BS/DO vs. BS/MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jackgates1

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which program sounds better...BS and Marist or Geneseo then DO at NYCOM...or BS at Wilkes University and MD at Syracuse Medical. Does anyone know anything about about any of these schools? (undergrad and medical) Thanks a lot :)

Members don't see this ad.

Well, the biggest question that you have to ask yourself is what kind of doctor do you want to be? a DO or an MD?
If you can answer that question then your decision is made.
I know that after going through 2 years of medical school at NYCOM that I could not imagine being an MD. I just believe that DOs have that much more to offer with their training and their ability to use OMM. People might disagree with me and that is not the purpose of me saying it, it's just my opinion. You really need to decide which is right for you.

Originally posted by jackgates1
Which program sounds better...BS and Marist or Geneseo then DO at NYCOM...or BS at Wilkes University and MD at Syracuse Medical. Does anyone know anything about about any of these schools? (undergrad and medical) Thanks a lot :)

BS/MD is a better choice, because you end up with an MD. It will make life much easier for you. And don't worry about the OMM thing. I doubt any DOs actually use it.

p.s. there is substantial savings at Syracuse vs. NYCOM.

Members don't see this ad :)
And don't worry about the OMM thing. I doubt any DOs actually use it

And I doubt your patients will come back to you after they've been offered the best of both worlds at a D.O.'s office :D

This above post from this genious is the precise reason why you SHOULD go D.O.

Originally posted by md_student10021
BS/MD is a better choice, because you end up with an MD. It will make life much easier for you.
Actually, md_student10021 is uncharacteristically correct. It IS easier to choose the MD path. They have to take fewer classes in med school, and they have less residency training to go through. It is true, going MD is the easier path. They also make a lot more money off of people with musculoskeletal injuries because they just give people narcotics until it gets worse, and then they set the patients up for extensive and extraneous tests before sending them to a surgeon. Those silly DO's just fix it in a noninvasive manner so it can heal before it becomes irreparable. :laugh:

Originally posted by md_student10021
And don't worry about the OMM thing. I doubt any DOs actually use it.

You seem to have a habit of making these baseless accusations and not backing them up with anything. Ever find out which ortho residencies are DO unfriendly, or did you ever drudge up any proof about residencies being harder to get into for DO's?? Ehh, I don't know why I even bother with this. These are just your trollishly vain attempts to put us osteopaths in our place. You better hurry back to your mirror before you melt. :rolleyes:

Me replying to md_student10021's post will only start up the whole argument of DO vs. MD so I won't go there. I will just say that there are many DO's that practice OMM and their patients love them for it. The MD route may be easier, but the DO route is definitely better, the MD's just don't know it b/c you can't miss something if you've never tried it.

If you will save a substantial amount of money by going to Syracuse, go to Syracuse. As I find myself graduating from med school in two months and facing a substantial amount of debt, I am very glad that I did not attend a more expensive med school. When you've finished six-seven years of school and find that you could be repaying your loans well into your late thirties (while having a wife and kids), you will be glad that you went to the cheaper school.
People will give you these arguments about going to the best school where you feel happy and comfortable. This is a load of crap. If you think that you'll be happy because you go to a certain school or live in a certain city, you are kidding yourself. Happiness depends on you, not your surroundings. People like to compare which med students are cool and relaxed and which ones are uptight and anal. This is a farce. Listening to med students discuss social lives and cavalier attitudes towards school is like listening to blind men discussing the colors of a peacock.
The whole MD v DO argument is bull****. Last time I checked, DO's still gave Antibiotics for pneumonia. It's interesting to hear these pre-clinical students now telling people how DO's are superior to MD's. Whatever. Once you get on the wards, you'll realize that there's no difference between how MD's and DO's treat 99% of presenting complaints or interact with patients.

I think ponyboy has some good points. Debt is a serious issue to look at especially if you are married and have children. Along with that I think this is an overexageration on similarities. The DO and MD philosophies are different in general(I said in general). The DO philosophy seeks to treat the underlying causes of illness not just the symptoms. Historically MD's have treated the symptoms, which is why we have a nation of pill poppers. This does not include all MD's, but that has been the philosophy. Medications are useful and should be used when necessary, but I think lifestyle choices cause many illnesses. Proper nutrition and preventative medicine can do alot more than treating the disease 10 years down the road.
The point is which school you go to may not make a difference. I have plenty of friends attending MD school that will come out great physicians, it's silly to think all MD's are terrible, that simply is not true. What you have to remember is the hipocratic oath"to do no harm". If you remember this and treat all your patients with empathy and respect you will be a great physician. It should never be all about money or prestige. If you are in it for that you should go into buisness. There are plenty of Docs who got into medicine for the wrong reason and now hate it, and the patient is the one who suffers. Good luck to you whatever you decide. And to all remember were all in this to help people( at least I hope so), so we should try and work together.

umm, i dont think syracuse has a medical scool. maybe suny upstate?