Best President for Podiatry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Who do you think will be the best president/vice president for Podiatry?

• McCain/Palin

Votes: 37 56.9%
  • Obama/Biden

Votes: 22 33.8%
  • Selma Hayeck

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • Shakira

Votes: 4 6.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Unfortunately, you can't really stop companies from buying materials/products/labor from foreign nations. We can tax imported goods, but that still does fairly little since the cost of goods/labor/materials is just sooo much cheaper in some other nations that have low/no minimum wage laws. That is largely why factory assembly workers, farm workers, telephone/internet customer service reps, etc are often outsourced...

discovery.jpg
:(

...Both US political parties essentially agree that students/immigrants who are allowed to enter should have promise or needed skills that will help America. However, as a free nation, we will generally try to assist people fleeing communist nations (Cuba, Korea, etc) and may grant them US resident status. While both US parties give lip service to borders and immigration control, the republicans are generally more strict and will focus significantly more funding on those issues than democrats will, though.

IMO, US citizens should try to buy domestic products (cars, clothes, etc) as often as possible to keep the economy strong. It's just common sense to keep our money here (this is also why war is costly... not only the costs of fuel and technology... but also troops spending US$ abroad). In the last 20yrs, the increase in US foreign car owners and the marketing tricks of foreign autos (Toyota, Nissan, etc) that are "assembled in the US" has been really hurting our economy because a car/truck is a major investment that the majority of American adults will purchase at least a few of in their lifetime. However, interest in domestic hybrid vehicles may help the US auto industry recover, so our technologies may overcome cheaper labors abroad.

"Buying American" doesn't mean that you have to settle for subpar products or rediculously expensive products, and outsourcing some cheap, unskilled labor is really not the a terrible thing so long as the US keeps its citizens educated, skilled, and working hard. We can outsource some cheap unskilled labor as long as other countries need to keep buying our expensive skilled labor. US engineers, doctors, PhDs, etc are always in demand all over the world - for both the innovative technologies they create and the services they provide. For example, you will see that US engineers are hired for high high salaries to teach mid east countries how to use their resources, but a foreign trained MD who wants to practice in the US is questioned and must pass our boards, prove his credentials, etc.

...In the end, I think the US economy will be just fine regardless of who wins this election, and even someone who is naive on foreign/military policies won't start WW3 since there are just too many checks and balances in place within the US government (secretaries, cabinet advisors, congress, depts, military politics, etc). You will notice that all the "issues" (war, economy, etc) always become much more pressing and critical around election time. It's a media circus, and esp when the outgoing president was a republican, the TV/print news companies (mostly democratically biased) will tend to make mountains out of molehills.
In the long term, the US is the biggest exporter of food in the world, the US has plenty of clean fresh water, and an educated+literate population that will continue to develop innovative technologies (efficient farming, clean energy, military, etc). Fortunately, we also have a very strong army to protect our resources - unlike some other major food exporters like (Australia, Canada, etc) who you may see under pressure from starving nations' military forces in the fairly near future. Many parts of the world are getting overpopulated. You can't drink oil and eat money when your rivers are dried up and polluted and food exporting nations no longer have enough to sell. Overpopulated eastern "new superpowers" like China are pretty much mirages IMO... they have glaring overpopulation, pollution, human rights, and education issues that the US is just not facing to any great extent. We are very fortunate. If our economy was ever in critical danger, we could just raise food prices, but we try to avoid that since it would cause starvation and possibly wars over food.
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/30/business/worldbusiness/30trade.html

In most of the doctors parking lots I've seen lots of Lexus/Mercedes/BMW/Audi. Awesome cars IMO. If I was wealthy enough and was going to buy a luxury car, I sure as hell would not get a Chrysler/Dodge/Ford Pinto.

Members don't see this ad.

I find it hard to understand how anyone who is aspiring to become a Podiatrist, or any other type of physician, could vote for Obama. His policies will ruin our profession, and we will all end up working for the government. We all know how efficiently the government works, after this whole disaster in the past few weeks. To blame the Bush administration for the economic collapse is what Obama would like for you to do. The fact of the matter is the Democrats have been in control of Congress for the past 2 years and it is THEIR policies that have run our economy into the ground. If you don't believe me, do your own research. To blame the Republicans because Obama wants you to, that's easy. To learn what really happened takes more work.

Also for clarity's sake, as far as Obama's economy plan goes....
Under his proposed plan of the minute (since it constantly changes)
If you are single and make $42,000 a year, you are set to see an increase in taxes since Obama intends to ELIMINATE THE BUSH TAX CUTS. So when he says he "won't raise your taxes," this is a play on words. He will eliminate the Bush tax cuts, bringing back up your taxes to what they were beforehand.
If you are married and your family makes $84,000 per year, you are set to see an increase in your taxes.
Remember, if you are doing a PM&S 36, chances are, you are making at or around $42,000 per year so this will affect YOU!

Members don't see this ad :)
Also for clarity's sake, as far as Obama's economy plan goes....
Under his proposed plan of the minute (since it constantly changes)
If you are single and make $42,000 a year, you are set to see an increase in taxes since Obama intends to ELIMINATE THE BUSH TAX CUTS. So when he says he "won't raise your taxes," this is a play on words. He will eliminate the Bush tax cuts, bringing back up your taxes to what they were beforehand.
If you are married and your family makes $84,000 per year, you are set to see an increase in your taxes.
Remember, if you are doing a PM&S 36, chances are, you are making at or around $42,000 per year so this will affect YOU!

he is only going to raise taxes on ppl making more than 250k a year, if you make 200k or less you see a tax decrease that's what it says when he talks about it at the debates, but many of you realize how McCain has been found lying and needed to be fact checked more times than I can count. Everytime I turn on CNN or MSNBC/Fixed News(oh im sorry i meant fox news) they are fact checking mccain. Come on people pay attention :laugh:

Obama will not raise taxes on "working fams" who make under 250K.

Thus if you are single, or do not have kids then you do not fall under that promise. Don't forget the payroll tax that he refuses to give specifics on right now because it is going to increase most everyone's taxes

I have enjoyed reading the forum thus far. I would like to add some comments.

1) About the commander-and-chief issue: this is not the only job of the president. It is also not the most discussed position in Article 2 of the Constitution. Articles 1 & 2 specifically emphasizes the role of the president in the executive branch as the ONLY (Cheney did not read this) member of the executive branch with a functionally explicit outreach into the legislative and judicial branches. The VP can break voting ties, but his expressed assignment is of a nominal position. Yes the constituion is an evolving document. If not, the Air Force and your mail service would not be funded. No one is ready for the job of commander and chief. No one is more qualified to be a commander-and-chief than another. It is a position of civilian stature. I have military experience, that does not make me more fit to be the man in charge than someone with no military experience. To use military terms, Article 2 "strongly suggests" the president be a listener to the appointed military and non-military advisees to make the appropriate decision. This way the decision is made with regards to economic outcomes, as well as foreign policy parameters. The position is not a single minded post with only one goal of killing.

2) I also want to add that the military needs someone who will make it the efficient AND effective beast it was in the 40's - 60's. If you took the Navy in the state of Virginia and got rid of the rest of the US Navy, you would have a Naval force that is seven times larger than the rest of the world's combined Naval Forces. Do I need to type this again. If you took the Navy in the state of Virginia and got rid of the rest of the US Navy, you would have a Naval force that is seven times larger than the rest of the world's combined Naval Forces. We have a problem with the size of our military and the priorities that have been placed on the military for the last 30 years. We have more equipment then we can keep maintained, and with virtually no one to use it. The focus should be on the soldier, sailor and marine. Is a B-1 worth it when soldiers' humvees need armor? Whoever gets into office needs to fix this.

