Bodybuilding during residency and beyond?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

invitro

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, so I'm a CA-1 (almost CA-2...:thumbup:) that really likes working out.

One of my goals is to become a NPC bodybuilder once I am out in practice.

I have found at my program it is not hard to eat ~4-5x/day. I work it so that I eat before I come in (5:45am), then on my morning break for 10min, then lunch for 20 min, then on my afternoon break for 10 min, then dinner around 6 or 7.

Quick snacks like turkey/chicken/steak pieces /veggies which are easy to chow down are what I eat on my quick breaks.

I am able to work out 2-3x/week without difficulty, as my call schedule is 5x/month at its worst.

Is it easier out in private practice? I want to work hard (like 60-70hr/week) and would like to take call once a week. I am interested in peds. A lot of the children's hospitals are offering nice packages for peds fellows (like 250-300k+) with benefits. The hours appear to be in the range I stated above.

Have any of you attgs done this? Jet I know you are serious into working out, but have you ever competed?

There was a bodybuilder/anesthesiologist in the past who did exactly what I wanted to do....peter fong....but apparently he got busted for drug use a while back, and went into obscurity. Obviously, the drug bust thing is not what I want to happen.

Not exactly related to anesthesiology, but I figured, what the heck.

Finally, I have a LOOONG way to go. I want to compete as a middleweight, right now I'm 5'7", 168 at about 10% BF. Would like to COMPETE at 190 to 200 lbs one day.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I admire your motivation.

As far as the diet is concerned, you can do it!

I did. For about ten years I ate like a professional bodybuilder.....that time frame included my residency days....so I know it can be done.

I did a cuppla shows in Florida in the early nineties. I was more attracted to the discipline of the lifestyle and less attracted to the shows....plus, don't know if you've been to the NPCs yet...I was in Dallas in 1996 when Jay Cutler won the NPC and earned his procard....

You've gotta be a freak to win at that level, Dude....not justa big dude....not justa cut dude...but a FREAK...which requires alotta discipline, alotta hard work, and alotta....uhhhhhh.......pharmacologic enhancement.

Getting to the gym and watching your diet is a lifestyle.

Something that can be done no matter where you are in your career....if you so-choose to prioritize it.

Good luck with your aspirations!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Nothing to admire jet, just something that I really like doing.

Why don't you try for the master competitions...I bet you could make some headway.

There is a plastic surgeon by the name of rick silverman....www.ricksilverman.com. Dude is big, but you could take him...

For me I just want to do some damage on the middleweight circuit in the future...like kelly bautista. Dude is also in the medical field, but I think he is a med/surg or ER nurse at kaiser permanente in CA.

Members don't see this ad :)
how are u gonna body build competitively when u hit the gym 2-3x a week?

y2janitor said:
how are u gonna body build competitively when u hit the gym 2-3x a week?

Heavy Duty?

MikeSerious.jpg

J/K

I thought I might one day do competitive bodybuilding until I saw:

KimChizevsky1.jpg

...working out at my gym in Springfield MO. I realized I lacked the genetics, motivation, and pharmacological aids to even come close to the top female bodybuilder of the day, which meant I had zero chance against any of the male pro's.

It's hard, but you can do it.

Mike mentzer used to train 2-3x a week in his prime.

More recently mark dugsdale, a top level competitor has moved his scheduled down to 3-4x/week.

it's doable, but hard.

Not sure how much exposure you've had to the NPC world but you do know that to make it past a local city contest you will have to take some hardcore pharmaceutical supplements plus GH and diuretics come contest time right? The NPC/IFBB standards are climbing to ridiculous levels of hardness and size with athlete taking unprecedented amounts of gear. I have friends that competed in state/national levels in NPC and a few friends in the IFBB as pros and the amount of stuff they take along with their stories of what their competitors take is just scary. I don't want to sound discouraging but you might want to think hard about what level you want to take your bodybuilding vs preserving your health...have you thought about maybe doing a natural contest with the WNBF? Anyways if you already knew all of the info above then please disregard my post. I just want to make sure you are aware of the real lifestyle behind these athletes.

Nothing to admire jet, just something that I really like doing.

Why don't you try for the master competitions...I bet you could make some headway.

There is a plastic surgeon by the name of rick silverman....www.ricksilverman.com. Dude is big, but you could take him...

