Biomechanics help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DannyPhantom113

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

Was wondering if anyone had any good resources for learning biomechanics? Specifically right now I need help with getting the number for RCSP, but just any general help would be great (feel free to private message me)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello all,

Was wondering if anyone had any good resources for learning biomechanics? Specifically right now I need help with getting the number for RCSP, but just any general help would be great (feel free to private message me)

I know you will NEVER need to use this in practice....ever

Reactions: 1 users
Have the patient march up and down in place and tell them to stop. Measure RCSP with reference lines of the bisection of the calcaneus and vertical. Normal is 2-3 degrees valgus.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
All you need to know is does the heel look like its in slight valgus? If so, that is normal. Excessive valgus or any type of varus is abnormal.

Also, the rearfoot should slightly invert with heel raise.

That's about all you need to know.

Reactions: 4 users
Hello all,

Hi DannyPhantom113,

Biomechanics can be a tricky subject to learn because of its abstract nature. Consider Clinical Biomechanics of the Lower Extremities by Valmassy. In addition, you can follow Kevin Kirby's public page where he posts free, short and concise videos of basic lower extremity biomechanics concepts here: Kevin A. Kirby, DPM .

To directly address your concern, RCSP is the Resting Calcaneal Stance Position, the stance position of the calcaneus in relation to the perpendicular axis of the weight-bearing surface when the foot is relaxed. You can consider this as the "end product". This measurement is not calculated, but measured. Often it can be used in comparision with the "calculated" compensation of the foot to determine how the foot is compensating.

Of note, NCSP is the Neutral Calcaneal Stance Position, a stance position of the calcaneus relative to the perpendicular axis of the weight-bearing surface when the "STJ is in neutral position". This is a measured position, but it can be reaffirmed by a calculation (tibial influence + STJ neutral position); [calculated STJNP= ((Inv+Ev)/3)-Ev; or can measure STJNP]
Knowing NCSP along with FF/RF relationship can help you calculate/"predict" how the foot will compensate.

If the calculated end position of the foot after compensation is equivalent to RCSP, the foot can be considered "fully compensated".
Generally, if the calculated end position of the foot after compensation is not equivalent to RCSP, the foot can be considered "partially compensated".

Once something is partially compensated, it's possible to deduct from clinical findings why the foot isn't "fully compensating" (ex. muscle spasticity, movement disorders, etc...).

I hope this helps!

Last edited: