dermpath job contract question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kwyjibo

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am currently considering a position at a pod lab for a PE-backed derm group. They are offering 45% of PC. Is this fair compensation or should I shoot for more during negotiation?

Other jobs I have inquired about had the following arrangements: 1) 15 per slide 2) 35% global and 3) 35 each for first two slides of a specimen.

Your help is greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

45% of PC billing or collections? Need to know this. And will they show you enough to be able to get at the real number for $ / 305 that you would make?
I am hearing $15 / 305 around here too and that is with the pathologist acting as a contractor and carrying there own malpractice.
To get an occurrence-made policy, which is getting harder and harder to get underwritten these day, it could easily cost 10-15K annually, So at 15/305 takes almost 1,000 cases to cover your malpractice costs...Also you take a week vaca, you make nothing...This is depressing to me

Members don't see this ad :)
I now see the "published" shortage first hand. Yep, need more paths. Obviously a massive need for dermpaths. No one deserves 45% of PC. US grads going into path needs to hit 0.

Sheesh. Medicine is getting so bad. 45% of your professional component?!? Definitely reminds me of that book about the Rape of emergency medicine. Paths shouldn’t be taking these jobs. Nobody should be giving away any percentage of their professional component as far as I’m concerned.

45% of PC billing or collections? Need to know this. And will they show you enough to be able to get at the real number for $ / 305 that you would make?
I am hearing $15 / 305 around here too and that is with the pathologist acting as a contractor and carrying there own malpractice.
To get an occurrence-made policy, which is getting harder and harder to get underwritten these day, it could easily cost 10-15K annually, So at 15/305 takes almost 1,000 cases to cover your malpractice costs...Also you take a week vaca, you make nothing...This is depressing to me

45 percent of collections. Occurrence malpractice will be provided along with benefits (health , matching 401k). They estimate 7000 specimens so far with more to come. I am planning to supplement this with other work.
I realize there are overhead costs (rent, transcriptionists, PA for grossing, LIS fees, etc) but I wasn't sure what would be an appropriate amount to take off the top from the PC. I've heard anywhere from 30-70 percent.

"45 percent of collections......."
--------------------------------------------
So that might be too bad depending on payer mix (you need to know this really too)
------------------------------------
"Sheesh. Medicine is getting so bad. 45% of your professional component?!? Definitely reminds me of that book about the Rape of emergency medicine. Paths shouldn’t be taking these jobs. Nobody should be giving away any percentage of their professional component as far as I’m concerned."

-------------------------------------

Folks gotta work, what to do if this is the best one can get in market where you live?

Sheesh. Medicine is getting so bad. 45% of your professional component?!? Definitely reminds me of that book about the Rape of emergency medicine. Paths shouldn’t be taking these jobs. Nobody should be giving away any percentage of their professional component as far as I’m concerned.

That book is eye opening. Pathologists should read this.

EM managed to turn it around. We can too

"45 percent of collections......."
--------------------------------------------
So that might be too bad depending on payer mix (you need to know this really too)
------------------------------------
"Sheesh. Medicine is getting so bad. 45% of your professional component?!? Definitely reminds me of that book about the Rape of emergency medicine. Paths shouldn’t be taking these jobs. Nobody should be giving away any percentage of their professional component as far as I’m concerned."

-------------------------------------

Folks gotta work, what to do if this is the best one can get in market where you live?

80% medicare, 20% private. The practice and its satellite locations are situated in a retirement community with mostly neoplasm cases.

But academics want to recruit more med students to a currently oversupplied path market LOL!!!!

I recently read a tweet from someone who said there's a shortage of pathologists!!! Academics are clueless.

These in office pathologists are making bank. I don't blame them at all. Good hours good money. If they don't take it someone else will.

Reactions: 1 users
A flat fee is definitely more appropriate than a % which may qualify as fee splitting.

These in office pathologists are making bank. I don't blame them at all. Good hours good money. If they don't take it someone else will.
How do peeps go about finding in office path gigs? Purely word of mouth?

Call every group up, walk in to their practice , introduce yourself and say that you want to make them free money. Should turn some heads. Negotiate well for yourself. Don't get exploited too much lol. The current state of Pathology allows this to occur unfortunately. If you don't do it then outpatient labs/Quest will happily take the specimens.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
What's an in office pathologist?
A very rich and happy pathologist lol.

I am an expert on this. If you practice in a no mark up state it is like shooting fish in a barrel. PM me if you want to know more. I have mastered the methodology.