3) There was a question posted about what Obama has done for you. So, here are a few things he has done to help all of us.

• Barack Obama has introduced nearly 300 bills during his time in the U.S. Senate, and cosponsored close to 1,000 others. To see his legislative efforts, search the 109th Congress at http://thomas.loc.gov/bss/d109query.html and 110th Congress at http://thomas.loc.gov/bss/d110query.html
    S.AMDT.1041 to S.1082 To improve the safety and efficacy of genetic tests.
    S.AMDT.3073 to H.R.1585 To provide for transparency and accountability in military and security contracting.
    S.AMDT.3078 to H.R.1585 Relating to administrative separations of members of the Armed Forces for personality disorder.
    S.AMDT.41 to S.1 To require lobbyists to disclose the candidates, leadership PACs, or political parties for whom they collect or arrange contributions, and the aggregate amount of the contributions collected or arranged.
    S.AMDT.524 to S.CON.RES.21 To provide $100 million for the Summer Term Education Program supporting summer learning opportunities for low-income students in the early grades to lessen summer learning losses that contribute to the achievement gaps separating low-income students from their middle-class peers.
    S.AMDT.599 to S.CON.RES.21 To add $200 million for Function 270 (Energy) for the demonstration and monitoring of carbon capture and sequestration technology by the Department of Energy.
    S.AMDT.905 to S.761 To require the Director of Mathematics, Science, and Engineering Education to establish a program to recruit and provide mentors for women and underrepresented minorities who are interested in careers in mathematics, science, and engineering.
    S.AMDT.923 to S.761 To expand the pipeline of individuals entering the science, technology, engineering, and mathematics fields to support United States innovation and competitiveness.
    S.AMDT.924 to S.761 To establish summer term education programs.
    S.AMDT.2519 to H.R.2638 To provide that one of the funds appropriated or otherwise made available by this Act may be used to enter into a contract in an amount greater than $5 million or to award a grant in excess of such amount unless the prospective contractor or grantee certifies in writing to the agency awarding the contract or grant that the contractor or grantee owes no past due Federal tax liability.
    S.AMDT.2588 to H.R.976 To provide certain employment protections for family members who are caring for members of the Armed Forces recovering from illnesses and injuries incurred on active duty.
    S.AMDT.2658 to H.R.2642 To provide that none of the funds appropriated or otherwise made available by this Act may be used to enter into a contract in an amount greater than $5,000,000 or to award a grant in excess of such amount unless the prospective contractor or grantee makes certain certifications regarding Federal tax liability.
    S.AMDT.2692 to H.R.2764 To require a comprehensive nuclear threat reduction and security plan.
    S.AMDT.2799 to H.R.3074 To provide that none of the funds appropriated or otherwise made available by this Act may be used to enter into a contract in an amount greater than $5,000,000 or to award a grant in excess of such amount unless the prospective contractor or grantee makes certain certifications regarding Federal tax liability.
    S.AMDT.3137 to H.R.3222 To provide that none of the funds appropriated or otherwise made available by this Act may be used to enter into a contract in an amount greater than $5,000,000 or to award a grant in excess of such amount unless the prospective contractor or grantee makes certain certifications regarding Federal tax liability.
    S.AMDT.3234 to H.R.3093 To provide that none of the funds appropriated or otherwise made available by this Act may be used to enter into a contract in an amount greater than $5,000,000 or to award a grant in excess of such amount unless the prospective contractor or grantee makes certain certifications regarding Federal tax liability.
  • S.AMDT.3331 to H.R.3043 To provide that none of the funds appropriated or otherwise made available by this Act may be used to enter into a contract in an amount greater than $5,000,000 or to award a grant in excess of such amount unless the prospective contractor or grantee makes certain certifications regarding Federal tax liability.
If I was at Scholl or an Illinois resident then I would look at his work in the state senate there:

• Chairman, Health and Human Services Committee
  • Spearheaded a successful bipartisan effort in Illinois to pass the broadest ethics-reform legislation in 25 years, and gained bipartisan support for his successful bills reforming death penalty interrogations and ending racial profiling by police. Worked with the Republican-led effort to reform welfare.
  • Also sponsored successful bills expanding tax credits and child-care subsidies for low-income working families, protecting overtime pay for workers, expanding health care for children, and providing job skills training for juveniles.
Next I want to comment on his educational background and his work as a community organizer in between undergrad and law school:

Undergraduate

Occidental College, Los Angeles, CA
Undergraduate, 1981-1983
Columbia University
B.A. Political Science with specialization in international relations
Thesis topic: Soviet nuclear disarmament

Graduate

Harvard Law School
J.D. magna cum laude 1988-1991
President, Harvard Law Review

• 1983-1984 Writer/Researcher for Business International Corporation. Helped companies understand overseas markets in the "Financing Foreign Operations" service and wrote for the "Business International Money Report"
  • 1984-1985 Community Organizer for New York Public Interest Research Group (PIRG), promoting personal, community, and government reform at City College in Harlem.
  • 1985-1988 Director of the Developing Communities Project (DCP), a church-based community organization originally comprising eight Catholic parishes in Greater Roseland on Chicago's South Side. While director grew the DCP staff from 1 to 13 and their budget from $70,000 to $400,000.
All of this is at www.obamasresume.org

4) There have also been comments on his tax plan. Please read it for yourself. It is on his website. There is a comment about being a single PMS-36 and having your taxes raised. Please read the plan before making comments like this. Please read it before making judgments. The plan is on his website. I am being as nice as I possibly can. Please, please read his plan before making false statements. Lastly, if anyone here is afraid to pay taxes when you earn more than 250K I think you are showing what kind of person you really are. We are all in a position that many people wish they could be in. We are all looking down the road and looking forward to coming out and having that kind of earning potential. Many, many, many people do not have that potential and will not ever have the opportunity to start down a career path that leads towards that kind of earning potential. If you cannot realize that this kind of earning potential places you in the top 5% of earners in this country and you feel like you have not been blessed enough to be your brother's keeper and help out your fellow countrymen send me a private message so I can make sure I do not get mixed up with people who are in medicine for the money and not for the sake of helping people.

Lastly, then I will shut up for a while, the only person qualified to be president is someone who qualifies under article 2 AND has already been a president. Neither candidate has been a president before so it is a free game for all. May the best man win. Sorry about the spelling errors, I tried to make this short and sweet. 'Thank you' to those of you who voted for selma and shakira. I would get cable in order to watch c-span if they got elected.

Last edited:
... 'Thank you' to those of you who voted for selma and shakira. I would get cable in order to watch c-span if they got elected.
This brings up a good point^

...In addition to tons of continued special interest spending, increased taxes, increased national debt devalued american dollar, govt healthcare, possible WW3 with Pakistan or China due to ni-eva-tay, loss of free enterprise, etc... I now see yet another major downside to Barack Obama's possibly being elected as the 44th US president:

Sarah Palin would probably vanish from my TV set for the forseeable future... maybe forever. Not cool.

In most of the doctors parking lots I've seen lots of Lexus/Mercedes/BMW/Audi. Awesome cars IMO. If I was wealthy enough and was going to buy a luxury car, I sure as hell would not get a Chrysler/Dodge/Ford Pinto.
Well, it's up to the individual. That is why it's a free country (for now).