For me I just want to do some damage on the middleweight circuit in the future...like kelly bautista. Dude is also in the medical field, but I think he is a med/surg or ER nurse at kaiser permanente in CA.

Just hook yourself up to the nerve stim during the case, crank it up, and FEEL THE BURN.

Seriously, I'm sure it would take a Herculanean effort to pull off, but with the right motivation it could be done. Best of luck with it.

Yeah, I'm aware of the pharmaceuticals, but I think a lot of what is perpetuated is exaggerated.

You can make pretty good gains with a good clean diet (large amounts of protein), creatinine, and glutamine.

Most of the guys I have talked to in the NPC middleweight classes don't use much outside of a few cycles with AAS here and there and the above supplements. NO diuretics, NO HGH.

I won't use AAS because it is too much of a risk to my career now. But who knows? Maybe in the next 15-20 years AAS will stop being a schedule III substance. Fact: did you know the AMA actually OPPOSED anabolic steroids being placed in the same category as other controlled substances...food for thought.

I would have posted this on the ortho forum first :)

And if you want to do NPC the sauce is just a way of life, granted you dont have to do 10mg test/wk.

I would have posted this on the ortho forum first :)

And if you want to do NPC the sauce is just a way of life, granted you dont have to do 10mg test/wk.

More like:

test cypionate 400mg IM/week
deca 400mg IM/ week
winstrol V 50mg IM every three days
anadrol 50 1 PO QOD
GH 2 IU SQ QOD

......some of the dudes are doing twice the above. :eek:

Yo
I lift 5-6x/wk
I Eat 4-6 meals/day w/high protein.
I've gained 30 lbs this year (20 of which I lost intern yr 2/2 missing above).
I'm the heaviest (not most cut) I've ever been w/o being fat.
2 cats in my class look like white and black versions of the HULK.

It can be done.
:luck:

Haha.....I was waiting for someone in the know to post how it really is. Props to jet for always being up front:)Probably up to 1000mg IM/week of test for local shows (+the rest of your list), up to 2000mg+ IM/week for state and national level shows (+the rest of your list). IFBB pros take even more than mentioned. A friend of mine who is a female top 3 finisher in the NPC nationals was taking about 800mg-1000mg/week. Haven't even mentioned the use of synthol to stay competitive yet.

And in response to invitro's view that things are exaggerated...it is not. If anything ppl are taking more than ever because of the growing amount of money pro bodybuilders can make and the new standards set by the higher echelon of the sport; people are taking more risks than ever to get that elusive pro card and stay on top. Notice all these guys having kidney transplants and organ failures (Flex Wheeler, Tom Prince, Kris Dim etc). You can make great gains by eating well w/ glutamine etc but the challenge is keeping your size while getting ripped when you diet down. There is no way you can achieve that full, crisp hard look without the serious pharma help. There is a reason why the natural competitors look like they came out of a concentration camp compared to the NPC guys. Props to you for wanting to go for it though...it will definitely be a tough challenge with residency. But like you said in an earlier post it is doable...a few years back an EM Doc won an NPC state show at lightheavyweights.

More like:

deca 400mg IM/ week
anadrol 50 1 PO QOD
GH 2 IU SQ QOD

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)

I havent followed BB seriously for a year or two but please tell me this stuff hasn't made its way into everyones delts/bis... I honestly have no problem with people taking equine size doses of anabolics, because you still have to bust your ass in the gym/kitchen. Synthol on the other hand doesn't and 99%of the time looks like utter ****. It ruins people's lines. I hated Gregg Valentino for his look, but he seemed like he had a chill personality, he kept it real.

I hated Gregg Valentino for his look, but he seemed like he had a chill personality, he kept it real.

His old column was painful to look at which is one of the reasons I quit buying the magazine.

If I wanted to see that much crazy on a continual basis, I would still be married to my first wife.

Quick snacks like turkey/chicken/steak pieces /veggies which are easy to chow down are what I eat on my quick breaks.

I am able to work out 2-3x/week without difficulty, as my call schedule is 5x/month at its worst.

Is it easier out in private practice? I want to work hard (like 60-70hr/week) and would like to take call once a week. I am interested in peds. A lot of the children's hospitals are offering nice packages for peds fellows (like 250-300k+) with benefits. The hours appear to be in the range I stated above.

Have any of you attgs done this?

What I used to do during residency, 2 protein shakes stored in the call room/department fridge and granola bars in my pockets. High protein breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Make sure you get some sleep for recovery.

