BOTH Best way to go about scheduling

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

schwasted589

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My school is doing something where we have our main classes ending 2nd week of April. At that point until the 2nd week of May, we just have OMM and another clinical course. This is to give us additional time to study for the COMLEX. Our deadline is June 9, giving us a little over 3 weeks of completely dedicated studying and a little over 6 of studying with just 2 classes.

As of now, I plan to take both the COMLEX and USMLE (probably the USMLE 1st and COMLEX 3 days after). I was going to go back home the last month (may-june) and take the test there instead of school. I'm a little torn about what to do...since I was planning on getting married the Friday after our deadline.

I'm worried that if I go home, I'll have to go to some pre-wedding stuff (1x a week 1-2x total for cultural stuff) and since I was already taking the exams a week or so early I want some time off to relax before rotations/recuperate before the wedding ,so I'm scheduling mine for the last few days of May (29-30, depending on the dates offered), I'm really screwing myself over.

If I do go with this study plan, is that enough time for both exams?

Everything I've read prior to posting this makes it sound like a majority of people went super hard for 6 weeks (10-12 hour study days) with no days off. Is it really unwise to maybe take the evening off 1x a week for wedding stuff? Or did you guys adopt the 7 day study plan as well?

I know this all sounds pretty lame, but most people I know are waiting till the last possible day to take the exam so I don't want to completely put myself at a disadvantage. I've been following pathoma and annotating First Aid with my classes and plan on start USMLERX during the winter.

I'm a low-mid B student if that matters.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
To do well on the tests, it is best to do those 6 weeks with no interruptions. Taking a day off per week is a lot. If you must do this schedule, try to study on those days before and after your other obligations.

To do well on the tests, it is best to do those 6 weeks with no interruptions. Taking a day off per week is a lot. If you must do this schedule, try to study on those days before and after your other obligations.

6 weeks? Well...the other option was to take the test at exactly 5 weeks of studying (from mid april to end of May)...I don't know if that's enough time though. That way I'd be done with the studying and could relax before the wedding/rotations. I don't know if that's shooting myself in the foot though. I plan on starting studying in January.

Right now it's either 5 weeks exactly of studying or taking it a week later and adding 6 days to the study period.

yes,To do well on the tests, it is best to do those 6 weeks with no interruptions. Taking a day off per week is a lot. If you must do this schedule, try to study on those days before and after your other obligations.thanks
ALQOgA