"Bound by law to offer gender affirming advice."

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Lol. I'm kind of aghast at the embracement of specific talking points and the endorsement that a laws instantly crush the things they penalize. You like never see these two beliefs together...
And an actual physician is in serious agreement with the original poster, who is clearly a troll. Never mind the repeatedly proven systemic racism that is part and parcel of American medical history. That’s the real scary part.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
The federal equivalent to British Columbia’s Human Rights Act was expanded four years ago to provide greater protection to transgender people, according to the LGBTQ+ news outlet Xtra. In 2017, the Parliament of Canada passed bill C-16, which added protections on the basis of both gender identity and expression in its existing nondiscrimination and hate crimes laws...
Thank goodness we don't have any of that nonsense here and I don't live in Commiefornia either
Title VII of the Civil Rights Act has protections on the basis of gender identity and sexual orientation. Very happy to disappoint you.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Title VII of the Civil Rights Act has protections on the basis of gender identity and sexual orientation. Very happy to disappoint you.
Show me where this has been applied in the US for a doctor in regards to a patient.

This title is for employers

Last edited:
In your testing, how do you compare norms? To their bio sex or gender identity?
I know you were responding to WisNeuro, but the short answer is--it depends. They're frequently adjusting and further-developing guidelines. Sometimes you compare to both, and/or you use measures that don't include sex-based adjustments.

Reactions: 1 user
I know you were responding to WisNeuro, but the short answer is--it depends. They're frequently adjusting and further-developing guidelines. Sometimes you compare to both, and/or you use measures that don't include sex-based adjustments.
So the guidelines include 68 genders now for comparison? Wouldn't want to offend anyone

Show me where this has been applied in the US for a doctor in regards to a patient.

This title is for employers
You first commented that Canada has made it "criminal" to use the wrong pronouns and cited a workplace example. Now, if I'm following correctly, your issue is that the US isn't levying penalties against doctors? If your concern is about mandated gender-affirming care, how about you show me an example of the US applying this against doctors.

I'm just wondering how to respect all gender identity with psych testing. Don't want to offend anyone.
Honestly, it's so rare. For things like IQ tests, there aren't separate norms. For some rating scales you can do boy/girl or combined. So it might be interesting to just have a look at all three norms, to see which one is of most clinical utility.

Not sure about MMPI or Milan, though.

In general, it prolly depends on the referral question.

Members don't see this ad :)
Serious follow-up question...in terms of the 'it depends'...are you saying that an individual's gender identity (as opposed to biological sex) would make a difference with respect to which norms (males/females) you would use for interpretation of, say, neuropsychological test performance?

So, say we have Person A who was born male and identifies as a man vs. Person B who was born male but identifies as a woman...

For Person A you would use the male norms but for Person B it would depend?

I know for the MMPI, from the RF onward we've had non-gendered norms but I am wondering if there are still some instruments (esp. in neuropsych) where there may be different norms for male/female.

Edit: I just found the APA web page on 'Psychological and Neuropsychological Assessment With Transgender and Gender Nonbinary Adults' and am digesting. A fascinating read.

Last edited:
Honestly, it's so rare. For things like IQ tests, there aren't separate norms. For some rating scales you can do boy/girl or combined. So it might be interesting to just have a look at all three norms, to see which one is of most clinical utility.

Not sure about MMPI or Milan, though.

In general, it prolly depends on the referral question.

Nope, not scored by gender.

Reactions: 1 users
Serious follow-up question...in terms of the 'it depends'...are you saying that an individual's gender identity (as opposed to biological sex) would make a difference with respect to which norms (males/females) you would use for interpretation of, say, neuropsychological test performance?

So, say we have Person A who was born male and identifies as a man vs. Person B who was born male but identifies as a woman...

For Person A you would use the male norms but for Person B it would depend?

I know for the MMPI, from the RF onward we've had non-gendered norms but I am wondering if there are still some instruments (esp. in neuropsych) where there may be different norms for male/female.

Edit: I just found the APA web page on 'Psychological and Neuropsychological Assessment With Transgender and Gender Nonbinary Adults' and am digesting. A fascinating read.

Very few in the neuro world. Something like the CVLT sure, but the newer versions have overall norms as well. Even so, the differences are fairly small. Other memory measures (E.g., WMS) are not gender stratified.

