"Best"/Most Respected MDs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
MacGyver said:
1) Before the surgery, the surgical team went public claiming that the possibility of death as a direct result from the surgery was as high as 90%

That number was purely made up by Carson, he could never have had any kind of real scientific idea what the actual percentage was. I'd say that was a very conservative estimate as well (but who really knows? NOBODY).

Maybe in ten years, they could have been separated safely as technology and science progress?

MacGyver said:
2) The twins went thru extensive psych counseling and were cleared of depression by multiple psychiatrists.

3) The twins were absolutely adamant that even if death was the result of the surgery, they'd still rather take the chance than stay conjoined. They stated this MULTIPLE times in the press conference before the surgery.

Part of our jobs as doctor's is to talk patients out of doing things that are crazy.

Members don't see this ad.

I'd like to nominate Dr. Guido Rivera, plastic surgery, Miami private practice. He holds the record for the most breast augmentation surgeries in the country. He has perfected the $1000 45 minute strip mall boob job, and he turned it into a successful chain franchise. Wait until you see his yacht!

i would like to include Dr. Spencer Gay at UVA's Radiology department - wrote the Radiology Recall textbook

Receptionist: "What clinic did you say you were from, Dr. Van Nostrand?"
Dr. VanNostrand: "That's correct."

Sledge2005 said:
That number was purely made up by Carson, he could never have had any kind of real scientific idea what the actual percentage was.

1) that number was not Carson's, the surgical team discussed it and came to a consensus on their best estimates.

2) This was a pioneering type of surgery. There is no scientific data to back pioneering surgeries. For the first heart transplant operation, there was zero scientific data on its effectiveness or mortality.

3) Just because there is no established scientific data for these kinds of surgeries, does NOT mean that its impossible to come up with a well-reasoned estimate. Thats what the docs in question did. Collectively, they had operated on thousands of conjoined twins. The years of experience between them is enough to come to a reasonable estimate. These werent ordinary pediatric neurosurgeons, all of them had tons of experience in conjoined twin separations.

I'd say that was a very conservative estimate as well (but who really knows? NOBODY).

I'd take Dr. Carson and the surgical team's professional opinion over yours any day of the week. How many conjoined twins have you separated? If you have a good source of info that disputes the numbers (i.e. another pediatric neurosurgeon who has lots of conjoined twin experience) then let me know. Otherwise, I'm taking their opinion over yours.

Part of our jobs as doctor's is to talk patients out of doing things that are crazy.

Translation: My poor patients are way too stupid and childlike to understand what I'm saying. I need to dumb it down for them and protect them, because they couldnt possibly make an informed decision with the facts/professional opinions/science we have available.

Sledge2005 said:
That number was purely made up by Carson, he could never have had any kind of real scientific idea what the actual percentage was. I'd say that was a very conservative estimate as well (but who really knows? NOBODY)

You should sincerely attempt to stop kidding yourself into believing it was a one man show:
A team of 28 doctors and 100 medical assistants were involved in the surgery.
Furthermore, the process was supervised by Doctor Keith Goh (not Dr. Benjamin Carson), who led the surgical team that parted the Nepalese twins...

If you want to be a hater, that's your business, but it's more than ridiculous of you to run around here spewing fabrications...

klooless said:
You should sincerely attempt to stop kidding yourself into believing it was a one man show:
Furthermore, the process was supervised by Doctor Keith Goh (not Dr. Benjamin Carson), who led the surgical team that parted the Nepalese twins...

If you want to be a hater, that's your business, but it's more than ridiculous of you to run around here spewing fabrications...

Carson was definitely the surgeon getting the most press about it and seemed to be the main one in charge of the most difficult part of the operation. I think a lot of people just worship Carson and don't want to admit that he did something wrong.

VentdependenT said:
Art Vandalay as well.

Ah, yes. New York City, correct? Incredible physician. I believe he went into business with a Proctologist, no?

Quit the Carson hating. He's my freakin' role model. You win some you lose some. You can't win them all and in Carson?s case, there are very few dashes in losses column. Carson has performed MANY a successful groundbreaking procedures including separating conjoined twins. This ridiculous talk about him feeding his ego is utterly absurd. Dr. Carson is an extremely religious, extremely passionate and considerate physician with an impeccable track record and reputation. Since becoming the youngest Director of Pediatric Neurosurgery in the history Johns Hopkins (33), Carson has for the majority of his professional career been the man for the seemingly impossible tasks.

I posted on here on [I believe] the first page. I am a patient of Carsons :) I, along with many others, hold him in the highest esteem. He's a brilliant surgeon. Hello, all surgery doesn't have a 100% success rate. He's been very successful, and goes where others don't want to go. I'm sorry if you're in an idealistic world where no one dies, and everything is happy go lucky. When your work is very public, and you take on what others refuse to touch because of complexity, your failures are going to be touted even more than your successes. I wouldn't want to be a patient to any other neurosurgeon but him. He definately puts a person at ease--imagine being a parent waiting to see if your child has a neurologic impairment that will hinder them for the rest of your life. Not all doctors can do that; he's way up there in my book just from my small and minimal interaction with him.

terpgirl said:
YAY Ben Carson :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: He is/was my pediatric neurosurgeon, my parents took me to him before he was famous and my parents had many wonderful things to say aout him--a very nice and personable guy!!

I think Carson is a great man and has contributed a lot to pediatric neurosurgery, such as perfecting the technique of hemispherectomy for intractable seizures, but there is no question he has a huge ego as well. He wrote his autobiography and called the book, "Gifted Hands". Seeing this title, it's hard to conclude he's a modest man. Does he deserve to have a huge ego, and did undertaking this operation was at least partially for ego boosting, maybe yes and maybe not. We can argue indefinitely about this and get nowhere.

#1- Fred J. Epstein (New York) and #2- Ben Carson (JHU) are nevertheless perhaps the two most famous pediatric neurosurgeons in the country.

Docxter said:
I think Carson is a great man and has contributed a lot to pediatric neurosurgery, such as perfecting the technique of hemispherectomy for intractable seizures, but there is no question he has a huge ego as well. He wrote his autobiography and called the book, "Gifted Hands". Seeing this title, it's hard to conclude he's a modest man. Does he deserve to have a huge ego, and did undertaking this operation was at least partially for ego boosting, maybe yes and maybe not. We can argue indefinitely about this and get nowhere.

Fred J. Epstein (New York) and Ben Carson are nevertheless perhaps the two most famous pediatric neurosurgeons in the country.

Dr. Carson named the book Gifted Hands because he sincerely believes that God has blessed every person with a distinct talent. He believes that his talent or gift from God is the ability to have sturdy hands. He also believes that God has blessed him with a unique perception of objects. (Including the human body)

Docxter said:

#1- Fred J. Epstein (New York) and #2- Ben Carson (JHU) are nevertheless perhaps the two most famous pediatric neurosurgeons in the country.

Let me get this straight. You critique Carson for having a large ego, when in fact you have made your own ego enormously apparent on the radiology forum, hurling insults back and forth to those whom you dont consider to be on your level.

You are indeed a hypocrite, sir and its painfully obvious you've never even met the man.

I suppose now you are going to tell me that your professional opinion on neurosurgery supercedes Carsons. You have not the talent, nor the experience to make such a judgment. Establish a career in neurosurgery, treat the same kinds of patients that Carson treats, and THEN come back to us with a critique. Until then, your "opinion" on whether he was right or wrong is worthless.

klooless said:

Yes, be a hata! We need some pioneering neurosurgeon playa hataz around here!!!

Masonator said:
I'd like to nominate Dr. Guido Rivera, plastic surgery, Miami private practice. He holds the record for the most breast augmentation surgeries in the country. He has perfected the $1000 45 minute strip mall boob job, and he turned it into a successful chain franchise. Wait until you see his yacht!

What is the name of the franchise? JiffyBube?

I have utmost regard for Dr Carson. Infact I have respect for every person in every medical field who is innovative and has contributed to advancement in medicine.
The fact is that to do something new and different in every medical field requires guts and courage along with competence and determination which these people have. A name that comes straight to mind is Dr Christian Bernard (South Africa) who was the first surgeon to do cardiac transplant.
These people are highly competent and brilliant in their fields. But one thing that also drives them (apart from will to take medicine ahead) is a sense of self-uniqueness, an ambition to be famous in a way no one else has been. Different people describe it in different ways as ego or sense of celebrity or whatever. It all comes down to whether a person's motivation is more for medicine or fame and in what proportion and there is no way to judge that.
The other truth is that these are the people who take medicine forward.