There are damn nice American cars IMO...
Personally, I'd get a Caddy XLR or Tesla roadster as a luxury car... maybe a decked out, hybrid Avalanche or Denali as a luxury truck?
Those are all nice, and all under 100k (around the max I could honestly envision myself spending without feeling totally reckless and greedy)

800px-TeslaRoadster-front.jpg

The foreign cars are nice, but you aren't supporting our domestic workers/economy and maintainence/part costs are killers on the imports...
It's all in the eye of the beholder, though.

Last edited:
Well, it's up to the individual. That is why it's a free country (for now).

There are damn nice American cars IMO...
Personally, I'd get a Caddy XLR or Tesla roadster as a luxury car... maybe a decked out, hybrid Avalanche or Denali as a luxury truck?
800px-TeslaRoadster-front.jpg

The foreign cars are nice, but you aren't supporting our economyand maintainence/parts are killers on the imports. It's all in the eye of the beholder, though.

lol, Dow Jones under 8000 anyone? I'd rather buy my european luxury car. If the american companies didn't make crap with little style, I would buy american.

I have enjoyed reading the forum thus far. I would like to add some comments.

1) About the commander-and-chief issue: this is not the only job of the president. It is also not the most discussed position in Article 2 of the Constitution. Articles 1 & 2 specifically emphasizes the role of the president in the executive branch as the ONLY (Cheney did not read this) member of the executive branch with a functionally explicit outreach into the legislative and judicial branches. The VP can break voting ties, but his expressed assignment is of a nominal position. Yes the constituion is an evolving document. If not, the Air Force and your mail service would not be funded. No one is ready for the job of commander and chief. No one is more qualified to be a commander-and-chief than another. It is a position of civilian stature. I have military experience, that does not make me more fit to be the man in charge than someone with no military experience. To use military terms, Article 2 "strongly suggests" the president be a listener to the appointed military and non-military advisees to make the appropriate decision. This way the decision is made with regards to economic outcomes, as well as foreign policy parameters. The position is not a single minded post with only one goal of killing.

2) I also want to add that the military needs someone who will make it the efficient AND effective beast it was in the 40's - 60's. If you took the Navy in the state of Virginia and got rid of the rest of the US Navy, you would have a Naval force that is seven times larger than the rest of the world's combined Naval Forces. Do I need to type this again. If you took the Navy in the state of Virginia and got rid of the rest of the US Navy, you would have a Naval force that is seven times larger than the rest of the world's combined Naval Forces. We have a problem with the size of our military and the priorities that have been placed on the military for the last 30 years. We have more equipment then we can keep maintained, and with virtually no one to use it. The focus should be on the soldier, sailor and marine. Is a B-1 worth it when soldiers' humvees need armor? Whoever gets into office needs to fix this.

3) There was a question posted about what Obama has done for you. So, here are a few things he has done to help all of us.

• Barack Obama has introduced nearly 300 bills during his time in the U.S. Senate, and cosponsored close to 1,000 others. To see his legislative efforts, search the 109th Congress at http://thomas.loc.gov/bss/d109query.html and 110th Congress at http://thomas.loc.gov/bss/d110query.html
    S.AMDT.1041 to S.1082 To improve the safety and efficacy of genetic tests.
    S.AMDT.3073 to H.R.1585 To provide for transparency and accountability in military and security contracting.
    S.AMDT.3078 to H.R.1585 Relating to administrative separations of members of the Armed Forces for personality disorder.
    S.AMDT.41 to S.1 To require lobbyists to disclose the candidates, leadership PACs, or political parties for whom they collect or arrange contributions, and the aggregate amount of the contributions collected or arranged.
    S.AMDT.524 to S.CON.RES.21 To provide $100 million for the Summer Term Education Program supporting summer learning opportunities for low-income students in the early grades to lessen summer learning losses that contribute to the achievement gaps separating low-income students from their middle-class peers.
    S.AMDT.599 to S.CON.RES.21 To add $200 million for Function 270 (Energy) for the demonstration and monitoring of carbon capture and sequestration technology by the Department of Energy.
    S.AMDT.905 to S.761 To require the Director of Mathematics, Science, and Engineering Education to establish a program to recruit and provide mentors for women and underrepresented minorities who are interested in careers in mathematics, science, and engineering.
    S.AMDT.923 to S.761 To expand the pipeline of individuals entering the science, technology, engineering, and mathematics fields to support United States innovation and competitiveness.
    S.AMDT.924 to S.761 To establish summer term education programs.
    S.AMDT.2519 to H.R.2638 To provide that one of the funds appropriated or otherwise made available by this Act may be used to enter into a contract in an amount greater than $5 million or to award a grant in excess of such amount unless the prospective contractor or grantee certifies in writing to the agency awarding the contract or grant that the contractor or grantee owes no past due Federal tax liability.
    S.AMDT.2588 to H.R.976 To provide certain employment protections for family members who are caring for members of the Armed Forces recovering from illnesses and injuries incurred on active duty.
    S.AMDT.2658 to H.R.2642 To provide that none of the funds appropriated or otherwise made available by this Act may be used to enter into a contract in an amount greater than $5,000,000 or to award a grant in excess of such amount unless the prospective contractor or grantee makes certain certifications regarding Federal tax liability.
    S.AMDT.2692 to H.R.2764 To require a comprehensive nuclear threat reduction and security plan.
    S.AMDT.2799 to H.R.3074 To provide that none of the funds appropriated or otherwise made available by this Act may be used to enter into a contract in an amount greater than $5,000,000 or to award a grant in excess of such amount unless the prospective contractor or grantee makes certain certifications regarding Federal tax liability.
    S.AMDT.3137 to H.R.3222 To provide that none of the funds appropriated or otherwise made available by this Act may be used to enter into a contract in an amount greater than $5,000,000 or to award a grant in excess of such amount unless the prospective contractor or grantee makes certain certifications regarding Federal tax liability.
    S.AMDT.3234 to H.R.3093 To provide that none of the funds appropriated or otherwise made available by this Act may be used to enter into a contract in an amount greater than $5,000,000 or to award a grant in excess of such amount unless the prospective contractor or grantee makes certain certifications regarding Federal tax liability.
  • S.AMDT.3331 to H.R.3043 To provide that none of the funds appropriated or otherwise made available by this Act may be used to enter into a contract in an amount greater than $5,000,000 or to award a grant in excess of such amount unless the prospective contractor or grantee makes certain certifications regarding Federal tax liability.
If I was at Scholl or an Illinois resident then I would look at his work in the state senate there:

• Chairman, Health and Human Services Committee
  • Spearheaded a successful bipartisan effort in Illinois to pass the broadest ethics-reform legislation in 25 years, and gained bipartisan support for his successful bills reforming death penalty interrogations and ending racial profiling by police. Worked with the Republican-led effort to reform welfare.
  • Also sponsored successful bills expanding tax credits and child-care subsidies for low-income working families, protecting overtime pay for workers, expanding health care for children, and providing job skills training for juveniles.
Next I want to comment on his educational background and his work as a community organizer in between undergrad and law school:

Undergraduate

Occidental College, Los Angeles, CA
Undergraduate, 1981-1983
Columbia University
B.A. Political Science with specialization in international relations
Thesis topic: Soviet nuclear disarmament

Graduate

Harvard Law School
J.D. magna cum laude 1988-1991
President, Harvard Law Review

• 1983-1984 Writer/Researcher for Business International Corporation. Helped companies understand overseas markets in the “Financing Foreign Operations” service and wrote for the “Business International Money Report”

• 1984-1985 Community Organizer for New York Public Interest Research Group (PIRG), promoting personal, community, and government reform at City College in Harlem.