I used to nap a little after work each day to recharge a bit, go to the gym late (need a 24 hour gym) when I would have the whole place to myself, post-workout shake, shower, bed.

Yeah, I'm aware of the pharmaceuticals, but I think a lot of what is perpetuated is exaggerated.

You can make pretty good gains with a good clean diet (large amounts of protein), creatinine, and glutamine.

A little off topic, but since we're physicians here, what does everybody think about the effectiveness of Glutamine?

Waste of money?

Disciple-

I used glutamine for some time now. I find it reduces muscle soreness so that I can hit the weights harder the next time I go to the gym. I remember glutamine being used in the ICU for debilitated patients...something to do with improved mortality/morbity in patients needing parenteral nutrition/better absorption of nutrients from the gut.

Anyway it works for me.

How long have you been training? Are you planning to compete soon?

BTW about those dosages....

I think dudes use way too much these days. I mean look at the guys in the early 80's/70's. Mentzer, columbu, viator, de mey, strydom, gaspari...these dudes weren't using that much, and they looked awesome.

My favorite bodybuilder from that time was lee labrada, 5'5'' 150-160lb, ripped to shreds, but no GH gut, plus he was a engineer (unlike the majority of pro bb who don't do much outside of lift and eat)....MASS with CLASS baby!

Last edited:
Disciple-

I used glutamine for some time now. I find it reduces muscle soreness so that I can hit the weights harder the next time I go to the gym. I remember glutamine being used in the ICU for debilitated patients...something to do with improved mortality/morbity in patients needing parenteral nutrition/better absorption of nutrients from the gut.

Anyway it works for me.

BTW about those dosages....

I think dudes use way too much these days. I mean look at the guys in the early 80's/70's. Mentzer, columbu, viator, de mey, strydom, gaspari...these dudes weren't using that much, and they looked awesome.

My favorite bodybuilder from that time was lee labrada, 5'5'' 150-160lb, ripped to shreds, but no GH gut, plus he was a engineer (unlike the majority of pro bb who don't do much outside of lift and eat)....MASS with CLASS baby!

SouthsideSteve: Synthol has been used frequently since mid-late 90's (when it was marketed as "pump and pose" oil) and has never really stopped. Most guys in shows use them conservatively (unlike someone like Valentino who made it ridiculously obvious), although guys like Ernie Taylor and Kris Dim seem to have more obvious synthol tris. I have heard stories about Flex Wheeler using multiple shots on his back to enhance his back muscle bellies and his calves.

I agree with invitro about Glutamine as I have also found the same benefits when I used to lift hardcore.

I also agree with you that ppl are using far too much these days. Guys are just getting way too big now, with their swelling mass obscuring their muscle separation and lines, along with bloaty GH waistlines. I think it will be good for bodybuilding when they roll out the 200lb division for the Mr. Olympia this year. I wish bodybuilding can get back to the 1980's and early 1990's look. One of my favorite guys of all time is probably Shawn Ray...he never compromised symmetry or conditioning for pure size even when everyone else was playing the size game ever since the coming of Dorian Yates. Too bad he is such a cocky ***** in real life.

Here's a treat for you guys: Shawn Ray when he looked his hardest and best in 1994. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUZx5oijTyo

I'm loving this thread. These guys are getting ridiculous though these days. I'm pretty sure you need a DSM diagnosable disorder to be a top IFBB pro.

I'm loving this thread. These guys are getting ridiculous though these days. I'm pretty sure you need a DSM diagnosable disorder to be a top IFBB pro.

Yeah, I cant help but think the dudes that get freakishly massive on enough roids to supply a whole herd of cattle must have some sort of body dismorphic disorder.....It's one thing to lift to look good, but when you have to grease your thighs because they rub, or you look like

In my opinion, these two peeps have the exact same problem:

anorexic.jpg

hzfsz0cewo2cbb32don2.jpg

(I dunno if this pic is even real, but you get the idea)

That guy looks like he has a myostatin mutation. I can't say I find the body builder physique that desirable:scared:

How I know anesthesia is right for me: my second thought looking at that pic (right after "Got 'roids?") was "I could get a bunch of 14 gauges into that dude's forearms."

SOOO, LETS ADD 2,000 MG/WEEK OF ANABOLICS TO THIS NON-ANABOLICALLY ENHANCED FRAME.

FOR TWELVE MONTHS STRAIGHT.