AMMD said:
What is the name of the franchise? JiffyBube?

Dr. Rivera is also a pioneer like Dr. Carson. He was the first to experiment with " conjoined cleavage separation". Everyone else thought he was crazy until they saw his handiwork. There is such a fine line between genius and insanity.

LTbulldogs said:
Dr. Carson named the book Gifted Hands because he sincerely believes that God has blessed every person with a distinct talent. He believes that his talent or gift from God is the ability to have sturdy hands. He also believes that God has blessed him with a unique perception of objects. (Including the human body)

Sincerely believing that he and his hands were blessed by god doesn't exactly convince me that he's modest. Anyway, I'll admit Carson is a very good neurosurgeon, never said he wasn't. People really love him though, and that has as much to do with his personal skills as it does his surgery skills. I think due to his personality, he's hyped up to be better then he really is and his ego did get in the way of with the iranian twins. There's no way to ever prove either side of the argument though, so it's kind of pointless.

I read in an interview that Dr. Carson wanted to stop the surgery and perform more tests when technical difficulties were encountered. His suggestion was to perform the surgery in over several days. The patients family stated that the twins would have wanted the surgery to go forward.
Dr. Carson stated that he felt like he was going into the jungle without a gun at that point.
I had the pleasure of hearing Dr. Carson speak at a med school commencement ceremony. He is truly gifted. The man is great. Those who attempt to go where most would never think of going should be respected for their vision and gumption.

CambieMD

Dr. Feliciano - trauma surgery
Grady Hospital

Disclaimer--I got my information about Carson from very credible (expert)source, who actually consulted on the case and reviewed the twins' chart during the planning stages of the operation.
1.) There was a reason they performed the Iranian conjoined twin separation attempt in Singapore--because no American or European hospital would let them near an OR.......why?
2.) Carson himself quoted a 50% mortaility rate for ELECTIVE surgery, which is insane (even I know this, and I haven'te ven started med school). It is usually below 5% if I am remembering correctly.
3.) THe chances of survival were effectively zero, and many surgeons in-the-know who consulted on the case warned Carson of this (assuming he didn't know it himself). The location of fusion involved the midsagittal sinus, which no neurosurgeon would f*ck with.
4.) In conclusion, the operation was essentially physician assisted suicide.
Why did Carson do it? He is the best, so he might have thought there was a slight chance, even though there wasn't. ALso, he has an ego the size of Texas--very, very true--and he loves the publicity. He is undoubtedly a great man and surgeon, but this was a huge mistake.

DeBakey
CT Surg
Baylor

the god of ct surgery. half of the instruments/techniques bear his name. and he's got the wise look down!
i'm not sure he's still practicing though.

Carpentier
CT Surg
University of Grenoble, France

pioneered valve annuloplasty.

Benjo said:
Disclaimer--I got my information about Carson from very credible (expert)source, who actually consulted on the case and reviewed the twins' chart during the planning stages of the operation.
1.) There was a reason they performed the Iranian conjoined twin separation attempt in Singapore--because no American or European hospital would let them near an OR.......why?

Thats a flat out lie. American hospitals were never asked to consider the surgery. The plan from teh beginning was to do the surgery overseas.

2.) Carson himself quoted a 50% mortaility rate for ELECTIVE surgery, which is insane (even I know this, and I haven'te ven started med school). It is usually below 5% if I am remembering correctly.

BULL****. You are lying again. They had a publicly broadcasted news conference 2 days before the surgery. Carson along with the other docs PUBLICLY stated the mortality rate was 90% according to their professional opinion.

3.) THe chances of survival were effectively zero, and many surgeons in-the-know who consulted on the case warned Carson of this (assuming he didn't know it himself). The location of fusion involved the midsagittal sinus, which no neurosurgeon would f*ck with.

There are many patients that Carson has operated on that "no surgeon would touch." Whats your point? Why dont you go to those people and tell them that Carson was wrong to do the surgery. I bet they would beg to differ with you.

