Blade Opines on Money and Anesthesia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Blade:

Are you also interested in any other asset classes at this time ?

I saw on TV that a pundit noted in Japan bonds were the best performing asset class in Japan during the last years of the "lost decade."

Historically, stocks tend to beat real estate:

http://www.fool.com/investing/begin...-vs-real-estate-millions-are-screwing-up.aspx

I like your emphasis on resources as history supports your approach.

Do you consider any other resources ? Ie minerals...

look at thre chart from 3 years ago. Gold "corrected" from $900 to $720. Did I buy then? No. I was too afraid. Instead, I waited for Gold to go over $900 an ounce again before buying:eek::eek::eek:

Now, it's 3 years later and Gold is in correction phase again. $1900 to $1600. This time I'm a buyer!!

Members don't see this ad.

Blade:

Are you also interested in any other asset classes at this time ?

I saw on TV that a pundit noted in Japan bonds were the best performing asset class in Japan during the last years of the "lost decade."

Historically, stocks tend to beat real estate:

http://www.fool.com/investing/begin...-vs-real-estate-millions-are-screwing-up.aspx

I like your emphasis on resources as history supports your approach.

Do you consider any other resources ? Ie minerals...

Yes. I have a list of "hard asset" producers. The drillers, the miners, steel manufacturers, Energy, Copper, etc. I'm waiting for the S and P to drop below 1100. I figure a washout around S and P 1050.

saupload_sep1220112008tableetfsaugrallyusd.png

Members don't see this ad :)
The similarities between silver and gold is concerning. Although gold remains fundamentally valued in the investment community, I continue to believe that the chart points lower. Whether we get a consolidation range similar to SLV from May-September is anyone’s guess. The GLD remains technically broken and for the first time in a while people have losses in their portfolio's. As of today, the ETF is trading below 160 and anyone buying higher, will become a seller looking to lessen his loss or capitulate.
This is a very real scenario and not often reviewed in the retail world. The GLD has major headwinds above its current price. In fact, it has not had any resistance in over a year and has had only one major correction since 2008, when it traded lower by 25%. The current downtrend is about 13% and I expect at least a 20% move near term and a potentially much larger move over the next year.

How can you take someone with Wesley Snipes as an avitar pic seriously? Wesley is in prison for refusing to pay taxes. Best investment is guns and farmland. Dont bother buying anything else.

How can you take someone with Wesley Snipes as an avitar pic seriously? Wesley is in prison for refusing to pay taxes. Best investment is guns and farmland. Dont bother buying anything else.

Guns and Farmland? Please. The best investment is whatever makes you money. period. Soon, that will be the commodity trade once again. Buy low sell high.

My Avatar represents BLADE the Movie not Wesley Snipes the actor. That's like saying Superman=Christopher Reeve the deceased actor. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Reeve

Only a ***** or an idiot would post "don't buy anything else" except Guns or Farmland. Which one are you?

Guns and Farmland? Please. The best investment is whatever makes you money. period. Soon, that will be the commodity trade once again. Buy low sell high.

My Avatar represents BLADE the Movie not Wesley Snipes the actor. That's like saying Superman=Christopher Reeve the deceased actor. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Reeve

Only a ***** or an idiot would post "don't buy anything else" except Guns or Farmland. Which one are you?

I'm guessing both.

Have you SEEN any other threads on this site? Maybe you'd be on board with Blade if you had...... :eek: (I know hobby vs investment but still makes my point)

After 30 years of decline, the world is again experiencing a sustained increase in commodity prices. The last long-cycle uptrend, born at the end of the Great Depression, was driven by the rebuilding of Europe after the wars and later on the rise of Japan to economic powerhouse status. The oil shocks of the 1970s were an effective death knell. The current rise, forged on the industrialization and urbanization of the world's most populous country, began early in the final decade of the 20th century, though the seeds were probably sown considerably earlier.

Fair Value Estimate
$100.00

Consider Buying
$70.00
Consider Selling
$135.0

Current Price: $67

http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=BHP

http://finance.yahoo.com/q?d=t&s=MT

Current Price: $16.80

ArcelorMittal is well-positioned relative to other European steelmakers for the pending upturn, thanks to its vertical integration and high degree of operating leverage. With a flexible operating network, the company is slowly ramping up production in line with rising shipments while cautiously re-initiating key growth projects. Strong emerging-market exposure will prompt a quicker sales recovery than at many of the company's competitors, as steel demand in the developed world is likely to recover at a slower pace. The company became the largest steel producer in 2006 with the merger of Mittal Steel and Arcelor with about 8% of the world's steelmaking capacity. Supplying one fifth of the global automotive market's steel needs, the company is a strategic partner for many large manufacturers, reaffirming its importance in the global steel market.

