Best Indian Med Schools For Nri's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi guys,
im in the same position as sum other ppl from Canada who are in gr.12 and are trying to find other alternatives to becoming a doctor faster... and i have very similar questions to wat mahesh (the above mssg) has posted. If anyone knows any of the answers can u plz help out...it is a little urgent because we have to choose now and apply pretty soon..so if u guys know how the system works plz help me out...do people from KMC actualli get residencies in the u.s or do they have to wait for a long time and what are the common places for getting ur residencies?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey does anyone have any information on getting back to north america for internship? I'm a canadian citizen and im half way through 2nd year right now at MSRMC. I heard some rumours of people going back and i think that would be wicked if its possible.. anyways if anyone knows anything .. pros/cons.. or if its even possible .. please let me know.. Thanks :)

Hey does anyone have any information on getting back to north america for internship? I'm a canadian citizen and im half way through 2nd year right now at MSRMC. I heard some rumours of people going back and i think that would be wicked if its possible.. anyways if anyone knows anything .. pros/cons.. or if its even possible .. please let me know.. Thanks :)

My experience with SRMC is worst, I submitted my application last year so far I haven't heard anything from them yet. I sent several emails and also called several times so far no response. I just would imagine the quality of education. Anytime of the day you call there is no response and some of the telephones don't work at all. I am not sure they carry Harvard International Emblem - is that a fake one. Don't waste your time and money on this college. There are lot of better colleges such as Manipal etc. Ofcourse fees in this college is almost over 160K dollars. Careful with your money and the time in the campus.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys. Im pretty much in the same situation. I live in the US and am currently in 12 grade with a gpa of 4.2. I have taken AP chem, but not biology or physics. Right now, im planning on going to SRMC. I just want to know whether it is a good idea to do this. I've lived most of life here in the US(since 2nd grade) and I want to go to a college that is reasonably comfortable and has a good curriculum. I also want to be sure that I can come back to the US after i am done with my studies. So my final question is, which college do you think best fullfills all my conditions. Replies from previous NRIs would be extremely helpful.

hi,
Im looking into srmc also and its been a couple of years since the last posts so I was wondering if someone could summarize how it has changed and in which areas it has improved or gotten worse.

PLEASE ANY INFO WOULD BE NICE!

I don't know anything about SRMC, but I do know that it's incredibly important to not only look at the college, but also the area around it. As an NRI, it's generally easier to live in a metropolitan area, where you are able to live a more comfortable life, and you have access to a variety of things whether they be entertainment, food, beauty and health products, or even different types of people.

Most Indian colleges do require a physics, but it doesn't have to be AP.

When looking at a college, look up its credentials, and see if you can get a hold of any NRI's that have already graduated from there. Speak to people at the university, and get information about coming back to your home country.

Does anyone know about King George Medical College in UP for NRI's? All of my family lives in Lucknow + my father and grandfather went to KGMC, so I am really interested in going.

Thanks!

KGMC is now known as CSSJM Medical Univ. To the best of my knowledge it never had an NRI quota and never will have one in future. It's a govt run institution and such institutes don't generally have any quota for NRIs. Only places which have NRI quotas are privately run colleges and univs who are in the market just to make money and NRIs is most lucrative demographic for their kind.

But, if you are a foreign national then there are few seats available (5- IIRC) at AIIMS to which you can apply through proper channels.

I am from Manipal. But i will say that AIIMS and CMC Vellore have no comparison. They are the best institutes in the nation and among the best in Asia. They never take foreign students. AIIMS has just 50 MBBS students a year, out of which 5 or 10 are foreigners. It is extremely competitive. The best brains in the nation apply for these places. They are the harvard and hopkins of India (well Asia, if you want the real picture). The students are exposed to almost everything possible in the field of medicine. There are other places too but those are for postgrad education.
The only reason manipal is possible for nris and foreigners is because they have seats reserved for them because Indian students cannot occupy those positions. Indian students like me came thru a competitive entrance exam unlike my batchmates who came thru the NRI/Foreigner category which had no competition.
For all American students, I would never advice them to study medicine abroad because they have a hard time for residencies. But I would say that Manipal and many other med schools in India provide excellent medical education. Best of luck.

Hi! I'm an NRI applying for undergrad medicine in india...ive gotten conditional offers from bharati vidyapeeth in pune and from manipal univ. in mangalore (waiting list for manipal campus).
i know manipal is a great university...but i have some concerns...i'm a little worried about life there, as i heard hostels are very strictly regimented, with curfews as early as 10pm. im a hard worker but i also need freedom and to be able to go out when i want! is there any nightlife at all?
on the other hand, bharati vidyapeeth is not as good a university but it is in pune which is supposed to have a very good university life.
i know education is more important but if i am not motivated enough i will nto be able to perform...so i need to know exactly what life in manipal is like...could you help me out? what is there to do in your free time, are there places you can go out to or not many? cuz i've heard manipal is quite rural...
if you can give me info on both campuses, it would be great...

thanks!!

can anyone please tell me about NRi medical college in mangalagiri,guntur. How the facilities will be is it better or manipal is better. which is cheaper

Want to tell my experience with Sri Ramachandra medical collage/Chennai

Applied for my son's admission in NRI quota and had bad experience with Management and also with Administrative staff in the collage.Always say lies and while in the process , met so many brokers for getting the admission and every one is asking bribe to get the admission. Finally joined in different collage in Chennai

1. AIIMS New Delhi takes 5 foriegn national students each undergraduate batch ...
2. I am unable to tell u the exact criteria for admission , but it requires the candidates name to be forwarded from the country of citizenship
3. Recently the fees has been set to $ 75000
For the more practical minded :
4. Each student gets his own 14 ft X 8 ft room in the hostel for the duration of course
5. There is no central AC in the hostels , but u can buy and put ur own AC in the rooms
6. Lecture Halls, Dissection Halls , OR's etc are centrally Air conditioned
7. Unfortunately most ward areas are not Air conditioned
8. Excellent student - resource ratio ... there is more in terms of resources for teaching than in any other hospital
9. V Good Library facilities for those interested
10. A sizeable percentage of UG's go to the US so well established precedent and guidance : Almost 2/3 rds of students giving their usmle's from AIIMS get scores in excess of 250

Ps : Each year 2 of those seats goes to bhutan ( though i am unsure of this )