Best Prelim Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Bullet to the head? What's up with Akron then?
It's a hick town in the rust belt. It's the definition of fly over country.

Members don't see this ad.

Well I've now added 3 new terms to my vocabulary, thanks. Needless to say, I had to google all 3 things you wrote above :))

Members don't see this ad :)
From my current experience on the interview trail, there are no "good prelims with unique perks". A good prelim would be at ANY good academic institution with a GOOD INTERNAL MEDICINE program - because prelim = internal medicine intern year (with a few very minor variations).
I personally favor TYs (and not because I am "lazy", as someone above alleges) - you can rotate through so many specialties - yes, medicine, but also surgery (always ask if you are going to be scrubbing into the surgery though, because at some TYs being on surgery means manning the floors and never going into the OR), Ob, Psych, ED - and even a research month if you want to cook up a quick clinical paper. Some programs have unique divisions - such as burn centers, prison medicine, forensic medicine - and you can rotate through those as well.

From my current experience on the interview trail, there are no "good prelims with unique perks". A good prelim would be at ANY good academic institution with a GOOD INTERNAL MEDICINE program - because prelim = internal medicine intern year (with a few very minor variations).
I personally favor TYs (and not because I am "lazy", as someone above alleges) - you can rotate through so many specialties - yes, medicine, but also surgery (always ask if you are going to be scrubbing into the surgery though, because at some TYs being on surgery means manning the floors and never going into the OR), Ob, Psych, ED - and even a research month if you want to cook up a quick clinical paper. Some programs have unique divisions - such as burn centers, prison medicine, forensic medicine - and you can rotate through those as well.

Very helpful. Thanks.

There are also prelims that are more like the typical TY and TY's that are more like the typical prelim.

Also some places have a TY and a prelim year that are essentially the same except for 1 or 2 months