU, and Tufts so far, waiting to hear from Yale and Brown. I'm really loving BU and Tufts at the moment. They are such different schools and I'm hoping you can help me out. I love the small classes at Tufts, and I'm nervous about getting lost in huge classes at BU. Do you feel like you connected with professors even though the classes were bigger, like they knew you and would help you out? How is the career center for the SPH students? Do most students seem to find jobs pretty easily after graduating?

Also, I applied as an international health concentrator, but think I might want to switch to epi once I'm at school. Can you tell me a little about what you're doing now with your degree or what you plan on doing in the future? I guess I'm a little nervous about actually finding a job with an int'l health concentration, whereas an epi focus seems to maybe open some doors. Am I on the right track here?
Thanks

I didn't feel like the classes were too big except for the cores. The cores are all big because everyone has to take them. But beyond the cores, the other classes were small. I worked as a RA with a professor, so I got two years of very good research experience prior to graduating. My friends did fine with finding jobs within 6 months of graduating, too. Although I didn't know any IH folks.

I might not be the best person to answer your questions if only because I knew where I wanted to go after my MPH and I got another degree to continue that career (went on for a PhD). I'm now an epi researcher at NIH, so I pursued the scientific path. But going to BU is what opened these doors to me, and without BU, I never would have made it here.

How did find those RA positions? I heard most don't just hire new Grad students..I was hoping to get a RA/TA part-time:)

How did find those RA positions? I heard most don't just hire new Grad students..I was hoping to get a RA/TA part-time:)

I already knew people in the department before I entered as a student--I was also a BU undergrad which is how I knew about this info.

I'm really considering boston and michigan's HMP programs. I'm concerned with the career development that BU might lack instead of michigan. how has anyone's experience been who already visited about their alumni network and finding jobs/internships?

and does school ranking/program ranking really matter in the long run?

I'm really considering boston and michigan's HMP programs. I'm concerned with the career development that BU might lack instead of michigan. how has anyone's experience been who already visited about their alumni network and finding jobs/internships?

and does school ranking/program ranking really matter in the long run?

Both schools will give you the tools you need to succeed, it's how you utilize those skills that will differ. Also keep in mind the location of the schools, one will have you firmly entrenched in the midwest, the other in New England. Consider where you'd like to live in the future as an indicator of where the alumni networks would be strongest.

I've had no problems making connections through the BU network throughout the east coast. Then again, I've never tried out west, so I can't comment on that.

Ranking: doubtful, unless you go into tenure-track academia (eg. professor).

Hi all.

I've been accepted to BU for HPM and will probably be attending. Does anyone know, if I dedicate my elective courses to say, a certain subset of Epi, can I then have a dual concentration?

You can definitely do a dual concentration; however, you will probably have to finish in at least 4 semesters as you would have to take all of epi's requirements also (I think).

Hi all.

I've been accepted to BU for HPM and will probably be attending. Does anyone know, if I dedicate my elective courses to say, a certain subset of Epi, can I then have a dual concentration?

You can definitely do a dual concentration; however, you will probably have to finish in at least 4 semesters as you would have to take all of epi's requirements also (I think).

You can still finish in 3 semesters, but you'll have to do a lot of coursework early on (ie. SAS concurrently with epi 2 and other core epi classes, for instance).

Anyone else still waiting? I submitted in January

yes, i also submitted in january, but had a little problem w/ the gre/sophas submission and my app was not complete at BU until February 24. when they emailed me they said it can take up to 4 weeks for render a decision... it's been 3 weeks tomorrow. i am trying to be patient and not call them.

yes, i also submitted in january, but had a little problem w/ the gre/sophas submission and my app was not complete at BU until February 24. when they emailed me they said it can take up to 4 weeks for render a decision... it's been 3 weeks tomorrow. i am trying to be patient and not call them.

That stinks! :( It took them exactly 4 weeks to get back to me, so it might be another week. Good luck!

Hi Stories, thank you for all your answers thus far! They have been very helpful.

I have my own quick question - do you know when BU typically sends their full financial aid package out? I've been looking around, but I can't seem to find any information (all of my other schools either already told me what I'd be receiving or the next steps I need to take in order to find out...but since I'm not attending those other schools I won't be doing that). I'd just like to have a sense of what BU will offer since then I can work on applying to external scholarships, etc. Do you know if it will be sometime in April or later? Thanks! :)

Hi Stories, thank you for all your answers thus far! They have been very helpful.

I have my own quick question - do you know when BU typically sends their full financial aid package out? I've been looking around, but I can't seem to find any information (all of my other schools either already told me what I'd be receiving or the next steps I need to take in order to find out...but since I'm not attending those other schools I won't be doing that). I'd just like to have a sense of what BU will offer since then I can work on applying to external scholarships, etc. Do you know if it will be sometime in April or later? Thanks! :)

I honestly don't remember from when I applied (I applied more than 6 years ago now), but I remembered physically going to the financial office and getting my stuff taken care of that way. It was easier than waiting for me. But I did live in Boston when I applied, so that was pretty straight forward for me.