Very few in the neuro world. Something like the CVLT sure, but the newer versions have overall norms as well. Even so, the differences are fairly small. Other memory measures (E.g., WMS) are not gender stratified.
Cool. Thanks.

So for the few tests with gender stratification what do you compare it to? They have non-binary norms etc?

So you don't have those tests. There are many that have gender norms. Srs, Anxiety, aggression tests etc
Many tests have gender- or sex-based norms, but they often also have whole-sample norms or equivalent (or such published data can be found).

If there's a significant different between sexes/genders on testing, then as with anything else, it's ultimately up to the clinician to determine what tests to give and how to interpret them.

Reactions: 3 users
I have the SRS-2 in my arsenal of tests. I mainly use preschool form which has no gender differences in scoring. If I was using school-aged form with a client who identifies as a gender different from what was assigned at birth (and assuming I'd even know), I'd probably use the scoring form associated with the gender they identify with. I might even score it both ways just to see the differences. If client was of a sufficient developmental level to understand such things I'd discuss the issue with them. maybe there'd some slight inaccuracies with scoring, but for the incredibly small number that would be an issue it wouldnt be that big a deal. Malingering and demand characteristics of the items are more of a threat to validity than different gender norms would be. It's not unheard of (but not common) to get an SRS-2 result that seems totally out of line with my observations, other test results (e.g. ADOS-2; Vineland Socialization Scale). In those cases I deal with it how I see fit based on the client, then we all get on with our lives. I suppose I'd do the same with a client who identified with a gender different than they were born with. If my practice saw many of those types of clients, I'd probably avoid gender normed tests. Despite the large amount of attention this issue gets, base rates are so very low that it will not be issue for most of us (and I practice in an incredibly progressive leaning, LGBT acknowledging and friendly area- our city sidewalks are painted like rainbows!). When it is an issue, we will address threats to validity in our testing the way we always do (or should be doing), and there are more common threats that we deal with on a more regular basis.

Last edited:
I have the SRS-2 in my arsenal of tests. I mainly use preschool form which has no gender differences in scoring. If I was using school-aged form with a client who identifies as a gender different from what was assigned at birth (and assuming I'd even know), I'd probably use the scoring form associated with the gender they identify with. I might even score it both ways just to see the differences. If client was of a sufficient developmental level to understand such things I'd discuss the issue with them. maybe there'd some slight inaccuracies with scoring, but for the incredibly small number that would be an issue it wouldnt be that big a deal. Malingering and demand characteristics of the items are more of a threat to validity than different gender norms would be. It's not unheard of (but not common) to get an SRS-2 result that seems totally out of line with my observations, other test results (e.g. ADOS-2; Vineland Socialization Scale). In those cases I deal with it how I see fit based on the client, then we all get on with our lives. I suppose I'd do the same with a client who identified with a gender different than they were born with. If my practice saw many of those types of clients, I'd probably avoid gender normed tests. Despite the large amount of attention this issue gets, base rates are so very low that it will not be issue for most of us (and I practice in an incredibly progressive leaning, LGBT acknowledging and friendly area- our city sidewalks are painted like rainbows!). When it is an issue, we will address threats to validity in our testing the way we always do (or should be doing), and there are more common threats that we deal with on a more regular basis.
I like the tone of this post. Kind of reminds me of Taylor Swift, just need to calm down. Current generation is challenging gender and sexual norms probably moreso than anything else. Those have always been in flux and vary from culture to culture so probably not a very big deal in the scheme of things.

I like the tone of this post. Kind of reminds me of Taylor Swift, just need to calm down. Current generation is challenging gender and sexual norms probably moreso than anything else. Those have always been in flux and vary from culture to culture so probably not a very big deal in the scheme of things.
Exactly. Let's also give ourselves some credit here- well trained, conscientious psychologists who use norm-referenced instruments should (and do, from what I see) always be considering the extent to which individual client characteristics compare to those of the normative sample. Read the damn technical and interpretive manuals! Get intimate with the psychometrics of the tests you use. Test construction is not just 10 questions on the EPPP that you plan on getting wrong!

