BS/MD program help...

she really didn't give any reason...

she just said that; and you know, im tryin hard man...just need to know what i need to work on right now!!

Members don't see this ad.

i've done as much as my school has given...only thing bringing me down is 2 test scores..

seriously, what must i do?

Members don't see this ad :)
well, you're going to retake the tests, so start with that...

Go ahead and apply to a few combined programs alongside your traditional college apps. The worst that could happen is that you don't get in... it's not going to hurt you to apply.

Also, it sounds like you don't have a whole ton of confidence in your college counselor. Sometimes, counselors are overloaded and aren't able to give the individual attention they need to students. As long as you get all the rec letters you need sent and you're getting the other documentation you need out of her office, take the advice with a grain of salt and apply where you want to go. Just make sure to give yourself some back-ups.

what would you consider to be the "average case scenario" if i do send in all my apps to the schools i put on my list?

Last edited:
what would you consider to be the "average case scenario" if i do send in all my apps to the schools i put on my list?

Some of it depends on your test retakes, but I'd guess you'd get interviewed at a couple of places as long as your essays and LORs are reasonably convincing.

It's hard to project for these things, you're just going to have to apply, do everything possible to make your application as strong as possible and be patient. We can give advice, but we're not fortune tellers.

would you think just taking a SAT would do it to put on as a test..

hey depakote...are you in a 6 yr program now?

hey depakote...are you in a 6 yr program now?

no.

I wasn't happy with the program and I left 2.5 years in. I completed my BA did some other things to strengthen my app and I'm about to start my 2nd year in a traditonal 4 year program. I'm much happier in my current program.

what was wrong?

why were you discouraged?

what was wrong?

why were you discouraged?

I wasn't so much discouraged as I found the program to be a terrible fit.

Most 4 year programs are essentially the same, and if you've been accepted into one you've got the foundation to succeed. In the accelerated programs, you're entering as a blank slate.

In the accelerated program I was in, I didn't have a prior college-level foundation to work with and you have to build this while taking somewhere over 20 credit hours a semester (the standard freshman courseload being somewhere around 12-15). Note, this didn't mean I didn't transfer in college credits, they took 29 of my credits and I had plenty that they couldn't take b/c that would have made me a sophomore at the time I started...

When you're trying to cram a BA and MD into 6 years, you generally will compress some things and cut others. Medical School is already compressed and overloaded to such a degree that the program breakdown essentially winds up being a 2+4. My problem with this was that it hurts a student to rush through the basic foundation coursework just to jump on to the next level (i.e., if you compress organic chemistry and the student gets by without mastering it, they're probably going to have trouble with biochemistry). This is similar to medical school, however by then you've had some reasonable courseloads in college and you are capable of adapting.

Anyway... there were plenty of people that did just fine in the program. Many of my friends are now starting their 2nd years of residency while I'm starting my 2nd year of med school, but I know I made the right decision because even when I left, I knew I would still find a way to make myself a doctor. I just knew that wasn't the right place for it. It has just taken a few extra years to make it happen and I'm much wiser for it.

Members don't see this ad :)
so you're definitely enjoying it now?

OK, so you are getting some good advice on this thread.
My advice is slow down a little and enjoy life. You are an excellent student. 2/998 in high school. Wow. You are an excellent student. Your high school is very big, isn't it? It sounds like the guidance counselor is too busy - par for the course in many public high schools (like where I went).

If it makes you feel any better, I only took 1 or 2 AP classes in high school, and later I got in to a supposedly top 5 in the country med school (not BS/MD program, just regular admissions).

It sounds like you are determined to become a doctor. Make sure it is what you want, and not just what someone else, like your family, is pushing you to do. Just make sure. It's a long career, long training, make sure it's what you want. Then go for it if you really do!

There are lots of BS/MD programs. I have heard good things about Northwestern's (it's 7 years I believe...so cuts off 1 year of college, effectively). Their students seemed quite happy.

It seems you are a very good student with good extracurriculars. Which AP classes you choose to take this year isn't going to make or break your medical school application, now or in the future, although I agree w/taking AP biology + another nonscience AP course as well. I agree you don't need AP physics. You will end up retaking a full year of college physics, biology and 2 of chemistry as premed requirements anyway, so having all the AP's done in high school isn't really necessary, though some AP background is helpful.

