BEST European Med School in English?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doclm

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am considering applying to a foreign medical school, and was wondering which is the best for bringing people back to the states?

Looking for a 4yr medical education,
Already have B.S. in Biology with a 3.8GPA, But a 4 and 6 on VR of MCAT!

Also, anyone have comments on:

KMU, poznan
st. charles, prague
st. christopher, luton

Thank you for your help :)

Members don't see this ad.

doclm said:

With a 4 or 6 on your MCAT, have you considered retaking the MCAT after some more serious study? Is English a second language for you?

charles is not a 4 year program.

avoid st chris. do a search as to why.

kmu may be a slightly better option than st chris, but from my personal experience with students from poland, it seems to be a pretty poor choice. it is lacking CA approval, which would knock it off my list immediately.

if you want a 4 year, american style education, go to one of the better carib schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
doclm said:
Hello,

I am considering applying to a foreign medical school, and was wondering which is the best for bringing people back to the states?

KMU, poznan
st. charles, prague
st. christopher, luton

Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland all the way!!! woohoo!!! team rcsi! !!! heheh =P :p

Flopotomist said:
With a 4 or 6 on your MCAT, have you considered retaking the MCAT after some more serious study? Is English a second language for you?

No, I guess I'm am just more science minded.

I can read a Biology/Chemistry/Physics text in no time, however when it comes to realizing what the Author is trying to say in some Art Literature, I cannot get the answers correct. On the other hand these, VR scores are with 30 hours of sleep deprivation, due to serious MCAT Test Anxiety, both times. However, I have never had a problem with regular tests.

Took Kaplan course and highest score ever recieved out of the 8 practice tests was a VR7.

However I was still able to pull through with ok science scores on practice and real MCAT. Practice (BS12, PS10) Real (BS9, PS7)

I am a very dedicated student with B.S. in Biology, GPA 3.8, and have worked CNA 5yrs and Lab Technologist at Mayo Clinic for 1.5yrs. I am just as "bright" as many of the DOCs that I communicate with each day.

I am stuck in a horrible position of wanting to become a DOC so bad, however not even a DO school won't accept me. Someday, this is something to laugh about :laugh: , but for NOW I need to get into the best school that will accept me and give me a medical education that I can easily bring to the U.S.

Please! Any suggestions of some really good foreign schools. :)

Thank you for your time. :thumbup:

doclm said:
Hello,

KMU, poznan
st. charles, prague
st. christopher, luton

Hey Doclm,

I just wanted to offer that there are several opportunities for someone in your situation.

There are several school that consider the weight of each applicant as a sum of their experiences both scholastically as well as through their non-academic pursuits.

In Europe, the four medical program at the Medical University of Varna has strong academic ties internationally, and the 4-year program is in English. Work is structured in accordance with general North American standards, and the school is accredited (if this is important to you) in California. You have to write the USMLE's respective step 1 & step 2 if you wish to do US placements, and are eligbile for the Canadian boards and residency application. You will also be Brtitish boards eligible.

In Canada, two schools of medicine are available, McMaster university and the Northern Ontario Medical school. Look up each one's site on the web as per requirements. They are problem-based curriculae, but do not have the same typical scientific structure of traditional medical programs (there are pros and cons to each type of educative structure - pick what fits your style and needs best).

Lastly, Sint Eustatius Medical school is a good up-and-comer along with Saba, Ross...etc. their staff are incredibly friendly, helpful, and respond to you promptly.

Good luck to you, and wishing you every success in your pursuits!

Cheers :thumbup:

Ginsie said:
In Europe, the four medical program at the Medical University of Varna has strong academic ties internationally, and the 4-year program is in English. Work is structured in accordance with general North American standards, and the school is accredited (if this is important to you) in California. You have to write the USMLE's respective step 1 & step 2 if you wish to do US placements, and are eligbile for the Canadian boards and residency application. You will also be Brtitish boards eligible.

1) The English language program at Varna is NOT APPROVED by the California Medical Board (the Bulgarian language program is approved). Please note that the phrase "including English program" is not appended to the school on the California list of recognized schools on their website.