Let's say we did get a client who identified with a gender different from the biological, binary gender applied at birth. I would make a decision (in concert with that client, if possible) which gender-norms would be most appropriate, as well as have a discussion about the pros and cons of each. I think it would also be interesting for all involved to see the different results from using the different gender norms. I really can't envision a scenario where, for example, a score would fall in the severe deficit range of the Social Communication Index of the SRS-2 using the male scoring sheet, yet would be in the mild or WNL range using the female one (which are blue and pink, respectively, which is pretty outdated if you ask me!). There may be some sway either way at the borders, but if you are using such things in exclusion for making decisions about diagnosis, placement, treatment planning, etc., you have bigger issues.

I'm honestly amazed this issue hasnt come up more on any of they forensic listservs I'm on. Namely with SVT's.

Depends on the SVT, but my experience with most of them is that there are no real differences when it's been assessed, or if there are, it's a very small effect size. And, given that the cut scores are generally set at either .90+specificity, or 5+SDs above the mean, these differences are meaningless when used to assess for validity.

So for the few tests with gender stratification what do you compare it to? They have non-binary norms etc?
The psych field is on the sharp decline. You cant be taken seriously as a field when you begin to reject objective reality as a base line.

Thats debatable. It certainly provides protection based on SEX however, it does not protect gender identity. Something that is so fluid and self-definitive is not protected. This is not to say that people should be A-holes to one another. Also, VII is employment protections.

Thats debatable. It certainly provides protection based on SEX however, it does not protect gender identity. Something that is so fluid and self-definitive is not protected. This is not to say that people should be A-holes to one another. Also, VII is employment protections.
From the American Bar Association: "In a monumental decision from a trio of cases issued on June 15, 2020, the United States Supreme Court ruled that Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 prohibits discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation and/or transgender status"

From the American Bar Association: "In a monumental decision from a trio of cases issued on June 15, 2020, the United States Supreme Court ruled that Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 prohibits discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation and/or transgender status"
Yes, I learned about this recently. Its heavily debatable as this is not the same as barring a jewish girl from playing on the local softball team because she is jewish. It will be interesting to see where it goes.

It does in that gender identity and sexual orientation are inherently linked to sex--for example, a law, say, barring transgender women from employment is placing only people whose sex was determined as male at birth (interestingly, there are actually a decent amount of people who are intersex/have disorders of sexual development where their condition isn't diagnosed until later in life) at risk for discrimination for engaging in "female" gender expressions, whereas the same gender expression would be a-okay in someone whose sex at birth was determined to be female. Similarly, an employer firing a female employee for dating another women is discriminating on the basis of sex because they wouldn't fire a man for dating a woman. By narrowly defining "sex" as biological sex assigned at birth, the courts made the law expansive enough to cover gender identity and sexual orientation.

Again, I think a lot of these anti-trans issues are based in the "guy in a dress"/"girl who dresses like a guy" stereotype, where the issue people have isn't so much trans people as it trans people who don't pass or cis people who gender nonconfirming. No one would look askance at Hunter Schaffer (a trans woman) entering a women's bathroom, for example, or Laith Ashley (a trans man) entering a men's locker room and if they were to enter spaces designated for their sex assigned at birth, the same people pushing for these anti-trans bills that would require them to do so would probably scream that they were entering the "wrong" rooms. What you overwhelmingly get with these bills is cisgender gender non-confirming people (a lot of butch women) and trans people who are early in their transition or who are otherwise clocked being attacked, because they don't fit into rigid sex stereotypes more than anything.

Sports are a bit hairier, because there are physical advantages to be pumped full of testosterone during male puberty, but the extent to which those advantages fade (or don't) with long-term T suppression and estrogen replacement is more of an open question for science, and it's also further complicated by the fact that elite athletes tend to have some biological traits on the far end of the curve regardless of if they are trans or not. Personally, I thought the NCAA's previous stance on athletes competing under their natal sex until they started HRT made sense--then it was a personal, informed choice for each athlete if they were willing and able to delay HRT to compete for longer or not.

Re: testing issues (@Fan_of_Meehl , @ClinicalABA , @WisNeuro )--this article is often cited as seminal on this topic:

Keo-Meier, C. L., & Fitzgerald, K. M. (2017). Affirmative psychological testing and neurocognitive assessment with transgender adults. Psychiatric Clinics, 40(1), 51-64.

