Brigham/MGH/Hopkins/Penn/Columbia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hopkins really is a special beast. Even the MGH and BWH residents were in awe of the Hopkins residency trained fellows at their respective hospitals.

Can't say I've ever heard that one before. Interesting. Coming from Harvard, I've pretty much realized that everyone says that whatever hospital they trained at had superior training. Amazing that the Hopkins folks think they are the best trained, MGH says the same thing, Brigham says the same...hmm...

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sure everyone bows down before those who have trained at Hopkins. Harvard bows to Hopkins. We grovel at the feet of the Osler Marines. Really...these posts are starting to get ridiculous.

To clarify my previous comment, on my interview day several BWH residents stated that they could tell which fellows trained at Hopkins by their impressive medical knowledge. I asked the MGH residents about this as well...they told me that their program was more similar to Hopkins in autonomy -- and again -- had nothing but tremendous respect for Hopkins trained residents. I thought it was interesting that MGH residents compared their program to Hopkins. :)

These were only my experiences/perceptions on my interview days...they DON'T represent the opinions of all MGH/BWH residents...and they shouldn't imply superiority of one program over the other. They do exemplify the strong reputation of Hopkins, though.

Members don't see this ad :)
My 2 cents.. MGH and Hopkins are the top top league..
I dont mean to disrespect.. BWH is great, yes, but its not MGH or Hopkins. :)

Honestly, as pertains to clinical education (not research) what is it about any random program that makes it better than another? The faculty that are teaching there?? The type of cases they get?? The call schedule?? Can anyone really judge these differences?

One thing to remember - The same medical knowledge available at Hopkins is available at MGH and hospital X in Wyoming. The difference for me is the quality of individual residents and their ability to learn, retain and use that medical knowledge for the benefit of their patients and not just to show off that they know something random and obscure. Also, how about the quality of personal interaction between pt and doctor - very important rating but can you argue that this depends on the institution rather than the individual?

One thing you can maybe argue is that the experience of those around you, teaching you, can make you a better doctor. Valid argument but no one here can really quantify the experience of doctors at one institution compared to another because experience is also individual and Dr T at program X in Wyoming may have had just as useful experience in fulminant hepatitis as Dr Y at BWH or Penn. Also, experience is often disseminated in clinical guidelines and research followed by most physicians making it even less institution dependent.

My point is, you can be and should try to be the best, most personable physician you can, regardless of where you train and remember that this isn't about who has the most knowledge on topic X but who can connect with their patients and use that knowledge to help them.

....I sound like a freaking hippy ;)

Oh yeah, where is Wyoming and does it have a medicine program? :confused:

Hopkins is great. Its only diadvantage from what i've heard so far is the city of Baltimore. For some people, they ranked MGH higher than Hopkins because Hopkins is located in Baltimore and they also complain of the neighborhoods over there. As for MGH, they have super neighborhoods and Boston is also a great place to live in. For others, MGH was thier top because they just wanted to have that Harvard ivy-league logo in thier resume. What i'm saying is that it all depends on the person in question. Both programs are superb.

As a current BWH resident, every year around this time I log onto studentdoctor.net to read the BWH vs MGH vs Hopkins vs UCSF vs Penn vs whatever-else-is-in-vogue debate. It's incredibly entertaining, and becomes moreso as I (ungracefully) age. I'm certainly not pointing fingers, as I was as into the minutiae of "the great debate" as everyone else when I was interviewing for residency just a few years ago.

The truth is: at the end of your training, there is no difference among any of the "top" programs. It really is like splitting hairs. The "hotness" of a program's reputation is dependent on multiple factors that can change readily with time. We forget that medicine in the US was practiced for hundreds of years before our cohort decided to become physicians. If you look at the Harvard hospitals (BWH, MGH, and BID), there was a period not long ago when BID was the place to be and BWH wasn't on anyone's radar.

