Best way to get interviews in proximity to each other?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jamezuva

Have Faith
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there any tips on how to get interviews in the same region at the same time? All I can think of is to politely ask other programs in the region you applied to when you get an interview to one. Anything else we can do about this?? Thx

Members don't see this ad.

apply as early as you can and do your best to schedule interviews in the same area around the same time. find out when the programs you're interested in interview. if you're reasonably certain that you'll get a bunch of interviews in the same area, set aside a chunk of time solely for interviews there. e.g., i set aside 3 weeks last year to interview solely in california.

My friends found that few cases where programs not willing to work with you in coordinating schedules with interviews. For some people, going from East Coast to West Coast multiple times is not an option. I cancelled one of my interviews purely on the basis that I couldn't afford to fly all the way back to California again....my loss. Their loss too. :)

it definitely happens that some programs are very unhelpful in coordinating interviews in the same geographical area in the same time frame. i would recommend reconsidering even interviewng at those programs because if they're crappy to you as an applicant, how will they treat you as a resident?

When you say to apply early, when is that? September 2nd? Will it really make that much of a differance if if you wait till like September 16th? Just curious.

undecided05 said:
When you say to apply early, when is that? September 2nd? Will it really make that much of a differance if if you wait till like September 16th? Just curious.

I'm curious about that too. Also, generally when is the latest a residency program will send out interview invitations? Early December?

i think anytime in september should get you a good set of dates, assuming you make the initial cut/round of invites. IIRC, most programs should send out invites by late november/early december (some programs wait for the dean's letter to come in before sending out invites).

Do not sit on the more competitive places for interviews. For example, I got an e-mail offer for an interview from a "prestigious" program at the end of the day (couldn't check my e-mail during the day), and when I called the next day at noon they had filled up many of the spots I would have liked.

One other prestigious program e-mailed me very late in the season, after I had already scheduled a cluster of interviews in a totally different geographical area. They expected me to rearrange 3-4 other interviews to come to the one interview date they could offer me! I thought that was uncool. I said I would have to check with the other programs, and the next day I got a rejection e-mail from the prestigious program! Ha! Whatever. :rolleyes:

I agree with Skrubz. Applying and traveling costs a ton, and programs should know that. If a program isn't willing to help you come up with a solution, scratch them off your list. There are tons of other great choices.

Do most programs offer interviews on multiple days of the week? (ie MWF) or do most only have interviews set for Fri/Sat?

undecided05 said:
Do most programs offer interviews on multiple days of the week? (ie MWF) or do most only have interviews set for Fri/Sat?

There is NO way that most only interview on Fri/Sat...that would mean that you could probably interview at something like 4-5 programs total :thumbdown:

Jamezuva said:
There is NO way that most only interview on Fri/Sat...that would mean that you could probably interview at something like 4-5 programs total :thumbdown:

agreed. actually, some programs in the same city/area will have interviews on differing days of the week (stanford anesthesia interviewing on tues/thurs and UCSF anesthesia interviewing mon/wed or wed/fri, IIRC) specifically so that applicants interviewing at both might be able to schedule them during the same trip.