Black Monday is upon us

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SteadyEddy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
:scared: Well folks...the day of reckoning is upon us!!! I must admit that I'm wondering who around me :idea: isn't going to make it. I'm about 5% nervous. Leave a thread about how you feel in the last minutes before 12:00 ET. I think it'll be funny to reflect after Thursday. :oops:

Members don't see this ad.

I agree. I was confident all along, until late last night and then I think a little bit of nervousness set in also.

SteadyEddy said:
:scared: Well folks...the day of reckoning is upon us!!! I must admit that I'm wondering who around me :idea: isn't going to make it. I'm about 5% nervous. Leave a thread about how you feel in the last minutes before 12:00 ET. I think it'll be funny to reflect after Thursday. :oops:

That's a little intimidating...who cares about who doesn't match...I personally hope that everyone gets a spot. I have been confident all along, but yesterday and this morning some anxiety has been creeping in :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
30 minutes to go!!!

Good luck to everyone.

shahkg said:
That's a little intimidating...who cares about who doesn't match...I personally hope that everyone gets a spot. I have been confident all along, but yesterday and this morning some anxiety has been creeping in :confused:

I second that..I hope everyone does too. But unfortunately the numbers are against us. I heard there were something like 1300 applicants for 1000 spots. Good luck to everyone.

15 minutes to go!!!

8 minutes to go.

As you can see, I have nothing better to do.

In fact, my brother will videotape me in the last few minutes.

Looks like the email was sent a bit early. Mine said 11:50. Thankfully, it was good news. Good luck to all. Now the really interesting wait begins since I honestly have no clue where on my match list I am going to end up. I will be happy at any of them, so it's kind of a confusing time in terms of what to feel/anticipate/etc.

An FMG who matched!!!!!

I matched too! I didn't mean anything by my comment. Just going by the numbers. JMatt...get at me!!!
Denial said:

Members don't see this ad :)
:laugh: matched, who knows where...but, life is good! :p

Matched.

As far as thursday - I'm Irish, so I foresee things going very well

I matched. All the people in my med school matched this year. Last year, 5 didnt. Good luck to all.

SteadyEddy said:
I matched too! I didn't mean anything by my comment. Just going by the numbers. JMatt...get at me!!!

Right back at you man, now we only need to find out where.

Wow I matched; and on my unbirthday too. Can't wait till Thursday.

Until then,

I am the Great Saphenous!!!

Didn't f*ckin match

shahkg, really sorry to hear that.. good luck scrambling!

congrats to everyone else!

SteadyEddy said:

PLEASE edit this racist title. As if "black" was negative.

Thank yOu

Le_Donald said:

Thank yOu

Black is a negative. You must not live in the US.

For the life of me I cannot understand how every thread into miracously transformed to reflect something entirely off the original topic. What are you guys trying to insinuate here? I beg that no one contributes to this issue and starts another war of words...man, now I'm really considering that move to Canada..
Oh, by the way, congrats to everyone who matched!! 2 more days!!

avgjoe said:
shahkg, really sorry to hear that.. good luck scrambling!

congrats to everyone else!

Thanks dude, appreciate the support!

MD'05 said:

Except for in finance, when "being in the black" is preferable to "being in the red." :)

FMG who matched......oh my sweet jesus.

albinolion said:
FMG who matched......oh my sweet jesus.

And no.....just in case y'all start getting sensitive (ie Black Monday) I am not insinuating that ONLY jesus is sweet......therfore Oh my sweet muhammed, buddha, dalai lama...........

MD'05 said:

EXCUSE me, but you must have never been a slave, or your family been a slave. EXCUSE me, but youre connotations of black being negative are the very thing that make this society non-inclusive. EXCUSE me, while I go vomit and cry because this racism has gotten out of hand in society. EXCUSE me while I be the one voice that tries to change things. I live in the US, and am a proud citizen of this fine nation, thank you. so, EXCUSE me while I say goodbye and don't talk to the likes of you.