Fair Value Estimate
$52.00

Consider Buying
$31.20
Consider Selling
$80.60

The previous posts were for those interested in some well run Commodity companies. I have many more. Once the world GDP/economy improves these stocks will DOUBLE from here.

Members don't see this ad :)
The market likes to give "gifts" from time to time. This happens when people panic and start selling everything including the good stocks.

When we get another big down day forcing the S and P back to 1120 I'll be a buyer of those stocks. I'll buy some at 1120 and some more at 1100 with the rest at 1050 (if we get there).

It takes balls of steel to buy when there is blood in the streets. But, that's how money is made when you aren't a trader. Buy when everyone is selling and Sell when everyone is drinking champagne at the party.

http://finance.yahoo.com/q?d=t&s=JOYG
(another stock I want to own around $60)

Baron Rothschild, an 18th century British nobleman and member of the Rothschild banking family, is credited with saying that "The time to buy is when there's blood in the streets."

He should know. Rothschild made a fortune buying in the panic that followed the Battle of Waterloo against Napoleon. But that's not the whole story. The original quote is believed to be "Buy when there's blood in the streets, even if the blood is your own."

This is contrarian investing at its heart - the strongly-held belief that the worse things seem in the market, the better the opportunities are for profit.

Most people only want winners in their portfolios, but as Warren Buffett warned, "You pay a very high price in the stock market for a cheery consensus." In other words, if everyone agrees with your investment decision, then it's probably not a good one.

Stock
AGU
CF
MOS
POT
Price
$72.57
$146.89
$60.11
$46.90
1 yr Analysts’ Target price
$105.99
$189.15
$84.46
$68.59
Predicted % Gain
46%
29%
41%
46%
PE

Baron Rothschild, an 18th century British nobleman and member of the Rothschild banking family, is credited with saying that "The time to buy is when there's blood in the streets."

He should know. Rothschild made a fortune buying in the panic that followed the Battle of Waterloo against Napoleon. But that's not the whole story. The original quote is believed to be "Buy when there's blood in the streets, even if the blood is your own."

This is contrarian investing at its heart - the strongly-held belief that the worse things seem in the market, the better the opportunities are for profit.

Most people only want winners in their portfolios, but as Warren Buffett warned, "You pay a very high price in the stock market for a cheery consensus." In other words, if everyone agrees with your investment decision, then it's probably not a good one.

Buffett himself suggests that when you buy stocks, they are assets with a tangible value. Their current price is what they are selling for, but that isn't necessarily what they are worth. When the market tumbles, it means everything is on sale. You should be buying when the price is cheap, not when it's expensive.

The people in history that got the wealthiest from stocks did their buying when the market (or their corner of the market) was at it's lowest.

Every time the market tanks, another buying opportunity arises.

Buffett himself suggests that when you buy stocks, they are assets with a tangible value. Their current price is what they are selling for, but that isn't necessarily what they are worth. When the market tumbles, it means everything is on sale. You should be buying when the price is cheap, not when it's expensive.

The people in history that got the wealthiest from stocks did their buying when the market (or their corner of the market) was at it's lowest.

Every time the market tanks, another buying opportunity arises.

We shall have that opportunity this month. Things look very ugly and I expect another 7-10% drop in the S and P 500 this month.

Crises that plagued the markets throughout September have historically reached a crescendo in October, and this year is no exception," says Randy Warren, chief investment officer at Warren Financial Service. "We're shoring up protection for our portfolios and preparing for the worst." Investment strategists have been vociferous in their warnings about stock picking: Defensive names and those with hefty dividends might be OK. But as for the banks or multinationals with exposure to Europe, steer clear!

I am neither of those and I guarantee I make a hell of lot more money than you do in my practice and with my investments.

The guy I rent my farms to just gave me over 100 dollars more per acre more for next year. Farms are a hell of an investment. I sit back and collect 50,000 dollars a year while he farms my land.

As the country continues to go in the crapper, good luck with your gold and money. They will be worthless. You will need land and guns. Food and protection.

I am neither of those and I guarantee I make a hell of lot more money than you do in my practice and with my investments.

The guy I rent my farms to just gave me over 100 dollars more per acre more for next year. Farms are a hell of an investment. I sit back and collect 50,000 dollars a year while he farms my land.

As the country continues to go in the crapper, good luck with your gold and money. They will be worthless. You will need land and guns. Food and protection.

tin-foil-hat.jpg

While SDN is overwhelmingly depressing, it is at least honest. I have been lied to by people I trusted in life with almost devastating consequences...as a resident, attendings last year tried to pretend they weren't about their specialty and cash labeling it as "patient care", but i saw through it...

Blade has changed my life dramatically, but as an online colleague he has done it more through his logic and arguments.

There are many people out there who are phony 100% of the time. Those who sold the profession out are nearing retirement and don't care...they left us to beg for the scraps...Blade stuck around, and while I hate the coffee mug icon and wished he would talk about his faith more, he cares about us...

I am a survivalist, I have lived on and near the land the last years and I love it. However, the survivalist fad is way off. If you have farm land and something happens the govt will claim it in the end...even countries that declared bankruptcy in recent decades did not decsend into civil chaos..my defintion of survivalism is more about flexibility and mobility...how long would you survive a shootout against larger forces ? would you really want to live in a post apocalyptic world or be in heaven?

real estate did not outperform the stock market in the last decades, in fact there is a great study showing that renting a house may be better than owning...

If you already have assetts and are looking at wealth building, thats a different matter..

QUOTE=BLADEMDA;11644770]
tin-foil-hat.jpg
[/QUOTE]

I'm getting real close to adding to my GOLD position. Silver should be bought below 28. Gold at under $1550 an ounce is a buy. Remember it was $1900 an ounce just a short while ago.

Even absent such a shock, Achuthan predicted this recession will have dire consequences.
“It means the jobless rate, already above 9%, will go much higher, and the federal budget deficit, already above a trillion dollars, will soar,” Achuthan said. “If you think this is a bad economy, you haven’t seen anything yet.”
Don’t Bail on the Market
Given the economy’s bleak prognosis, it might be tempting to bail on stocks entirely. But Money Morning’s Fitz-Gerald says there are five steps investors can take to protect their portfolios and eke out some gains, as well:

• Sell Strategically: Sell into strength and capture profits using trailing stops that are gradually ratcheted up as the bounce begins. This will help you raise cash (that can be used to buy into the rebound when it eventually happens)
  • Hedge Your Bets: Use specialized inverse funds (ETFs) to hedge downside risk that will accompany the rollover to the downside and rack up significant gains at the same time.
  • Consider Alternatives: Buy commodities – most notably gold (NYSE:GLD) and oil (NYSE:USO) - on pullbacks. These alternative assets will help preserve the value of your portfolio as the markets roll over. Their value will accelerate dramatically when the world economy recovers – as it eventually will.
  • Think Globally: Put new money to work in so-called”glocal” stockswith fortress-like balance sheets, diversified revenue and experienced management. Not only will they help hedge the value of your portfolio, but by concentrating your focus on them you are building in upside potential even if we haven’t hit a bottom. Those offering big dividends are best because that will help you keep pace with the inflation the government debt will ultimately induce.
  • Stay in the game: It’s tempting to bail out given my prognosis for more downside, but attempting to time the markets is a fool’s errand — and never works. You just wind up getting skinned twice — once on the way down and again because you were standing on the sidelines and got left behind when the markets ultimately reverse — which they will.

I'm getting real close to adding to my GOLD position. Silver should be bought below 28. Gold at under $1550 an ounce is a buy. Remember it was $1900 an ounce just a short while ago.

Look at my post from 10/05/2011. I was SPOT ON about Gold then and Dennis Gartman is buying Gold now.

Several big banks, including UBS, Morgan Stanley and Societe Generale, forecast the average price would break above the $2,000 level, which would be well above last September's record $1,920.30. Their predictions highlight the extreme nature of a rally that started in 2001 from an average level of $270.

Several big banks, including UBS, Morgan Stanley and Societe Generale, forecast the average price would break above the $2,000 level, which would be well above last September's record $1,920.30. Their predictions highlight the extreme nature of a rally that started in 2001 from an average level of $270.

