Black premeds/doctors around?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Bless up (is there a praying hands emoticon?? LOL)

Dead.

How are you prepping, if you don't mind me asking.
I'm a year and a half away from preparing for anything med school related, but I've always wondered what the interviews are like.

URM specific scholarship info would be great :ninja:

You have a long way to go, lol
I had two mock interviews. I am going to have another one this week after I finish this fellowship app :/
I review my AMCAS app, and go through each activity, and what I gained out of it. I think look at the school's mission statement, curriculum, fun facts, programs that stick out to me to ask myself why this school, and why should they pick me.

I am also reading a book, and some NY Times Op pieces to have stuff to talk about. Lastly, I am reading a Kaplan Step 2 ethics book for those ethical questions MMI ish.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Hello friends! Black American, racial justice organizer, recently accepted this cycle Didn't expect my interviewers to be positively intrigued by my racial justice work, but I also didn't make an effort to show restraint lol Worked out in my favor in the end I guess. Black love
I'm very proud of you!

Reactions: 2 users
You have a long way to go, lol
I had two mock interviews. I am going to have another one this week after I finish this fellowship app :/
I review my AMCAS app, and go through each activity, and what I gained out of it. I think look at the school's mission statement, curriculum, fun facts, programs that stick out to me to ask myself why this school, and why should they pick me.

I am also reading a book, and some NY Times Op pieces to have stuff to talk about. Lastly, I am reading a Kaplan Step 2 ethics book for those ethical questions MMI ish.

What are you reading? I've read so much in the last semester and I'm still searching

Members don't see this ad :)
How many of you are planning to take a gap year? Ideally I'd like to just go straight through

What are you reading? I've read so much in the last semester and I'm still searching

Henrietta Lacks, mass incarceration the new jim crow, pathologies of power, the spirit catches you and you fall down, and etc.

In my leisure time, side chick 1, 2, 3, 4, cutty buddy, her husband my man, sidechickology, budussy and other urban novels lol.

Reactions: 7 users
How many of you are planning to take a gap year? Ideally I'd like to just go straight through

Going straight through has its advantages. You're saving time and potentially money. You'll be a doctor sooner and will be able to move on with your life in other ways. I took several years off to do a postbac (I wasn't premed in undergrad) and went to grad school, but I accumulated quite a bit of debt as a result. I also sat and watched as other friends started families and advanced in their careers.

However, my gap years definitely helped enhance my application in many ways. On the interview trail, interviewers told me they appreciate the mature perspective that older applicants bring to the table. In the end it was worth it, as I made it into med school on my first try.

If you have something productive planned, don't feel bad about taking a gap year (or in my case... 5+ gap years lol). But if you're fortunate enough to be a competitive applicant by the end of junior year (I was not), then try to go straight through.

That's so awesome I love seeing people work in the community and give back. I'm trying to get more involved with things like that, with grassroots and I'm hoping to start an NAACP chapter in my school. Can you give a little info on what you did?

Hey there! I'm a labor organizer by trade, but I've been focusing my energies on economic justice for people of color, anti-oppression trainings, and organizing on campus for racial/orientation/(dis)-ability justice. I'm taking a break at the moment, because it can be a lot sometimes, but hopefully I'll be able to do some more work soon. I'm not a huge fan of the NAACP, due to some sour past experiences, but if that seems like the way to go with all things considered, then go for it! I'm currently organizing in a part-time fashion to get an Office of Diversity established at my school.

Reactions: 1 user

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Anyone accepted or attending interviews to any of the Michigan Medical schools?

I took several gap years. At first it was because I wanted to raise my GPA and have more time to study for the MCAT and finishing take pre reqs. But after a while it also became me wanting to enjoy my 20s try new things, explore, travel etc. I joined the military branch in the reserves, got to meet a bunch of awesome people, hoping to go to Airborne school this summer where you get to learn how to jump out of planes :D I'm also doing research at a hospital and have gotten several opportunities to present posters at our annual conference and am working on publishing.

In the end I'm happy with my decision, had I not taken these gap years I would have never had these amazing experiences, I also would have never met my boyfriend who I love very much and am 99% sure will be the person I eventually marry.

Right now I'm attending school taking upper level bcpm classes thanks to the military paying for it. I also am on an ROTC scholarship that essentially pays your rent/cost of living and then I use the military gi bill to pay for bills and food. So instead of having to work, this leaves me with time to get loads of research experience and clinical experience as well as ample time to focus on school.

I do agree with the person above me that it can be frustrating when you see other people getting their careers together and you're still not in medical school. Even though we shouldn't, it's hard not to compare yourself to your peers. But the way I see it, I've spent so much time in my gap years being successful in other areas of my life such as the military and in clinical research that in many ways I think I'm doing pretty well compared to other people and I'm proud of the things I've been able to accomplish so far. I also feel ill have a competitive application come time to apply because since I've had so many gap years I have a diverse range of experiences that I think make me competitive and a valuable addition to a medical school and I simply wouldn't have had as wide and diverse range of experiences if I had gone straight to medical school from college. It would have been impossible to fit that into 4 years.

Henrietta Lacks, mass incarceration the new jim crow, pathologies of power, the spirit catches you and you fall down, and etc.

In my leisure time, side chick 1, 2, 3, 4, cutty buddy, her husband my man, sidechickology, budussy and other urban novels lol.

Many of these are SUCH great reads!
Plus, who can go wrong with an urban novel or two!

Members don't see this ad :)

Before I started undergrad, I was out of school for 6 years!

Even though I'm still in my 20's, I feel like I'm still going to miss out on some things by the time I get to med school. I look around and see what everyone has accomplished and I'm still here trying to get through this process. However, I don't regret my slow progress. I'm still learning a lot about the person I am becoming and these new personal discoveries should keep me occupied for the next couple of years.

Everyone sounds like they're doing something so worthwhile, but I feel like I wouldn't have anything as meaningful to do in a gap year. Im still trying to find myself, and I'm hoping things will come together. And. Hopefully meet a nice guy there :laugh:

What has everyone done as far as experience?
Depends on what you mean as experience....

Since I'm taking a few gap years till I apply, I'm using this time to enjoy the things I love while chasing the dream I desire. I've always had a heart for the underprivileged (Nigerian myself). So while I'm taking post-bacc classes, I love going to the Projects, Wards, and other types of government housing and serving people. Even if you grew up in the wealthiest of suburbs, you don't understand the impact you have on a young black kid when they see you chasing a dream deemed unobtainable to them. I highly encourage you to experience being a mentor to someone in these communities. Reminding them they are more than what the media wants to portray them as.

Reactions: 4 users
Which ones are you referring to? Yes, I am addicted to my .99 cents urban novels. Kindle is always referring books my way. I have an addiction. Too bad, I can never tell ADCOMS my true favorite book :/

Immortal life of Henrietta Lacks and The Spirit Catches You... :)

I'm founder and president of a Medical mission club at my school, I'm VP of my school, I was a special education tutor, BSU. ~275 clinical volunteer hours. And I'm hoping to found an NAACP.

lmao, budussy tho?

Which ones are you referring to? Yes, I am addicted to my .99 cents urban novels. Kindle is always referring books my way. I have an addiction. Too bad, I can never tell ADCOMS my true favorite book :/
I hope it's not The Coldest Winter Ever.

I haven't really thought about taking a gap year. At this point I'm done with planning every detail of my future past two years ahead. In a perfect world however, I guess I would take a 1-2 year gap depending on how my current career is going.

All I do is volunteer at a nursing home where the nurses hate working with me.

I honestly don't know why, but I think it's more so that they see me as an inconvenience.
Sooo, I spend my time talking to my favorite resident and limit my volunteer hours to 10 a week.

I'm looking into volunteering at a nearby hospital for the summer.
I'm also a part of the Black Student Union at my school but we've been lacking members so it's inactive atm *sad face*. I also volunteer for various events around campus.

That's really it so far...
I'm not as amazing as everyone else here, lol.

lol I remember in high school everyone bringing those "urban" books to school and sharing it with others. My friend got suspended for bringing a Zane book to school:laugh::roflcopter::rofl:

My school had BSU as well. And like yours had a problem with numbers. But the African Student Association was something else, felt like a gang at times....

giphy.gif

Reactions: 6 users
Depends on what you mean as experience....

Since I'm taking a few gap years till I apply, I'm using this time to enjoy the things I love while chasing the dream I desire. I've always had a heart for the underprivileged (Nigerian myself). So while I'm taking post-bacc classes, I love going to the Projects, Wards, and other types of government housing and serving people. Even if you grew up in the wealthiest of suburbs, you don't understand the impact you have on a young black kid when they see you chasing a dream deemed unobtainable to them. I highly encourage you to experience being a mentor to someone in these communities. Reminding them they are more than what the media wants to portray them as.
I do plan on volunteering at a ward towards the end of this year. I do have some experience in mentoring youth but this was done in my younger years. In 5th grade I would help out the younger kids with homework after school and in 8th grade I was the teachers helper in health class. Where did I go? I have lost myself. I used to be so active in school activities. Haven't did any mentoring since.

What do you do?
Nothing, lol(trust me I'm laughing the pain away). I'm 19, have a couple job interviews lined up next week. I plan on volunteering once I obtain a job because lord knows I need the money(I feel so selfish). I plan on transferring colleges this year. I plan on doing research next summer. I plan on taking one gap year after graduating to work in a clinical setting and that's about it. I plan so many things I just have to put my plans in action.

I know this may be too much, but I would read them Zane novels my mother used to have on the bookshelf.

Stared at this for 5 minutes because Cam Newton is bae.

@dermocrat88 Your husband my man, tho?!
I need to start reading urban novels again LOL.

@Aquinas I always stole my aunt's Zane books...
It's funny that you mention your ASA feeling like a gang because my school's Caribbean Student Association feels the same way.