4.) In conclusion, the operation was essentially physician assisted suicide.
Why did Carson do it? He is the best, so he might have thought there was a slight chance, even though there wasn't. ALso, he has an ego the size of Texas--very, very true--and he loves the publicity. He is undoubtedly a great man and surgeon, but this was a huge mistake.

1) You've obviously never met Ben Carson. I doubt you've ever heard him speak period.

2) Your professional judgment is suspect at best. I think I'm going to take the word of the world's pre-eminent pediatric neurosurgeon over yours. BTW, I dont believe these "phantom" colleagues you talk about exist. Please give me their names. Let them speak out on this if they feel so strongly on it. Tell them to get out of the closet and stand up like someone with a backbone.

Dr. Cuts said:
2 Caribs
1) Adam Brochert, MD - author of the "Crush" series & Rads resident

2) Dr. Cuts - Rads resident (fine... will be Rads resident in a few weeks ;)) & international mogul-to-be

Nice mullet.

dsm-sb said:
DeBakey
CT Surg
Baylor

the god of ct surgery. half of the instruments/techniques bear his name. and he's got the wise look down!
i'm not sure he's still practicing though.

Carpentier
CT Surg
University of Grenoble, France

pioneered valve annuloplasty.

DeBakey still maintains an office (right down the hall from where I am sitting). The rumor is that he still assists on occassion (in his 90s?).

http://www.debakeydepartmentofsurgery.org/home/content.cfm?content_id=287

no wonder the first thing you see when you enter TMC is a big-ass bronze bust of him.

I remember reading about the surgery in Wired magazine, of all places:

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/11.10/twins.html

Some quotes:

"Finally, with the new vein in place, Ohata released the clamps and let blood pump through the vessel. For an hour, everything worked perfectly. Then, just as they were about to begin carefully cutting the two brains apart, the flow decreased and a clot formed in the grafted vein. Pressure in the brain didn't spike, which meant that blood wasn't backing up - it was taking an alternate path. The 3-D images showed no other vessels that could carry that much blood. Ohata surveyed the exposed area, and that's when he saw it: the edge of a massive vein near the base of the women's skulls. The team glanced at the image guidance monitor - this was what the x-ray vision was supposed to show them. But according to the model, the vein didn't exist.

Ohata collapsed in a chair. The neurosurgeons were stunned. They picked up a polymer model of the twins' heads that had been generated from the VR rendering. Crimson plastic veins snaked through the interior of the translucent skulls, but there was nothing at the base.

It was the beginning of the end. "At that point, I felt like a person heading into a dark jungle to hunt a hungry tiger with no gun," says Ben Carson, a pediatric neurosurgeon from Johns Hopkins Hospital. The most experienced member of the team, he had previously separated three sets of conjoined infants. In the Bijani case, the surgeons thought the new imaging technology would give them an edge. Instead, it had helped lead them into this jungle and offered no hope of getting out. Within 24 hours, Laleh and Ladan Bijani were dead."

[...]

"Goh himself is unafraid of taking on the hardest cases. And he freely admits that separating twins can be good business. "For institutions that want to raise their profile - that want to get their name out - twins can be important. There are hospitals that will do it because it is important for their group. Twins provide hospitals with a level of exposure that money can't buy."

[...]

"By early 2003, Raffles was playing up the Iranian twins. The hospital dubbed the surgery Operation Hope and plastered the Bijanis' photos all over its Web site and in-house promotional newsletter.

Yet even Goh and the team he assembled for the separation pegged the chances of success at no more than 50 percent. "From a medical perspective, there are good craniopagus twins and there are bad craniopagus twins," says Shahidi, the director of the Image Guidance Labs. "All the good, young twins had been scooped up. I don't want to sound too harsh, but the Bijanis were what was left."

[...]

"Then, on Monday afternoon, after the top of the skull had been removed and the 16-hour bypass had been completed, Ohata saw what had eluded the image-guidance system: the vein that swelled like a water balloon and was now the twins' primary drainage system. It hadn't shown up in any of the pre-op models.

Carson and Goh grabbed the polymer model and stepped out of the operating theater. The twins' family gathered around, scanning the doctors' faces for any sign of what was happening. Pointing to the model, Goh explained that the blood was draining in ways he hadn't foreseen. It complicated the surgery. If they continued, at least one twin was likely to die.