I argue that five things comprise a great internal medicine residency program:
(1) the ability of the training program to produce sound clinicians
(2) the ability of the program to produce leaders in medicine
(3) the ability of the program to ensure that its graduates seek the jobs/fellowships they are vying for
(4) the calibre of the residents
(5) the satisfaction of the residents with their program

While MGH and Hopkins are arguably the most well-established of the big programs, BWH and Penn emerged onto the scene largely because item #5 in the above list (resident satisfaction) prompted a boost in item #4 (resident calibre) to these programs. It's like Derm and Rad-Onc; ever since word leaked that those were relatively high quality-of-life careers, they've become two of the most competitive medical subspecialties. Hence, for example, BWH now has probably the highest percentage of MD-PhD's among any medicine residency program in the country - and while that doesn't necessarily wow everyone in the audience, it does suggest that a good percentage of BWH graduates will probably end up in academic medicine - a number that, like it or not, many residency programs use as a barometer for their success rate (item #2 above).

A few other points:
-among the top places, the average resident from one program is not going to be any more or less strong than the average resident from another. Making you take overnight call alone the moment you begin internship is not going to magically turn you into a better doctor. What it will do is get you to your endpoint faster - which is why, for example, Hopkins won't accept 2nd year transfers into their program from most other places. It's not about one place being better than another; it's about a program being front-loaded vs back-loaded or spread-even, and you have to decide which you think is better for you.
-medicine is not all about being a cowboy. Certainly we all take great pride in being able to manage a sick person alone - and the earlier in our stage of training that we can do this, the more pride we feel. Hence, there is a certain amount of ego-boost that comes with training at a place like MGH or Hopkins, where you're forced to act autonomously early on. But as mentioned in one of the earlier posts, regardless of where you train, you will ultimately get a lot of autonomy; it may come later on in your training, but it will come, nonetheless. That should be self-evident. What's not so apparent, but is equally - if not even more - important, is this: a great doctor also knows when to ask for someone else's opinion. The most effective learning comes directly from those who have more experience that we do; hence, if our learning environment is conducive to seeking such guidance and wisdom, then we stand only to gain. So it's essential to seek the right balance between autonomy and mentorship. No competitive medicine residency program would be dull enough to favor one over the other.
-remember that your cointerns and residents are the peeps you'll be working/learning/suffering with together, day-in, day-out, for the next few years, so it's important to be content with the people you work with. If you visit a program and love the residents, that should factor in heavily to your decision. Conversely, if you like a program's reputation but don't jive with the residents you meet or get a funny feeling from them, consider it a red flag.
-a few specific responses pertaining to BWH as mentioned in some of your posts:
1: I don't know where someone got the idea that we pay homage to a fellow when s/he's from Hopkins, but that simply isn't true. The worst fellow we all knew last year was from Hopkins, which was made all the worse by the fact that he'd wear his "Equanimitas" tie every Friday yet didn't know what the word meant. I have to emphasize again: there is no difference in level of clinical knowledge among fellows here who come from any of the various residency programs. (Granted, some of this is selection bias, since our fellowship programs have a specific type of person they're selecting for their programs.)
2: we aren't necessarily switching to overnight call, but there are a number of residents who would like to see such a switch, and hence we are trying to implement a trial run.
3: despite our touchy-feely reputation, we're actually a pretty intense bunch when it comes to work, and internship here, while less toxic than at MGH or Hopkins, is by and large much more difficult than the interns bargain for. Sure, the idea of not admitting patients after 9 or 10pm looks great on paper, but in practice, at this time of the year, a lot of interns end up working 6am-1am on their call days, and 6am-7pm or so on their post-call days. It is a misconception to think that our interns routinely get to go home to sleep - or, at the beginning of the year, to sleep at all. The reason a lot of people want to switch to overnight call is because they think it's easier to work a 24-30hr continuous shift than the system we have.
4: if you're using the BWH call schedule system as a factor in deciding where to put us on your rank list, you're making a big mistake. Every year, multiple times a year, we do trial runs of different plans in an elusive search for the "perfect" one. We just had a residency-wide ballot vote among three different plans, each methodically put together by a different horde of interns/residents. What will stay constant in the BWH system is a more even distribution of work among the three years than at MGH or Hopkins. It is unlikely that the BWH will become a front-loaded program, at least not anytime soon, so if you are looking for a front-loaded program, you should look elsewhere.

