Board of Lifestyle Medicine?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JBM16BYU

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am posting this under the family medicine forum since it seems that it is most common among family medicine physicians and residency programs, although I do understand that it expands into other specialties as well. What are the benefits of being boarded in lifestyle medicine? How do you incorporate this into your practice? Is the investment worth it? Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

If you're already ABFM boarded in FM, why bother? You should've learned that stuff in residency.

Reactions: 2 users
I guess I am asking more from the perspective of coming from other specialties. Personally am PM&R. I just noticed that the curriculum is oftentimes listed under or incorporated into family medicine residencies, hence why I posted the question here.

Members don't see this ad :)
IMO, non-ABMS boards are a waste of time and money. Nobody who knows what they are takes them seriously, and they can be viewed as a red flag.

Reactions: 1 users
Surprisingly, I disagree with @Blue Dog. I think it's a nice bonus when an FM residency offers it. I don't know if I'd go outside of my way to get it outside of a residency program though.

Lifestyle medicine gives you the specifics of teaching diet/nutrition/exercise rx, things you don't really learn in medical school. How much is a serving size, how much should a person be eating in terms of fiber amounts, legumes, dairy, etc.

Can you learn this on your own? Yes. I recommend the Harvard conference for lifestyle medicine that's done in the summer. It's excellent if you want to get a sense of it.

Surprisingly, I disagree with @Blue Dog. I think it's a nice bonus when an FM residency offers it. I don't know if I'd go outside of my way to get it outside of a residency program though.

Lifestyle medicine gives you the specifics of teaching diet/nutrition/exercise rx, things you don't really learn in medical school. How much is a serving size, how much should a person be eating in terms of fiber amounts, legumes, dairy, etc.

Can you learn this on your own? Yes. I recommend the Harvard conference for lifestyle medicine that's done in the summer. It's excellent if you want to get a sense of it.
You didn't learn that in medical school?

It wasn't much but we had a handful of self study modules that covered those basic aspects.

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 users
I get why these are fun boards to consider. The skills and training you can get are typically things you can learn in residency or practice on your own after training. They might be interesting advertising ideas, but they really don't serve a very good specific purpose. I love credentials just like everyone, but they are just what they are.