British citizens get aid for studying in US med schools???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lilmissangel

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
In the US there are excellent loans available for US citizens who want to study in the US. Does anyone know if the UK has similar loans for British Citizens to study abroad (ie in the US)???
I'm a british citizen and am getting a headache looking at the high interest rates available here for non-US citizens/perm residents. What does my british citizenship get me??
I know this is a shot in the dark, but hopefully someone will know or be able to guide me in the right direction.

Members don't see this ad.

lilmissangel said:
In the US there are excellent loans available for US citizens who want to study in the US. Does anyone know if the UK has similar loans for British Citizens to study abroad (ie in the US)???
I'm a british citizen and am getting a headache looking at the high interest rates available here for non-US citizens/perm residents. What does my british citizenship get me??
I know this is a shot in the dark, but hopefully someone will know or be able to guide me in the right direction.
There are no mainstream loans for British citizens (like you and I). A few internationals have obtained private, high interest loans with a U.S. co-signer but they all completed their undergraduate degree in the U.S.; foreign undergraduate degrees are the biggest impediment for entering a U.S. medical school. I suspect the reluctance of the UK to fund premedical students wanting to go to the U.S. stems from the fact that the U.K. has an acute physician shortage and have excellent medical schools that cost a token amount of money for medical students to study in once admitted. In addition, the two systems are so massively different that it would not benefit a British citizen to train in the U.S. if they expect to practice in the U.K.

Scottish Chap said:
There are no mainstream loans for British citizens (like you and I). A few internationals have obtained private, high interest loans with a U.S. co-signer but they all completed their undergraduate degree in the U.S.; foreign undergraduate degrees are the biggest impediment for entering a U.S. medical school. I suspect the reluctance of the UK to fund premedical students wanting to go to the U.S. stems from the fact that the U.K. has an acute physician shortage and have excellent medical schools that cost a token amount of money for medical students to study in once admitted. In addition, the two systems are so massively different that it would not benefit a British citizen to train in the U.S. if they expect to practice in the U.K.
Hmmm, thank for all the info. I did actually get my undergrad degree here in the US and already got into med school here so I'm OK on that account, I just need money to finance it and I cant get my hand on those yummy stafford loans with the nice low interest rates. The private loans (I signed for one with a co-signer) have yucky interest rates. I wanna cry just thinking about it. Hey at least I got approved, I got lucky!
Anyways, I wanted to ask, how exactly are the two systems different. I mean, I know the healthcare system is organized differently, but surely medicine is medicine. I mean, if I'm an ER physician trained in the US, wont I go through the same procedure in treating a patient whether in a US hospital or a British one? I'm probably just being naivee, but I dont remember the system in England much so I'm just curious and any info u have would interest me.

Members don't see this ad :)
you said:
"In the US there are excellent loans available for US citizens who want to study in the US"

do you understand what you just wrote: "US citizens" and "study in the US" are the key constructs.

you are british and want to be financed by the britons to study in the US.

do you see any difference ?
may that explains why you do not find loans.

avenirv said:
you said:
"In the US there are excellent loans available for US citizens who want to study in the US"

do you understand what you just wrote: "US citizens" and "study in the US" are the key constructs.

you are british and want to be financed by the britons to study in the US.

do you see any difference ?
may that explains why you do not find loans.
Oh, my bad. I meant they also have excellent loans for US citizens wanting to study abroad.

lilmissangel said:
Hmmm, thank for all the info. I did actually get my undergrad degree here in the US and already got into med school here so I'm OK on that account, I just need money to finance it and I cant get my hand on those yummy stafford loans with the nice low interest rates. The private loans (I signed for one with a co-signer) have yucky interest rates. I wanna cry just thinking about it. Hey at least I got approved, I got lucky!
Anyways, I wanted to ask, how exactly are the two systems different. I mean, I know the healthcare system is organized differently, but surely medicine is medicine. I mean, if I'm an ER physician trained in the US, wont I go through the same procedure in treating a patient whether in a US hospital or a British one? I'm probably just being naivee, but I dont remember the system in England much so I'm just curious and any info u have would interest me.
Honestly, you'll pay back the loan if you work in the U.S. I urge you to take the place and run with it. I know too many people who have gone to the Caribbean or to Europe in despair after multiple rejections from U.S. medical schools. Those students will tell you something about expense and lack of financial support.

I'm assuming you have British citizenship only and you are on an F-1 visa, explaining why the Stafford loans are not available to you (not sure I would call them low interest; the interest increased substantially this year). If that's the case and you have gained entry into a U.S. medical school as an international, you ought to be congratulated. I can say with confidence that the U.K. will definitely not fund you to study medicine in the U.S. Also, you will not be eligible for the "home fees" in the U.K. (even with your British citizenship) if you tried to study at a British medical school unless you live there for at least three years prior to applying for entry into medical school. I know a couple of British citizens who opted to study medicine in Canada since it is cheaper than U.S. private medical schools but that will involve another, very different application and you're not likely to obtain the bonafide deferred entry status at your current U.S. medical school if you decide to apply to Canada.

About the difference between the two systems: socialized health care and different units for laboratory values aside, patient management is totally different and the medicolegal issues you face in the U.S. very much affect how you can practice clinical medicine. As such, while physiology is physiology, there really are fundamental differences in how you manage patients. In addition, the whole hospital heirarchy is different in the U.S.....as is the postgraduate training and route to specialization. It's best to study in a medical school in the country where you intend to practice.