Board Review Courses and Prosthetics and Orthotics Courses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rehabdocmd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What and where are the different board review courses? Those of you who have attended, what did/did you not like about them?

Also what are the best available prosthetics and orthotics courses?

When did you start studying for the boards?

Members don't see this ad.

1) None
2) A good residency experience; again, no course
3) Too late; late May-June b4 writtens. To be honest, I felt like if I studied another three months, I may have done 10-15% better at most. Lots of odd stuff on exam.

Reactions: 1 user
I started studying late spring my PGY4 year but suspended studying as I started fellowship - then gave it 4 good weekends of studying and passed comfortably. did not take a board review course.

there is a pretty good P&O course at RIC - I think the hopkins residents and some ortho residents come to take it. It's really hardcore concentrated information but the handouts alone make it worth while. They bring in real patients to figure out what you would prescribe, then what the patient actually has to see how close you were.

This five-day, in-depth course is designed to cover the basic skills and knowledge needed to manage spinal, upper and lower limb disabilities of adults and juveniles requiring prosthetic and/or orthotic care during various stages of recovery. An extensive manual is included in the course. A format of lectures, demonstrations, and live case discussions will focus on the following:

Amputation surgery
Post-op prosthetic and therapeutic management
Components for various orthotic and prosthetic systems
Biomechanics
Pedorthic management of various foot disorders
Normal and pathological gait
Gait analysis
Orthotic and prosthetic recommendations
Tuition: $800
Section A Dates: March 30 - April 3, 2009
Section B Dates: Apil 6 - April 10, 2009
345 East Superior Street
17th Floor
http://www.nupoc.northwestern.edu/ContinuingEducation/CourseDescriptions/tabid/69/Default.aspx

Members don't see this ad :)
How does the RIC course compare to the NYU? What is the difference in cost?

I'm a PGY4 and I've been nerdishly outlining Cuccurullo since last April. I have this feeling that I'm going to feel the same as I did after the step exams, that the best preparation is just staying on top of things all along and that no "cramming" is going to help much.

Any other input from people who have done the various board reviews? Is it really necessary?

- Kessler
- RIC
- UW
- Baylor

there might be others too, please add to list and comment with your opinions.

Any other input from people who have done the various board reviews? Is it really necessary?

- Kessler
- RIC
- UW
- Baylor

there might be others too, please add to list and comment with your opinions.

I took the P and O course at RIC and thought it was good info, organized, not overly wordy, and practical, particularly if you have reasonable exposure to this population in your residency program. I didn't take any board review course but had the Kessler Syllabus from theirs and used it as a knowledge guide in general as well as the basic structures for the rotations from my residency program. Boards were not a problem.

I've been to the Kessler Review Course, which is very good. To use the review course well, it should be a review, rather than the initiation of studying. It's also probably better for oral boards than written boards, and probably the best study resource for oral boards.

For written boards, I think the best way to study is to buy the Cuccarullo review book as early as possible in residency, and use this as your primary source. When you learn pearls that are not in Cuccarullo, I would write them in the margins. By the time you are getting ready for the boards as a senior, you will have one go-to resource that you are already familiar with.

For boards overall- I think they are easy enough to pass, especially if you went to a good residency program. I think they are worth studying for anyway, though- the minutia I learned actually has helped me quite a bit clinically

are these the only 4 board review course available (listed in no specific order) do we have any option for a DVD or AUDIO board review self paced course? thanks in advance. :thumbup:

1) BAYLOR HOUSTON

2)KESSLER

3) NYU program

4) SEATTLE

Does anyone know if you can do just the oral review, seems like most of the reviews cover both and are most of the emphasis is towards the written. It may be nice to do the oral review separately after fellowship...

Does anyone know if you can do just the oral review, seems like most of the reviews cover both and are most of the emphasis is towards the written. It may be nice to do the oral review separately after fellowship...

I believe the Kessler course allows you to register for the mock orals only for a nominal fee. But it doesn't allow you to attend the review sessions.

Didn't Utah offer a course a while back?

NYU has mock orals that I think you can sign up for separately, but I don't
know how good they are from any personal experience. I took the NYU course
as a resident there and didn't get much out of it. Some people told me the
Kessler course is about the same, and some said it was better. But the Kessler
course is longer and way more expensive. NYU happens earlier, and Kessler
happens later. If you want the course to kick-start your studying, I would
suggest taking an earlier course. If you want it as review before taking the
exam, I'd go with something later.

I found Cuccurullo to be the most important by far. I also outlined that book,
actually more like re-wrote it by hand, and then read my notes a couple times
and that was money. I've also heard that the study guides from the Archives
(believe it or not) are good for boards, but I can't verify because I never got