Board Certification Exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

General Zod

Reaction score
So I took the BC exam on Thursday. It’s my first recertification and I honestly didn’t feel great about it.

I’m a hospitalist and there seemed to be a decent amount of dermatology and GYN/contraceptive stuff. I don’t do that stuff anymore. I don’t do pediatrics anymore either.

Today I received my “preliminary pass” score. Of course they put a nice disclaimer by it. There is no guarantee that the final score will be the same etc. etc……

I had too much going on in my life to take the test back in the spring. So I bet on myself. A passing score was due by the end of the year or my board certification will lapse. Pretty gutsy since my hospitals’ bylaws state that a loss of board certification leads to a voluntary relinquishment of hospital privileges. I’ll never roll the dice like this again. My question is….and I’m sure this is just the OCD talking… …..Has anyone heard of someone receiving a final result, which is different from their preliminary result? Either way? Just curious to know.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I think final results come out December 31st basing on what ABFM posted as the Fall examination schedule. Getting a preliminary pass is a good thing. You took it last week I take it?

Members don't see this ad :)
So I took the BC exam on Thursday. It’s my first recertification and I honestly didn’t feel great about it.

I’m a hospitalist and there seemed to be a decent amount of dermatology and GYN/contraceptive stuff. I don’t do that stuff anymore. I don’t do pediatrics anymore either.

Today I received my “preliminary pass” score. Of course they put a nice disclaimer by it. There is no guarantee that the final score will be the same etc. etc……

I had too much going on in my life to take the test back in the spring. So I bet on myself. A passing score was due by the end of the year or my board certification will lapse. Pretty gutsy since my hospitals’ bylaws state that a loss of board certification leads to a voluntary relinquishment of hospital privileges. I’ll never roll the dice like this again. My question is….and I’m sure this is just the OCD talking… …..Has anyone heard of someone receiving a final result, which is different from their preliminary result? Either way? Just curious to know.
I’m in the same situation very nervous
Is prelim pass really a pass or they will change it to fail
Exam $&@? It was much more difficult than I thought
All outliers and weird stuff

I’m in the same situation very nervous
Is prelim pass really a pass or they will change it to fail
Exam $&@? It was much more difficult than I thought
All outliers and weird stuff

I agree. Exam was random and just a headache. Have you gotten the prelim results? Im still seeing In progress for my status and I don’t know what it means honestly. Is this pending review? Or still
actually waiting for it to be having a prelim?

I agree. Exam was random and just a headache. Have you gotten the prelim results? Im still seeing In progress for my status and I don’t know what it means honestly. Is this pending review? Or still
actually waiting for it to be having a prelim?
Yes prelim pass but pending under exam tab
Weird
Not sure what to do