Gold is fine to bought here but I would avoid buying gold at over $1800 an ounce. Instead, look for a pullback at under $1700 an ounce. For those traders out there Gold should be sold once it breaks out to an all time high as it will retrace some back towards $1850 an ounce.

Longer term gold will likely break $2,000 an ounce and I expect a massive rally in Gold if Obama wins re-election.

Gold is fine to bought here but I would avoid buying gold at over $1800 an ounce. Instead, look for a pullback at under $1700 an ounce. For those traders out there Gold should be sold once it breaks out to an all time high as it will retrace some back towards $1850 an ounce.

Longer term gold will likely break.....

.....infinity.

It's not that there is anything special about gold. Long term the price of marshmellows will hit infinity as the dollar collapses.

Gold is setting up for a buy in the near time. I'm hoping to add a significant position in GLD and physical Gold at under $1500 an ounce. I'm hoping for under $1450.

Silver looks good at under $28 an ounce.

If you think we can balance the budget and pay down the debt in the next 2-3 years then avoid Gold.
But, if you think more money printing and inflation is likely then buy gold.

With the Euro looking weak and the dollar only gaining strength temporarily Gold is setting up nicely here.

I expect another losing week for the market and the bears are out in force.

At the end of the day you will likely do better owning a few shares of precious metals mining stocks or mutual fund than you will owning the physical precious metal.

At the end of the day you will likely do better owning a few shares of precious metals mining stocks or mutual fund than you will owning the physical precious metal.

We shall see. I'll post back here in 6 months and show you how I have done. You are simply wrong about precious metals because of the world money supply and looming inflation.

Platinum is selling for less than Gold so analyze that situation. One of them is a screaming buy depending on your world view.

Mining stocks do look good right now and I'm adding to my recent position in EGO.

As I acquire more US dollars my goal is a 15% position in precious metals and mining stocks. Unlike you I believe in timing these purchases and that time is very near.

FYI, I want to buy JPM at $31 a share as that is a fantastic price even with the recent trading scandal.

The other screaming buy right now is ENERGY. Natural Gas stocks, Coal, Canadian Oil Sand producers, etc. have been decimated. IF the world economy recovers you are looking at doubles in many of these companies.

Doze,

Are you pushing back toward bonds @ this point? I mean... taking a step back, it's been a real nice run.

Time to start moving back towards bonds and wait to see how things shake out?

Just curious as to your position in the current environment.

tr4der-%5EDJI-6-months.png

We shall see. I'll post back here in 6 months and show you how I have done. You are simply wrong about precious metals because of the world money supply and looming inflation.

Platinum is selling for less than Gold so analyze that situation. One of them is a screaming buy depending on your world view.

Mining stocks do look good right now and I'm adding to my recent position in EGO.

As I acquire more US dollars my goal is a 15% position in precious metals and mining stocks. Unlike you I believe in timing these purchases and that time is very near.

FYI, I want to buy JPM at $31 a share as that is a fantastic price even with the recent trading scandal.

Think about it. If massive inflation hits, don't you think that at the end of the day you will do better owning some shares in Dole than a few crates of pineapples?

I agree with this investment manager's view of Gold:

http://canadiancouchpotato.com/2010/11/03/rick-ferris-take-on-gold/

Think about it. If massive inflation hits, don't you think that at the end of the day you will do better owning some shares in Dole than a few crates of pineapples?

I agree with this investment manager's view of Gold:

http://canadiancouchpotato.com/2010/11/03/rick-ferris-take-on-gold/

Again, we shall see. I firmly believe Gold goes up at least 50% from here or more in the next 5 years. 50%. I'll take that bet every time.

Of course, you could be looking at 100% increase in some commodity stocks from the bottom but I'm not sure where the bottom is especially for Natural Gas and Coal.

Fear grows of Greece leaving euro

By Ralph Atkins in Frankfurt

772e3018-71c7-11e1-b853-00144feab49a.img

Eurozone central bankers have talked publicly for the first time of managing a possible Greek exit from Europe's monetary union as stalemate in Athens talks on a coalition government raises the prospect that Greece will renege on the terms of its international bailout.
The comments by members of the European Central Bank's governing council indicate that the risk of eurozone fragmentation is being taken increasingly seriously by the region's policymakers.
They mark a significant shift at the ECB, which has previously argued that European treaties do not allow for an exit and that a break-up would cause incalculable economic damage.

