Breast reduction

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheEponine

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any views on breast reduction?

Members don't see this ad.

Dolphin said:
Any views on breast reduction?

They make breasts smaller, and may be indicated for some patients, giving them great relief.

how long is the recovery period typically?

Members don't see this ad :)
bjolly said:
how long is the recovery period typically?
Well it kind of depends on the procedure, IIRC the recovery period is 3-6 weeks, but it's variable based on amount of tissue removed, whether a mastopexy was done, etc. Hopefully a real plastic surgeon can come along and answer this, do you have an immediate or specific concern?

I have an appointment with a plastic surgeon today and was just wondering if any of you guys know anything. But thanks anyway

doctor doom--my gf is considering looking into breast reduction, and was just wondering how long she would have to miss from work. thanks for the response!

Hi, I just talked to the surgeon and he said I definitely needed one. I will be out of school for 10-12 days but I'm going to have it done during Christmas break. I'll be in the hospital for 2 days.

bjolly said:
doctor doom--my gf is considering looking into breast reduction, and was just wondering how long she would have to miss from work. thanks for the response!
No problem... the only real answer will be in consultation with an experienced plastic surgeon, again, based on the actual procedure. I hope the procedure helps your girlfriend!

Hi, I just talked to the surgeon and he said I definitely needed one. I will be out of school for 10-12 days but I'm going to have it done during Christmas break. I'll be in the hospital for 2 days.

Excellent. That all sounds about normal. I hope that the procedure helps you!

If you feel like you can, share some specifics of the procedure discussed, for edification purposes. No personal details except what is clinically relevant!

Thanks!

Dolphin said:
I'll be in the hospital for 2 days.

That's an awfully long time in the hospital after a reduction. The majority of surgeons do just an overnite stay, and an increasing number are doing it as an outpatient procedure

droliver said:
That's an awfully long time in the hospital after a reduction. The majority of surgeons do just an overnite stay,

I assumed that's what she meant?

What's the outpatient criteria? I assume that's only for simple reduction mammoplasty without mastopexy?

Apparently 2 days is not a long time. But I have to stay for 2 days in case of some bleeding and stuff, I think it's better to be in the hospital for 2 days than at home I guess because I'd just feel safer!

But I'll definitely share some details with you but I just don't know a lot about it now because I won't see my surgeon again until the evening before the surgery :oops: I think that's pretty 'vow' because I thought I would have another appointment or something.
But I have an appointment with another plastic surgeon in May because he does this differently, he doesn't remove the nipple, so I'm also going to talk to him and get an opinion from him.

While a lot of people are writing about various reductions with minimal incisions, the feelings of more people then not seems to be that its a lot of sound & fury signifying nothing. The scar of the traditional wise pattern seems to bother surgeons more then patients. Most patients would prefer a better shape then a slightly shorter scar (which would show anyway as its the vertical limb) & outside the talking head circuit of academia many people feel very little need to experiment with a technique that's a little more unpredictable with the results & not applicable to many of the patients you see for reductions.

It's easy to get a nice result using the new techniques when you're doing a small reduction. When you're taking a lot off, you'll almost always go back to a Wise/inferior pedicle.

Just thought I'd post on this subject. I had breast reduction on Monday at the University of Virginia's Ambulatory Surgery Center. I went from a DD to a C cup. Let me tell you, those guys were AWESOME. I went into the OR at about 7:45am and I was out of surgery ~ 10:30 and on the way back to my hotel room at 12:20pm. I joked around that they were Jiffy Boob. I wore drains until Thursday and then had those taken out. I was prescribed Keflex and Percocet, although, I switched from Percocet to Tylenol two days ago!

I have experienced VERY minimal discomfort and have been extremely chipper! I have not shed one tear and I expected that I would be in extreme pain. I recently graduated from UVA (Bachelors in Sports Medicine) and have been living with my parents and my mom has had to remind me to take it easy!

I can't wait to get back to jogging (doc says 6 weeks). Shoulder fatigue was always the limiting factor in my workouts and wearing maternity sports bras wasn't good enough.

My stitches come out on Thursday the 19th.

DD to a C!?!?! What a ****ing waste!

I promised I'd keep you posted so well... I spoke to a third plastic surgeon yesterday and I absolutely loved him. The first one I spoke to was very good too but I have to probably wait til December or more but it'll be worth it. Because the doctor I spoke to yesterday he really could read my mind, he knew exactly what I was thinking and he explained everything really well. I have DD cups now but he says my body needs B breasts which is exactly what I was thinking because my breasts are way too big for sports!!!
And I get more excited every day, I can't sit still :D :D
He said that if it were up to him he'd send the women back the same way but he says that most women want to stay 2 nights but I think I'll just stay overnight in case something happens, which it shouldn't. And I've been reading a lot about this on the internet and everyone seems to be so happy.
I'm just too excited

My gf once brought up the topic of breast reduction. My jaw literally dropped to the floor. I like them the way they are. :D

Sher9mm said:
Just thought I'd post on this subject. I had breast reduction on Monday at the University of Virginia's Ambulatory Surgery Center. I went from a DD to a C cup. Let me tell you, those guys were AWESOME. I went into the OR at about 7:45am and I was out of surgery ~ 10:30 and on the way back to my hotel room at 12:20pm. I joked around that they were Jiffy Boob. I wore drains until Thursday and then had those taken out. I was prescribed Keflex and Percocet, although, I switched from Percocet to Tylenol two days ago!

I have experienced VERY minimal discomfort and have been extremely chipper! I have not shed one tear and I expected that I would be in extreme pain. I recently graduated from UVA (Bachelors in Sports Medicine) and have been living with my parents and my mom has had to remind me to take it easy!

I can't wait to get back to jogging (doc says 6 weeks). Shoulder fatigue was always the limiting factor in my workouts and wearing maternity sports bras wasn't good enough.

My stitches come out on Thursday the 19th.

Sounds like a great experience for you. I had a wonderful time there as a student doing a visiting elective with Drs. Drake and Morgan and will be applying there for fellowship this year.

Best of luck to you...

:) I love plastic surgery, I think it's great for your self confidence. I've had a couple of friends who have had reductions, they seem to be the most satisfied of all plastic surgery patients I've seen. Others simply expect a little too much. One thing though, it's good that you're comparing plastic surgeons. As a veteran a many surgeries (rhinoplasties, lipo, thigh and hip, thigh tuck, etc.) I always look at the surgeon's portfolio and I always ask him/her to draw a picture of a woman's face. I know it's an odd request, however, I have found that if a plastic surgeon isn't artistic then he will most likely not do a good job. If the surgeon won't give you this courtesy then he's not the type of person who is eager to please his patient/customer.
I look for the following qualities in a plastic surgeon: He/she must have good taste (decor of the office and the way he looks does count); artistic talent; perfectionism, (you do want a perfectionist, even one who is to the point of being anal about it!); and he/she must be eager to please. Another factor I look at is how long does it take to make an appointment (although, caution, this isn't always a factor) and how well known they are (although, caution again, this is definitely not always a factor). Friendliness of the surgeon is absolutely never a factor, the more serious the more fastidious. The combination of these criteria will show the surgeon that you are not only a patient but a discerning customer, if he doesn't meet all of these criteria, then go on to the next one. If it's your first plastic surgery, then I'd advise you to go to about 5 surgeons, choose from ones that'll do the surgery very inexpensively to ones whose cost is prohibitive, until you find the one that is perfect for you, until you have found "your type"; by visiting a number of varied surgeons you'll learn a lot about plastic surgeons in general. Then never expect miracles, the results are usually never what you'd expect, just expect to be different. Although, for breast reduction I've never known anyone to be less than thrilled. Best of luck!! :)
Jayne