A YEAR FROM NOW, INSTEAD OF WEIGHING 217, I'D BE 250!! :laugh:

WHATCHA THINK, DUDES??? AT 43 (UHHH.....SORRY...I'D BE 44 SINCE I'D NEED A SOLID YEAR OF GEAR TO GET READY), SHOULD I GIVE THE MASTERS OLYMPIA A RUN FOR HIS MONEY???? OR SHOULD I CONTINUE THIS ANESTHESIA GIG? (LOL)

....."AND.....IN 73RD PLACE HERE AT THE 2009 MASTERS MISTER OLYMPIA.......JET PROP PILOT!!!!!!!!!!!!"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Last edited:
Ictal Smile,

Everyone's thighs rub together for a few days after leg day, so greasing them up isn't that big of a deal.

AMIRITE?

Seriously, it happens to me and does indeed suck...and I'm not that big - 5'9" 225.

Ictal Smile,

Everyone's thighs rub together for a few days after leg day, so greasing them up isn't that big of a deal.

AMIRITE?

Seriously, it happens to me and does indeed suck...and I'm not that big - 5'9" 225.

UHHHHH, DUDE, IF YOUR BODYFAT % IS LOW, AND YOU REALLY ARE 5'9 225,

YOU HAVE JOINED THE GROUP OF GENETIC FREAKS. :thumbup::thumbup:

JPP- If you don't manage to hook any reds out there and you run out of food on the boat, you can always eat your skinny friend. Gotta keep up the protein intake if you wanna be the next Jay Cutler.

JPP- If you don't manage to hook any reds out there and you run out of food on the boat, you can always eat your skinny friend. Gotta keep up the protein intake if you wanna be the next Jay Cutler.
:laugh:

Thats Scott B. MD.

Wanna my partners.

Super smart dude and one helluva anesthesiologist.

Owns a Blackjack center console.

This picture shows us trout/redfish-hunting on my Robalo.

He's a much better fisherman than I around these parts......

I gladly act as his apprentice when it comes to fishing the Louisiana marshes. :thumbup:

Last edited:
Yeah, I cant help but think the dudes that get freakishly massive on enough roids to supply a whole herd of cattle must have some sort of body dismorphic disorder.....It's one thing to lift to look good, but when you have to grease your thighs because they rub, or you look like

In my opinion, these two peeps have the exact same problem:

anorexic.jpg

hzfsz0cewo2cbb32don2.jpg

(I dunno if this pic is even real, but you get the idea)

That dude's physique is photoedited.

The chick's is not....but she really needs a Quarterpounder. With cheese. Every day. For a year.

Last edited:
More like:

deca 400mg IM/ week
anadrol 50 1 PO QOD
GH 2 IU SQ QOD

Jet, do you know the rationale behind these drugs? what each does specifically and why the combo?

UHHHHH, DUDE, IF YOUR BODYFAT % IS LOW, AND YOU REALLY ARE 5'9 225,

YOU HAVE JOINED THE GROUP OF GENETIC FREAKS. :thumbup::thumbup:

Well...uh...the combination of fatherhood and discovering good beer has put my BF up in the 18-22% range. To get my [relative] BF percentage down around 10%, I would probably end up losing about 40 pounds [mixed weight] and have to give up good beer.

It's not worth it, despite what my wife says.

My hero has always been Ken Waller because I am built somewhat like him, have red hair and freckles too, and suffered through many different tanning strategies (that he must of faced )back when I thought I could be a bodybuilder:

waller.jpg

Disciple-

Anyway it works for me.

:laugh:

Like many others, everything went to hell after marriage and residency. I'm planning on getting back into it though.

Agree about the steroids and getting too big (can't believe Ronny Coleman isn't dead yet). I've always wondered if the high number of pro-wrestling deaths were from pro-wrestlers not knowing how to manage their cycles like pro-bodybuilders do.

Creatine is about as far as I'll go with supplements. I've found that the best use for it in my situation is to keep myself from completely deflating and getting weak when dieting down. Another thing I do which I have no idea if it actually works or not is to take ALA with the creatine for better absorption.

It has been almost been 8 years now. Id love to know what happened to the guys who were discussing above.
Is anyone still out there to discuss. Ive got few questions about residency and weight lifting lifestyle, tips and advices.

Basically, a PGY1/R1 here (Ortho) wanting to speak to some attendings/Residents on how they are doing it.