The situation in the euro zone has become so bleak that it is giving rise to the most improbable rumours. The latest to make the rounds of European hedge fund managers suggests that the euro will be tied to the dollar at close to parity, a dramatic fall from its current level of just under $1.30 and one that would involve the printing of hundreds of billions of euros.

euro-cracked-1-200.jpg
However unlikely, the speculation is an indication of Europe's plight in a world with little growth and every government looking at exports as a way to grow. A cheap currency giving an artificial boost to competitiveness is more palatable than austerity.

The euro [EUR= 1.2901 [IMG]http://media.cnbc.com/i/CNBC/CNBC_Images/componentbacks/watchlist_up.gif[/IMG] 0.0018 (+0.14%) ] remains relatively strong for a variety of reasons. Despite domestic tensions, Europeans are not taking their money out of Europe, they are just moving it to safer homes within the region. Moreover, European banks continue to sell off dollar assets and bring the proceeds home. In addition, central banks in emerging countries continue to hold the euro as something of a reserve currency.

Meanwhile, the Americans and Chinese prefer to see the euro remain strong since exporters on both sides of the Pacific compete against Europeans. To the extent that the euro does drop, pressure will increase on the Fed to consider another round of quantitative easing to keep the dollar relatively depressed.

If the euro collapses that will be especially bad news for China though, since 18 per cent of China's exports go to Europe. In April, Chinese exports to the euro zone were down 2.4 per cent from a year ago, according to broker CLSA. Some of those exports were from German makers in China itself. For example, Pakistani textile mills have recently imported capital equipment from Siemens plants on the mainland. But if the euro sinks, German manufacturers will export from home rather than from their Chinese factories.

RELATED LINKS

Some analysts suspect that China has been trying to support the euro and indeed, data from BNY Mellon suggests that as the growth in Chinese reserves slows, the euro falls.

Meanwhile, the liquidity from the excess printing of money especially in the U.S. continues to spill over into the rest of the world.

Since the crisis, once again liquidity stemming from the U.S. has driven commodity prices up and helped stoke credit booms in many emerging markets such as in Brazil.

That means that while the markets continue to focus on the euro zone and its troubles, there are other longer term conflicting trends in the currency world that bear watching. They stem both from these flows of developed market liquidity and from the latest economic developments in China.

China reported disappointing trade numbers this week with exports and especially import levels far lower than expected, pointing to lower growth. But more importantly, analysts such as Stephen Jen, of London-based hedge fund SLJ Macro Partners and formerly the head of currency research at Morgan Stanley, believe that China is undergoing a major shift in the sources of growth, tilting away from investment-led growth to a more consumption driven model.

That also raises the stakes for the U.S. and increases the likelihood of another round of easing from Washington.

In recent months, exports – especially to China – have been one of the few sources of growth for the US but that growth is slowing now, with some companies seeing slower orders. On Thursday, the U.S. Commerce Department reported that the trade deficit widened $6.4 billion to almost $52 billion as imports rose 5.2 per cent and exports rose 2.9 per cent.

That also means countries that have ridden China's coattails such as Brazil and Australia may see their own fortunes turn down since consumption-led growth is far less commodity intensive than investment led growth.

No country was more of a beneficiary of the liquidity from the developed markets and demand from China than Brazil. But today, many analysts consider the Brazilian real to be the most overvalued currency. A world in which commodity prices are significantly lower may mean that commodity importers will do better in coming years.

The central banks of the developed world cannot print money indefinitely. When they stop, it will be the countries that have used the time and money to become truly competitive that will be in the best place.

"Wealthy people don't sell their gold, their homes or their insurance policies. The idea is to have purchasing power even when nobody else has any purchasing power. The great fortunes are made when you're buying and there's blood on the streets.

It's easy to make money in a hard-money bull market, but hard to hold on to those profits. I look at gold and silver, not as a play for profits, but as an accumulation of hard assets, in a world that it drowning in fiat money, and a world that will probably print trillions more of irredeemable paper. The word now is patience and no faith in the world's politicians who will print ‘money' forever in the hopes that it will float us out of the recession.

GOLD -- Is not like any other asset. Gold represents eternal wealth. I accumulate gold, but I never sell it. In a severe bear market, the only item that you can trust absolutely to survive is gold. Gold is the ultimate insurance policy, which is why I don't worry about it and am not tempted to sell it when it declines.