The one thing I see that you could improve on is the standardized test scores. Consider taking a class like Princeton Review. You might consider taking the ACT b/c in my opinion it's easier to study for (i.e. more fact based) than the SAT, but that's just my opinion.

Another thing to think about is there are many colleges/universities that have guaranteed entry programs into their university medical schools. I think St Louis University has some program like that...guaranteed entry after sophomore year if you keep a certain GPA...the MCAT doesn't matter though you are required to take it.

But trust me, I'm 34 (MD/future cardiologist). You need to enjoy the next couple of years, do some fun stuff! You have worked hard and I know will continue to do so, but you don't want to be one of those people that burns out at 35 because all you did was work work work.

thank you for that advice...

but did you take the SAT also, or just the ACT, b/c the thing is I'm not the greatest test taker, and I think I was too overconfident, b/c usually I score in the 2100-2200s.

I really am excited about this career, and it's based on my own perceptions and my own opinions. I'm not forced, but I think that I really want to do this now; I don't want to wait.

There's no one here in my area that feels so much as to pursue something, and I really am confident I've done this.

I'm 16; I have been involved in the whole medical scene since I was 9, b/c my mom's boss was a doctor...so I occasionally would follow him around, but had to do the dreading medical record work. I was lucky to get such kinks, and to see how a doctor lived his life. Nothing compares to it...

I just am not so sure that I could pull of a seat of 20, when my counselor discourages me, because to tell you the truth, I found an opportunity to finish my undergrad in 2 yrs, and I really think that's the best way to go..I don't think I can just wait more years. I really do think that I am ready.

I do have one question: If you are enrolled in a 4 yr prgm, do you think you could go to med school on an early note, if you get all your work done?

I do have one question: If you are enrolled in a 4 yr prgm, do you think you could go to med school on an early note, if you get all your work done

I do have one question: If you are enrolled in a 4 yr prgm, do you think you could go to med school on an early note, if you get all your work done
you would have to plan on graduating early and fulfill the admissions requirements on an accelerated timeline.

you'd need to complete multiple pre-requisites prior to taking the MCAT, and then complete the 1 year long application process and graduate in order to matriculate into medical school. On top of that, you'd need to have your extracurriculars, top notch grades and everything else the med schools want. It's tough enough to do this in 4 years, I wouldn't expect to successfully do it in 3.

I've been tap-dancing around overtly stating this throughout the thread, but I'll just go ahead and give you some advice:

Patience is a good thing. I know you want to be a doctor, but this isn't something you have to do as soon as possible. The fastest path does not equal best path.

And to answer your above question, I am definitely happy in my current program. It's a great environment and it's very supportive. Plus, I entered with a strong foundation so I've been able to adapt to what's been thrown at me.

thanks for the outlook!

i'm guessing that it'd be good that i could take things slow..im one yr younger than the avg. grad...

what are real advantages and disadvantages of both accelerated and non accelerated prgms?

are there any real advantages of getting into bs/md prgm, or is it just tons of work in a short amt of time...

Just read this thread for the first time...I'll chime in.

Vstexas09, in my opinion, there are definite benefits in being part of a non-accelerated BS/MD program. For example, because you know from day 1 of college that you have a place in med school waiting for you, the pressure's off. You don't have to worry about whether or not you're taking all the perfect classes, getting enough science classes in, beefing up your resume enough, etc etc. Because you have pre-acceptance to med school, you can feel more freedom to pursue other areas in college, like arts, music, humanities, or whatever else happens to interest you. In fact, this is the main reason behind the existance of some of the BS/MD programs....the idea is that you end up with more well-rounded, broadly educated individuals who will make better doctors because of it. But that's not to say that BS/MD program folks are better doctors than people who do it the traditional way!! I'm just trying to point out some reasons why BS/MD programs may be worth considering.