Le_Donald said:
EXCUSE me, but you must have never been a slave, or your family been a slave. EXCUSE me, but youre connotations of black being negative are the very thing that make this society non-inclusive. EXCUSE me, while I go vomit and cry because this racism has gotten out of hand in society. EXCUSE me while I be the one voice that tries to change things. I live in the US, and am a proud citizen of this fine nation, thank you. so, EXCUSE me while I say goodbye and don't talk to the likes of you.

geez
I think some people forget that black is also a color, and just a color. It's not always about race dude. I don't see patients getting all angry at me when I ask them if they had black stools. And don't forget, black stools are bad news.
how awkward would it be to live in a society where you can't say the word "black"? hell, my computer monitor is black. ... oh wait, that's not very p.c. .. .i meant my computer monitor is like a gray color, only darker than gray, well not gray at all, the color that is way darker than gray...well it's just the opposite of white.
i think it's time to take the stick out man; your sphincter is getting wound up a lil too tight there.

I honestly hope that you all are joking about this color black thing. I assume so since there is absolutely nothing wrong with the title of this post.

Dude I don't know where you've been all of 4th year but EVERYONE calls it "Black Monday". Get a grip. It's not a race thing.

Le_Donald said:

Thank yOu

Le_Donald said:

Come on!!! You making a big deal out of this. You are not the only Black person in this forum. I am also black. I believe the poster did not mean any harm. U talking about slavery as nothing to do with this. Please, relax ok. Black monday, Dark mondday, etc are all acceptable. This week is suppose to be our week with memories not backbitting. So take care and share the joy with us.
whipple

Dark Monday? That's even worse whipple.

Why is black associated with bad things? I will tell you why. Because of the sterotype historically of black people as being bad. That's why! Promulgating this racist drivel is not very efficacious to promoting one's intelligence, online or otherwise!

My 2 cents, thank you very much!

Le_Donald said:
Dark Monday? That's even worse whipple.

Why is black associated with bad things? I will tell you why. Because of the sterotype historically of black people as being bad. That's why! Promulgating this racist drivel is not very efficacious to promoting one's intelligence, online or otherwise!

My 2 cents, thank you very much!

I guess you have nothing to do that's why you're to anal about this. Nobody is promoting racist idea here so beat it.
whipple

well, i am asian and i give permission to use the color "yellow" as a subsitute for badness in this world.

yes slavery is bad, and lets nor forget this evil deed is still prevalent around the world in sex trade etc in many parts of our world. how about lets focus on the future and prevent more slavery rather then fixating on the past?

Le_Donald said:

Thank yOu

Dude I have met Eddy and he is an African-American, hence he could not have used the term black as a racist slur. Dont jump to conclusions man.

Le_Donald said:

Thank yOu

Eddy why dont you PM this guy and set him straight

dudes, you're being way too sensitive about this. for a minute I thought I was in the peds forum.

Don't feed the trolls guys. It just makes it more difficult to keep the threads on topic (or take a gander at the ridiculous threads that the le Donald has posted elsewhere if you doubt she is a troll or at the very least a bit odd).

Kimberli Cox said:
Don't feed the trolls guys. It just makes it more difficult to keep the threads on topic (or take a gander at the ridiculous threads that the le Donald has posted elsewhere if you doubt she is a troll or at the very least a bit odd).

LeDonald is LeStupid (sorry, couldn't pass it up!)
Congrats to all who matched.
Good Luck to all who scramble...SEVEN spots, hunh? I'm surprised there were so many.

