"Brand-name" program vs. "Small-name" program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premed747

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I need to find a post-bacc pre-med program which enables me to enhance my low undergrad GPA and which supports me to get good grades at my prerequisit science courses as well as a letter of recommendation (all of them after hard work - of course). I searched the forum and I am very surprised about the negative posts regarding Columbia and "brand-name" schools in general. It seems that it is almost impossible to get good grades and a letter of recommendation at "brand-name" schools and their students are called to be notoriously competitive. Truth?

a) My question to all of you who are attending a program at a "brand-name" or "small-name" school or to those who already completed such a program is wheter it is still better to attend a "brand-name" program in order to get accepted at med school?

b) Which "small-name" school could you recommend?

c) What do you think about:
Bryn Mawr, Goucher, Harvard Extension, Temple, Tufts?

d) What do you think about:
NY: Hofstra University, Manhattanville College, Dowling College (NY)
MA: Mount Holyoke College, Assumption College, Brandeis University
PA: Albright College, Duquesne University, Immaculata University, La Salle University?

Thanks a lot for your help and patience!

Members don't see this ad.

If you are just looking for undergrad work to bump the undergrad, GPA just go to your nearest 4 year state school.

Whn you've done all you can at the 4 year state school and the GPA is a high as all thsoe credits will let you go, I'd recommend a Master's SMP.

Rosalind Franklin's AP program and Boston Uni MAMS come to mind.

The trick is to maximize your time and money.

:luck:

p.s Philanthropist is the post-bacc guru. he is very busy, but if you send him a PM and ask him to answer you post, he will get back to you in a few days. Phil's advice is always right on.

I forgot to tell you that I already have a master's degree and I was hoping to enhance my GPA with my science courses that I will take at the post-bacc pre-med program. Going to a state school for another 4 years as well as a master's SMP just seems very (too) long.
I just need some information on experiences with brand-name or small-name programs of the schools listed above.

Thank you very much though for your help!!

Members don't see this ad :)
premed747 said:
I forgot to tell you that I already have a master's degree and I was hoping to enhance my GPA with my science courses that I will take at the post-bacc pre-med program. Going to a state school for another 4 years as well as a master's SMP just seems very (too) long.
I just need some information on experiences with brand-name or small-name programs of the schools listed above.

Thank you very much though for your help!!

post baccs are as long as u want them to be. They are usually 1 to 2 years. :thumbup:

whats your current gpa and how high are u trying to get it?

markboonya said:
whats your current gpa and how high are u trying to get it?

GPA 3.0 trying to get it as high as possible of course. =) How many credits would I have to take (assuming just A's and some B's) if I want to enhance my GPA to a .... let's say... 3.6 or 3.7?

premed747 said:
GPA 3.0 trying to get it as high as possible of course. =) How many credits would I have to take (assuming just A's and some B's) if I want to enhance my GPA to a .... let's say... 3.6 or 3.7?

if you have a 3.0 with 180 credits of undergrad then you need to take more than 200 to get to a 3.7, and thats only if you got a 4.0

your best shot is to get all A's in the science courses, get a high MCAT score, get great LOR, do some great volunteer work and someone will let you in somewhere im sure. no easy task but you're not out of it.