Board scores and peds...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LaughingGiraffe

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

An occasionally neurotic third year student here who has heard lots of rumors about Board scores and various competitive specialties, but not much about Board scores and the best specialty.

Do any of you have a sense of what the typical (and minimum) scores are for some of the top pediatrics programs? I'm certainly not dead set on going to a top program, but I'm just curious as to what my options will be when I get to that point.

For those who will say it depends on the rest of the package (which it obviously does), let's assume that all the other pieces of the puzzle (grades, school, LOR, etc) are decent.

Thanks, and sorry for all the parenthetical statements,

LG

Members don't see this ad.

LaughingGiraffe said:
Hi Folks,

An occasionally neurotic third year student here who has heard lots of rumors about Board scores and various competitive specialties, but not much about Board scores and the best specialty.

Do any of you have a sense of what the typical (and minimum) scores are for some of the top pediatrics programs? I'm certainly not dead set on going to a top program, but I'm just curious as to what my options will be when I get to that point.

For those who will say it depends on the rest of the package (which it obviously does), let's assume that all the other pieces of the puzzle (grades, school, LOR, etc) are decent.

Thanks, and sorry for all the parenthetical statements,

LG

I would like to know as well, I'm very interested in peds, as well as psych. I just found out I got a 198 on step I.

From what I have heard, top 5 programs the average is 230-235. Top 20 is going to average around 225. Most peds programs don't weight the Boards as high as other specialties so you still have a chance with lower scores. Hope that gives you some reference point.

Members don't see this ad :)
makesomerheum said:
From what I have heard, top 5 programs the average is 230-235. Top 20 is going to average around 225. Most peds programs don't weight the Boards as high as other specialties so you still have a chance with lower scores. Hope that gives you some reference point.

As someone in a top program who gets to review appliations of incoming resident files, I would say that these numbers are pretty damn accurate. If you have over 220 you have a shot at any peds program, it just depends on what else you have done (research, letters, class rank, etc. etc. and interview is important, but basically hard to get into at top 10 less than 225

jdog said:
As someone in a top program who gets to review appliations of incoming resident files, I would say that these numbers are pretty damn accurate. If you have over 220 you have a shot at any peds program, it just depends on what else you have done (research, letters, class rank, etc. etc. and interview is important, but basically hard to get into at top 10 less than 225

Which do you guys value more: step 1 or step 2?