I can't really comment on the accelerated programs, because I'm not entirely sure myself that accelerated tracks are a good thing. I am very glad I had every year of the 8 that I spent in college and med school...I think the pace was just fine, and I wouldn't have wanted to do things any faster. In fact, I don't know if I would have gotten as good an education if things HAD been more condensed and fast-paced. Because I took all 4 years in college, I was able to be in the band, take a couple random classes like drawing and Tai Chi, be very involved in the co-ed service fraternity, and also take several Medical Humanities classes. I wouldn't trade any of those experiences for anything!

I would also echo what Depakote said above...It's great that you're so passionate about becoming a doctor! But, take a step back, take a deep breath, slow down. You'll get there if you want it bad enough. If you are interested in BS/MD programs, now is the time to start researching them, but don't forget that you don't HAVE to be in one in order for things to turn out just fine. There's nothing wrong with going the traditional route and just worrying about picking a college right now, and picking your med school later.

I seriously hate to make my 2nd post here a negative one. But in all honesty, I must say, vstexas, you really need to slow down. Otherwise you're going to burn yourself out and not enjoy any of it.

First of all, combination programs are great. But I wouldn't seriously be heartbroken if you didn't get in. 99% of the time, those 4 years in College before medical school are going to be the best years of your life, and you have a lot less stress being that you know where you want to go/do after you get your BA, etc.

Plus, one such as yourself would be able to build a bigger and better resume to show to medical schools with the resources and opportunities that even in-state college's have.

I applaud your hard work in high school, and am a bit jealous of it myself (my competition lol). But even if you go to your local in-state University. You could better round yourself, kill all that hyperness and stress, and have better chances of getting into Harvard Med or Johns Hopkins.

Just my two cents though.

If you do decide to apply for BA/MD programs, you should take the act. Many schools ask for the act along side the Sat (UKMC, Hpme, Sophie Davis, PSU). Make sure you fulfill all the reqs; you don't want to be messed up by not having the correc t stuff done.

so far the two things bringing me down are my SAT score and my one failing AP (calc AB) score...

do u think those are things to improve...

what methods should I work on this year in order for me to better improve myself?

i take the SAT on oct. 9, and the BC exam in may...

so i've decided to send out my applications to all the schools right after the SAT...

do i have a chance, if i improve my SAT to above 2000...because I heard that most combo prgms look only at CR and math scores...

do i have time to improve??

You can still work on preparing for the test (practice tests and so forth).

And until the decision is made on your application, you can improve it... it is not uncommon in the medical school application process to send update letters and letters of interest letting the school know that you're interested in them and what new things you've been doing in the past year. This let's the school know you're interested and shows them you've been working to make your application stronger.

is it true that you could send gifts?

is it true that you could send gifts?

gifts would probably be inappropriate and it would be unethical for the admissions committee to accept them if the sole reason you sent them was to increase your chances of admission.

A simple "I like your school" (this is why _____ ), "these are the new and and interesting things I'm doing" letter would be a better idea.

so is this along with when you send your applications in, or at random times?

also sending a thank you letter talking about how you appreciate the time they took to interview you

does that serve as some sort of advantage??

I wouldn't say advantage, but it might help get your application looked at or help them consider new aspects of your file. If nothing else, it at least reminds them that you're out there.

As for the post-interview thank you, this is more of a courtesy than anything. I wouldn't read into it helping you (the decision might already be made by the time the interviewer reads it), but it's professional and it would only hurt if you come off as insincere.

are extra-curriculars a big part of the selection process?

are extra-curriculars a big part of the selection process?
Let me just point out that I wish I was you, you blow me out of the water. I don't know anything about BS/MD programs but I can tell you that you will get into some of the best schools with those credentials, you should be proud of yourself.:thumbup:

My updated list of EC's:

