BRO...what the hell

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SubstanceK

Student Pharmacist
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
My how the tides have changed. Last year I was a wide eyed attractive confident personable, adorable APPE student kicking but and working hard to get a residency. Why does everyone give advice on getting residency but no one actually talks about how difficult residency really is. I'm currently at an extremely prestigious institution, around really smart people, and struggling to have any kind of voice. As soon as I walk into the hospital I become a shell of myself. Riddled with insecurity, afraid of answering a question wrong, but also being aware that eyes are always on me. They've yet to see me for who I really am (I haven't really felt comfortable too). I'm about to finish my second rotation and to be honest...I've been struggling. I was prepared for the clinical rigor associated with residency...but I wasn't prepared to feel so insecure. I feel like my co-residents are breezing through and I'm having issues remembering my name. And I had a few hiccups in the beginning of residency that just shot my confidence. What can I do to just, not be so in my head. I actually have a good team of people around me who I feel want the best for me but I'm having a hard time connecting. So....bro I need advice from real people. Not like I always had my ish together and I was perfect from day one people but people like I sucked at first then kicked but later and this is how I did it. ADVICE NEEDED/WANTED/HELP A SIS OUT

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Stop caring what other people think of you and focus on improving.

My how the tides have changed. Last year I was a wide eyed attractive confident personable, adorable APPE student kicking but and working hard to get a residency. Why does everyone give advice on getting residency but no one actually talks about how difficult residency really is. I'm currently at an extremely prestigious institution, around really smart people, and struggling to have any kind of voice. As soon as I walk into the hospital I become a shell of myself. Riddled with insecurity, afraid of answering a question wrong, but also being aware that eyes are always on me. They've yet to see me for who I really am (I haven't really felt comfortable too). I'm about to finish my second rotation and to be honest...I've been struggling. I was prepared for the clinical rigor associated with residency...but I wasn't prepared to feel so insecure. I feel like my co-residents are breezing through and I'm having issues remembering my name. And I had a few hiccups in the beginning of residency that just shot my confidence. What can I do to just, not be so in my head. I actually have a good team of people around me who I feel want the best for me but I'm having a hard time connecting. So....bro I need advice from real people. Not like I always had my ish together and I was perfect from day one people but people like I sucked at first then kicked but later and this is how I did it. ADVICE NEEDED/WANTED/HELP A SIS OUT
And this is why people who have done residencies feel like they’re “better” than people who haven’t. It’s a rite of passage, my friend. You’ll see the light at the end of the tunnel soon enough.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I feel like people are constantly talking about how hard residency is.....why else would it be such a big deal to get one?
I would have to echo what someone else said, don't care as much about what others think of you. try not to compare yourself to your co-residents. TRUST me, they are all also struggling, some people are just better at hiding it. Try to focus on why you wanted to do a residency in the first place, what your end goal is.
honestly you're still early in the year, you are SUPPOSED to still be learning. that's the point.

You need to not worry about what other think or say. do your job. patient care comes first before anything else. you need to keep up with the knowledge and prove your worth.

This is the residency year nadir. It will improve. This also happens with jobs - honeymoon/I'm still new--> holy hell, what did I do --> Got it. Your co-residents are probably suffering too but look like they are not, which makes you feel worse for suffering. This is good prep for motherhood, BTW, sorry to say. What are you afraid of? Figure that out and then work on that. My guess is not that you are afraid of getting the particular answer wrong, but more that you are afraid you should not be here (in residency, a licensed pharmacist who can now kill people). Work on your imposter syndrome and the rest will follow.

Reactions: 3 users

Let go of the hiccups - they were probably a learning experience. Build up your confidence again by giving 110% to your presentations and projects. Talk to your RPD or mentor, they are supposed to guide you. Ask for a few days off if you need to. Don’t give up until you are back on track. Remember that residency is very tough but it won’t last forever.

Not like I always had my ish together and I was perfect from day one people but people like I sucked at first then kicked but later and this is
what even is this sentence?

Thank you for sharing! I think a lot of residents go through this and you will make it. Just keep learning and give it the same enthusiasm that you had during the first week