Best way to get idea of Dentist Salaries in different cities?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StilgarMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So likely moving in 2023, and my partner is a dentist. Wanted to know what is the most effective way to get an idea for dentist salaries in particular areas. Glassdoor has some options, but I'm concerned its not representive. Is there some definitive resource for this kind of thing?

Members don't see this ad.

This might give you an idea but it will vary by corp vs associate vs practice owner
That's like a good start, but honestly not even close to what I'm making as a dentist in California. If you own your own business those averages you see on the website are not representative at all.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
So likely moving in 2023, and my partner is a dentist. Wanted to know what is the most effective way to get an idea for dentist salaries in particular areas. Glassdoor has some options, but I'm concerned its not representive. Is there some definitive resource for this kind of thing?
Well is your partner going to be an associate or try to be an owner? Also if you go into a larger city expect the salary to be much lower.

Well is your partner going to be an associate or try to be an owner? Also if you go into a larger city expect the salary to be much lower.

She is leaning toward wanting to be an associate, I think that may change in the future but at the moment she is overwhelmed enough with just working. We're actually considering California, and the sky high COL + Lower dental salary on average (for associates) is making me feel like its unwise. Atm she is an Associate in NYC, at a few different offices.

The ADA probably has some stuff that could help. I know they have information by state. Could start there, helps if she’s a member. The problem you’ll find is that there are wide ranges within a city. Dentist income is much more variable within a city compared to physicians (when comparing apples to apples). Generally speaking for associates, the more desirable area to live in the lower the pay per time unit. Exceptions obviously exist.

Reactions: 1 users
She is leaning toward wanting to be an associate, I think that may change in the future but at the moment she is overwhelmed enough with just working. We're actually considering California, and the sky high COL + Lower dental salary on average (for associates) is making me feel like its unwise. Atm she is an Associate in NYC, at a few different offices.
yup California is not a great place.

In general, dental income is not really hugely different as an associate unless you go to tiny cities. expect 5-600$/day as a new grad depending on her skill level. but she should know this stuff already

It's not always about the salary. How about longterm goals? It's easy to say go practice in Alaska and make alot of money, but are you going to be happy in Alaska? Desirable areas tend to have lower dentist income (on average, but not always), but they are desirable for a reason. How about the quality of schools if you have kids. What is the business climate for a particular region. What are the political tendencies for a particular area?

If your end goal is practice ownership. Well .... it takes years and years to develop your practice. If you start in one area of the country and then decide to move .... then you will need to start all over.

So. It's not always about the money.

It's not always about the salary. How about longterm goals? It's easy to say go practice in Alaska and make alot of money, but are you going to be happy in Alaska? Desirable areas tend to have lower dentist income (on average, but not always), but they are desirable for a reason. How about the quality of schools if you have kids. What is the business climate for a particular region. What are the political tendencies for a particular area?

If your end goal is practice ownership. Well .... it takes years and years to develop your practice. If you start in one area of the country and then decide to move .... then you will need to start all over.

So. It's not always about the money.

Obviously its not all about salary, but her quality of life is definitely influenced by the ridiculous debt NYU saddles all of its graduates with. We'll be trying to strike the middle ground for our careers and cost of living essentially. I was looking to see whether there are well regarded resources on pay across regions, as this is obviously a factor for a young couple trying to start a family.

Obviously its not all about salary, but her quality of life is definitely influenced by the ridiculous debt NYU saddles all of its graduates with. We'll be trying to strike the middle ground for our careers and cost of living essentially. I was looking to see whether there are well regarded resources on pay across regions, as this is obviously a factor for a young couple trying to start a family.
she went to NYU, practiced in NYC and is considering moving to Cali?

I think this path will not be favorable to your families financial goals. Is she on IBR?

she went to NYU, practiced in NYC and is considering moving to Cali?

I think this path will not be favorable to your families financial goals. Is she on IBR?

Currently I don't know, I think she isn't paying anything just yet cause of the current interest freeze, but she will likely pay a bunch that she's sitting on once that lifts. Also she is here in NYC because of me - if it were her solo, she would have gone back to her home midwest state after finishing. Cali is likewise a career move related to me - if I match at one of the UCs for instance.

This can give you a rough idea but like everyone is saying more desirable = lower pay. That doesn't mean less desirable is out in the cornfields somewhere. Where I live a productive dentist can make $180-$230k working a healthy 4 days a week, have fancy restaurants and luxury hotels/dealerships within a 20 minute drive.

View attachment 345600

This is a great map, thanks for sharing. That Delaware situation is wild. We're also considering Philly strongly, so maybe we can live somewhere she can commute to Delaware from.