Compare their listing to schools in Hungary and the Czech Republic, where English language programs have been approved. If you don't believe me, contact the Foreign Schools Liaison at the California Medical Board, Ms. Pat Park, whose contact info can be found here.

2) The 4 year program is new and only exists in English. Graduates of the four year English program are not automatically eligible for registration in Europe. Contact the GMC for questions about this.

Miklos

St. Chris is a good school, but is limited in where you can work in the US. For example, Ca, Tx, and kansas are impossible for the time being.

Besides that, it is an excellent school. If you have any questions, feel free to email me.

just let me throw my two cents in here, no St. Chris is absolutely NOT a good school or idea thats a funny one, doesnt it have borrowed facilities and sits on top of a Burger King, now if you deny these then you are for absolute certainty lying here. Secondly you need some serious help with your test anxiety, I mean a 3.8 and you are considering a foreign school???? dude that is just completely INSANE.... have you considered Ambien or Benadryl the night before the test... an exaggeration of course, but do not throw in the towel of becoming a US med student just yet.. you should work hard on the MCATs, even with say straight nines and maybe an eight, or maybe even straight eights with your GPA you should for sure be able to get into a DO school..... which is miles apart of a difference in terms of your goals of becoming a US liscenced physician, believe me, once you step on foreign territiory, you will wonder why in the hell that you wanted to become a physician in the first place, but then again you can and will get used to it.... but no you should definitely with your stats - your GPA being higher than mine, but I was from somewhat of an Ivy league undergraduate institution - with a hell of a proven record of acceptance into medical schools but I was just too burned out too apply or pay any kind of attention to that stuff, urs is similar to my stats though at one time overall.... better MCAT and good GPA, just lack of motivation and didnt apply properly... and then right away after undergrad I decided to attend an international school, and am now in a residency program with almost all US grads so does it really make a huge difference where you come from? no not at all.... but the key is how you get there... and attending an international medical school is ANYTHING BUT EASY let me tell you..... but I agree with someone else saying here saying that one of the top Caribbean schools might be a better option if you are short of time and do not really want to spend another year on MCATs and reapplication I mean now that is a pain in itself, namely SGU, Ross, or SABA do not even consider any other Caribbean school, and please stay away from St. Chris...
good luck.

andwhat said:
just let me throw my two cents in here, no St. Chris is absolutely NOT a good school or idea thats a funny one, doesnt it have borrowed facilities and sits on top of a Burger King, now if you deny these then you are for absolute certainty lying here. Secondly you need some serious help with your test anxiety, I mean a 3.8 and you are considering a foreign school???? dude that is just completely INSANE.... have you considered Ambien or Benadryl the night before the test... an exaggeration of course, but do not throw in the towel of becoming a US med student just yet.. you should work hard on the MCATs, even with say straight nines and maybe an eight, or maybe even straight eights with your GPA you should for sure be able to get into a DO school..... which is miles apart of a difference in terms of your goals of becoming a US liscenced physician, believe me, once you step on foreign territiory, you will wonder why in the hell that you wanted to become a physician in the first place, but then again you can and will get used to it.... but no you should definitely with your stats - your GPA being higher than mine, but I was from somewhat of an Ivy league undergraduate institution - with a hell of a proven record of acceptance into medical schools but I was just too burned out too apply or pay any kind of attention to that stuff, urs is similar to my stats though at one time overall.... better MCAT and good GPA, just lack of motivation and didnt apply properly... and then right away after undergrad I decided to attend an international school, and am now in a residency program with almost all US grads so does it really make a huge difference where you come from? no not at all.... but the key is how you get there... and attending an international medical school is ANYTHING BUT EASY let me tell you..... but I agree with someone else saying here saying that one of the top Caribbean schools might be a better option if you are short of time and do not really want to spend another year on MCATs and reapplication I mean now that is a pain in itself, namely SGU, Ross, or SABA do not even consider any other Caribbean school, and please stay away from St. Chris...
good luck.

