This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BU vs Alpert (Brown) vs Einstein

• BU

Votes: 31 31.6%
  • Alpert (Brown)

Votes: 43 43.9%
  • Einstein

Votes: 24 24.5%

• Total voters

traveler6

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I'm very lucky to have been accepted at these three great schools and I can't seem to make up my mind. Any advice would be much appreciated! I'm currently a senior at BU, grew up in NYC (originally from Brooklyn!), and have a number of scattered interests including biomedical research, public health, and emergency medicine.

Having been in Boston for the past 4 years I feel very comfortable here and all my friends (some are students at BUSM) and a few professional connections (at BUSM and around Boston) are here too. Boston is a really great city to live in as a student, has decent public transportation, and has all the other amenities a big city can offer! I really like BUSM because of the strong research (they went up in the US news ranking recently!), great public health school, and reputation for emergency medicine. I also thought the faculty were really passionate and supportive. Being affiliated with an undergrad institution is also a plus for me personally. BU is probably my most expensive option (although not by much), and I have started feeling like Boston was getting a little too familiar and safe for me. I would enjoy moving elsewhere, but going either back home where I grew up or to a city as small as Providence might not be the fix I'm looking for.

When I went to my interview day at AMS I was blown away. The faculty were incredibly friendly and engaging, and I clicked with many of the students there. I could tell that the community was really close knit and that the faculty really took care of the students. The new facilities they have were so nice! The school has been described by multiple people as "touchy feely" and it seems to me like they are best known for social medicine as opposed to biomedical research (although they are ranked pretty highly in research!) I know their emergency medicine program is also pretty strong, and they have their own school of public health. The school is pretty new, though, and I'm not sure how important it is to get public health training at a more reputable institution. My student interviewer told me that he's taking a year off to do the MPH program at Harvard rather than at Brown. Their match list is also the strongest overall in my opinion. And of the three it's the only one that offers an elective rotation in the third year (how important is this??) What worries me about going to AMS is that I would be separating myself from my friends and family and I'd have to "start over" building a social support system.

Having also lived in New York my whole life before coming to Boston, I already have a strong affinity for the NYC culture and have a strong support network (my entire family) and several professional connections. I see myself having a career here, and looking at Einstein's match list I could tell they place REALLY well in NY hospitals. Einstein is great because it also has a strong background in research and is probably my cheapest option (lowest base tuition plus 4 years of cheap on campus housing is soooo nice!) I've also heard stories of students having a really easy time getting funding for global health trips and research projects! And although Einstein doesn't have a school of public health or even offer an MPH, I imagine it would be easy to tap into the resources at other institutions in the area such as Columbia (can someone confirm this please?) One thing I'm concerned about with Einstein is that when I visited I did not get the feel that the advising was particularly strong. Maybe it was because they did not have a formal info session, but I didn't actually get to meet any faculty members besides my interviewer. And they don't have a second look day.

Sorry for the rant. Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I was accepted to BU and Brown. In the medical world (heard from the mouths of many Harvard physicians, so admittedly anecdotal), BU>>Brown in terms of hospital rep and physician training. There is no real distinguishable difference between match lists. BU has the edge in research IMO (i.e. ranking), plus all of the opportunities that Boston affords. Ultimately, go where you felt the best (and pick one to go back to for second look! I know BU and brown are on basically the same day :/...), and if money is a factor where you get the best deal. I am still choosing between Brown, BU and a few other schools, but am leaning BU because of the above reasons. Good luck deciding! :)

FWIW Einstein also has an excellent EM department... you see literally everything in the emergency department at Montefiore.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the input so far. Can someone who voted for Alpert please explain your reasoning? Or can anyone else comment on their pick?

Last edited:
I really don't know much about Einstein and BU TBH, but what I really loved about Alpert during my interview was that their curriculum is innovative and very accommodating to students' needs (which is very refreshing). For example, exams are held on Fridays which means you have free weekends, plus they cancel classes on Weds-Thrs so that you can still study two full days for exams. I know this seems rather small, but its medical school, and you will really appreciate the opportunity to spend that extra time visiting family or going to the clinics to fit in more hands-on experience. Maybe that's why the students seem so happy =P.

As far as the curriculum, you aren't restricted to books and lectures for the first two years. You get hands on clinical experience from the very beginning, and this is a very big advantage over other schools that are still doing things the old/traditional way.

Also, Alpert has a very strong global health initiative, which for me was a huge plus (and might be for you as well if you're interested in public health).

In terms of location, providence may not be as "fun" as Boston, but there are also advantages to being at Brown in that it is the only medical school in all of Rhode Island, as opposed to 3 medical schools in Boston (you might be more appreciated as a med student in RI and have plenty of opportunities to find your niche).

Disclaimer: I'm really biased because I'm obviously choosing to go to Alpert this fall haha!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I really loved about Alpert during my interview was that their curriculum is innovative and very accommodating to students' needs (which is very refreshing). For example, exams are held on Fridays which means you have free weekends, plus they cancel classes on Weds-Thrs so that you can still study two full days for exams. I know this seems rather small, but its medical school, and you will really appreciate the opportunity to spend that extra time visiting family or going to the clinics to fit in more hands-on experience. Maybe that's why the students seem so happy =P.

This was the exact same feeling that I got! I visited both BU and Alpert and I felt that the BU students were very stressed with work.