When I applied to residency, BWH was the rage. I found the MGH residents to be a rather subdued, almost gun-shy crowd, albeit quite animated when talking about why they were better than the Brigham. By contrast, the Brigham residents were not only smart, but also incredibly interesting, vivacious, poised, and confident without being disparaging of anyone else or any other program. It sounds superficial, but that appealed to me greatly. They looked and acted like the kind of physician I wanted to be. Like the rest of you, I had program directors from multiple places I applied to calling/emailing/writing me and saying I was ranked to match there. And I admittedly had a tough time deciding between BWH and MGH. But I'm glad that I ultimately ranked the Brigham first, simply because it was right for me.

Good luck to all of you!

Reactions: 1 user
My 2 cents.. MGH and Hopkins are the top top league..
I dont mean to disrespect.. BWH is great, yes, but its not MGH or Hopkins. :)

I don't know where you got that from, but that's NOT true at all.
In internal medicine, the reputation of BWH = MGH = Hopkins.

As a current BWH resident, every year around this time I log onto studentdoctor.net to read the BWH vs MGH vs Hopkins vs UCSF vs Penn vs whatever-else-is-in-vogue debate. It's incredibly entertaining, and becomes moreso as I (ungracefully) age. I'm certainly not pointing fingers, as I was as into the minutiae of "the great debate" as everyone else when I was interviewing for residency just a few years ago.

The truth is: at the end of your training, there is no difference among any of the "top" programs. It really is like splitting hairs. The "hotness" of a program's reputation is dependent on multiple factors that can change readily with time. We forget that medicine in the US was practiced for hundreds of years before our cohort decided to become physicians. If you look at the Harvard hospitals (BWH, MGH, and BID), there was a period not long ago when BID was the place to be and BWH wasn't on anyone's radar.

I argue that five things comprise a great internal medicine residency program:
(1) the ability of the training program to produce sound clinicians
(2) the ability of the program to produce leaders in medicine
(3) the ability of the program to ensure that its graduates seek the jobs/fellowships they are vying for
(4) the calibre of the residents
(5) the satisfaction of the residents with their program

While MGH and Hopkins are arguably the most well-established of the big programs, BWH and Penn emerged onto the scene largely because item #5 in the above list (resident satisfaction) prompted a boost in item #4 (resident calibre) to these programs. It's like Derm and Rad-Onc; ever since word leaked that those were relatively high quality-of-life careers, they've become two of the most competitive medical subspecialties. Hence, for example, BWH now has probably the highest percentage of MD-PhD's among any medicine residency program in the country - and while that doesn't necessarily wow everyone in the audience, it does suggest that a good percentage of BWH graduates will probably end up in academic medicine - a number that, like it or not, many residency programs use as a barometer for their success rate (item #2 above).