Let me make this perfectly clear, you have no Idea what you are talking about! St. Chris has three, count them, three buildings. I have attended the last 3 semesters and the school has over 800 students in the UK and US.
You really ought to get your facts straight! Canadians, British and Americans go to the school now. On one side of ONE building are shops, Other major Universities in the UK have the same thing. Bashing a school to make yourself feel superior is not the way to go through life.

You can get lic in the UK as well as the US and Canada. Please stay away from advice such as the one given out by the quoted poster they are way too biased.

whuds said:
Let me make this perfectly clear, you have no Idea what you are talking about! St. Chris has three, count them, three buildings. I have attended the last 3 semesters and the school has over 800 students in the UK and US.
You really ought to get your facts straight! Canadians, British and Americans go to the school now. On one side of ONE building are shops, Other major Universities in the UK have the same thing. Bashing a school to make yourself feel superior is not the way to go through life.

You can get lic in the UK as well as the US and Canada. Please stay away from advice such as the one given out by the quoted poster they are way too biased.

no Cali, Texas or Kansas, now that doesnt seem like a good option to me....plus does the school have a PROVEN track record of placing their students into residencies? Wow, I am bashing a school, and I didnt even mention what school I am from, now that is some SERIOUS bashing. Its called stating the truth, no offense to you, but facts or no facts straight, the graduates of the school and residency placement, now if you can provide me with a proven list here that over the past 10 or so years, maybe even 5 but not less than that preferably, and lets see where the students of the school matched into residency into the United States, because who cares if they matched in Bulgaria or Russia, this thread is about obtaining a US residency.

andwhat said:
no Cali, Texas or Kansas, now that doesnt seem like a good option to me....plus does the school have a PROVEN track record of placing their students into residencies? Wow, I am bashing a school, and I didnt even mention what school I am from, now that is some SERIOUS bashing. Its called stating the truth, no offense to you, but facts or no facts straight, the graduates of the school and residency placement, now if you can provide me with a proven list here that over the past 10 or so years, maybe even 5 but not less than that preferably, and lets see where the students of the school matched into residency into the United States, because who cares if they matched in Bulgaria or Russia, this thread is about obtaining a US residency.
Yes they have a proven track record with residency (100s all over the USA, England and Canada), and you show you have little real understanding of how things work with medical school, no medical school "places" grads in residency that is called "The Match". The school is only 5 years old. It is not a "first choice school" but if one has trouble getting in it is a choice. I for one am transferring to another school in the Carribean but that doesn't change the validity of St. Chris as a Med school. You state the above to leave the impression you may be from St. Chris ( I don't care where you are from) but thats impossible since you don't know where it is nor how many buildings they have nor residency by Grads nor how many we have Fully Lic in the states from the school, (5 and counting now in different states). Why do I and other's seem to "defend" St. Chris, because of people like you who post "don't go to St. Chris" and have the facts wrong.

I think a school should get a fair "shake" These schools do not have the nice amenities like the ones in the USA where there is Big money. They are small private schools. Many grads are doing well from them, but the schools also accept people who have had lower grades and are not prepared for med school, don't do well on the USLME and do not end up practicing but some still do very well. Just about every med student in the USA who gets in there succeeds so you are going to see more "Failure" in these offshore schools

Lastly posting to bash another school is wrong, the current students don't like it cause it's just plain rude, It's okay to point out problems but there are 2 sides to everthing and to post like this and state that your opinion is the only right one is wrong.

As far as states one can get a Lic in, well there are about 5 you can't at this time, thats true for all the Other Schools like St. Chris in Europe (there's 2 more I know of) and in the Carrib except AUC,Ross,SGU and St. Matts I think it's 3 or 4.

Good Luck.

whuds said:
Yes they have a proven track record with residency, and you show you have little real understanding of how things work with medical school, no medical school "places" grads in residency that is called "The Match". The school is only 5 years old. It is not a "first choice school" but if one has trouble getting in it is a choice. I for one am transferring to another school in the Carribean but that doesn't change the validity of St. Chris as a Med school. You state the above to leave the impression you may be from St. Chris but thats impossible since you don't know where it is nor how many buildings they have nor residency by Grads nor how many we have Fully Lic in the states from the school, (5 and counting now in different states). Why do I and other's seem to "defend" St. Chris, because of people like you who post "don't go to St. Chris" and have the facts wrong.