The doctors asked the family if Ladan and Laleh would want the operation to continue knowing that the odds of survival had dropped drastically. The answer: The twins wanted the surgery to go on no matter what - Laleh and Ladan had made this clear before going under anesthesia. Carson argued that the operation should be called off. He proposed stabilizing the sisters, conducting more tests, and finishing the separation in a series of stages spread over a few weeks. But Carson wasn't the team leader.

Goh was faced with disaster. As he saw it, if he called off the surgery the twins risked infection and stroke and would likely die from the incomplete separation. He felt that his team had already altered the blood flow of the brain beyond the point of no return. The surgery would continue."

[...]

"In the days following the Bijanis' deaths, the Koreans found the money for the surgery and were successfully separated by Goh on July 22. It took just four and a half hours. The markets reacted favorably, and volume on Raffles spiked again. The stock had fallen 10 percent after the Bijanis died, but it never collapsed. With news of the Korean separation, it nearly matched its two-year high. Apparently, traders felt that the media coverage of the ill-fated Bijani case had been good for the hospital in the end. "It put Raffles on the world map," says Kevin Scully, a health care analyst at NetResearch Asia, a Singapore-based equities firm. "The stock has done quite well. Raffles is already in the black, and we predict it will double its profits and earnings in the next two years."

Goh is even more direct. "In health care economics, there is a move toward gaining market share. Cases such as the Bijanis do bring some benefits."

Just not to Ladan and Laleh Bijani."

Most respected MD is one who is best with is patients, good to the rest of the staff and makes boat loads of cash......debakey schmaky..most people dont really give a hoot

MacGyver said:
Thats a flat out lie. American hospitals were never asked to consider the surgery. The plan from teh beginning was to do the surgery overseas.

BULL****. You are lying again. They had a publicly broadcasted news conference 2 days before the surgery. Carson along with the other docs PUBLICLY stated the mortality rate was 90% according to their professional opinion.

There are many patients that Carson has operated on that "no surgeon would touch." Whats your point? Why dont you go to those people and tell them that Carson was wrong to do the surgery. I bet they would beg to differ with you.

1) You've obviously never met Ben Carson. I doubt you've ever heard him speak period.

2) Your professional judgment is suspect at best. I think I'm going to take the word of the world's pre-eminent pediatric neurosurgeon over yours. BTW, I dont believe these "phantom" colleagues you talk about exist. Please give me their names. Let them speak out on this if they feel so strongly on it. Tell them to get out of the closet and stand up like someone with a backbone.

Wow, all that emotion! Sorry, but I don't think your opinion on this issue is even close to objective.

This thread is cracking me up and lately I really need that. Since we're on the topic of famous neurosurgeons, I would like to add:
Dr. Andrew Brown from Everwood, CO, also can be found on the WB

On a serious note, in EM
Tintinialli at UNC, editor of main textbook

editor of main textbook

I think some people might take issue with that. Rosen's book is at least as well represented.

MacGyver said:

First off, I may not be a doctor--yet--but I am not a liar and I do not fabricate sources. I also respect an expert's right to the confidentiality of a casual summer conversation sipping iced tea and talking about medicine in his backyard. The man told me his opinion in strict confidence because it is something that most people would respond to just the way you did--they see something on the news and assume it is true, so anything that contradicts their fluffy views of Carson and his "gifted hands" is perceived as pure blasphemy. Get some perspective--how many neurosurgeons that consulted on the case have you talked to about this? True, my knowledge may not match up, but at least I can think rationally about something and not get inflamed like a two-year old throwing a tantrum. Good god--I sincerely hope you do not have a license. Grow up!

Come on! Let's bump this baby.
Feel free to inform me on those at Barrow in Arizona...rumor has it that they have some hotshots.

dc

Regarding Carson, I think the most important point is that the desicion to go ahead with the surgery was not his but the patients. The patients wanted to seperated no matter what the cost.

Carson is well aware that he is a public figure but I believe he was chosen for his expertise and not just for his fame.

That said Fred Epstein (NYU), Spetzler (Barrow), and Brem (JHU), Park (Wash) that spine guy from Barrow, and Leland Albright (Upitts) seem to be the big dogs in ns.