A few other points:
-among the top places, the average resident from one program is not going to be any more or less strong than the average resident from another. Making you take overnight call alone the moment you begin internship is not going to magically turn you into a better doctor. What it will do is get you to your endpoint faster - which is why, for example, Hopkins won't accept 2nd year transfers into their program from most other places. It's not about one place being better than another; it's about a program being front-loaded vs back-loaded or spread-even, and you have to decide which you think is better for you.
-medicine is not all about being a cowboy. Certainly we all take great pride in being able to manage a sick person alone - and the earlier in our stage of training that we can do this, the more pride we feel. Hence, there is a certain amount of ego-boost that comes with training at a place like MGH or Hopkins, where you're forced to act autonomously early on. But as mentioned in one of the earlier posts, regardless of where you train, you will ultimately get a lot of autonomy; it may come later on in your training, but it will come, nonetheless. That should be self-evident. What's not so apparent, but is equally - if not even more - important, is this: a great doctor also knows when to ask for someone else's opinion. The most effective learning comes directly from those who have more experience that we do; hence, if our learning environment is conducive to seeking such guidance and wisdom, then we stand only to gain. So it's essential to seek the right balance between autonomy and mentorship. No competitive medicine residency program would be dull enough to favor one over the other.
-remember that your cointerns and residents are the peeps you'll be working/learning/suffering with together, day-in, day-out, for the next few years, so it's important to be content with the people you work with. If you visit a program and love the residents, that should factor in heavily to your decision. Conversely, if you like a program's reputation but don't jive with the residents you meet or get a funny feeling from them, consider it a red flag.
-a few specific responses pertaining to BWH as mentioned in some of your posts:
1: I don't know where someone got the idea that we pay homage to a fellow when s/he's from Hopkins, but that simply isn't true. The worst fellow we all knew last year was from Hopkins, which was made all the worse by the fact that he'd wear his "Equanimitas" tie every Friday yet didn't know what the word meant. I have to emphasize again: there is no difference in level of clinical knowledge among fellows here who come from any of the various residency programs. (Granted, some of this is selection bias, since our fellowship programs have a specific type of person they're selecting for their programs.)
2: we aren't necessarily switching to overnight call, but there are a number of residents who would like to see such a switch, and hence we are trying to implement a trial run.
3: despite our touchy-feely reputation, we're actually a pretty intense bunch when it comes to work, and internship here, while less toxic than at MGH or Hopkins, is by and large much more difficult than the interns bargain for. Sure, the idea of not admitting patients after 9 or 10pm looks great on paper, but in practice, at this time of the year, a lot of interns end up working 6am-1am on their call days, and 6am-7pm or so on their post-call days. It is a misconception to think that our interns routinely get to go home to sleep - or, at the beginning of the year, to sleep at all. The reason a lot of people want to switch to overnight call is because they think it's easier to work a 24-30hr continuous shift than the system we have.
4: if you're using the BWH call schedule system as a factor in deciding where to put us on your rank list, you're making a big mistake. Every year, multiple times a year, we do trial runs of different plans in an elusive search for the "perfect" one. We just had a residency-wide ballot vote among three different plans, each methodically put together by a different horde of interns/residents. What will stay constant in the BWH system is a more even distribution of work among the three years than at MGH or Hopkins. It is unlikely that the BWH will become a front-loaded program, at least not anytime soon, so if you are looking for a front-loaded program, you should look elsewhere.

When I applied to residency, BWH was the rage. I found the MGH residents to be a rather subdued, almost gun-shy crowd, albeit quite animated when talking about why they were better than the Brigham. By contrast, the Brigham residents were not only smart, but also incredibly interesting, vivacious, poised, and confident without being disparaging of anyone else or any other program. It sounds superficial, but that appealed to me greatly. They looked and acted like the kind of physician I wanted to be. Like the rest of you, I had program directors from multiple places I applied to calling/emailing/writing me and saying I was ranked to match there. And I admittedly had a tough time deciding between BWH and MGH. But I'm glad that I ultimately ranked the Brigham first, simply because it was right for me.

Good luck to all of you!

Great post Bluegrass!

I think one thing that noone has mentioned is how important it is to look at whether a program is resident or fellow driven. When I was interviewing for both residency and cards fellowship I got the impression that Hopkins and MGH were resident driven and BWH was more fellow driven. I wanted a program that was resident driven, because I learned more by doing than watching others. After interviewing for cards fellowship, this confirmed my impression of the above programs.

Just my 2 cents....

I got the impression that Hopkins and MGH were resident driven and BWH was more fellow driven.

Just my 2 cents....

I have personal experience at both places and feel the same. Anyone else have a thought?