• 1985-1988 Director of the Developing Communities Project (DCP), a church-based community organization originally comprising eight Catholic parishes in Greater Roseland on Chicago's South Side. While director grew the DCP staff from 1 to 13 and their budget from $70,000 to $400,000.
All of this is at www.obamasresume.org

4) There have also been comments on his tax plan. Please read it for yourself. It is on his website. There is a comment about being a single PMS-36 and having your taxes raised. Please read the plan before making comments like this. Please read it before making judgments. The plan is on his website. I am being as nice as I possibly can. Please, please read his plan before making false statements. Lastly, if anyone here is afraid to pay taxes when you earn more than 250K I think you are showing what kind of person you really are. We are all in a position that many people wish they could be in. We are all looking down the road and looking forward to coming out and having that kind of earning potential. Many, many, many people do not have that potential and will not ever have the opportunity to start down a career path that leads towards that kind of earning potential. If you cannot realize that this kind of earning potential places you in the top 5% of earners in this country and you feel like you have not been blessed enough to be your brother's keeper and help out your fellow countrymen send me a private message so I can make sure I do not get mixed up with people who are in medicine for the money and not for the sake of helping people.

Lastly, then I will shut up for a while, the only person qualified to be president is someone who qualifies under article 2 AND has already been a president. Neither candidate has been a president before so it is a free game for all. May the best man win. Sorry about the spelling errors, I tried to make this short and sweet. 'Thank you' to those of you who voted for selma and shakira. I would get cable in order to watch c-span if they got elected.

AMEN:thumbup:

lol, Dow Jones under 8000 anyone? I'd rather buy my european luxury car. If the american companies didn't make crap with little style, I would buy american.

Agreed.

Personally I don't see how with the global warming issues and impending oil shortage that individuals can feel "justified" buying a decked out SUV or anything along those lines. It's horrible for the environment and makes the driver look like they are completely out of touch with the environment. I want a vespa or like a toyota prius. If I ever DID get a luxury car though the only one I would feel right buying would be the Tesla Roadster just because it is not a gas guzzler like every other luxury sportscar on the planet lol but as for now I am perfectly fine with my specialized road bike. Maybe an electric scooter when I get to grad school though.

For any of you actually intersed on where the candidates stand on healthcare, there is a good article in the oct 8 issue of the New England Journal of Medicine. SUV's rule!

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, there have been a lot of good comments on this thread. What more can be said? Since I am too lazy to display my arguments on who should be president, I will just say one thing that pretty much sums it up.

Obama will run this country to the ground!! The American people in general are all idiots for not realizing this. Store up your food and build your bomb shelters because this is going to get ugly. Be prepared people...be prepared.

Well, there have been a lot of good comments on this thread. What more can be said? Since I am too lazy to display my arguments on who should be president, I will just say one thing that pretty much sums it up.

Obama will run this country to the ground!! The American people in general are all idiots for not realizing this. Store up your food and build your bomb shelters because this is going to get ugly. Be prepared people...be prepared.

The only thing getting ugly is John McCain's commercial ad's & rally events..

I would disagree that American people in general are "idiots." I guess your fellow republican's are idiots too?? As the polls indicate, Obama is winning even previous red states, VA, NC, FL, OH, MO, IA.....Oh, these are the states McCain NEEDS to win BTW..

Notice Virginia!!! One of the reddest of states...I'm sorry, but if McCain CAN'T pull off VA, something is TERRIBLY wrong here...

So, I don't think the "American people" are the real idiots here...I know plenty of republican's who just can't vote for him on various reasons (mainly due to Palin)..For the republican party, I think she's done more harm than good..Especially now after this whole "troopergate" investigation.

I would disagree that American people in general are "idiots." I guess your fellow republican's are idiots too?? As the polls indicate, Obama is winning even previous red states, VA, NC, FL, OH, MO, IA.....Oh, these are the states McCain NEEDS to win BTW..

Notice Virginia!!! One of the reddest of states...I'm sorry, but if McCain CAN'T pull off VA, something is TERRIBLY wrong here...

So, I don't think the "American people" are the real idiots here...I know plenty of republican's who just can't vote for him on various reasons (mainly due to Palin)..For the republican party, I think she's done more harm than good..Especially now after this whole "troopergate" investigation.
I think most republicans had a difficult time with him because we didn't agree with him on several issues. I have noticed more people get excited about the republican ticket since he chose Palin, so I would have to disagree that she has done more bad than good. I think that all the excitement is wearing off about her, and McCain is in a world of hurt because things have gone against his strong points (economy). I have to agree that I think Obama will win, and I also agree that the world will be a worse place because of it.

I think most republicans had a difficult time with him because we didn't agree with him on several issues. I have noticed more people get excited about the republican ticket since he chose Palin, so I would have to disagree that she has done more bad than good.

I have to agree that I think Obama will win, and I also agree that the world will be a worse place because of it.

:thumbup: You hit right on the point bro.

iam an independent but core values are conservative. i noticed Mr.Mcain is way off on some conservative topics. i dnt wanna list them as some are really controversial. but we all know what topics iam talking abt and what many conservatives are feeling uncomfortable abt mr.mcain's stand on those issues. Sarah Palin is a typical conservative. she has indeed revitalized the party core.

Anyways after all my research. i have come to this conclusion

IN THIS ELECTION YEAR : "BEING A CONSERVATIVE DOES NOT AUTOMATICALLY MEANS YOU ARE REUBLICAN".

the economy is going to be standing in front of many conservative voters like me. and we are in a big dilemma who to vote. i hope 3rd debate comes up good.:) but i think obama might win. these 8yrs reputation (no matter whose fault it is) has hurt republicans very badly.

I just can't believe so many of my fellow pre-medical students actually WANT more of their income to be taxed by the government; in fact, I am acquainted with several people who favor an Obama presidency simply because they feel that, as future "rich" doctors, paying significantly more in tax money fulfills some sort of ethical imperative.

I had planned to donate a portion of my future practice's profits to cancer research programs, St. Jude's Children Hospital, and other noble causes deserving of charity, but since I'll likely be squandering away (as a single doctor earning $200,000/year) a significantly greater proportion of my earnings in income taxes alone...

I just can't believe so many of my fellow pre-medical students actually WANT more of their income to be taxed by the government; in fact, I am acquainted with several people who favor an Obama presidency simply because they feel that, as future "rich" doctors, paying significantly more in tax money fulfills some sort of ethical imperative.

Ask your friends, WTF do they mean ethical imperative. Are we cheating our way out of pod school or medical school or they think docs are sleeping during 3yrs of residency. we get to this position after many sacrifices and hardship. we deserve this pay for the amount of years and hardship we put into. what the heck is unethical abt this that i should feel guilty and give away 30-40% of my hard earned money. And as for the ridiculously high salaries of certain specialities. the chances of they getting sued are also quite high. some MDs pay more than 200K just in malpractice insurance. our salaries are balanced and fair.

That being said. i personally dont mind giving money in high taxes if the govt promises that they will be using it solely for the welfare of "US CITIZENS AND LEGAL RESIDENTS. i will be glad to help them.

Last edited:

McCain's problem is that he opens his mouth. He does not know how to compaign. No doubt he says stupid things. But as far as policies go, McCain is the best man for the job. Obama will just take us back to what our founding fathers risked their lives to get away from, goverment control. And I certainly dont trust someone with no experience and the nation shouldnt either.

We're all doomed.

McCain's problem is that he opens his mouth. He does not know how to compaign. No doubt he says stupid things. But as far as policies go, McCain is the best man for the job. Obama will just take us back to what our founding fathers risked their lives to get away from, goverment control. And I certainly dont trust someone with no experience and the nation shouldnt either.