I basically failed medical school, gained weight (105 kgs), was taking anti depressants and antianxiety meds.
Fought my way through, currently 78kg, had to do a million things to get into ortho. And who was by my side? No ****ing person except gym and workouts.
Love this lifestyle and wanting to move forward but finding it hard to progress. Anyone out there for advice?

It has been almost been 8 years now. Id love to know what happened to the guys who were discussing above.
Is anyone still out there to discuss. Ive got few questions about residency and weight lifting lifestyle, tips and advices.

Basically, a PGY1/R1 here (Ortho) wanting to speak to some attendings/Residents on how they are doing it.

I basically failed medical school, gained weight (105 kgs), was taking anti depressants and antianxiety meds.
Fought my way through, currently 78kg, had to do a million things to get into ortho. And who was by my side? No ****ing person except gym and workouts.
Love this lifestyle and wanting to move forward but finding it hard to progress. Anyone out there for advice?

Yeah, I miss some of these discussions and for sure the professional input from JetPropPilot. Anyone here from him lately??? Miss that dude.

OrthoBod, as has been stated, you'll really need to be "prepared" to do some epic drugs to compete in bodybuilding. Even physique competitors, as in the dudes in the swim shorts, are on gear.

Personally, I do not think it's worth it, though there is some agreement from prior discussions that you can get away with a moderate amount of AAS (forget high dose HGH and insulin for now), for a short duration as in a few years, without an excessive amount of health consequences. Everyone will be different, however, and like others have mentioned the cutting required for competitions seems to require a serious insult to the kidneys.

Now, can you blast on 400 mg of Test Cypionate for 8 or 12 weeks and cruise on 200mg/week for a while and stay healthy? Probably, but you will need to track Hct, BP, and lipids, as well as estrogen. You could even add in some EQ or Deca and probably be ok as long as doses are reasonable. I personally do not think it's worth it, however.

I've bulked up a bit in the past and didn't really like it. I feel best lean, with some decent muscle mass, but healthy as in athletic looking. But, that's just me.

Can't speak to bodybuilding specifically, but as far as lifestyle...I pretty much tell my new residents every year and students on the interview trail you pretty much have time for **ONE** good hobby.

That may be family, hiking, lifting, crossfit, team sports, etc. To be good at something requires a plan, commitment, and willingness to sacrifice. I have residency friends in all different specialties and I feel like this is pretty much true no matter what unless you're in a super cush program and incredibly malignant one with true 80hrs/week.

In a difficult residency you need mental and physical rest, don't think you can do it all. Because you can't. And as soon as you slip people will blame that one hobby you have if it's easily recognizable (like lifting). BOL.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey, so I'm a CA-1 (almost CA-2...:thumbup:) that really likes working out.

One of my goals is to become a NPC bodybuilder once I am out in practice.

I have found at my program it is not hard to eat ~4-5x/day. I work it so that I eat before I come in (5:45am), then on my morning break for 10min, then lunch for 20 min, then on my afternoon break for 10 min, then dinner around 6 or 7.

Have any of you attgs done this? Jet I know you are serious into working out, but have you ever competed?

There was a bodybuilder/anesthesiologist in the past who did exactly what I wanted to do....peter fong....but apparently he got busted for drug use a while back, and went into obscurity. Obviously, the drug bust thing is not what I want to happen.

Not exactly related to anesthesiology, but I figured, what the heck.

Finally, I have a LOOONG way to go. I want to compete as a middleweight, right now I'm 5'7", 168 at about 10% BF. Would like to COMPETE at 190 to 200 lbs one day.

You forgot the HGH/Test/Tren/Clen/Anavar mixture as well.

A few protein shakes aint going to cut it brah.

It's hard, but you can do it.

Mike mentzer used to train 2-3x a week in his prime.

More recently mark dugsdale, a top level competitor has moved his scheduled down to 3-4x/week.

it's doable, but hard.

Mike Mentzer was roided out to the max and died in his 40s due to steroid induced cardiomyopathy.

But if its worth dying young to be roided out and big, go for it.

More like:

deca 400mg IM/ week
anadrol 50 1 PO QOD
GH 2 IU SQ QOD

LOL thats a beginner's dose brah

Baby stuff. No top NPC pro is doing so little. ALL top dudes are doing over twice that, not "some".