I think one thing that noone has mentioned is how important it is to look at whether a program is resident or fellow driven. When I was interviewing for both residency and cards fellowship I got the impression that Hopkins and MGH were resident driven and BWH was more fellow driven. I wanted a program that was resident driven, because I learned more by doing than watching others. After interviewing for cards fellowship, this confirmed my impression of the above programs.

Just my 2 cents....

I don't really understand fully what you mean by resident or fellow driven in this context!
Could you please, explain it?

Members don't see this ad :)
What I take this to mean is the culture of the department about calling consults. In some hospitals, you call cardiology when you need a cath, GI if you need a scope, renal if you need dialysis. In other hospitals, if a stable GI bleed comes it may be standard to "make GI aware" and the consult service follows along with you whether you need a scope or not and makes suggestions as to optimal management. The former is what I consider to be the style of a resident driven hospital, the later to be fellow driven.

Not sure if other people look at this differently?

First of all, I'm an MS4, waiting for match day. Ah, the good ole Harvard hospital wars. I can honestly tell you that the residents at these three hospitals are all incredibly talented, friendly, efficient. Personally, I have never heard an MGH resident talk smack about BWH residents. BWH residents all LOVE their program, I have heard the expression, "hand holding" "we give each other hugs", etc. The BI gets a reputation of being the lesser of the harvard hospitals but its in fact great if you want to do research (you have access to ANY Harvard faculty), it is friendlier with respect to interns not having autonomy early on, probably the best computer system (Yes better than the Partners one I think).
I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. But if you want a name I would suggest BWH or MGH. Now, who ever said MGH is Toxic obviously has never spent time there and is basing it on others opinions. If you ask the residents they would not agree. I did most of my rotations there and I can tell you it is not a toxic place. If you knew me you would not picture me as a Toxic person, (you may even think I'm a BWH type of gal since I like my hand to be held and I like giving hugs) but I love MGH. Sure you work hard as an intern, but there is ALWAYS help, and you CAN ask for it. The senior residents enjoy teaching. It is THEIR job to teach, they have no other responsibilities but seeing your new admits, discussing the cases with you, with the occasional codes they have to go to. The reason you get so much autonomy at MGH is that it gives you confidence, not cockiness.

My point is basically there is really NO difference among the residents or hospitals in Boston other than the whole front loaded thing. and MGH is not malignant or toxic. If you knew the program director, he is the sweetest person you will ever meet. and he recently won an award for best program director.

(sorry for the multiple posts - my computer's screwing up)

First of all, I'm an MS4, waiting for match day. Ah, the good ole Harvard hospital wars. I can honestly tell you that the residents at these three hospitals are all incredibly talented, friendly, efficient. Personally, I have never heard an MGH resident talk smack about BWH residents. BWH residents all LOVE their program, I have heard the expression, "hand holding" "we give each other hugs", etc. The BI gets a reputation of being the lesser of the harvard hospitals but its in fact great if you want to do research (you have access to ANY Harvard faculty), it is friendlier with respect to interns not having autonomy early on, probably the best computer system (Yes better than the Partners one I think).
I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. But if you want a name I would suggest BWH or MGH. Now, who ever said MGH is Toxic obviously has never spent time there and is basing it on others opinions. If you ask the residents they would not agree. I did most of my rotations there and I can tell you it is not a toxic place. If you knew me you would not picture me as a Toxic person, (you may even think I'm a BWH type of gal since I like my hand to be held and I like giving hugs) but I love MGH. Sure you work hard as an intern, but there is ALWAYS help, and you CAN ask for it. The senior residents enjoy teaching. It is THEIR job to teach, they have no other responsibilities but seeing your new admits, discussing the cases with you, with the occasional codes they have to go to. The reason you get so much autonomy at MGH is that it gives you confidence, not cockiness.

My point is basically there is really NO difference among the residents or hospitals in Boston other than the whole front loaded thing. and MGH is not malignant or toxic. If you knew the program director, he is the sweetest person you will ever meet. and he recently won an award for best program director.

Nice post - I would just add 3 things:
1: the general perspective of a program will always differ slightly for someone outside of the program vs someone already in the program. Some of this is selection bias, and some of it is that je-ne-sais-quoi that intrinsically prevents any big life endeavor from becoming distilled into trite generalizations. In the case of this forum topic, BWH will probably seem more touchy-feely to the outsider than to the average current BWH resident (as I mentioned in my earlier post). MGH, too, will likely seem more intense to the outsider than to someone who has elected to do their training there.
2: the general perspective will similarly differ for an MS4 vs an intern/resident. I don't mean no disrespect to newyorkgal or anyone else, but it's the truth, and one has to actually undergo that transition in order to understand it.
3: as one of my friends from MGH once said, you find a lot of applicants deciding on MGH vs BWH, or MGH vs Hopkins, but not a lot of uncertainty when it comes to BWH vs Hopkins. The flavor and diversity of MGH allow for the coexistence of such mutually-exclusive intersections.

Otherwise, I agree with newenglandgal's comments. There is enough cross-breeding among all the Harvard hospitals for most of us to safely say that there's no difference in the calibre of training among any of them. (Case in point: among next year's crop of oncology fellows at Dana-Farber, the word is that an equal number are coming from each of the three Harvard hospitals.)

Regarding resident- vs fellow-driven hospitals, the reputation is indeed, as someone mentioned, that BWH is perhaps the most fellow-driven of the hospitals-in-question on this thread. It's hard to define what this actually means; someone's earlier post about calling consults for procedural purposes vs "to have so-and-so on-board" summed up the issue nicely for the most part, but I think it goes a tad beyond that. From my perspective, I do think a lot of residents at the Brigham are asked by attendings to call consults on cases that the residents oftentimes don't think require specialist input. However, the two times I explored this issue in depth were with ID fellows (who rotate at both BWH and MGH): one said his workload and overall complexity of consult cases was similar at BWH and MGH; the other said she was frequently quite busy on her call nights at MGH answering "curbside" calls (ie, informal questions on management, as opposed to full consult requests) from on-call interns. So do fellows have a stronger presence at one hospital than at another? On paper, perhaps yes; in practice, uncertain. (I've also heard it said that BWH is a nurse-run hospital, whereas MGH is physician-run, but that's a whole other issue.)

One final thing: I'd like to rehash a wonderful point that someone else made in an earlier post. We all get caught up on comparing hospitals and residency programs. But consider this: go to any big hospital, and you'll see medical interns/residents frantically reading uptodate and the New England Journal and discussing zebras at morning report. And then go to a small community clinic in the middle of the country and you'll also see the interns/residents frantically reading uptodate and the New England Journal and discussing zebras at their morning report. The point is that nowadays, everyone everywhere is utilizing the same canon of references and resources. So wherever you go, as long as you have ample first-hand exposure to diverse cases, and as long as you've got sound colleagues and good mentors, you should be able to get the training you need to do whatever it is you want to do later on.

Has anyone heard any feedback from Hopkins after interviewing there?

So, to further beat a dead horse. I received interviews at many wonderful residency programs including BID. I did not receive an interview at MGH or BWH. I can't help but shake the feeling that BID is somehow inferior to the other programs despite the previous posts. For example, when people mention the best programs there is usually some variation of MGH/Hopkins/BWH and UCSF at the top and BID is often in a much lower tier. Furthermore, I have noticed that most HMS students going into IM go to BWH or MGH, not BID despite having presumably extensive knowlegdge of the three hospitals and the types of training they offer. Basically, I liked BID, but cannot shake the feeling that if it was so great, more HMS students would be going there. Am I wrong? Any corrections or confirmations of my impressions would be greatly appreciated.

