Biomechanics research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MurrayButler

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
We have to do a biomechanics research paper this semester and are brainstorming for good topics....any ideas?

Members don't see this ad.

-Effects of flat feet on gait
-The energy increase needed after a below need amputation (this is what I would do)
-Effects of ankle fusion on gait

Some research topics that seem interesting to me but I don't know if it is feasible with time, money, equip, etc.

-Effects of tibial valgus and varum on gait patterns
-Effects of orthotics in prevention of ankle injuries
-Effects of different footwear (heels, sandals, slippers, sneakers) on gait patterns and force production
-Effects of taping vs ankle braces in jumping

There are so many.

Members don't see this ad :)
We have to do a biomechanics research paper this semester and are brainstorming for good topics....any ideas?

if it is a lit search with the flat feet and gait you may want to make it a little bit more specific and see if there is any research out there to support the orthopod point of view that people grow out of flat feet and they do not need treatment at young ages when there is no pain.

other ideas are:
Hallux limitus/rigidus and gait
rigid cavus foot and gait (pseudoequinus)

I still say BK b/c you can prove how important the feet are and therefore podiatry is. Plus you can add in stats about survival rates of people who have a BK.

I still say BK b/c you can prove how important the feet are and therefore podiatry is. Plus you can add in stats about survival rates of people who have a BK.

That actually is a great research area - we have a DPM at the local VA hospital who is working on a grand scale research that involves survival of BK patients versus Transmet amputees and he goes into full evaluation of their GAIT in addition to the rate of recurring infections of course.

I'd do a comparative phylogenic study between extinct and living members of sub family homininae or somethinglike that.

As a student it would require you not only to regurgitate the abstract thoughts/opinions of another individual (which these type of projects seem to administrate) but it would allow you to reinforce major points of what you already learned in the class and apply it to an unfamiliar topic.

Plus it's always fun to learn a little something outside of the routine.

I'd do a comparative phylogenic study between extinct and living members of sub family homininae or somethinglike that.

As a student it would require you not only to regurgitate the abstract thoughts/opinions of another individual (which these type of projects seem to administrate) but it would allow you to reinforce major points of what you already learned in the class and apply it to an unfamiliar topic.

Plus it's always fun to learn a little something outside of the routine.

ok, if you don't have research suggestions to the OP (biomechanical research) then there's really no need to be cynical towards the other members here. In fact, if you feel that those ideas and have been repeated many times - then why not produce new research and make a difference in this field rather than criticizing everyone else.

Just a thought.

ok, if you don't have research suggestions to the OP (biomechanical research) then there's really no need to be cynical towards the other members here. In fact, if you feel that those ideas and have been repeated many times - then why not produce new research and make a difference in this field rather than criticizing everyone else.

Just a thought.

Oh, that's right, humans are the only ones with feet. Good grief, let's all crawl back into the podiatry box and get back to that old fashioned assembly line thinking, that's what real academics is all about! Besides, there probably is a written rule that only podiatry journals/books count.

Here's my real advice that'll probably be better accepted/understood; go to your upperclassmen buds and ask what they did last year for their project and see if they can give a "helping hand."

The same for residency, if you're in a bind and can't produce a unique presentation or you simply just don't want to, see if there is an old one out there in the "network" to guide you though those tough and trying times.

And, for dessert, might I suggest the "hard-earned applause torte" to fuel the self confidence?

Bon appetite monsieur!

Oh, that's right, humans are the only ones with feet. Good grief, let's all crawl back into the podiatry box and get back to that old fashioned assembly line thinking, that's what real academics is all about! Besides, there probably is a written rule that only podiatry journals/books count.

Here's my real advice that'll probably be better accepted/understood; go to your upperclassmen buds and ask what they did last year for their project and see if they can give a "helping hand."

The same for residency, if you're in a bind and can't produce a unique presentation or you simply just don't want to, see if there is an old one out there in the "network" to guide you though those tough and trying times.

And, for dessert, might I suggest the "hard-earned applause torte" to fuel the self confidence?

Bon appetite monsieur!

I think he is saying to use the old test questions to do the research project.

Tisk, Tisk - Wiskers. I thought you knew to only use them as a study tool and not to let them do the work for you.:laugh: :love:

Bon appetite monsieur!

the network theory never gets old whiskers

Just for whiskers, here's a start to the research haha

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/allfours/

more genetic defects coupled with environmental factors but still....it would be interesting to do a gait analysis on one that has walked on all fours their entire life.

effects of foot pain and falls in older adults
Steven Lord does work in this area, among many others, looking at gait characteristics in people prone to falling