Best MD/PHD applicant qualifications

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BioChemAg2016

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good afternoon all,

I just graduated at A&M with a BSc in Biochemistry, and I am now working at UTSW as a research assistant. I am clearly on this forum because I want to be an MD/PHD.
However, I am unsure as to what are some qualifications I would need to be a competent applicant. I intend in taking full advantage of my new position at UTSW, and applying to the MD/PHD program here.

This is where I am now in terms of qualifications:
  • Two years of undergraduate research (glycobiology and genetics on Drosophila)
  • Trilingual (not sure if that helps)
  • My degree in biochemistry at A&M has been "certified" by the American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
  • One year of research experience at the U.S. Department of Agriculture (microbiology on cotton)
    • Although I did not publish, I have a lot acknowledgements since I prepared a lot of figures that were used in published papers.
  • As of today, a research assistant at the Children's Research Institute at UTSW.
So there it is, not as plentiful as I'd like, and I am clearly not in any way prepared to apply.
I was thinking I could put out a list of things that I could do to put myself in a better position to apply. Anything you could or advice would be very helpful!

• Publish my research findings
  • Shadow physicians
  • Volunteer work (what type???)
  • Certifications (what type???)
  • I've been thinking about tutoring young adults
Thank you everybody ahead of time for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

GPA
MCAT
Research with evidence of driving a project and accompanied by strong LORs (publications are quite helpful, but are not necessary)

minimal shadowing
minimal clinical/volunteer work

Members don't see this ad :)
GPA
MCAT
Research with evidence of driving a project and accompanied by strong LORs (publications are quite helpful, but are not necessary)

minimal shadowing
minimal clinical/volunteer work
This. Also your gpa and mcat are critical because they can help you get your foot in the door. Make sure you have like a 3.7 cumulative and a 514 or higher mcat to have a good chance

I would need more details. What is your cGPA and sGPA? Have you taken the MCAT or when do you plan to take it?

Sorry for the late reply--just finished my first week of work, and my schedule has been a bit hectic still.

My GPA is poor, below a 3.0. I've been thinking about completing an SMP, Master's Program, or some other type of post-bacc program since I am sure this will greatly affect my competency. What do you think about this? I have yet to take my MCAT too.

You should really consider doing an MD and PhD separately. A sub 3.0 GPA makes it difficult to even get into an MD school, let alone an MD/PhD. Maybe retake some courses in a post-bacc to fix your GPA and apply to MD and PhD programs separately and do one first and then the other.

Oh my. Below a 3.0. How far below?

You are going to be a long shot for medical school to begin with. MD/PhD programs are even more competitive.

You need to focus on getting into medical school or graduate school. Even semi-competitive graduate programs are not going to be open to you at this point.

Your best option will be to re-take the courses with your worst grades. DO programs allow for grade replacement, which will give you your fastest path to medical school. MD programs do not.

You will need to sit down and do some calculations as to how many courses you need to retake and/or take now with straight As to get your GPA to at least 3.3, preferably 3.5+.

MCAT will also need to be strong of course. The better the MCAT is, the more it will help you, however even a very high MCAT score does not make up for a 3.0 GPA.

Reactions: 1 users
Oh my. Below a 3.0. How far below?

You are going to be a long shot for medical school to begin with. MD/PhD programs are even more competitive.

You need to focus on getting into medical school or graduate school. Even semi-competitive graduate programs are not going to be open to you at this point.

Your best option will be to re-take the courses with your worst grades. DO programs allow for grade replacement, which will give you your fastest path to medical school. MD programs do not.

You will need to sit down and do some calculations as to how many courses you need to retake and/or take now with straight As to get your GPA to at least 3.3, preferably 3.5+.

MCAT will also need to be strong of course. The better the MCAT is, the more it will help you, however even a very high MCAT score does not make up for a 3.0 GPA.

I'm sitting at a 2.984. So from what I am understanding is that I need to retake some courses in a DO program? Not at the university level?

No. You re-take the courses as an undergrad or post-bacc. Once your GPA is at least 3.3 with the re-takes and you have a decent MCAT score, then you can apply DO.

Reactions: 1 user
No. You re-take the courses as an undergrad or post-bacc. Once your GPA is at least 3.3 with the re-takes and you have a decent MCAT score, then you can apply DO.

Ok, so I'm applying to a DO because they will accept the retakes? Whereas MD programs do not?

How will being in a DO programs help me in entering an MD program or PHD program?

How will being in a DO programs help me in entering an MD program or PHD program?
I think what Neuronix is trying to say is that your GPA is not good enough to get into MD/PhD programs or MD, so you're better off just going straight for a DO school once you fix your GPA.

Last edited:
I think what Neuronix is trying to say is that your GPA is not good enough to get into MD/PhD programs or MD, so you're better off just going straight for a DO school once you fix your GPA.

So, just give up on pursuing that type of career?

So, just give up on pursuing that type of career?
Don't give up on trying to be a doctor and researcher, but the odds of getting into an MD/PhD program with your GPA is slim to none. I'm not trying to be a dick I just wanna be honest.

Reactions: 1 user
To reiterate:

If you want a clinical component to your career, you need to go to medical school. You can do research as a DO or MD. You will need to open yourself to options for research during medical school, residency, fellowship, and beyond. You can also find opportunities to obtain a PhD during or after medical school.

There are combined DO/PhD programs. But, they are uncommon and I don't know how competitive they are. If you can make yourself competitive enough for DO with a high MCAT score, that might be an option for you.