So, to further beat a dead horse. I received interviews at many wonderful residency programs including BID. I did not receive an interview at MGH or BWH. I can't help but shake the feeling that BID is somehow inferior to the other programs despite the previous posts. For example, when people mention the best programs there is usually some variation of MGH/Hopkins/BWH and UCSF at the top and BID is often in a much lower tier. Furthermore, I have noticed that most HMS students going into IM go to BWH or MGH, not BID despite having presumably extensive knowlegdge of the three hospitals and the types of training they offer. Basically, I liked BID, but cannot shake the feeling that if it was so great, more HMS students would be going there. Am I wrong? Any corrections or confirmations of my impressions would be greatly appreciated.

No no no - stop thinking this way! The dialogue in which we engage on this thread is basically like those "school pride" debates among fresh college grads from Harvard, Stanford, Princeton, Yale, and MIT arguing over who's got the best credentials - it's all in fun but doesn't amount to anything. BID is excellent; the interns/residents are outstanding (we work with a lot of them on our cancer services at the Brigham), and they all match very well for fellowship - plus each year the BWH/MGH programs in turn send a bunch of grads to the BID for fellowship. Believe me: once you start internship/residency, the last thing that will deign to cross your mind will be these "who's hot/who's not" chats - you'll be too busy doing potassium repletions and I/O checks.

I never knew that following these threads could be so addicting ... I gotta stop and get back to work before I become one of those old guys who keeps going back to their high school homecomings! Good luck to everyone with the match (again)!!

So, while I totally agree with the above post about the arbitrary nature of this thread. I am bored and somehow have to decide how to make a rank list of programs when I am not married to any particular location and am not pursuing a competitive subspecialty. I just want the best training that I can get and I realize that I will be probably be excellently trained at any place on my list. However, for the sake of discussion. I saw a post from last year showing that of HMS students choosing IM, 11 matched at MGH, 9 matched at BWH, and 3 matched at BID. Now if this post is accurate, why the discrepancy? Ah, the things we do to pass time during fourth year.

I posted this on the UCSF thread but it seems pretty dead. I figure there is probably a lot of overlap in people that are considering both these programs.
Do any BWH or UCSF interns/residents or applicants have any insight on why someone might rank one over the other (besides HIV/underserved at UCSF) and whether residents are generally happier at one vs. another. I really like both programs it just seems like Brigham is a little more friendly and supportive and UCSF is a little bit more hardcore, harder call, maybe more autonomy. also, it seems like the financial constraints of being a UC might have a negative impact on resident quality of life and education. not trying to knock either program as they are obviously both amazing just looking for some insight.

So, while I totally agree with the above post about the arbitrary nature of this thread. I am bored and somehow have to decide how to make a rank list of programs when I am not married to any particular location and am not pursuing a competitive subspecialty. I just want the best training that I can get and I realize that I will be probably be excellently trained at any place on my list. However, for the sake of discussion. I saw a post from last year showing that of HMS students choosing IM, 11 matched at MGH, 9 matched at BWH, and 3 matched at BID. Now if this post is accurate, why the discrepancy? Ah, the things we do to pass time during fourth year.

as a 4th year at hms i can offer my perspective

in the past, following the merger of beth israel with new england deaconness, i think a number of hms students shyed away due to concerns about the financial stability of the hospital and the long term outlook for the program. my sense is that this is now a non-issue, but the bias away from bidmc may have persisted at least in part because of this

honestly i think the more important reason why hms students tend to prefer mgh and bwh is the prestige factor, not because training is necessarily superior. especially for people gunning for the most competitive subspecialities at some of the most competitive places (e.g. cards at bwh) there is a feeling that doing medicine at one of the partners hospitals (bwh or mgh) would provide an advantage come time for fellowship applications.

having done the majority of my 3rd year core rotations at bidmc, i can say that the residents are quite good, and the attention to education is one of the outstanding features of the program. in general the atmosphere is a little more relaxed and down-to-earth (for boston) compared to bwh and mgh.

hope this helps

cheers

As the third HMS person on this thread I agree with everything said by the above poster. I have done many clerkships at the BIDMC and it is a wonderful place to train and the residents are amazing people. I would be happy to speak to anyone about the hosptial if they have questions.

