Books for Hematology & Oncology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Old Fellow

Reaction score
Hello,

Which textbooks are the most useful for a new fellow?
What atlas of hematology would you recommend?

Thanks
Old Fellow

Members don't see this ad.

UpToDate
NCCN Guidelines
Cancer Therapy Advisor - This used to be a lot better but it's still pretty helpful despite the fairly spammy nature of the site now.
Google "Blood how i treat 'insert hematologic disease here'"
Whatever heme atlas is lying around in the fellows office.

Textbooks are great if you don't have time to go to the gym and you need to lift in clinic. Otherwise they're a waste of paper.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Agree that NCCN and UTD will be your primary day to day resources. ASH SAP and ASCO SEP are provided to fellows in my program and I would assume most programs. That should be plenty for the new fellow.

I had leftover book/travel money at the end of my first year - I bought Williams Heme and the MD Anderson Manual, both look quite nice on the shelf where they live...

About 3-4 times per year we get a catalog of books that a drug company is happy to provide to us. Those look nice on my shelf as well.

How are textbook publishers surviving if nobody is reading them? And how do they sustain themselves to keep releasing newer editions? Are there people who read textbooks? They do provide information in a nice, readable manner, and I am someone who grew up reading textbooks since time immemorial.

I have a soft spot for textbooks as well.
A lot of institutions will buy licenses to them via ClinicalKey or some similar online database, and anyone with eLibrary access can be able to read them.
I prefer Kindle.
I've been eyeing the new Devita oncology textbook but too cheap to pay the 265 bucks for it.
I wish boyiadzsis would update their friggin textbook, the cookbook is getting out of date.

That said, most fellows do not need textbooks between ASCO SEP and ASH SAP, which are as good as any textbook. Pocket Onc is a nice road map, not meant for deep understanding of a topic, but allows you to get a 30,000 foot view of most of the diseases you'll see.

Reactions: 1 user
I have a soft spot for textbooks as well.
A lot of institutions will buy licenses to them via ClinicalKey or some similar online database, and anyone with eLibrary access can be able to read them.
I prefer Kindle.
I've been eyeing the new Devita oncology textbook but too cheap to pay the 265 bucks for it.
I wish boyiadzsis would update their friggin textbook, the cookbook is getting out of date.

That said, most fellows do not need textbooks between ASCO SEP and ASH SAP, which are as good as any textbook. Pocket Onc is a nice road map, not meant for deep understanding of a topic, but allows you to get a 30,000 foot view of most of the diseases you'll see.

Thank you! Yes, trainees in most specialties these days just use UpToDate, papers and board review material, but what I wonder is if these resources provide a comprehensive, holistic approach to the subject. Reading UpToDate and papers do help but don't they fill in knowledge gaps in a fragmented manner? Also, do board review textbooks really discuss in detail about the fundamentals of the science, such as the biology and pathophysiology? I've noticed that most comprehensive textbooks adopt a very structured approach to the subject, starting with the very basics including the biological basis of the subject, which I feel is critical to having a good grasp (and a better overall view) of the subject. Knowing the latest guidelines is wonderful and absolutely essential, but so is knowing the fundamentals of the subject, don't you think?

Reactions: 1 user