Please imagine me rolling on the floor laughing about this whole thing!!!! I didn't read all the posts and thus never caught on to what was happening until just now. Sometimes (not in the OR), it takes me a minute to get things (actually my mentor admitted to me today that there are some things that he doesn't get...and he's been an attending for almost a decade! :eek: ) Le Donald, I put this to you most simply (everyone sigh for a moment). This is exactly the type of RJJ (you should know who I'm talking about...if you're really Black) stuff that we don't need. I am indeed Black (actually my preferred title...as I really don't understand the meaning of African American...I'm an American). The Tradition of match week is the title Black Monday...the name for the Monday preceding match day...usually Thursday. I meant nothing by what I said. I simply wanted everyone to talk about how they felt during the time leading up to the match. Thats it (LeDeezy)-----> :idea: everyone please wait the bulb to go on...it's funny.
Simply put, I really look forward to being the colleague of these same people that I chat with every day (that's gonna change...I'll be working a lot more in about 3 months). I have a sincere love and respect for alll my brothas and sistas...whatever color...whatever religion...as long as they work hard for the good of the patient. I look forward to the privelege of taking part in the anticipation of the match! It's gonna be a goooooooooooood St. Patty's Day :luck: (please Irishmen...don't take offense ;) Holla!
BEFORE YOU GO!
Can I be honest with you guys...today I was first assist on CEA and I found out just how much I have to learn. I bought Sabiston a few weeks ago, and tried to memorize the steps in the dissection. I remember thinking...man I wouldn't have known that was there (for instance...this guy had a branch coming out of his ICA that was higher up than the attending had EVER seen. If it were me all alone with 1 mute Scrub tech...this guy would be curtains. It was highly educational, humbling, and amusing to have such a privelege of being so close to the REAL ACTION (Kim...you gotta admit that it's much better operating when you're boviing :D ...and not retracting :scared: . And to think...that one day, I will be able to do that surgery with ease. Peace to the future Doctors of America!!!!!! And a special shout out to the future of Surgery :scared:
tripod said:
geez
I think some people forget that black is also a color, and just a color. It's not always about race dude. I don't see patients getting all angry at me when I ask them if they had black stools. And don't forget, black stools are bad news.
how awkward would it be to live in a society where you can't say the word "black"? hell, my computer monitor is black. ... oh wait, that's not very p.c. .. .i meant my computer monitor is like a gray color, only darker than gray, well not gray at all, the color that is way darker than gray...well it's just the opposite of white.
i think it's time to take the stick out man; your sphincter is getting wound up a lil too tight there.

Kimberli Cox said:

A true East coast Surgeon!!! You gotta love the honesty. And I think Le Donald is a guy...ROFL.

I think we should start a new thread (let's keep this one rolling too!) and share some funny cultural experiences that have happened to us over the years. I've got some funny stuff...and I'm sure you guys have something too :thumbup:

SteadyEddy said:
A true East coast Surgeon!!! You gotta love the honesty. And I think Le Donald is a guy...ROFL.

I think we should start a new thread (let's keep this one rolling too!) and share some funny cultural experiences that have happened to us over the years. I've got some funny stuff...and I'm sure you guys have something too :thumbup:

You may be right about L.D. It would be preferable that she (as she claims) be a he, then I wouldn't feel so insulted that one of my sisters believes all of us female surgeons are unattractive and unpleasant.

One of my more recent cultural experiences is finding out that I'm ( as a green eyed blonde WASP) more interested in learning about my BF's culture, language and home country (China, Cantonese) than he is. No so funny ha ha, but interesting nonetheless.

Roux-en-Y said:
LeDonald is LeStupid (sorry, couldn't pass it up!)
Congrats to all who matched.
Good Luck to all who scramble...SEVEN spots, hunh? I'm surprised there were so many.

More than last years (3)....but considering approx 1100 categorical spots this year and only 7 unfilled...it seems like it's a tough year to scramble...best of luck to those who do...

How is this thread still going? How in the world did it degenerate into a racism-themed thread?

Le_Donald said:

EXCUSE me?

[/QUOTE]One of my more recent cultural experiences is finding out that I'm ( as a green eyed blonde WASP) more interested in learning about my BF's culture, language and home country (China, Cantonese) than he is. No so funny ha ha, but interesting nonetheless.[/QUOTE]

Kimberley, I wish my girl friend share the same interest.... :( we have been together for 4 1/2 years, couple matched. nevertheless, i still need to beg her to learn more Chinese, appreciate the food etc. She seems to have her interests in other regions of the world. I hope she doesn't ditch me for an African :scared:

(She is a med student but also runs a non government organization in Africa... that is why I said African.. Don't want it to be misunderstood considering the running theme :) )

Kimberli Cox said:
Of course it is...but Dude... wait until you get your hands on the Argon beam laser. The thrill of the Bovie will be a distant memory! :laugh:

Hey there,
I am with Kimberli in this one. The argon laser is the most fun. I have done about 20 carotids now. Elegant surgery which is why I am headed for Vascular. Darn, I will have to keep my hands off the argon laser! :eek:
njbmd :D