Thank you for the article, I actually overlapped with the lead author during my training. Decent overview, but pretty light on the neurocognitive piece. One thing I would like to see discussed, and researched, more is the potential for timing of transition to affect the development of some of the differences we see in cognition, as critical periods in development most likely play a role. Also, they should have probably just left out the DTI stuff, that literature is so far pretty experimental, and anything in the clinical realm using it is junk science. Most of the differences found between groups are extremely non-specific. For example, some of the DTI "differences" in mTBI are the same as we find in a sample fo non-traumatic TMJ sufferers, among other non-head injured clinical groups.

Re: testing issues (@Fan_of_Meehl , @ClinicalABA , @WisNeuro )--this article is often cited as seminal on this topic:

Keo-Meier, C. L., & Fitzgerald, K. M. (2017). Affirmative psychological testing and neurocognitive assessment with transgender adults. Psychiatric Clinics, 40(1), 51-64.

Thanks. I am always struck by the dichotomy between how basic it sounds to say "clinicians without experience with this population should seek out supervision/consultation from a clinician who is" and the practical realities of doing so. What would that supervision/consultation entail? I would clearly (ethically) need to inform the client that I don't have the necessary experience for their case and would be getting supervision. I guess, from the standpoint of what is best for that client, if I have access to supervision from a trained clinician, should I not refer them to that clinician (especially in this age of telehealth availability)? I could see the argument for increasing the capacity to serve this population if that were truly a goal, but you'd need to be really transparent about this with the client. I'd worry that, firstly, I would worry that I my lack of experience would a) put that client at risk; and b) put me at risk should something go wrong. Have any of you been involved in this type of scenario as a licensed practitioner, where you've taken on a client/issue that you don't have appropriate experience for under the supervision of another licensed professional? What risks are legally assumed by the supervisor? How do you document those risks? Why did you not refer the client to an appropriately experienced clinician? At what point (e.g., number of referrals of this type; lack of qualified providers in the community to refer to, etc.) would you make a decision that you need to expand you clinical skills to be better able to address this need?

Because of the age of my clientele (toddler-preschoolers), and despite fear-mongering about trying to "recruit" children to this "lifestyle," I am not likely to have to face this issue personally. I do encounter similar issues regarding language and culture with the families I work work with, and there are literally NO other available clinicians to do what I do (and accept their insurance) within a 75-mile radius, so I've had to get consultation from community members on the cultural aspects that I'm not aware of, as well as consult with an occasional clinician regarding clinical issues, but I don't see the risks to the client or myself being as significant.

Last edited:
Thanks. I am always struck by the dichotomy between how basic it sounds to say "clinicians without experience with this population should seek out supervision/consultation from a clinician who is" and the practical realities of doing so. What would that supervision/consultation entail? I would clearly (ethically) need to inform the client that I don't have the necessary experience for their case and would be getting supervision. I guess, from the standpoint of what is best for that client, if I have access to supervision from a trained clinician, should I not refer them to that clinician (especially in this age of telehealth availability)? I could see the argument for increasing the capacity to serve this population if that were truly a goal, but you'd need to be really transparent about this with the client. I'd worry that, firstly, I would worry that I my lack of experience would a) put that client at risk; and b) put me at risk should something go wrong. Have any of you been involved in this type of scenario as a licensed practitioner, where you've taken on a client/issue that you don't have appropriate experience for under the supervision of another licensed professional? What risks are legally assumed by the supervisor? How do you document those risks? Why did you not refer the client to an appropriately experienced clinician? At what point (e.g., number of referrals of this type; lack of qualified providers in the community to refer to, etc.) would you make a decision that you need to expand you clinical skills to be better able to address this need?

Because of the age of my clientele (toddler-preschoolers), and despite fear-mongering about trying to "recruit" children to this "lifestyle," I am not likely to have to face this issue personally. I do encounter similar issues regarding language and culture with the families I work work with, and there are literally NO other available clinicians to do what I do (and accept their insurance) within a 75-mile radius, so I've had to get consultation from community members on the cultural aspects that I'm not aware of, as well as consult with an occasional clinician regarding clinical issues, but I don't see the risks to the client or myself being as significant.
Dude, I struggle with this so much. It's like there is a real break down between (1) being aware of your competency enough to care about it's limits, (2) finding other psychologists who specialize in rarer things, (3) local availability, (4) accepting insurance, (5) and doing what's best for the patient.