We're all doomed.

well then palins out...

ALSO...plus you above talking about paying income taxes on 200k or more or whatever, taxes only go up for those making 250K or higher gross, and don't tell me that is it not patriotic to give some extra of your paycheck for the greater good

don't tell me that is it not patriotic to give some extra of your paycheck for the greater good

:eek:Seriously? It's not patriotic, it's a fundamental of socialism! A forced redistribution of wealth by the government goes against everything that this country was founded on. Sure it is good for the have to give back to those who are less fortunate, but there is no circumstance where it should be mandated by the government. A class based tax system (Obamas 250,00 and up plan) is completely backwards and makes not sense in a capatolist free-market system. Penalizing people who work hard and create jobs through small buisness is a horrible idea and will only harm the American info structure further. Maybe we should start by fixing the broken and abused social programs that a bigger chunk of my paycheck is going to fund if Obama is elected. The solution is not to overtax, but to cut wasteful spending.

When I hear people say that paying higher taxes is patriotic it make me shudder. Our founding fathers had a pretty big problem with overtaxation too and it led to something called the revolutionary war.

:eek:Seriously? It's not patriotic, it's a fundamental of socialism! A forced redistribution of wealth by the government goes against everything that this country was founded on. Sure it is good for the have to give back to those who are less fortunate, but there is no circumstance where it should be mandated by the government. A class based tax system (Obamas 250,00 and up plan) is completely backwards and makes not sense in a capatolist free-market system. Penalizing people who work hard and create jobs through small buisness is a horrible idea and will only harm the American info structure further. Maybe we should start by fixing the broken and abused social programs that a bigger chunk of my paycheck is going to fund if Obama is elected. The solution is not to overtax, but to cut wasteful spending.

When I hear people say that paying higher taxes is patriotic it make me shudder. Our founding fathers had a pretty big problem with overtaxation too and it led to something called the revolutionary war.

Well now we have a philosophical debate about what exactly is patriotism and i could turn this thread into a epistemological discussion on fundamental American ethics but do we really want that? I must say no my friends(took those two words from the McCain rhetoric) I think we all are set in our ways and there is no use to further discuss this topic on here any longer unless there are some independents that want to come forward and exclaim their confusion. This, of course, should not be present this late in the game anyways if we all have been doing research on the candidates to make the best forthright conclusion on who is the best future president for the United States. After all, it is our civic duty to do so, so for those of you that are still confused, watch either biased msnbc or fixed news or read the papers or whatever to find a reliable source of information because clearly all you will find on this thread is biased towards either obama, mcnasty, shakira, or nader.

In response to a few comments made since my last post.

1) Taxation by principle is a redistribution of wealth. If you pay any form of taxes, you play the redistribution of wealth game. Yes, socialism does call for a redistribution of wealth, but the main tenants of socialism are based on the construction of government entities that hold a monopoly on the driving factors of an economy. In Britian, this pertains to coal production and some banking companies in which the government has a majority share interest in. Smith describes the purity of capitalism as greed, but in a prosperous way that is dictated by the one earning the majority of the money. The comment about Obama's plan not making sense in the "free market" economy is absolutely correct. But the thing is; we do not live in a "free market" anymore. We cannot live in a free market anymore, the idea of a "free market" yeilds the great depression, the massive recession in the late 80's and the economic mess we are in today. That is because people are greedy and when left unattended to, take everything they can get their hands on. If you look at the works of Locke and Montesque they both use capitalistic language to describe how a country can prosper, but both discuss the need for a governing body that everyone has a stake in. In their case, they were speaking about the voice of the people to choose their governers and the ability to pay into the government for the sake of their country. Plain and simple, if you place a bet on a football game, then you are more likely to watch it and have an interest in the outcome. If you drive on a road (county road, state road, Interstate) then you have succomed to the evils of redistribution of wealth and taxation :smuggrin:. If you receive mail from the post office then you have been bitten by the evil demon of the redistribution of wealth :smuggrin:. If you ever went to a public school, then you are a product of the redistribution of wealth :smuggrin:. If you have received any form of benefit from the military or national guard, then you are a beneficiary of the redistribution of wealth and taxation :smuggrin:. If you have a drivers liscence, then you are a victim of the redistribution of wealth :smuggrin:. If you have taken student loans of any form, then you are a victim of the redistribution of wealth :smuggrin: (NOOOOOOOO Please do not provide me with a student loan - I would not want a chance to make myself better - I understand that medical school is only for those who are priviledged enough to pay cash for it):smuggrin:. If your grandparents or disabled family members are receiving a social security or disability check, they are the greatest victims of the redistribution of wealth :laugh:. As I said before, we pay taxes, and it is a fact of life. You do not get anything from the government that we haven chosen to govern us if we do not put any money into it. Next, I am going to say the same thing that I did in my previous post. Do not make stupid comments about Obama's tax plan when you have not read it for yourself. If you want to discuss certain tenants of his plan, read it, then make references ans will discuss adnauseum (Sp?). I have read it. The simple facts are: a) If you and/or your family make more than $250,000 per year, then your taxes will increase to a level that is below the level of Reagan's taxes. This extra $417 per month in taxes will not be the back breaker that is predicted by the rich. When you earn $21,000 per month, I think you can afford the demanding amount of the extra $417. b) If you and/or your family earns less than $250,000 per year, then your taxes will decrease, or not change at all. Most of the students, residents and podiatrists that I know will fall into this category. But businesses are counted as individuals in his plan. True, but this is so you can file loses or gains under your self when you file your federal income taxes. This ultimately gives you more money back if your business fails, and 90% of businesses fail. Also, to counter this measure, Obama is giving tax credits to businesses (& individuals) that hire people. c) If you are a senior citizen earning less than $50,000 per year, then you pay nothing. Something that will definitely help podiatrists.

2) Social programs dictate less than 6.1% of our national budget. In the post above I talked about the inefficiency of the military. Whether directly, or indirectly, the military uses close to 75% of our national budget. I loved my years in the service, but I quickly noticed the lack of efficiency when it came to the services. For every tax dollar the government collects, less than one-tenth of one cent goes to welfare. Less than four cents goes to medicare, medicade and social security. Less than one cent goes into charities and project funding. The notion that this country cannot modify its priorities to focus on itself is ludacris. We can easily provide coverage for children and those that cannot afford it. We can also let people keep their own coverage if they choose. This is not hard to swallow. Lies and scare tactics are no longer working on the majority of Americans. We hear ignorant comments about Obama being a muslim and associating with terrorists and we know it simply is not true. When americans actually looked at the issues and problems, they quickly realized that there is a way to be your brother's keeper without becoming a carbon copy of England and Canada (even though the WHO ranks their healthcare far above ours).

3) What confuses me is the call of the right to get behind the man with the military experience. It did not work for Kerry or Gore? Why now? Four years ago we were in the same war? Eight years ago we still had the perception of terrorism that we have now, it is just an active perception. Why would the man with no military experience be the best thing for America in the last two elections, but this one calls for a man with a great amount of military experience? No Bush comments please. The National Guard was a joke then. He got out of Vietnam when Kerry and Gore did not. I have more jet hours than Bush, and I was only in the jet pipeline for 8 months, I flew turboprops.

4) I cannot help ignorance. I posted some of Obama's accomplishments on the previous post. Again, please read over his website and resume before making stupid comments. You cannot say Obama has had 96 "NV" no-votes in the last three years in the Senate when McCain has had 426 "NV" no-votes in the last ten years in the Senate. The math is obvious and it makes you look like an idiot.

5) All of the lies about giving government less control makes us prosper makes me laugh. Just like the mentality to deregulate the stock market, the Republican Party for years has preached smaller government and less control, but has made the government larger and given us chaos mainstreet when it comes "us." Reagan - increased the government by 10% while deregulating wallstreet and HMO's. Yes the wall came down, but we were left with a trillion dollar deficit and 200,000 military men and women looking for jobs because of the inflated military numbers. Bush - added the department of homeland security, making me feel less secure and increasing our deficit by $135 every second. Both lied about their philosophies towards "less" government and left us in two of the greatest recessions since the crash of the 30's. The constants here are the hipocritical huge deficits, larger - deregulated government. Also, the majority of americans are worse off after Bush and Reagan's time in office.

Last edited:

1) Taxation by principle is a redistribution of wealth. If you pay any form of taxes, you play the redistribution of wealth game. Yes, socialism does call for a redistribution of wealth, but the main tenants of socialism are based on the construction of government entities that hold a monopoly on the driving factors of an economy. In Britian, this pertains to coal production and some banking companies in which the government has a majority share interest in. Smith describes the purity of capitalism as greed, but in a prosperous way that is dictated by the one earning the majority of the money. The comment about Obama's plan not making sense in the "free market" economy is absolutely correct. But the thing is; we do not live in a "free market" anymore. We cannot live in a free market anymore, the idea of a "free market" yeilds the great depression, the massive recession in the late 80's and the economic mess we are in today. That is because people are greedy and when left unattended to, take everything they can get their hands on. If you look at the works of Locke and Montesque they both use capitalistic language to describe how a country can prosper, but both discuss the need for a governing body that everyone has a stake in. In their case, they were speaking about the voice of the people to choose their governers and the ability to pay into the government for the sake of their country. Plain and simple, if you place a bet on a football game, then you are more likely to watch it and have an interest in the outcome. If you drive on a road (county road, state road, Interstate) then you have succomed to the evils of redistribution of wealth and taxation :smuggrin:. If you receive mail from the post office then you have been bitten by the evil demon of the redistribution of wealth :smuggrin:. If you ever went to a public school, then you are a product of the redistribution of wealth :smuggrin:. If you have received any form of benefit from the military or national guard, then you are a beneficiary of the redistribution of wealth and taxation :smuggrin:. If you have a drivers liscence, then you are a victim of the redistribution of wealth :smuggrin:. If you have taken student loans of any form, then you are a victim of the redistribution of wealth :smuggrin: (NOOOOOOOO Please do not provide me with a student loan - I would not want a chance to make myself better - I understand that medical school is only for those who are priviledged enough to pay cash for it):smuggrin:. If your grandparents or disabled family members are receiving a social security or disability check, they are the greatest victims of the redistribution of wealth :laugh:. As I said before, we pay taxes, and it is a fact of life. You do not get anything from the government that we haven chosen to govern us if we do not put any money into it. Next, I am going to say the same thing that I did in my previous post. Do not make stupid comments about Obama's tax plan when you have not read it for yourself. If you want to discuss certain tenants of his plan, read it, then make references ans will discuss adnauseum (Sp?). I have read it. The simple facts are: a) If you and/or your family make more than $250,000 per year, then your taxes will increase to a level that is below the level of Reagan's taxes. This extra $417 per month in taxes will not be the back breaker that is predicted by the rich. When you earn $21,000 per month, I think you can afford the demanding amount of the extra $417. b) If you and/or your family earns less than $250,000 per year, then your taxes will decrease, or not change at all. Most of the students, residents and podiatrists that I know will fall into this category. But businesses are counted as individuals in his plan. True, but this is so you can file loses or gains under your self when you file your federal income taxes. This ultimately gives you more money back if your business fails, and 90% of businesses fail. Also, to counter this measure, Obama is giving tax credits to businesses (& individuals) that hire people. c) If you are a senior citizen earning less than $50,000 per year, then you pay nothing. Something that will definitely help podiatrists.

2) Social programs dictate less than 6.1% of our national budget. In the post above I talked about the inefficiency of the military. Whether directly, or indirectly, the military uses close to 75% of our national budget. I loved my years in the service, but I quickly noticed the lack of efficiency when it came to the services. For every tax dollar the government collects, less than one-tenth of one cent goes to welfare. Less than four cents goes to medicare, medicade and social security. Less than one cent goes into charities and project funding. The notion that this country cannot modify its priorities to focus on itself is ludacris. We can easily provide coverage for children and those that cannot afford it. We can also let people keep their own coverage if they choose. This is not hard to swallow. Lies and scare tactics are no longer working on the majority of Americans. We hear ignorant comments about Obama being a muslim and associating with terrorists and we know it simply is not true. When americans actually looked at the issues and problems, they quickly realized that there is a way to be your brother's keeper without becoming a carbon copy of England and Canada (even though the WHO ranks their healthcare far above ours).

3) What confuses me is the call of the right to get behind the man with the military experience. It did not work for Kerry or Gore? Why now? Four years ago we were in the same war? Eight years ago we still had the perception of terrorism that we have now, it is just an active perception. Why would the man with no military experience be the best thing for America in the last two elections, but this one calls for a man with a great amount of military experience? No Bush comments please. The National Guard was a joke then. He got out of Vietnam when Kerry and Gore did not. I have more jet hours than Bush, and I was only in the jet pipeline for 8 months, I flew turboprops.

4) I cannot help ignorance. I posted some of Obama's accomplishments on the previous post. Again, please read over his website and resume before making stupid comments. You cannot say Obama has had 96 "NV" no-votes in the last three years in the Senate when McCain has had 426 "NV" no-votes in the last ten years in the Senate. The math is obvious and it makes you look like an idiot.

5) All of the lies about giving government less control makes us prosper makes me laugh. Just like the mentality to deregulate the stock market, the Republican Party for years has preached smaller government and less control, but has made the government larger and given us chaos mainstreet when it comes "us." Reagan - increased the government by 10% while deregulating wallstreet and HMO's. Yes the wall came down, but we were left with a trillion dollar deficit and 200,000 military men and women looking for jobs because of the inflated military numbers. Bush - added the department of homeland security, making me feel less secure and increasing our deficit by $135 every second. Both lied about their philosophies towards "less" government and left us in two of the greatest recessions since the crash of the 30's. The constants here are the hipocritical huge deficits, larger - deregulated government. Also, the majority of americans are worse off after Bush and Reagan's time in office.

I think together we just owned

anyway, I think that your reference to the podiatrists that you know who fall into the category of 250k a year or lessis a huge uncertainty i really cant understand why it is such an arduous task to find the salary informatin for a practicing podiatrist, people say 150K people like Scholl say 189K and people claim 200K minimum for an associate posiation right out of school and some say 250 or higher and some claim 400-500 gross a year!!! where is the figure? there are numerous sources cited but all are different.

That was a slight digression of this thread but I really don't see why there is not a difinitive "this is how much" post or something to that effect. I like as many of you as possible are in this for the right reasons-we love science, we want to treat patients and we love the foot/ankle, we want a good paying job! so I think it is fair to ask and then receive an answer that is somewhat authoritative on the matter of the projected annual median salary of a podiatric surgeon vs whatever!

i really cant understand why it is such an arduous task to find the salary informatin for a practicing podiatrist, people say 150K people like Scholl say 189K and people claim 200K minimum for an associate posiation right out of school and some say 250 or higher and some claim 400-500 gross a year!!! where is the figure? there are numerous sources cited but all are different!