Honestly, as pertains to clinical education (not research) what is it about any random program that makes it better than another? The faculty that are teaching there?? The type of cases they get?? The call schedule?? Can anyone really judge these differences?

One thing to remember - The same medical knowledge available at Hopkins is available at MGH and hospital X in Wyoming. The difference for me is the quality of individual residents and their ability to learn, retain and use that medical knowledge for the benefit of their patients and not just to show off that they know something random and obscure. Also, how about the quality of personal interaction between pt and doctor - very important rating but can you argue that this depends on the institution rather than the individual?

One thing you can maybe argue is that the experience of those around you, teaching you, can make you a better doctor. Valid argument but no one here can really quantify the experience of doctors at one institution compared to another because experience is also individual and Dr T at program X in Wyoming may have had just as useful experience in fulminant hepatitis as Dr Y at BWH or Penn. Also, experience is often disseminated in clinical guidelines and research followed by most physicians making it even less institution dependent.

My point is, you can be and should try to be the best, most personable physician you can, regardless of where you train and remember that this isn't about who has the most knowledge on topic X but who can connect with their patients and use that knowledge to help them.

....I sound like a freaking hippy ;)
This has to be the best post I've read in this forum in a loooong time. And this idea of connecting with patients is why I'm not even ranking Hopkins but am putting Mayo (Rochester) #1. I do think the institution and culture and make a big impact on how doctors serve their patients. Remember, it's us serving them, not them serving us! I think the environment at Mayo allows their doctors to treat the patient very well and in ways I've never seen in other top rated places.

Minnesota is almost Wyoming, right ;)

I am bored and somehow have to decide how to make a rank list of programs ...
Let me help you: your SDN name has the word "deacon" in it. How much more obvious do you want it to be!

I have actually been wondering the same things you have, and have decided that the name factor is much smaller than I once thought.

Appreciate the love googliegoo, I had a moment of inspiration;)

Hey...I am an IMG and just wanted to know-which residency programms aresituated in the area where there is the most lower cost of living and are good for practice and then fellowships opportunities?cuz I am in huge economical trouble:confused: :( Hope to hear from someone.I will apply for 2008 match and I have step-1 score of 83,have GC.thanks guys in advance.Good luck.

Hey...I am an IMG and just wanted to know-which residency programms aresituated in the area where there is the most lower cost of living and are good for practice and then fellowships opportunities?cuz I am in huge economical trouble:confused: :( Hope to hear from someone.I will apply for 2008 match and I have step-1 score of 83,have GC.thanks guys in advance.Good luck.
Is your economical trouble :confused: :( due to yourspelling.Or maybe grammar and punctuation? Sorry, just impatient today. Why do I see so many F/IMGs on this board not using spaces between sentences? Is that mostly an English/Western convention?

Anyway, to answer your question: cheap cost of living with great fellowship opportunities....Mayo in Rochester Minnesota would be my first through. WashU in St. Louis is pretty reasonable for a decent sized city. Maybe OHSU in Portland, but I don't know for sure. Michigan in Ann Arbor. Many places in the Midwest, probably some out West other than in California, or in the South.

Is your economical trouble :confused: :( due to yourspelling.Or maybe grammar and punctuation? Sorry, just impatient today. Why do I see so many F/IMGs on this board not using spaces between sentences? Is that mostly an English/Western convention?

Anyway, to answer your question: cheap cost of living with great fellowship opportunities....Mayo in Rochester Minnesota would be my first through. WashU in St. Louis is pretty reasonable for a decent sized city. Maybe OHSU in Portland, but I don't know for sure. Michigan in Ann Arbor. Many places in the Midwest, probably some out West other than in California, or in the South.
You sound pretty condescending in the above comment i must confess:( . I''ll want to believe it was just a joke not your true persona.