Biggest MCAT --> Step 1 improvement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BrisketAttack

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those interested, please post your MCAT and your step 1 score.

Mine
MCAT: 27
Step 1: 257

note: I realize this is a congratulatory/self-serving thread, but I am also genuinely curious. Please contribute if you feel compelled to do so...

Members don't see this ad.

MCAT 34

Step 1 235

Last 300 questions of UW74%, total cumulative 71%, all questions were unused, random, timed.. I was expecting 245 - 255, so i was quite disappointed when the scores came back. My score isn't impressive, but i didn't slam shut and lock any doors.... just closed them a bit!

More than anything, i am happy and not stressed. Peds out patient rocks and I have weekends off. For those who have not taken the test, there is light at the end of the tunnel!

peace

Members don't see this ad :)
MCAT 1st time: 17
MCAT 2nd time: 19
Step 1: 225

Anyone can do extremely well on this exam. It just takes a lot of dedication.

mcat 29
step 1 260+

anything is possible if you do study hard enough, or don't study hard enough.

These are impressive increases. Did you find that you studied much harder for Step 1 compared to the MCAT? My scores are pretty equal I think so I won't post them on the improvement thread. I felt like I studied more intensely for Step 1, but I was more prepared prior to studying for the MCAT.

Reactions: 1 user
30-->246

i remember studying my butt off for the mcat. i think step 1 is a more studiable test -- i.e. hard work can really make things happen (i believe this for med school in general moreso than undergrad at least in my case) vs mcat more of an intelligence thing

These are impressive increases. Did you find that you studied much harder for Step 1 compared to the MCAT? My scores are pretty equal I think so I won't post them on the improvement thread. I felt like I studied more intensely for Step 1, but I was more prepared prior to studying for the MCAT.

I studied really hard for both, but I had a much better handle on what I was doing when I studied for step 1. I think after 2 years of med school, we've become really good at taking big-time tests, something that I wasn't prepared for when I took the MCAT.

I did study harder for step 1. Much harder. Plus, with the MCAT, there was just this sense that the test was too much for me. I don't know why it felt this way, but it just seemed that a great score was impossible. My highest score on an MCAT practice test was 22. When I got my 27, I was overjoyed because I knew it was enough to get into medschool.

With step 1, everything just seemed more familiar, which translated into a much better score (than my MCAT).

Mcat- 23 and 24
usmle 1- 239

Studied hard for both, but step 1 I studied the right way... I tried to learn the material well the first time and was much more organized with how I did it. Mcat, as soon as I finished chemistry, biochem,ect. I forgot it. Then i had to relearn with all the timed reading that goes with mcat... I just couldnt get it. Thinking back I probably could have pulled a 28-30 if I did it the right way, but it doesnt matter anymore.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
mcat 1st time 21
mcat 2nd time 21
usmle step 1 262/99

Thank you for posting. Your post brought the biggest smile to my face, and i was feeling pretty stressed with the exam in 6 days. You're freaking awesome!!!! :thumbup:

I honestly don't believe this one. Not to call you a liar, I just can't believe it. Do you have serious difficulty with math and got a 4 on PS or something?

i got a 7 in phs 8 in bio and 6 in verbal

then 6 in phs 8 in bio 7 in verbal

i hated that fkn test... imo if you are bad standardized test taker but a very disciplined/motivated studier, it is easy to break 250 on step 1

now my little brother got 31 or so on mcat... so will be interesting to see how he does on step 1. he is naturally smart, whereas I have to work hard -many hours.

Definately appreciate this thread. I scored a 27 on the MCAT and hopefully I'll be able to post a 240+ score this time next year. Thanks for the motivation.

MCAT: 35 (11V 12P 12B)
Step 1: 263/99

Wasn't this thread about having the LOWEST MCAT score yet the highest Step 1?

Why are brainacs with 35 MCAT scores posting?

Wasn't this thread about having the LOWEST MCAT score yet the highest Step 1?

Why are brainacs with 35 MCAT scores posting?

Yeah! What he said!

Next thing I know, you'll be letting me know you're better looking than me and have a hotter girlfriend (complete with thumbnail pic to prove it).

Leave this thread for the sub-20 MCATer with the 272 step 1 (you know you exist, just spill the beans already!)

yeah, it actually is motivation probably for some people. My dean in med school said "your mcat score wouldn't have predicted your (usmle) score". Yeah? So what? Are people not allowed to change...to improve? I find it interesting how so many people find it within their purview to tell you what you can and cannot do. I had another med school I was applying to basically tell me to find another field. F*ck people who say what you can and cannot do. :)

I know the feeling. Everyone told me I'd never become a doctor. Now I'm in medical school, and I have to beat the men off with a stick due to my ridiculous beauty ;)

lol, i still am tied for highest MCAT on this thread... others have already topped my Step 1, so I wasn't caring about that

I think you missed blz's joke - this thread is about a LOW MCAT turning into a HIGH Step I. You posted a high MCAT & high Step I (which is out of place in this thread), and blz followed your lead and posted the same MCAT with a higher Step I as an ironical "bigger improvement" than yours, which was funny.

I think you missed blz's joke - this thread is about a LOW MCAT turning into a HIGH Step I. You posted a high MCAT & high Step I (which is out of place in this thread), and blz followed your lead and posted the same MCAT with a higher Step I as an ironical "bigger improvement" than yours, which was funny.

:thumbup:

I'm getting ready for the biggest DROP.

MCAT 41S 99.9th percentile
Step 1, probably sub 250

23---->247 Didn't try very hard for the MCAT, but I have dedicated myself and did the best I could on USMLE. I am VVVVERYYYYY grateful and could not ask for anything more.

I wonder how many of the people on this thread really studied even close to their potential for the mcat. it seems to me like this thread gives false hope that anyone can get a 250 if they study hard enough. What seems to be more true is that this is a list of a bunch of really smart dudes were really lazy as hell studying for the mcat.

i know quite a few ppl who studied their ASS off for step1 and didn't come close to the scores in this thread.

For those who made the jump from 20s MCAT to a high Step 1 score, I've posted their threads that they each wrote about their study plan. This narrows it down for me and shows who's advice I really should listen to. For those I couldn't find, please post it here so we can see how you studied!

BrisketAttack: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=6807483&postcount=495

Mathemagician: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=6908934&postcount=670

evenflowcarter: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=6889862&postcount=598

opb: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=6941843&postcount=723

SOUNDMAN: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=6640516&postcount=204

BillyRubinstein: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=6935790&postcount=717

Reactions: 2 users
I wonder how many of the people on this thread really studied even close to their potential for the mcat. it seems to me like this thread gives false hope that anyone can get a 250 if they study hard enough. What seems to be more true is that this is a list of a bunch of really smart dudes were really lazy as hell studying for the mcat.

i know quite a few ppl who studied their ASS off for step1 and didn't come close to the scores in this thread.

that's correct for me, at least in terms of preparation. i didnt' put in nearly as much time for the mcat. i was much better prepared for step 1.

I studied much harder for step 1, but it was not because I was lazy during MCAT prep. Instead, I was dealing with some family problems. However, I think if I had totally dedicated myself to the MCAT I could not have scored as well (proportionally) as I did on step 1. Step 1 just made more sense from the get go.