Best USMLE online review course...for a practicing physician who will never again take the exam.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDtraveler

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's a physician asking advice from medical students. I'm a practicing anesthesiologist and pain medicine physician and I developed, call it a midlife crisis if you will, a desire to relearn everything I've forgotten since medical school. I took USMLE 1 back in 1996 when it was a 2 day paper and pencil exam. Amazing what you forget over time.

Can anyone tell me what is the best review course that will help me relearn what I've forgotten? Since I'm not taking the exam, I'm just looking for the most efficient way to review the basic sciences all over again. So basically a good online lecture series is what I need. Qbanks are much less important, though I guess a good way to test myself.

Thanks a lot

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Actually I started using boards and beyond yesterday and absolutely love it. Great for review of basic sciences for a physician who has forgotten it all. Whether it is high yield enough for USMLE prep I can't really say, but it is perfect for my purposes. Especially useful is the variable speed play back at 1.25X, 1.5X and 1.75X which is quite a time saver. They also have 2X speed but that's too fast for me.

Thanks again to everyone for their input.

IS this an audio lesson series? I am the same age as OP; having taken my first Step1 about that time in paper and pencil. I must admit that my learning experience and scores are much better with computer simulated exams; after having all the audio technology available.
Might I recommend www.medpod101.com?
and appolo audiobooks.
I have been using Boards and Beyond for two weeks and love it so far.

It's also MUCH cheaper than DIT.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

It's video lecture. Someone is narrating while you read flashcards with ocaisional diagrams and illustrations. It's worth looking at a few of their sample lectures to see if you like it. You can probably listen while driving without looking at the flashcards and you'll still benefit from it.

If you like to passively learn then something like Kaplan videos or Boards and Beyond (my preference) will be a nice review. I'd buy the latest First Aid to flip through and use as an outline (it's what 99.9% of med student use).

If you want to actively learn, I'd suggest doing Uworld questions. They cover almost everything you need to know, and it's the gold standard for test prep. You might get frustrated by missing lots of questions (like lysosomal storage diseases) but their explanations are usually very in-depth and are sufficient to relearn the material (plus they have excellent drawings/pictures/histo).