I actually just meant lifestyle and progress for better body. I have no intention of competing. Let me first get in the shape I really want =D
'How' did you all manage your time in residency training? What worked for you? What are some tricks and tips? What are your advices? What would you say was a mistake?

The months that I do 1 in 3 oncalls, it goes really crazy. What do you do then?
What changes do i made in my diet if I am in OR for 12 hours?
Can i exercise in short chunks of 15 mins in the oncall room - if theres no time at all. Is that equal to a 60 min workout at the gym?
Anything from you guys would help 'regarding lifestyle', not the drug doses.

Wow, I can't believe I posted this 8 years ago. It's funny to see how things have changed since. Eventually chose a sub-specialty of anesthesia in the end.

To answer your ? orthobod, I think with a decent diet and straightforward 4 day split to train all of your body parts you should be ahead of the game.

There is a book by Chris Aceto called "Championship Bodybuilding". While I understand you have no intention of competing it has a lot of good information on weight loss and muscle gain. Chris Aceto is a legend in the bodybuilding world as diet/training coach (he trained Cutler, Levrone, Sadik, Hany among many other amazing bodybuilders) and he knows his stuff.

As for cycling, Dr. Commonsense is true. I've competed in the NPC and you will have to be "enhanced" if you want to turn pro. Although I will say (like every drug we use in anesthesiology) some people are more resistant/susceptible to anabolics. If you have to use crazy amounts you probably shouldn't compete. Too much end-organ damage long term.

I think the hardest thing for you will be able to get time to workout and sleep. It's funny, in medical school the stereotype was that ortho guys were jocks and huge, but in reality at my program they were mostly super smart guys who were tall and thin. Most of the people I knew who did bodybuilding seriously were in more lifestyle oriented fields, like derm, rads, gas, psych and pm and r. There are always outliers, like Dr. Victor Prisk. Dude is a genetic freak; college gymnast ortho surgeon and IFBB pro. Apparently he is a pretty good swing dancer too.

Bottom line, it's not impossible to do but you will have to sleep less and be very time-efficient.

Wow, I can't believe I posted this 8 years ago. It's funny to see how things have changed since. Eventually chose a sub-specialty of anesthesia in the end.

To answer your ? orthobod, I think with a decent diet and straightforward 4 day split to train all of your body parts you should be ahead of the game.

There is a book by Chris Aceto called "Championship Bodybuilding". While I understand you have no intention of competing it has a lot of good information on weight loss and muscle gain. Chris Aceto is a legend in the bodybuilding world as diet/training coach (he trained Cutler, Levrone, Sadik, Hany among many other amazing bodybuilders) and he knows his stuff.

As for cycling, Dr. Commonsense is true. I've competed in the NPC and you will have to be "enhanced" if you want to turn pro. Although I will say (like every drug we use in anesthesiology) some people are more resistant/susceptible to anabolics. If you have to use crazy amounts you probably shouldn't compete. Too much end-organ damage long term.

I think the hardest thing for you will be able to get time to workout and sleep. It's funny, in medical school the stereotype was that ortho guys were jocks and huge, but in reality at my program they were mostly super smart guys who were tall and thin. Most of the people I knew who did bodybuilding seriously were in more lifestyle oriented fields, like derm, rads, gas, psych and pm and r. There are always outliers, like Dr. Victor Prisk. Dude is a genetic freak; college gymnast ortho surgeon and IFBB pro. Apparently he is a pretty good swing dancer too.

Bottom line, it's not impossible to do but you will have to sleep less and be very time-efficient.

I just looked him up

Male Transformation Of The Week - Dr. Victor R. Prisk!

Stats are 5'5" and 171lbs, so he's a classic manlet physique with HGH/Test added into the mix. He already is getting HGH gut in some of his pictures. His musculature is far too much for his build naturally.

Very impressive physique though, especially since becoming an Ortho surgeon on top of it.

My advice:

Get in a routine as much as possible. Work out at same time, get up at same time, EAT WELL. Bring your lunch and/or breakfast.

Do not underestimate importance of sleep.

Lots of work currently being done on shift workers and circadian rhythms and evidence seems to point to trying to get back into "normal" routine as soon as you swing from nights back to days. So after a 24 I try my hardest to eat breakfast, keep post call sleep to a minimum, and get back to my normal schedule ASAP. Not always possible, but I try.

Don't try to lift on breaks. Focus on work while you're there; the gym is a nice distraction.

