Best one-liner after you tell someone you're a pain physician?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrMDAware

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
It is Friday.

Let's have some fun.

After you tell someone you're a pain physician what's the best one-liner to follow with?

For example, "Hi, I'm MDAware and I'm a pain physician. I take the pain away and not give it."

You get the point.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I usually tell people I'm an anesthesiologist, so they don't ask me any followup questions...

Reactions: 5 users
I tell them I work in healthcare administration which is 100% truthful and boring enough not to prompt any follow-on questions.

Not trying to talk to my barber or some random stranger on the airplane about how they tweaked their back 4 years ago.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I usually try to hide the fact I'm a physician as long as possible in all circumstances outside the hospital/clinic.

If it's unavoidable and I want to sound impressive, I'll say I'm a fellowship-trained anesthesiologist that specializes in interventional pain treatments.

If it's unavoidable and I'm feeling snarky, I tell them I poke people until I find where it hurts the most then stab them in that spot.

Reactions: 1 users
Yes, I’ve seen Dopesick.

Reactions: 2 users
I tell them what Timothy Dalton said as James bond. Something like I am not a pain manager, I am more of a pain eliminator

When I was young, I was terrified of needles. But after decades of hard work, I am no longer young.

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
Pain doc? Yeah it’s basically like being a back dentist.

Members don't see this ad :)
Tomato tomahto, still don’t nobody know what I do.

I had a few who read the word physiatrist too quickly and go “Thank you so much, we have so many here with mental health needs!”

When I tell them I'm a also psychiatrist, they immediately switch it to psychologist. This includes other physicians...

A lot of anesthesia hating going on…
Great specialty options : icu, cards, pain, regional, admin, asc, per diem, toxicology, etc.

Given today’s climate, I think I’ll just introduce myself as a nurse

Yes Nurse Ratchet…
F377A189-D858-4B4B-B754-1A0B36DB17D2.jpeg

Me thinking about another ridiculous comment on pain forum in between patients

“I do consulting” stops conversations pretty quick….full time pain, but have never wanted that to come up with someone I don’t know..

This thread will make my future haircuts much simpler.

Haircuts are the worst. On and on about their chiropractor.
Yes!

Most brutal thing in my life.

"You just getting off work?"
"Mmmhmmm..."
"Are you a doctor?"

I hate, hate, hate it when my barber talks. I want them to be 100% concentrated on the job, not on making small talk.

Granted, every single patient of mine probably thinks the same about me in the proc suite.

Reactions: 3 users