When I started my current job, I was able to develop a weird little niche. Not sure if this story is useful, but we have cochlear implant clinic that has led me to specializing in assessing kids with a certain level of hearing loss. Few people will assess a Deaf kid for autism, but the word is out in the Deaf community that I will. Here's been kind of how it came to be:
  • During my undergrad, I took a course on the cognitive neuroscience of hearing that was a blended grad course. This was instrumental in me learning about phonemes and how they specialize through development, along with how things like cochlear implants work.
  • Both of my parents are in the field of speech pathology and my dad holds a phd in audiology and focuses on communication disorders after stroke, my mom was boots on the ground school-based speech pathologist.
  • During high school I failed spanish (conjugating verbs, man) because I got caught cheating (I had an IEP and would just get spanish speaking friends to take the test for me on the way to quiet testing room). So that summer, my mom had me take ASL classes at the local community college so I could graduate. This led me to doing it as my foreign language in college - which gave me a ton of experience and knowledge of Deaf culture, along with things like communication norms, etc. I cannot speak sign language for the life of me, btw, but I know how to get their attention or how certain classifiers are used when talking (E.g., if you mouth "cha" it underlines the sign for big), but that might look funny if you didn't know how the face and mouth are used in sign language.
  • I have read some of the studies about the ADOS-2 and how they adapt them for Deaf/HH individuals. When I give it, I use it more in a qualitative manner. I'll throw some nonverbal measure at them, as well.
  • In grad school, one of supervisors was the school psychologist (she is licensed), at the local school for the Deaf and blind. So I've called her a couple of times. She usually asks me, "does the kid have autism" and "are there any things like visual impairment too."
  • We have a speech path at my clinic who is Child of a Deaf Adult (CODA), and is very fluent in ASL, so I always pick her brain and introduce people to her.
  • There is a lack of local expertise and very few people who will take their medicaid insurance.
But, I've done probably about ten evals for autism in Deaf kids and but damn if each time, I worry about going beyond my competencies. But they're also pretty obviously autistic. What's also funny is that I also diagnose intellectual disability quite a bit in older Deaf populations, too. It's like people are afraid to call it, even though it's obvious on the CTONI and ABAS. But, it's also like one of the most humane things I do, because these Deaf kids are really struggling in school and some are even suicidal or depressed, and when you talk to them it's usually around school being way to too hard for them.

There is also a bit a of a sacrificial lamb aspect to it, too. Because the first few cases are not going to be your best work, but then as you get into it, you all the sudden develop this competency.

But at a certain point - you have a kid and their parents in your office, you don't have the expertise, but no one is taking their insurance. It's like "damn, I might be the best you get." Then I explain that to the families that "we are heading into uncharted territory together, and I think that inaction would do more harm than action." But, I always try to explain that stuff.

It does in that gender identity and sexual orientation are inherently linked to sex--for example, a law, say, barring transgender women from employment is placing only people whose sex was determined as male at birth (interestingly, there are actually a decent amount of people who are intersex/have disorders of sexual development where their condition isn't diagnosed until later in life) at risk for discrimination for engaging in "female" gender expressions, whereas the same gender expression would be a-okay in someone whose sex at birth was determined to be female. Similarly, an employer firing a female employee for dating another women is discriminating on the basis of sex because they wouldn't fire a man for dating a woman. By narrowly defining "sex" as biological sex assigned at birth, the courts made the law expansive enough to cover gender identity and sexual orientation.

Again, I think a lot of these anti-trans issues are based in the "guy in a dress"/"girl who dresses like a guy" stereotype, where the issue people have isn't so much trans people as it trans people who don't pass or cis people who gender nonconfirming. No one would look askance at Hunter Schaffer (a trans woman) entering a women's bathroom, for example, or Laith Ashley (a trans man) entering a men's locker room and if they were to enter spaces designated for their sex assigned at birth, the same people pushing for these anti-trans bills that would require them to do so would probably scream that they were entering the "wrong" rooms. What you overwhelmingly get with these bills is cisgender gender non-confirming people (a lot of butch women) and trans people who are early in their transition or who are otherwise clocked being attacked, because they don't fit into rigid sex stereotypes more than anything.

Sports are a bit hairier, because there are physical advantages to be pumped full of testosterone during male puberty, but the extent to which those advantages fade (or don't) with long-term T suppression and estrogen replacement is more of an open question for science, and it's also further complicated by the fact that elite athletes tend to have some biological traits on the far end of the curve regardless of if they are trans or not. Personally, I thought the NCAA's previous stance on athletes competing under their natal sex until they started HRT made sense--then it was a personal, informed choice for each athlete if they were willing and able to delay HRT to compete for longer or not.

We're conflating a lot of things under the category of "gender identity". I do not believe gender identity is not inherently linked to sex (biologically speaking). Of course it also matters how youre defining "gender identity". Sex is not determined at birth, it is observed and intersex and other exceedingly rare genetic mutations or abnormalities (not to be pejorative) does not negate this. To lump intersex individuals and people with sexual disorders and genetic disorders such as kleinfelters syndrome in with trans and gender identity is not correct in my estimation, I could be wrong. However, we also have an issue because *****s lack the capacity to understand that while sex is largely 99.9% (or close to it) either male or female there are outliers where mutations arise (scientifically speaking) and we must, living in the 21st century, move away from ignoring the struggles these individuals face simply because they're a very small number.

I disagree with you on the trans bill statement, respectfully speaking. I don't believe these are "anti-trans" issues nor "guy in a dress" stereotype. It is more so that there is a real threat of truly sick people using the compassion we both have for people to live in accordance with how they see fit that they will not think twice of using subjective self-identification of gender to gain access to women and children. We have seen before and are now seeing it with male criminals identifying as the opposite sex in order to avoid prison with a male population and then get placed with females where they then go on to sexual assault and impregnate female inmates. Most of whom already have a traumatic history of SA.

The issue really comes to the middle ground, how do we respect the rights of biological women and girls as well as people who are ACTUALLY trans. The other issue is how do we grapple with rapid onsent of gender dysphoria and the social contagen component? Trans is not new but is oddly SKYROCKETED in less than 10 years ( no I do not believe this is because of a new found acceptance). We also have to be careful because A LOT of people will take any opportunity to use research without even understanding it to say "see, trans doesnt exist!" and push their bigoted views.

One giant controversy, like you said, IS the issue of sports. Leah Thomas goes all through life without any signs of GD (to my knowledge) and after placing less than 30th as a male swimmer decides to identify as female and breaks every female record by at least 50 seconds and becomes number one in the nation? Thats wrong. It is also wrong to work to take away gender treatment from consenting ADULTS. There are bad actors on both sides that make it a minefield to navigate from pronouns usage being equated to violence to very conservative religious fundamentalists thinking being gay is the work of the devil and trans is worse.

There is a very hard issue here where the answer is not blanket acceptance in the name of compassion nor is the answer harsh bans. For example, were starting to see some research come out from the UK and Netherlands that suggest a rapid push to transition young people is not the best course of action as it actually worsens mental health with no clinically significant improvement. However, it is nearly impossible to do actual research in the U.S due to stigma and concerns over how the results will be used. This is an issue I fear has been far too politicized by activists AND actual anti-trans people that make it almost impossible to view the matter objectively in anyway.

.. It is more so that there is a real threat of truly sick people using the compassion we both have for people to live in accordance with how they see fit that they will not think twice of using subjective self-identification of gender to gain access to women and children...
You have appealed to my emotions. I certainly don't want sicko men attacking my women and children under the guise of being a a woman themselves! What, however, is the evidence that this is actually happening at alarming rates due to gender affirming care or that sickos would be less likely to commit such atrocities if we outlawed gender affirming care? I live in one of the most LGBT friendly areas of the world, and not only are there not high rates of such atrocities, there's not even low rates of such atrocities.

In an earnest effort to gain more information on this dangerous situation (as well as to keep the bit going) I did some research. It turns out that there IS a pretty significant relationship between transgender individuals and sexual/other assault in gender specific bathrooms. I will immediately be contacting my state and national elected officials to demand that they enact legislation to keep my non-binary family and friends from becoming one the approximately one third of such individuals who report being assaulted using the bathroom designated for their gender as assigned at birth rather than the one they identify with currently.

The data is even scarier! It turns out that sicko sexual deviants are masquerading in many of our respected institutions where rates of sexual assault are even higher than the statistically-equal-to-zero rates we see from men masquerading as women. I will also be requesting that my officials propose legislation to outlaw relatives baby sitting, youth sports (especially gymnastics and swimming), the catholic church, and the practice of adult outpatient psychology. Please let me know if I missed something- you can't be too careful!

ETA- I have also seen some of my fellow concerned citizens shooting or running over cases of Bud Light. I can only assume that they have seen the literature on the relationship between alcohol consumption and sexual assault and are taking it in their own hands to do something about it.

Last edited:
We're conflating a lot of things under the category of "gender identity". I do not believe gender identity is not inherently linked to sex (biologically speaking). Of course it also matters how youre defining "gender identity". Sex is not determined at birth, it is observed and intersex and other exceedingly rare genetic mutations or abnormalities (not to be pejorative) does not negate this. To lump intersex individuals and people with sexual disorders and genetic disorders such as kleinfelters syndrome in with trans and gender identity is not correct in my estimation, I could be wrong. However, we also have an issue because *****s lack the capacity to understand that while sex is largely 99.9% (or close to it) either male or female there are outliers where mutations arise (scientifically speaking) and we must, living in the 21st century, move away from ignoring the struggles these individuals face simply because they're a very small number.

I disagree with you on the trans bill statement, respectfully speaking. I don't believe these are "anti-trans" issues nor "guy in a dress" stereotype. It is more so that there is a real threat of truly sick people using the compassion we both have for people to live in accordance with how they see fit that they will not think twice of using subjective self-identification of gender to gain access to women and children. We have seen before and are now seeing it with male criminals identifying as the opposite sex in order to avoid prison with a male population and then get placed with females where they then go on to sexual assault and impregnate female inmates. Most of whom already have a traumatic history of SA.

The issue really comes to the middle ground, how do we respect the rights of biological women and girls as well as people who are ACTUALLY trans. The other issue is how do we grapple with rapid onsent of gender dysphoria and the social contagen component? Trans is not new but is oddly SKYROCKETED in less than 10 years ( no I do not believe this is because of a new found acceptance). We also have to be careful because A LOT of people will take any opportunity to use research without even understanding it to say "see, trans doesnt exist!" and push their bigoted views.

One giant controversy, like you said, IS the issue of sports. Leah Thomas goes all through life without any signs of GD (to my knowledge) and after placing less than 30th as a male swimmer decides to identify as female and breaks every female record by at least 50 seconds and becomes number one in the nation? Thats wrong. It is also wrong to work to take away gender treatment from consenting ADULTS. There are bad actors on both sides that make it a minefield to navigate from pronouns usage being equated to violence to very conservative religious fundamentalists thinking being gay is the work of the devil and trans is worse.

There is a very hard issue here where the answer is not blanket acceptance in the name of compassion nor is the answer harsh bans. For example, were starting to see some research come out from the UK and Netherlands that suggest a rapid push to transition young people is not the best course of action as it actually worsens mental health with no clinically significant improvement. However, it is nearly impossible to do actual research in the U.S due to stigma and concerns over how the results will be used. This is an issue I fear has been far too politicized by activists AND actual anti-trans people that make it almost impossible to view the matter objectively in anyway.
Intersex people are not the same as trans people, of course, and I never said that. The point is simply that how you identify "real" sex can be much blurrier than anti-trans folk admit. For example, they often say "it comes down to chromosomes", but if you have someone with androgen insensitivity syndrome, they have XY chromosomes but their genitalia at birth appears female, so are they "really" male or female? Would you go by external appearance? Identity? If so, why wouldn't you go by external apperance for a trans man or trans woman who appears to be male or female? No one is going to look at Hunter Schaffer and say "that's a man" or Laith Ashley and say "that's a woman" and if people were to see Laith Ashley in a women's bathroom, they would probably think "a man is using the women's bathroom!" not "yeah, that's a woman using the 'correct' bathroom." So, how "passable"/gender conforming do you have to be to be "really" male or female? I have a butch cisgender female friend who was sometimes mistaken for male during COVID due to masks and having smaller breasts. Should she have been using the men's bathroom because people might have mistaken her as a "male predator" in the women's bathroom? Again, what we've largely seen with bathroom bills in action is gender non-conforming cis people being attacked for following the law, which raises the question of where should they go to the bathroom? Should they even leave the house if they might be mistaken as trans?

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of the term gender. I think it's nebulous, and appears to function much like a soul/id/ego/superego. I do like the term gender expression. If gender hints at an inborn feeling - how does feeling male or female feel?

Edit: I will make a long term prediction - the term gender will be looked at similarly to how we view id/ego/superego currently. It won't be the only way to analyze behavior once the science catches up.

... Should they even leave the house if they might be mistaken as trans?
I think a lot of folks would privately argue "no", but publicly throw out some bogeyman arguments about dangerousness, uncertainty, extreme examples, etc. You hit the nail on the head a few posts back- it's an issues of gender non-conformity for many, rather that transgender. If you look the way a woman is "supposed" to look or the way an man is "supposed" to look it's not that big an issue.

I do get it, though. If, like me, you were raised in a different time or place, it may have been unusual to encounter gender non-comformity. It may look different than you are used too, it may lead to your kids asking questions that you cannot readily answer. Things that are different are often somewhat uncomfortable or a bit scary- that's a pretty natural human reaction. It is problematic that admitting to these human reactions can lead to undue censure or persecution, rather than education. It should be ok for people to come out and admit that "it just makes me uncomfortable" as long as they follow-up with "can you help me be more comfortable about it," rather than just "can you make it go away."

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of the term gender. I think it's nebulous, and appears to function much like a soul/id/ego/superego. I do like the term gender expression. If gender hints at an inborn feeling - how does feeling male or female feel?

Edit: I will make a long term prediction - the term gender will be looked at similarly to how we view id/ego/superego currently. It won't be the only way to analyze behavior once the science catches up.

Largely irrelevant and tenuously supported by empirical evidence?

Largely irrelevant and tenuously supported by empirical evidence?
Well, I think it's just sorta will be an iteration about how we talk about certain things. I suspect that it'll get replaced with terms that have more precision.

What blows my mind is how, outside of grammatical gender, that the term really wasn't used before the 1950's. And when it was introduced, it was meant as a way to discuss the socially constructed behavioral aspects of sex.

I suspect there will more and more post gender perspectives coming about, as sex is immutable except for the rarest of edge cases, the notion of conflict between one's personal sense of their own gender and their sex, seems illogical to me. The majority of DSM criteria focus on how one is treated by others or appearance, making it a weird disorder in the DSM as symptoms face outwards and a focus on the behaviors of others.

That seems pretty socially constructed to me.

Sex continues to be a pretty good predictor of many behaviors, whereas gender does not. Recognizing sex is important for policy decisions, gender, less so.

"Fifty-three percent of the mothers of boys with GID compared with only 6% of controls met the diagnosis for Borderline Personality Disorder"

From the article, re: the interviews from which the BPD diagnoses were made: "The interviews in this study were not blind and were conducted by the first author." That's HUGE threat to internal validity. Furthermore, history of psychiatric treatment referral was an exclusion criteria for boys in the control group (ETA- I just reread article and noticed that there were no such exclusion criteria for GID proband!) Another big threat to internal validity. N of 16 for mothers of boys with GID, sequentially self--referred to author's clinical practice. Non-parametric analysis. Authors themselves refer to this as a pilot study. I'd be really cautious drawing any conclusions from this study. Non-blind diagnostic interviews and potentially innappropriate control group are BIG problems and may not pass muster for a thesis/dissertation in my experience.

Last edited:
From the article, re: the interviews from which the BPD diagnoses were made: "The interviews in this study were not blind and were conducted by the first author." That's HUGE threat to internal validity. Furthermore, history of psychiatric treatment referral was an exclusion criteria for boys in the control group (ETA- I just reread article and noticed that there were no such exclusion criteria for GID proband!) Another big threat to internal validity. N of 16 for mothers of boys with GID, sequentially self--referred to author's clinical practice. Non-parametric analysis. Authors themselves refer to this as a pilot study. I'd be really cautious drawing any conclusions from this study. Non-blind diagnostic interviews and potentially innappropriate control group are BIG problems and may not pass muster for a thesis/dissertation in my experience.
now try steelmanning the ariticle