These figures are not generated by Scholl. these are figures reported by scholl in its podiatry month and the source is JAPMA (journal of APMA) survey report from 2007.

I dont care what some unknown website says abt our salary or what salary.com writes. JAPMA is our official journal and we should use that as our guideline.

Last edited:

This post was way too long. I think I stopped reading at "1)".

I think together we just owned

anyway, I think that your reference to the podiatrists that you know who fall into the category of 250k a year or lessis a huge uncertainty i really cant understand why it is such an arduous task to find the salary informatin for a practicing podiatrist, people say 150K people like Scholl say 189K and people claim 200K minimum for an associate posiation right out of school and some say 250 or higher and some claim 400-500 gross a year!!! where is the figure? there are numerous sources cited but all are different.

That was a slight digression of this thread but I really don't see why there is not a difinitive "this is how much" post or something to that effect. I like as many of you as possible are in this for the right reasons-we love science, we want to treat patients and we love the foot/ankle, we want a good paying job! so I think it is fair to ask and then receive an answer that is somewhat authoritative on the matter of the projected annual median salary of a podiatric surgeon vs whatever!
There are a lot of problems with giving a solid number for a salary. There are too many factors to consider. Do you include part-time podiatrists in the survey? Only salary or is the bonus included? What about benefits? Do you include pods just out of school with those who have been in practice for 20 years+? The salaries in different parts of the country can differ greatly as well. That is why the numbers in different surveys vary so much. Looking at those surveys and where they get their info will give you a good idea about what podiatrists are making. Whether or not you will make that much is up to you; no survey can tell your future.

As for "owning" the political discussion here, dream on. :rolleyes:

Spooge,

You raise some good points. I especially like #5. Telling us that politicians lie, wow:eek:! Politicians on both sides have lied for as long as the world has existed. While the past few years have been bad economically, remember that the President only has so much power. Democrats have had control of Congress during that time too, and they are just as much to blame as Republicans. If the failure of the politicians to follow through with their "less government" agendas has caused this chaos, it seems to me that someone actually following through with it would put us in the right direction. And Obama is definately not preaching for less government involvement, quite the contrary. Although assuming he is lying to us too, maybe he will actually cause the govt to have less control, and then he would succeed??:confused::laugh:

There are a lot of problems with giving a solid number for a salary. There are too many factors to consider. Do you include part-time podiatrists in the survey? Only salary or is the bonus included? What about benefits? Do you include pods just out of school with those who have been in practice for 20 years+? The salaries in different parts of the country can differ greatly as well. That is why the numbers in different surveys vary so much. Looking at those surveys and where they get their info will give you a good idea about what podiatrists are making. Whether or not you will make that much is up to you; no survey can tell your future.

As for "owning" the political discussion here, dream on. :rolleyes:

ok:laugh:

Well now we have a philosophical debate about what exactly is patriotism and i could turn this thread into a epistemological discussion on fundamental American ethics but do we really want that? I must say no my friends(took those two words from the McCain rhetoric) I think we all are set in our ways and there is no use to further discuss this topic on here any longer unless there are some independents that want to come forward and exclaim their confusion. This, of course, should not be present this late in the game anyways if we all have been doing research on the candidates to make the best forthright conclusion on who is the best future president for the United States. After all, it is our civic duty to do so, so for those of you that are still confused, watch either biased msnbc or fixed news or read the papers or whatever to find a reliable source of information because clearly all you will find on this thread is biased towards either obama, mcnasty, shakira, or nader.

No debate needed, just look up the definition. It doesn't mention giving up part of your paycheck for the "greater good" anywhere.

Great article on CNN abt the confusion and dilemma faced by conservatives. :-(

Christopher Buckley, the son of conservative icon William F. Buckley, said Tuesday he's resigned from the conservative National Review days after endorsing Barack Obama's White House bid, among the most powerful symbols yet of the conservative discontent expressed this election cycle........

"While I regret this development, I am not in mourning, for I no longer have any clear idea what, exactly, the modern conservative movement stands for," Buckley wrote...........

(rest is on the website link below..)

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.co...al-review-after-obama-endorsement/#more-24538

Last edited:
Actually, for whoever the heck chided me for stating that Obama would raise taxes on those making $200,000/year, I'm still right; single earners will see their taxes raised as soon as they clear $200,000 in earnings (the $250,000 figure is for families).

I'm not totally sure if I'm going to podiatry school, dental school, or allopathic/osteopathic medical school, but I plan on making at least $200,000 working whatever career I choose. I don't care if it sounds callous or not: I DON'T want to pay more in taxes than what I would if I were practicing today. Why should I have to fork-over more of my hard-earned money to Saint Obama and his social programs? I will donate money to the causes of my choice.

I know people are going to slander me as "motivated for the wrong reasons" because I don't want to carry the burden of Joe Public, but I'll gladly hire some of you guys to work at my practice during any shift(s) of your choosing and provide raw, from-the-heart health care. :laugh:

Ah, well...I guess I'll be versing myself on some "tax loophole" theory. ;)

Henry H - http://www.barackobama.com/issues/economy/ & http://www.taxpolicycenter.org/UploadedPDF/411750_updated_candidates_summary.pdf

Read...then make comments...you would not want to go into a test without reading the materials and analysis right? If anyone earns less than $250,000 then your taxes will decrease or remain same (for those right at the 250,000 mark). Also, do not take any money from medicare, it would make you a hipocritical socialist. And like I said before, less regulation leads to anyone taking advantage and taking anything they want from the cookie jar.

Patriotism - love for and devotion to one's country

From Merriam-Webster. I'll keep it short for Ilzarob. So, by defintion, if you are patriotic then you are doing what is best for your country, not yourself. Does it make a country more productive when they are well versus sick? Yes. Does it make a country stronger to support their troops and provide the necessary care to make them the greatest in the world? Yes. Does it make your country better when you chip in money to update and create an infrastructure to promote travel and transportation? Yes. Does make the country better when it is more educated? Yes. So when you are analyzing those seven words in the definition of patriotism the three that stand out the most are love, devotion and country. I never saw the word self or selfish or me or mine. Hope this was short enough for you.

ldsrmdude - My statement was that it is hipocritical to constantly run on the platform of smaller government when the size of the government has been increased by the party in that party's administration since Nixon. I also find it ridiculous to run on the platform that less regulation and "free market" theories work, when those theories and less regulation have lead to the greatest recessions since the great depression. It is obvious that it does not work and only benefits the rich. When 5% of our population own 80% of the wealth it should strike you as a problem. I am for more government regulation in the trading market as well as some banking policies. I do believe Obama will do that, and I do believe that is the right thing considering the recession track record of the republican party.

Miami Business Leaders reports the salary for a Podiatric Surgeon in Miami is around $175,000 per year. For the Tampa area - $145,000. For the Orlando area - $178,000. For the Jacksonville area - $164,000. For the Tallahassee area - $130,000. For the Pensacola area - $153,000. These are from surveys that were taken in late 2007.

Great front page story in the New York Post today about Obamas tax plan. Obama let it slip that he plans to take money from American's who have worked hard to get to where they are in life and "spread the wealth around". It goes on to mention how he has been careful to cover up the socialist nature of his plan.

I'm continuing to hope that someday a fair tax plan the based on an equal % for everyone based on income will finally be implemented (flat tax). The problem is that politicians like Obama have realized that it is much easier to get votes by running on the premise that the people who have worked hard to earn more are somehow obligated to give up a portion of their paycheck to others.