Gents (2 years, Lupus walk, step shows, initiation, brotherhood meetings to discuss today's issues)
-Debate (Facilitator, Parliamentarian, 4 yrs, won several trophies for extemporaneous events, debate, bible reading, group improv)
-Academic Decathalon (varied positions, 1 yr)
-National Honor Society (3 yrs, community service, trash bash, *in the process of starting my own project called Hoops for Hope, hosting basketball tournaments with the help of sponsors to donate to AIDS research*
-National Tech Honor Society (2 yrs, VP or Treasurer)
-Volunteer Activities (4+ years, all in the medical field, 400+ hours?)
-Church Youth Fellowship(3 yrs, Habitat for Humanity, Food Drives, Mexico Mission (building houses on coastal islands, aid with education, and medical awareness trips), served as deacon, won several state speech competitions, youth basketball team)
-Math and Science Club (1 yr)
-Newspaper (1 yr)
-Class Representative (Ideas for Prom, Homecoming, listening to ideas of students, and incorporating them into class)
-Set Director (Encounters movie production, became local hit)

what do you guys think?

well...i took the SAT today..and it was so hard...im a little depressed...

do u guys think i have a shot at penn??

well...i took the SAT today..and it was so hard...im a little depressed...

do u guys think i have a shot at penn??

wait until you get your scores back. I generally don't do a good job predicting how I did on tests.

Just enjoy the fact that it's over.

there were so many distractions...is it normal to take it 3 times?

there were so many distractions...is it normal to take it 3 times?

Many people take it 3 times.

Don't sweat it.

Enjoy life, one day you will be working and waking up so early your friends are still awake :laugh:

you have done like everything out there... Maybe too much clubs arent that good, it doesnt show commitment.

but honestly, this is a period of 4 yrs...i spread this across the duration of 4 yrs...

Yes i know its over a period of 4 years.
So what college did you get into? or Which colleges are you looking at right now?

I'm in a BS/MD program right now with Baylor College that's not accelerated, and I'm loving it. Like people have said before me, the pace of a non-accelerated program is fine - not too fast, not too slow. And I get to take the most random classes that I enjoy without really having to worry about MCATs or GPA (I'm planning on taking this great Wine-Tasting course sometime soon). But above all, I have time to have fun with friends - something that would have been hard to do if I were on an accelerated program.

For the interview process for my BS/MD program, they asked me a lot about my experiences in healthcare - research-based or clinical-based. They really drilled me about it to make sure I knew what I was talking about. I was even asked some facts on the history of medicine (Q: What was Edward Jenner famous for doing?). Know your healthcare policies, and especially develop a well-informed opinion about the policies supported by this year's presidential candidates. Interviewers love it when you can have a discussion. That's extremely important during an interview: show that you can think for yourself. Be prepared to share your thoughts on everything (I was also asked my opinion of The Tale of Two Cities, of China's healthcare system, and of the Bodyworld's exhibit).

I know you're keen on going to UPenn, but just for back-up, maybe you should look into the Rice BS/MD program or the Baylor/Baylor BS/MD program that's right there in your state.

You can tell I'm in love with BCM, can't you?

Yes i know its over a period of 4 years.
So what college did you get into? or Which colleges are you looking at right now?

Here's my list: UT Austin, Georgetown, Penn, Johns Hopkins, Temple

BS/MD: Drexel, Howard, Penn St., Temple, Tx A&M

i will be taking the SAT a total of three times:

June-1890 (590 (reading), 630 (math), 670 (writing)

October-score not available, but didn't feel too confident

November-I'm preparing and hoping for the best...

SAT Subject Tests in December...

you guys think i have a shot??

i will be taking the SAT a total of three times:

June-1890 (590 (reading), 630 (math), 670 (writing)

October-score not available, but didn't feel too confident

November-I'm preparing and hoping for the best...

SAT Subject Tests in December...

you guys think i have a shot??

Just going to have to wait and see, it's an ambitious list but you've got some strong stats and the only think weighing you down is your SAT which you've still got 2 scores pending on.

do you guys think i can make it?

i have a big problem...

every time i come home from school, i feel drowsy, so i take a nap...but then i lose 2 hrs and feel horrible about it...

im trying not to procrastinate, but on avg. i sleep at 3 in the morning...is there any solution?

i have a big problem...

every time i come home from school, i feel drowsy, so i take a nap...but then i lose 2 hrs and feel horrible about it...

im trying not to procrastinate, but on avg. i sleep at 3 in the morning...is there any solution?

the solution would be to not stay up until 3am and stay awake when you're drowsy so you regularize your sleep schedule. Try to be in bed by a reasonable hour on school nights.