Reactions: 3 users
I can't stop reading them though. Once I am done with one book, they will suggest another, and I keep buying them since they are only a dollar, lol! I just finished reading Side Chick Life and Falling for my Side Dude :(

Hey, at least you're reading. Maybe I would have read more growing up if I had books like that instead of The Grapes of Wrath. And that one book where that dude climbed mount everest.

Are you learning anything though? And you better not let your man see that you been reading that stuff. That's an argument you don't want.

I thought I wanted to go straight through, but when I won a prestigious fellowship to go abroad for a year or two medical school was an afterthought.
Enjoy your 20's and build your resume, if you can. So many students underestimate the medical school process. It is very tough to get into medical school. I know so many applicants who are patiently waiting for an interview. Everyone wants to get chosen, but don't want to work on their application to better their chances of being seen. Medical school is a crap shoot for everyone, and there is no formula to get in.

Honestly, I did not think I would have been so successful this cycle. I submitted my primary, let me say it again, MY PRIMARY application in October. Most of my secondaries were submitted the end of October to mid-November. So far, I have received 7 interviews, and I am grateful for these interviews. Thanks to Jah, Selassie for the opportunity to show why I should be given a chance to become a physician. I am still waiting to hear back from some schools.

I felt so defeated, and behind my peers who submitted their applications early July and August. I started my personal statement in late-August and finished it mid-September. Then, I had to write my work and activities. I had help with medschoolcoach for this because time was of the essence! I could not have went through this process without my support team (my squad). Make sure you are mentally prepared, and can live without regrets.

Always ask yourself, if medical school only required the MCAT or GPA or Work and Activities, can I still get an interview and possibly get in? If not, you have work to do. Don't submit, and then have second thoughts of your application. If you do, then why did you apply? If you have money to give away carelessly, please feel free to donate to Dermocrat Medical School GoFundMe page :) or a HBCU scholarship fund ^_^.

Reactions: 3 users
Stared at this for 5 minutes because Cam Newton is bae.

@dermocrat88 Your husband my man, tho?!
I need to start reading urban novels again LOL.

@Aquinas I always stole my aunt's Zane books...
It's funny that you mention your ASA feeling like a gang because my school's Caribbean Student Association feels the same way.

These novels are mindless, and not stimulating, but they are entertaining. When I want to take a break from medical school stuff and work, I just go and read one of the many urban novels I have. Some people love to get drunk, party, smoke, watch games, and play video games. I spend my time reading urban novels that are no more than 250 pages. I also love exploring my city with groupon deals. It takes me a day to finish a book, and I can't go to sleep, until I am finish. I read it on my way to work, during work, at meetings, at lunch, and after work. Albeit, I still struggle with the Verbal section.

Read Side Chick *Mitch* 1, 2, 3, 4 and Your husband, my man. I never hated such main characters in my life. Sometimes on the train home, I am smirking a little bit too hard, until my concentration is broken with, *Okay, everyone what time is it? It is SHOWTIME!!*

Hey, at least you're reading. Maybe I would have read more growing up if I had books like that instead of The Grapes of Wrath. And that one book where that dude climbed mount everest.

Are you learning anything though? And you better not let your man see that you been reading that stuff. That's an argument you don't want.

I am not learning anything from these novels, except side chicks don't know their place, and wants to be a main chick so bad even if it means causing serious damage to someone else. People watch Making of a Murderer, Orange is the New Black, Suits, Scandal (Side Chick Chronicles), How to get away with murder (Con Artist monologues), and Love and Hip Hop series. Why do people watch these mindless shows? It is for entertainment, and entertainment only :).

Well, I am glad that I am single :D. Even if I was not single, he can't tell me what to read o_O. It is on my kindle, and I can just play it off that I am reviewing the inclusion and criteria requirements for my protocols :rofl:

Reactions: 5 users
Nothing, lol(trust me I'm laughing the pain away). I'm 19, have a couple job interviews lined up next week. I plan on volunteering once I obtain a job because lord knows I need the money(I feel so selfish). I plan on transferring colleges this year. I plan on doing research next summer. I plan on taking one gap year after graduating to work in a clinical setting and that's about it. I plan so many things I just have to put my plans in action.

Apply to the Minority Health International Research Training Program to go abroad for free. I did this program during my junior year, and went to Africa for free!

I hope the fellas here a extra bit of good luck. Our black empresses outnumber us 2:1

Reactions: 8 users
I know this may be too much, but I would read them Zane novels my mother used to have on the bookshelf.

Zane fell off! Trust me, I know and read all of her novels. She needs to come out with Addicted 2 or a book about the psychiatrist, Dr. Marcella. I will love that! Clearly, you love those explicit, vivid novels :bookworm:
Instead, read Carl Weber. His books are good.

Zane fell off! Trust me, I know and read all of her novels. She needs to come out with Addicted 2 or a book about the psychiatrist, Dr. Marcella. I will love that! Clearly, you love those explicit, vivid novels :bookworm:
Instead, read Carl Weber. His books are good.
It was just my preteen urges, I read the description and got hooked lol. My mother has Carl Weber too.