I honestly don't remember from when I applied (I applied more than 6 years ago now), but I remembered physically going to the financial office and getting my stuff taken care of that way. It was easier than waiting for me. But I did live in Boston when I applied, so that was pretty straight forward for me.

Okay, great, thanks! I also live in Boston, so that would work well for me. I will call around next week to find out more information. I would rather be in the loop as early as possible so I can make sure everything gets in on-time :D

Going to BU for Social and Behavioral Sciences! Still trying to figure out how to organize housing!

Going to BU for Social and Behavioral Sciences! Still trying to figure out how to organize housing!

Congratulations! :highfive:You looking to live on-or-off campus? If you are looking for cheap housing, Allston-Brighton are neighborhoods you should check out first. I live in Brighton and it's a very nice, quiet area. Welcome to Boston! :D

Hello Future Terriers - Yesterday I declined my offer for admission to BU.

With that being said, I would suggest everyone who has not received a Merit Award Scholarship to contact the school regarding. I know myself and several others recently declined the award, leaving more scholarship money for all of you! Now it's just up to you to ask! Cheers.

It's been nearly 8 weeks for me...

:eek: :( :confused: Definitely call or email them to check on your status - it should only be 4-6 weeks...8 weeks seems wayyy overdue. What department did you apply to?

Best of luck to you! :xf:

It's been nearly 8 weeks for me...

will be 4 weeks on friday for me, but got an email from them today asking me to submit my 2011 tax return for financial aid considerations. strange, as i've not yet been admitted! is this a good sign, or just protocol?

will be 4 weeks on friday for me, but got an email from them today asking me to submit my 2011 tax return for financial aid considerations. strange, as i've not yet been admitted! is this a good sign, or just protocol?

That is odd - I haven't heard that happen to anyone else. I was admitted 3 weeks ago, and I have yet to hear any financial aid requests, but I have started on the process anyway. Perhaps you are an accept but they want to see if they can offer you a merit award? But, merit-awards are based on merit, not need, so that doesn't make sense either...

I'm leaning towards that it's a good sign, but email them asking about the status of your application anyway. Doesn't make sense for you to mail all that stuff out without knowing a decision first! :laugh:

I'm on week 5 of waiting right now, and I've called to check on my application. They said I should hear back this week. I'm so nervous, but hopefully I'll hear back with good news. I'm accepted at UMDNJ and Umass, but BU is my first choice right now.

That is odd - I haven't heard that happen to anyone else. I was admitted 3 weeks ago, and I have yet to hear any financial aid requests, but I have started on the process anyway. Perhaps you are an accept but they want to see if they can offer you a merit award? But, merit-awards are based on merit, not need, so that doesn't make sense either...

I'm leaning towards that it's a good sign, but email them asking about the status of your application anyway. Doesn't make sense for you to mail all that stuff out without knowing a decision first! :laugh:

I know it's so strange. I'm trying not to call until after the 4 weeks that they quoted me. I will just send in the papers they asked since I have it readily available as I had to submit the same info to other programs. I am anxious because I've heard from all the other programs I've applied and it will be probably BU vs JHSPH if I am admitted to BU... but would be great to know if I'm not in at BU and can just start planning for Balitmore :eek:

I just received their financial aid email regarding instructions on the process - hopefully I can have it all settled by next week! :)

Good luck, Jamie!

I don't want to jinx anything, swcy, but if you got into JHSPH then you'll probably get into BU! :D If you don't, I'd have a total WTF moment! lol :)

I just received their financial aid email regarding instructions on the process - hopefully I can have it all settled by next week! :)

Good luck, Jamie!

I don't want to jinx anything, swcy, but if you got into JHSPH then you'll probably get into BU! :D If you don't, I'd have a total WTF moment! lol :)

Thanks! Good luck with the aid process!

Hi All,

I've received admission from both BU (International Health) and NYU (International and Community Health). I'm having a real hard time deciding between the two! Any thoughts or advice? I know NYC has a lot of opportunities but at the same time I have heard some great things about BU. Thanks!! :)

anteater1? Im assuming you graduated from irvine? me too! haha I left a message I think on your "wall" or something (not sure how to work the SDN messages) but im still tryna decide too. Right now mainly between USC and BU. What about you?

Zot Zot!

I'll be choosing BU as well (MCH epi). Big transition from California. My friend actually goes to USC and has mixed feelings about it but says the program is getting better.

Anyone planning on going to the Accepted Students Day on the 27th?