I'll end with my favorite quote of politics this year and then I am through with this thread. "I'm not a Republican because I was born rich. I'm a Republican because I didn't want to spend my entire life poor, waiting for the government to bail me out." Mike Huckabee at the GOP convention.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/10152008/news/politics/obama_fires_a_robin_hood_warning_shot_133685.htm

Last edited:
Spooge. Although I 100% disagree with you, I can respect someone who likes to have a debate using facts and research.

Here is some reading for you from a non-partisan group. They have lots of excellent articles that share some insight on both candidates and their "plans"

http://www.taxfoundation.org/publications/show/23724.html

Henry H - http://www.barackobama.com/issues/economy/ & http://www.taxpolicycenter.org/UploadedPDF/411750_updated_candidates_summary.pdf

Read...then make comments...you would not want to go into a test without reading the materials and analysis right? If anyone earns less than $250,000 then your taxes will decrease or remain same (for those right at the 250,000 mark). Also, do not take any money from medicare, it would make you a hipocritical socialist. And like I said before, less regulation leads to anyone taking advantage and taking anything they want from the cookie jar.

So why does almost every news website state that while Obama will raise taxes on families earning $250k, single individuals will see their taxes raised when they earn $200k? Guess I'll have to e-mail the Obama cesspool myself...

Also, regardless of what field I eventually decide to enter, there's no way in hell I'm seeing Medicare patients! There's a reason most popular doctors/dentists have signs taped to the doors of their practices reading "WE DO NOT ACCEPT MEDICARE/MEDICAID." :laugh:

I have always loved the attitude that only those who earn the most money work hard. Only those who earn the most money deserve to pay to send their children to college. Only those who earn the most money deserve to have their illnesses treated by a doctor or nurse because only they can afford it. For the other 95% of us...here comes the sarcasm...NO ONE ELSE WORKS HARD...NO ONE ELSE DESERVES TO SEND THEIR CHILDREN TO COLLEGE...NO ONE ELSE DESERVES TO RECEIVE TREATMENT FOR THEIR ILLNESS...H E L L PEOPLE CHOOSE TO BE POOR...THEY LOVE IT...IT IS WHAT EVERY CHILD WANTS TO BE...THEY DREAM OF CHOOSING BETWEEN FOOD AND MEDICINE...THEY ARE RELELIVED THAT THEY GET THE PLEASURE OF WORKING A CRAPPY JOB AND NOT RETIRING FOR FOUR MORE YEARS BECAUSE THE STOCK MARKET CRASHED AND THEY LOST 50% OF THEIR PORTFOLIO VALUE...THEY LOVE IT WHEN THEIR INSURANCE PREMIUMS RISE 12% EVERY 6 MONTHS BECAUSE THE INSURANCE COMPANY NEEDS TO INCREASE THEIR PROFITS TO 2 BILLION PER YEAR INSTEAD OF 1 BILLION...IT IS THEIR FAULT THAT THEY MUST WORK TWO JOBS...wait...not their fault...THEY CHOOSE THAT...THEY LOVE IT...OH WAIT...NOW THEY CANNOT GET THAT SECOND JOB NEEDED TO COVER THE CAR INSURANCE AND THE RISING COST OF THEIR RENT... Back to my unsarcastic self. I am guessing that almost everyone in this forum works hard but does not fall into that category of the top 5%. We are probably in the bottom 5%. So if you feel that you are not good enough to receive benefits from the government, like student loans, please return the money and work a 9-5 to pay for your own school. But for me, I deserve it. I earned it. I actually did work hard even though I never made it into the top 50%. You can look down on me if you want to, but I bet you will never say anything about it to my face.

So why does almost every news website state that while Obama will raise taxes on families earning $250k, single individuals will see their taxes raised when they earn $200k? Guess I'll have to e-mail the Obama cesspool myself...

Also, regardless of what field I eventually decide to enter, there's no way in hell I'm seeing Medicare patients! There's a reason most popular doctors/dentists have signs taped to the doors of their practices reading "WE DO NOT ACCEPT MEDICARE/MEDICAID." :laugh:

If I am not mistaken, APMA is fighiting to get better reimbursment from MEDICAID, I believe most of our patients are the elderly or on MEDICAID.
If you don't want to see MEDICARE patients you should probably do plastic surgery in LA

If I am not mistaken, APMA is fighiting to get better reimbursment from MEDICAID, I believe most of our patients are the elderly or on MEDICAID.
If you don't want to see MEDICARE patients you should probably do plastic surgery in LA

Are podiatrists doing plastic surgery on the feet these days? Has "cosmetic podiatry" gained traction yet like the cosmetic dentistry craze?

Are podiatrists doing plastic surgery on the feet these days? Has "cosmetic podiatry" gained traction yet like the cosmetic dentistry craze?

Let's hope not!

I think together we just owned...
That's impossible in a political discussion. I generally avoid talking politics, religion, race, gender, etc. Nobody ever changes their mind, and people get offended. It's just banging your head against a brick wall. It's still interesting, but you never get anywhere.

The key points were already made:
-Repubs tax less, regulate businesses less, let the chips fall where they may (hard working people do well, others not so well)
-Dems tax more and cut military to fund much more govt control and try to redistribute wealth (welfare, health care, etc for non-working)

If you work hard and think that govt social programs are grossly abused in America (as I do), you have a pretty easy choice here. If you think that protecting freedom is not enough and the govt should control a lot of the money to hold everyone's hand, then you also have an easy choice.

Last edited:
...Obama let it slip that he plans to take money from American's who have worked hard to get to where they are in life and "spread the wealth around". It goes on to mention how he has been careful to cover up the socialist nature of his plan....

...politicians like Obama have realized that it is much easier to get votes by running on the premise that the people who have worked hard to earn more are somehow obligated to give up a portion of their paycheck to others...
Exactly right ^

That's impossible in a political discussion. I generally avoid talking politics, religion, race, gender, etc. Nobody ever changes their mind, and people get offended. It's just banging your head against a brick wall. It's still interesting, but you never get anywhere.

The key points were already made:
-Repubs tax less, regulate businesses less, let the chips fall where they may (hard working people do well, others not so well)
-Dems tax more and cut military to fund much more govt control and try to redistribute wealth (welfare, health care, etc for non-working)

If you work hard and think that govt social programs are grossly abused in America (as I do), you have a pretty easy choice here. If you think that protecting freedom is not enough and the govt should control a lot of the money to hold everyone's hand, then you also have an easy choice.

Repubs: Increase military spending and cut/reduce social programs.

My parents were both in the military during 70's-90's. They actually had the biggest pay increases under...Jimmy Carter, a Democrat. :D No joke either.
Carter placed sanctions on the USSR and also began the enormous covert funding of mujaheedin fighters when they invaded Afghanistan - which eventually led to the collapse of the USSR. Carter was a military man himself, I think many people don't even look at this.

To remark about increased military funding under republicans. Is that always a good thing - especially when the funding is not used intelligently? We had 8 years of that garbage under Bush. Remember when soldiers had to use scrap metal to armor up their Hummer's and trucks??? Or when the military didn't even have enough ballistic armor to go around to all troops? Families of soldiers had to purchase these vests in some situations when they were not supplied (or sent in time). What a joke! :eek: And we are considered the most advanced and best military in the world? Obviously something is not right!

Look at our country now - bogged down in 2 wars with no clear end in sight. More money won't do much. More soldiers would (as seen in the troop surge) but that is finished and would take a toll on the military in the long run of things.

McCain is gonna follow Bin Laden to the gates of hell, right? Well McCain will be sitting pretty in one of his 7 houses/apartments, while our tax payer dollars are pissed away and young americans are sent to be killed by IED's.