Book by Surgery Chief Resident: Top 10 Tips for Crushing Your Personal Statement for US Allopathic and Osteopathic Medical School Applications

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BetterTomorrow

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a current chief resident in General Surgery in a NYC hospital. I graduated Magna Cum Laude with a bachelor’s degree in Microbiology from a top 40 college, in Physiology from Georgetown University, and obtained my MD degree from a top 50 medical school. As of 2020, I have 13 publications in affluent peer-reviewed journals and 6 accepted abstracts and posters for national surgical conferences.

I have personally been through the admissions process multiple times and have an insider view on admissions committees from helping evaluate candidates for medical school and residency. I will be going through the application process again in applying for surgical subspecialty fellowship.

I started my journey in editing and revising medical school applications in 2013. In medical school, based on my score, I was offered by my dean to teach the Examkrackers MCAT course. As a part of the course, I edited many personal statements that have helped students gain admission to medical school. Prior to this, I edited personal statements for college applications that helped students obtain admission to Ivy Leagues. More recently, I have been hired by many medical students for help with their ERAS residency applications. I am currently in the process of formally establishing my medical revision services as a small family-owned business.

Outside of academics, I am an aficionado of cars and enjoy performing mechanical and software modifications on my personal project car. I hope to one day have it ready for the track. I also build computers for recreational purposes and cryptocurrency speculation. I enjoy playing racquetball, running in Central Park, sporting clays, Broadway shows, and spending time with family and friends in my hometown of NYC.

In addition to my revision services in a separate thread (SDN link to revision services), I recently published a book discussing high-yield tips on writing a successful personal statement.

Besides this guide, I encourage everyone to invest in a specialized revision service for your application. Whether you choose my services or someone else's I cannot stress enough that you need someone who has been through the crucible of the medical school application process, someone who has personally filled out an AMCAS application, filled 20+ subsequent secondary applications, and written letters of intent after a long and gruesome interview season. The personal statement is your chance to shine. A superb essay can make or break your application by influencing the admissions committee to overlook a borderline GPA or MCAT score. The application process, including interviews, is already an extremely expensive venture, so this small investment in comparison to obtain help with revision of your essay and application is a small price to pay for a potentially very rich return on investment.

The cost for my book is $8.99. And if you choose to purchase my revision/editing services, the price of the book is deductible.

Here is the link:

Amazon book: Top 10 Tips for Crushing Your Personal Statement for US Allopathic and Osteopathic Medical School Applications

Please feel free to contact me anytime via direct message or my email btimur.surgery@gmail.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited: