Breaking contract for extra $$

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lol lol

Reaction score
Contract specifies I can't be a medical director for anyone else. I feel like they most likely won't find out.

Don't ask don't tell?

OR

Don't risk it for the extra crumbs?

Members don't see this ad.

Contract specifies I can't be a medical director for anyone else. I feel like they most likely won't find out.

Don't ask don't tell?

OR

Or be a man/woman of your word. If you don’t like the terms you signed, renegotiate

Reactions: 1 users

Don't ask don't tell?

OR

You ABSOLUTELY need to speak with an atty, preferably one who specializes in employment law, specifically as it pertains to physicians. there are lots of them.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

Don't ask don't tell?

OR

If your current contract stipulates that breaking the contract will result in your termination due to breach of the agreement and you may be liable for material harm done the company by your breach (that itself may be identified through a protracted legal process you are likely to have to pay for), you may have a bad time when you take this additional role.

If the two entities are not and cannot be construed as competitors AND your current agreement is not full time OR your new role is limited to after hours or weekends, you may be able to convince your current employer/contractor to allow you an exemption from that clause of your contract, or as others have suggested, renegotiate.

Is this a contract with your pathology group, employer, or hospital? In general, its always a bad idea to deceive your group/employer and especially bad if you're not a managing partner because you're very likely to be let go. If it's a contract with a hospital, that can be a different story. In my state non-compete clauses are always put into hospital contracts but are usually unenforced unless they're such egregious violations and those who do try to enforce them end up losing >95% of the time. If it is a contract with a lab or entity you don't own or have a stake in, on the renegotiation of the contract you can either state you want that provision out or put a radius restriction around it.

During COVID I have found out that hospitals have essentially thrown out contracts, changed them with no negotiations or simply ignored whole portions to suit their needs.

Similar to law in Portland, contracts are barely polite suggestions now.

Proceed.

Terrible idea. You’d have to be 1) nuts and 2) a liar to knowingly violate the contract you signed with your main employer in order to secure what is probably a negligible secondary source of income.

Ask permission to change the agreement.

Terrible idea. You’d have to be 1) nuts and 2) a liar to knowingly violate the contract you signed with your main employer in order to secure what is probably a negligible secondary source of income.

Ask permission to change the agreement.

There have been entire hospital systems of pathologists who have received 20% reductions in medical directorship, pay, bonuses etc. Since April, I have seen utter disregard for in force contracts by the other side that this is literally nothing.

What are they gonna do? Waste time to potentially get someone interested to take your contract? Even if they do, odds are it will cost you more, meaning that for zero gain your hospital is now paying more for the same service.

Certainly tell and I would doubt they even care..

Remember that you can only hold 5 non-waived CLIA licenses under your name, so if you're close to that number at either one there may a point you need to mention it.

Since April, I have seen utter disregard for in force contracts by the other side that this is literally nothing.

That is surely true, but in my experience, one’s reputation and perceived personal integrity also directly affect business opportunities and success, especially long-term. I’m simply advising the guy against torching his local reputation for what probably amounts to a couple hundred bucks a month.

That is surely true, but in my experience, one’s reputation and perceived personal integrity also directly affect business opportunities and success, especially long-term. I’m simply advising the guy against torching his local reputation for what probably amounts to a couple hundred bucks a month.

I am absolutely not disagreeing, but merely point out we have passed an inflection point in the relationships between medical groups and hospitals, especially larger hospital systems.

Its a paradigm shift in the manner in which business is conducted where honor and local reputation is far less a factor and pure dollars or corrupt connections are the keys to the kingdom, sadly. I definitely do not celebrate this change.

Don't ask don't tell?

OR

If you sweet talk your current employer you can get can exception if you downplay the secondary role. From the contract POV, they are probably worried you might divert your time/energy towards your second venture. I would keep it all above board, but get an okay through an email. Likely they are more concerned over COVID right now than to care about your side hustle.

Man, I would just run this past as an atty as it has a contract involved you cannot understand as they do. it’s quick and cheap as attys go. it’s a contract review.