Breaks between residency rotations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

justclouds9000

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone's residency/internship schedule have breaks or days off between end of work at one site and start of work at the next? If so, what does this look like in your program.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
When I was a med psych resident, senior medicine residents had a two day difference in their rotations than other residents (to promote continuity on medicine ward teams), so there was a couple of times I got 2 days essentially off switching between psych and medicine blocks

Can't speak for psych but some residencies just happen to have a "golden weekend" from time to time between rotations, though this is more common if you are going from an outpatient t0 outpatient month, rotations that are more M-F 9-5. Even then, some residencies find ways to put you to work to get that 6 days/week that the ACGME allows for.

I have heard of programs in various fields that manage to work in Golden Weekends between rotations most of the time! That is pretty unusual, though.

The answer is that it can vary, but things tend to err on the side of kiss your weekends/two days off in a row goodbye in residency for the most part.

My understanding is that at least, a psych intern year isn't all that different/easier than the standard.

Reactions: 1 user
Can't speak for psych but some residencies just happen to have a "golden weekend" from time to time between rotations, though this is more common if you are going from an outpatient t0 outpatient month, rotations that are more M-F 9-5. Even then, some residencies find ways to put you to work to get that 6 days/week that the ACGME allows for.

I have heard of programs in various fields that manage to work in Golden Weekends between rotations most of the time! That is pretty unusual, though.

The answer is that it can vary, but things tend to err on the side of kiss your weekends/two days off in a row goodbye in residency for the most part.

My understanding is that at least, a psych intern year isn't all that different/easier than the standard.

In our program we work Saturday and Sunday on our on call weekends. Get both days off on the off call weekends. Differs from place to place.

Reactions: 1 users
I got a day off between medicine and going back on service during my first year. That is entirely because the medicine people had me scheduled to work the Saturday overnight before and my program scheduled me to start night float at 5 pm on a Sunday, and I had to point out that I would violate duty hours as a result.

Not actually that much of a win.

No breaks. This isn’t med school. If you’re not working and not on vacation, the hospital isn’t making money.