Coursework & Fieldwork Best Resources for Learning Anatomy/Physiology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bokonomy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm planning to take anatomy (and maybe physiology?) in the summer, so I'm going to try to get a bit of a head start on them. Is there any particular book/app/etc that you recommend for each? Thanks! (I've seen some other forums mention things, but they're more referring to med school. I'm taking it for my pre-reqs).

Members don't see this ad.

I really like Netter. The pictures are great for identifying. They also have flashcards for purchase for people that prefer to study that way. There is also Anatomy Coloring Book for people that are tactile learners.

Reactions: 1 user
I really like Netter. The pictures are great for identifying. They also have flashcards for purchase for people that prefer to study that way. There is also Anatomy Coloring Book for people that are tactile learners.
Thanks. I'm debating on the coloring book because I can draw decently, so I figure I might do better drawing (work on my anatomy and drawing skills at once!).

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks. I'm debating on the coloring book because I can draw decently, so I figure I might do better drawing (work on my anatomy and drawing skills at once!).
Drawing is definitely the way to go then!

I think the coloring books are a great way to get you started on anatomy, but as you go along in the course, I'm sure you will draw out a lot of anatomical models, which is really helpful! I would also bring a small white board with me to school everyday to draw out some of the anatomy and physiology. I attached a link of PAL which is place where you can study anatomical structures and models that will be on lab.

http://wps.aw.com/bc_pal_lms/?itcc0509

For physiology, there are also books to help with that, I personally drew these mechanism more than getting a coloring book. I also attached a link to Armando's videos, which were SUPER helpful when I misunderstood something in physiology. I always went to his videos because I loved the drawings he made, but I will note that he does explain some of the mechanisms a bit further than what you might need to learn, but they are still really helpful.

https://www.youtube.com/user/armandohasudungan

Hope this helps! Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
While studying exercise physiology in undergrad, every time my professor wanted to take an "easy day," she would pull up a series of khan academy videos and let us watch them in lieu of a traditional lecture. Khan academy can take an hour worth of lecture material and put it into a 10 minute video that you will more than likely understand on a much deeper and more practical level than the actual lecture. There is a tremendous amount of both elementary and fairly advanced anatomy and physiology topics covered by khan academy that works incredibly well as supplements and I'm fairly certain that you can find them all either on YouTube or some other free video streaming site.

Good luck and knock it out!

Reactions: 1 users
Very helpful stuff, guys. Thanks! :woot: