Brown vs. UMass

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1141903

Super excited to have been accepted to each of these programs! Having some trouble making a choice, though, so I was hoping to get some other people's thoughts.

UMass
Pros -
  • Cost: I qualify for in-state tuition, so my cost of attendance would probably be around $280,000 for all 4 years
  • Good vibes from students: Looking forward to attend Second Look soon, but I've heard good things about the student body (not competitive).
Cons -
  • Location: TBH I've never been to Worcester, but I've also not heard the best things. I want to live somewhere where I feel like there is "stuff to do" other than going to Boston or NYC
  • Match List?: TBH they don't have a bad match list, just not as strong in comparison to Brown. Also most people seem to stay in MA, and though I am from Massachusetts, I don't think I want to settle down here. I see myself wanting to settle down in the NYC, Philadelphia, or DC areas (family and partner reasons), and I want to choose a school where I feel like I am setting myself up for the most success to end up in one of those areas for residency. I do realize that UMass students may also be choosing to stay in MA for residency because it is their home.
Brown
Pros -
  • Good vibes from students: I've also really liked everyone I've met from Brown. Hoping to meet more at second look.
  • Match List?: Of the two schools, Brown has the stronger list from what I can tell, and as I mentioned before, I want to be able to match in my chosen location, which may be outside New England. There seems to be more geographic variability with where people end up (but this may be because it is a private school, and students don't have family connections to the area).
  • Location: TBH not my dream city, but it seems better than Worcester. Both Worcester and Providence are about equidistant from my home.
Cons -
  • Cost: Haven't gotten financial aid package yet, but I'm expecting it to be the sticker price, so probably ~$400,000 over 4 years.
  • PLMEs: A good chunk of Brown Med students are from their BS/MD (PLME) program. I'm a few years out of undergrad, so I would be a few years older than many people in the class. Also not sure how cliquey things may be because of this. All the students I've met so far were AMCAS applicants, so I haven't met a PLME student.
Other Factors:
I'm not sure what I want to specialize in, but I want to keep my options open for something competitive - would Brown give me an edge in that area?

I guess, I think it would be a no-brainer for me to choose UMass if I didn't have concerns about residency placement in my location/specialty of choice. I'm curious to see what others think about this. Will Brown give me an edge in residency placement worth the ~$120,000 price difference, or is it not worth it?

Members don't see this ad.

I don’t necessarily think there is that much a difference between them and I imagine both would allow you to match to where you want on the east coast. So for the price difference I would probably go with UMass

Reactions: 1 users