I will echo the sentiment that you can't do it all. Was 225 at 6'1 and probably 7-8% bf when I started medical school and that was boozing like 4 days a week in college.
It was all downhill from there. I look more like a bouncer now, with a developing gut at 233#, and my big 3 lifts have dropped below 1000.
But to accomplish what I wanted in residency, learn a craft/become a consultant, enjoy michelin star restaurants with my wife and some bourbon on hard days, it's how it had to be.
2179294c764cfcf2520bb59528b2c208.jpg

I'll say it again. Understanding your response to carbohydrates and therefore your sensitivity to insulin is extremely important to achieving and maintaining a healthy body composition.

There is a stronger genetic predisposition towards Type II DM than Type I, so depending on family history, the deck may be stacked against you. Regardless, I think that the SAD diet is causing metabolic dysfunction in severe way. So, eating a clean diet and avoiding sugar or HFCS is very important, even to those whom are insulin sensitive.

If you remain extremely resistant to insulin (again, as evidence of very easy weight gain with even small amounts of carbs, not to mention blood glucose impact), then adding metformin to your regimen will be important. It is extremely safe, and I would argue starting sooner than later.

Again, labs are FBG, fasting insulin, and HbA1C. If those are elevated you need to ACT. This can be lifestyle and metformin, but catching things early is important.

Once you understand your level of insulin sensitivity, you can cater your diet accordingly. But, you must restrict carbs +/- metformin in early stages of insulin resistance. Heed this advice as it will greatly help you attain a better body composition and more healthy weight, and I would strongly argue improve your overall health greatly.

I just looked him up

Male Transformation Of The Week - Dr. Victor R. Prisk!

Stats are 5'5" and 171lbs, so he's a classic manlet physique with HGH/Test added into the mix. He already is getting HGH gut in some of his pictures. His musculature is far too much for his build naturally.

Very impressive physique though, especially since becoming an Ortho surgeon on top of it.

To my prior point. The bodybuilding community (going back to the days of the Golden Era), has understood the benefits of low carb even before Atkins was writing about it. Here's a paste of Dr. Prisk's diet from the link above: Bottom line. Wanna lose weight? Limit the carbs. This applies to MOST people but again, I acknowledge the 20% of folks whom are very insulin sensitive where they may not need to go as low.

I'll say it again. Understanding your response to carbohydrates and therefore your sensitivity to insulin is extremely important to achieving and maintaining a healthy body composition.

There is a stronger genetic predisposition towards Type II DM than Type I, so depending on family history, the deck may be stacked against you. Regardless, I think that the SAD diet is causing metabolic dysfunction in severe way. So, eating a clean diet and avoiding sugar or HFCS is very important, even to those whom are insulin sensitive.

If you remain extremely resistant to insulin (again, as evidence of very easy weight gain with even small amounts of carbs, not to mention blood glucose impact), then adding metformin to your regimen will be important. It is extremely safe, and I would argue starting sooner than later.

Again, labs are FBG, fasting insulin, and HbA1C. If those are elevated you need to ACT. This can be lifestyle and metformin, but catching things early is important.

Once you understand your level of insulin sensitivity, you can cater your diet accordingly. But, you must restrict carbs +/- metformin in early stages of insulin resistance. Heed this advice as it will greatly help you attain a better body composition and more healthy weight, and I would strongly argue improve your overall health greatly.

I posted it in the other health thread but the only way I can successfully cut is strict keto [20-40g/day total]. Even sugar alcohols tend to kick me out of keto based on my strip findings [when I'm restarting and before I've adapted]. At the same time it drastically jumps up my LDL/VLDL/TG. Fasting sugar was 69 on keto and high 90s without.

Not sure if the trade is worth it

I will echo the sentiment that you can't do it all. Was 225 at 6'1 and probably 7-8% bf when I started medical school and that was boozing like 4 days a week in college.
It was all downhill from there. I look more like a bouncer now, with a developing gut at 233#, and my big 3 lifts have dropped below 1000.
But to accomplish what I wanted in residency, learn a craft/become a consultant, enjoy michelin star restaurants with my wife and some bourbon on hard days, it's how it had to be.
2179294c764cfcf2520bb59528b2c208.jpg

Cool story bro

Everyone on the internet looks like Arnold and has ITE scores >95 percentile.

6'1 and 225 at 7% bodyfat is below average for the average poster around these parts

Reactions: 1 users