However, academics no longer hold the prestige they once did - other than the older guys.

I didn't follow the medical side of the twins case much at all - I was too busy trying to learn medicine for mere mortals.

However, the one thing I clearly remember was the case that the patients made for themselves - it was articulate and totally convincing. They were both lawyers, right?

Anyway, physician-assisted suicide is when a doctor helps a person give up on life. This was not in any way what these women were asking for. They were fighting for life. I'm glad they were listened to, and that their wishes were respected, irrespective of the risks.

The argument that the twins wanted the surgery is a good one in favor of Carson. However, part of the job of physicians is to guide their patients to the best choice and not let them do anything crazy. For example, I read one case where a general surgeon got sued for performing an operation on one of his old patient that was really in a neurosurgeon's domain. Even though he initially advised her to see a neurosurgeon, she begged the gen surgeon to do the operation and as a result he caved in and the outcome was very bad. The general surgeon was rightly sued for performing the operation. So my point is, just b/c the patient asks you to do something, doesn't mean it's okay.

Sledge2005 said:
The argument that the twins wanted the surgery is a good one in favor of Carson. However, part of the job of physicians is to guide their patients to the best choice and not let them do anything crazy. For example, I read one case where a general surgeon got sued for performing an operation on one of his old patient that was really in a neurosurgeon's domain. Even though he initially advised her to see a neurosurgeon, she begged the gen surgeon to do the operation and as a result he caved in and the outcome was very bad. The general surgeon was rightly sued for performing the operation. So my point is, just b/c the patient asks you to do something, doesn't mean it's okay.

Ok, but in this case someone who is not qualified to do neurosurgery is doing neurosurgery (I assume this from what you're saying). That's just bad medicine. But in the Carson case, there are very few people in the world who would be capable of performing the surgery, and ego-stroking or no, he was widely regarded as one of the most capable people of doing the job. In other words, if anybody could do it, he could. If that wasn't true why was he called for from halfway across the world to do the operation?

Yes, a doctor should discourage patients from doing anything crazy, and a doctor can refuse to do a surgery if he/she thinks it's a bad idea. But a doctor's duty is also to listen to the patient, and see their condition through their own eyes, because the doctor is not the one with the disease. If the patients would rather take the chance of death than go on being conjoined, then that's how they feel. Think about how awful it would be permanently joined to someone at the top of your head, and how many of the things we take for granted are impossible for someone like that. It's the same with things like euthanasia. A doctor can refuse to take part in something like this, but wanting to die may be the "right choice" for someone who is suffering. You can't really judge that for other people, only for yourself.

You may think that doing a procedure with such a high risk is the wrong thing to do, but both the patients and doctors decided it was the right thing to do even though there was significant risk (and I find it hard to believe you could be misinformed - was anyone *surprised* that separating two people who shared brain vasculature entailed a high risk of death??). Also, surgery would have never gotten to where it is now if we had always stopped ourselves whenever we entered unknown territory. Inevitably some people have to take the hit so that others later on can benefit. It's a tragedy that these things happen but it's how the field of medicine has worked for centuries. Equating this with outright murder is asinine.

Sledge,

I hear what you're saying, dude, but your argument doesn't work for me.

As I mentioned, it wasn't just because the patients wanted something that I feel it was right that they got it. Their argument for the surgery was cogent, independent and rational. And they were asking the most appropriate people in the world to do the work. I don't think anyone had the right to deny them.

To whoever said Carson did this in part due to ego...how can you make that assumption? Do you know him? If you don't, then I would highly recommend the 3 books he has written "Gifted Hands" "Think Big", and "The Big Picture". I think you'll realize what kind of man he truly is.

And although the twins unfortunately did not make it, this was their choice. They knew the risks.

Ultimately, A LOT has been learned from this operation, which will help countless people in the future and further progress the advancement of neurosurgery.

The people who are saying Carson is arrogant/cocky have never met him. They have no clue as to what his personality is.

He spoke at a local college when I was in high school. Listening to him, and reading Gifted Hands are what made me decide to become a physician. He really is an incredible, humble, amazing person. Definitely blessed. Check his book out sometime if you get the chance.