Best strategy for reading on OAT?

student121

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, can somebody give me some pointers for doing the reading part on the OAT. I took the Kaplan class already but I'm not confident if their strategy works. When I was taking the test I was using their strategy and just straight up reading the passages. That got me realllly stressed out and I waisted a lot of time. I got a 230 on my reading from the last test I took and got above 310 for all other subjects. In the end I got an overall 290 because my reading pulled me down. Please help me...........

Members don't see this ad.

student121 said:
Hello, can somebody give me some pointers for doing the reading part on the OAT. I took the Kaplan class already but I'm not confident if their strategy works. When I was taking the test I was using their strategy and just straight up reading the passages. That got me realllly stressed out and I waisted a lot of time. I got a 230 on my reading from the last test I took and got above 310 for all other subjects. In the end I got an overall 290 because my reading pulled me down. Please help me...........

??? Read faster :rolleyes:???

Just kidding

Yeah, Kaplan is great for some not for others. One thing that has helped some people I have worked with (When I was teaching for Kap MCAT, so a little diff stratagey but still) was to read the first sentence of each paragraph. These are usually enough so that you know the general topic or key-words in each. Then look at the first question and you should be able to look back pretty quickly and find the answer.

I don't know of anyone who has done this for the OAT, but it worked for some people on the MCAT. Try it on a practice test and see if it helps. :thumbup:

For the paper exam, I skimmed the passages first and highlighted a couple words in each paragraph, just so I could easily see what the topic of each was. It helped my spatially orient myself to the passage so finding the specific area for each question was easier. Using this method on the OAT left me enough time to review all my answers.

When I practiced with TopScore CD, I just jumped right in to the first question and skimmed the passage looking for the question's key word. At first, I tried to read through the passage first, but I always ran out of time. I also tried jotting down the keyword/phrase for each paragraph (they were numbered in TopScore, so this was easy), but ultimately the diving in method worked best for me. I don't know if the computerized OAT RC section is set up the same way, where you can scroll through the passage with the question in front of you or if the paragraphs are numbered.

Good luck!

I received a 400 score on the Readin Comp

Time management is key. Make sure u have been measuring how long it takes you to complete each passage.5 points :

1 . Try to get through the harder passage 1st. What is harder ? - that is for you to decide- If there is a lot of scientific jargon and you are not very comfortable with the topic in the passage- get that done 1st.

2. TRUST YOURSELF - if you are reading the questions and feel that you know the answer to the questions without having to refer back to the passage - by all means tick that answer and then when you have time, you can come back to check the answer through the passage. For example, in my OAT I had a passage on the body and aging - since I had completed a course on the "Physiological aspects of aging" - I knew the answer and didn't waste time trying to confirm the answer going back to the passage.

3. SKIM not READ. Skim to make sure you understand the jest of each para - If I remember correctly, Kaplan stresses this as well.

4. Read the Questions 1st - so you know what to be looking for in the passage. break up the questions in digestable chunks i.e. -read 4 questions and then go to the passage - MOST OF THE QUESTIONS (75%) are laid out chronologically so that the 1st 4 questions will be answered before the last 8 questions.

5. TRUST YOUR 1st instinct - for those questions that you are short on time and have to make and educated guess - always trust your 1st instinct as to what the answer may be

Hope that helps

Good Luck

Members don't see this ad :)
kaostonite said:
I received a 400 score on the Readin Comp

Time management is key. Make sure u have been measuring how long it takes you to complete each passage.5 points :

1 . Try to get through the harder passage 1st. What is harder ? - that is for you to decide- If there is a lot of scientific jargon and you are not very comfortable with the topic in the passage- get that done 1st.

2. TRUST YOURSELF - if you are reading the questions and feel that you know the answer to the questions without having to refer back to the passage - by all means tick that answer and then when you have time, you can come back to check the answer through the passage. For example, in my OAT I had a passage on the body and aging - since I had completed a course on the "Physiological aspects of aging" - I knew the answer and didn't waste time trying to confirm the answer going back to the passage.

3. SKIM not READ. Skim to make sure you understand the jest of each para - If I remember correctly, Kaplan stresses this as well.

4. Read the Questions 1st - so you know what to be looking for in the passage. break up the questions in digestable chunks i.e. -read 4 questions and then go to the passage - MOST OF THE QUESTIONS (75%) are laid out chronologically so that the 1st 4 questions will be answered before the last 8 questions.

5. TRUST YOUR 1st instinct - for those questions that you are short on time and have to make and educated guess - always trust your 1st instinct as to what the answer may be

Hope that helps

Good Luck

The most important thing is to recognize what method is good for YOU. After getting advice from this forum, you should do some practice tests and really try to pick out what works for you. To each his/her own, as the saying goes.

For example, I too received a score of 400 on reading comprehension. However, my methods were somewhat different from the post above.

1) Skimming all the passages to find the hardest would be a waste of time for me. It'd make me anxious and nervous, and I'd spend too much time on this.

2) I confirmed every answer before going on to the next passage. I find going back to check answers takes more time than if you had just comfirmed immediately (i.e. you'd know exactly where to check, but if you went back later, you'd have to re-familiarize yourself with the passage.) But...that's only because I am speedy and have never not had enough time to finish properly.

3) Practical advice. I skim AND remember the structure of the passage so I'll know roughly where to find answers which reduces searching time. However, don't skim too much as you do need to understand some stuff. When I did the test, I usually knew the answers right away (or narrowed it down to 2), and only went back to confirm. I think if you are always looking back trying to root out the answer (i.e. can't answer any questions right away after reading the passage) this takes up precious time. I never make marks on my passages because a) it never seems to help me, and b) it takes me too much time.

4) I have never been able to take tests this way, but I know many people who do. If I read the questions first, it makes me read less well...I know this is probably badly expressed on my part. Basically, I just can't read the questions first and I believe it is actually a negative if I do. TONS of people do this, and it'll probably work for you, but I'm just trying to demonstrate that you must search for methods that work for you.

5) Good advice, although it is easier said than done, lol.

Please note that I am not criticizing the previous poster. I'm just trying to show that even though we had different methods, we got the same score. FIND OUT WHAT WORKS FOR YOU!!

Also, 230 is really low compared to your other scores. Perhaps you don't read particularly well in general? If this is the case, I would suggest increasing the amount of daily reading you do - newspapers, magazines (NOT sports- or fashion-related ones, but mags with decent articles), and even fiction books. This will help you read faster at the very least. Personally, I read a lot outside of schoolwork, especially newspapers which I think will teach you how to skim BUT get the important points. I've also taken a lot of humanities (LOTS of required readings) and done above-average amounts of reading for my sciences (because I don't go to classes much, lol). So, I am used to reading both science and non-science material. At the very least, reading a variety of material will make you comfortable with the whole entire concept of reading and understanding foreign material from the get-go.

Basically, what I'm trying to get across is that if you don't read well, or don't understand much of what you read, THIS is your main problem and trying to discern the best "methods" (i.e. read questions first, highlighting major topic points, etc) won't really help you.

Once again, I'm sorry if I insulted you, but given your decent scores of 310+ in other areas, it made me suspicious.

I also made a 400 on the RC and agree with caliente in that you might just need more practice reading. If I were you, I would try to get my hands on scientific magazines or optometry magazines and read articles from those. Also, something that helped me was to not worry about the details of the passages. For example, when a scientific word that I did not recognize was in a sentence, I did not waste my time worrying about what it meant. I think the key is to SKIM, SKIM, SKIM! Good luck!