BPD and getting sued?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

biogirl215

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Given the general propensity for many people with BPD to be volitile and accusatory, do you ever worry that you'll be falsely accused of some inappropriate behavior? How do you guard against this?

Members don't see this ad.

Worried? No. But this is always a risk. Comes with the territory. During graduate clinical training you learn alot about ethics as well as learning how to covering your ass legally, should you be accused of something. Guarding against frivolous lawsuits is easier than avoiding false accusations though. Many things here, but probably most importantly, know how to deal with pathology, dont get sucked in, don;t take things personally, follow the ethics code, dont give out your cell number, consult with peers, know how to write good progress notes, and document, document, document,

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
There is also the Federal Government... Military means never having to pay for malpractice insurance. :) At least not until I retire.

Mark

Agreed with document, document, document --

I live in a state where we have been under-the gun with constant audits and a few Federal evaluations of state facilities. Bad things can happen even with the best of intent... just let your records reflect that you thought things through, add reasons for choosing whatever intervention, document phone calls, emails, family contact, whatever...

Just my opinion, I have a more personal story that I don't want to get into on the board if you are interested. Pm me.