I think a school should get a fair "shake" These schools do not have the nice amenities like the ones in the USA where there is Big money. They are small private schools. Many grads are doing well from them, but the schools also accept people who have had lower grades and are not prepared for med school, don't do well on the USLME and do not end up practicing but some still do very well. Just about every med student in the USA who gets in there succeeds so you are going to see more "Failure" in these offshore schools

Good Luck.

no ur absolutely wrong, I am currently in residency, and my school always lists the graduates of the school, and residency placement, yes I went through the expensive match process last year. The school should at the very LEAST have a list of graduates and hospitals that they matched in, of course the school has very little or nothing to do with the match process, as it is up to you to set up the ADTS to your favor, and monitor it every day and set up your interviews. I am merely stating that a foreign school should have a list of graduates that matched into US accredited residency training programs. For instance, my school although above average, wouldnt say excellent, but definitely getting there, does not have alot of students matching into residency in the US each and every year, they kind of go in groups of years, that is why it was of critical importance for me to do all of my clinicals in US hospitals, associated with other residency programs. Cannot believe that you are trying your best and hardest to explain to me what the match process is :laugh: it just made my day, thanks for the laugh it was a good one. Ok so to make things cleaaaar here, the school should have a list of its graduates and where they matched into accredited US residency training programs, I reported it before I graduated, as almost everyone else did. You think that a school should get a "fair shake" with only 5 graduates supposedly and there is not even a list of where they are doing residency, a "fair shake" of possibly over 150 thousand dollars, not to mention how to mention how expensive cost of living is in England, and attending a school that doesnt even have an established track record of where their grads are doing residency in the US? Man lucky that you are not a lawyer. Thats a very poor argument give a school a "shake" even though its a decision that you have to live with for the REST of your life, but to advise someone to just take a shot at it. Funny post there! I appreciated it! Its kind of the same principle, I am preparing a central line into someone with no peripheral access, and just cannot place it properly for whatever reason, and then I look at the nurse and med student, and I ask "wanna give it a shot?" :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
andwhat said:
no ur absolutely wrong, I am currently in residency, and my school always lists the graduates of the school, and residency placement, yes I went through the expensive match process last year. The school should at the very LEAST have a list of graduates and hospitals that they matched in, of course the school has very little or nothing to do with the match process, as it is up to you to set up the ADTS to your favor, and monitor it every day and set up your interviews. I am merely stating that a foreign school should have a list of graduates that matched into US accredited residency training programs. For instance, my school although above average, wouldnt say excellent, but definitely getting there, does not have alot of students matching into residency in the US each and every year, they kind of go in groups of years, that is why it was of critical importance for me to do all of my clinicals in US hospitals, associated with other residency programs. Cannot believe that you are trying your best and hardest to explain to me what the match process is :laugh: it just made my day, thanks for the laugh it was a good one. Ok so to make things cleaaaar here, the school should have a list of its graduates and where they matched into accredited US residency training programs, I reported it before I graduated, as almost everyone else did. You think that a school should get a "fair shake" with only 5 graduates supposedly and there is not even a list of where they are doing residency, a "fair shake" of possibly over 150 thousand dollars, not to mention how to mention how expensive cost of living is in England, and attending a school that doesnt even have an established track record of where their grads are doing residency in the US? Man lucky that you are not a lawyer. Thats a very poor argument give a school a "shake" even though its a decision that you have to live with for the REST of your life, but to advise someone to just take a shot at it. Funny post there! I appreciated it!

I don't think you read the post well and you twisted it a little
I said 100s in residency and 5 full licensed Doctors. Please read the entire post.

You are wrong about the match all the school does is certify you Graduated!
Never read such nonsense, I have a freind who has already been offered a residency in His 1st clinical year. How did the school have a hand in that?

Good Luck

St chris has hundreds of grads in most states of the US (not cali, texas or kansas). The majority of them match into university programs and some even match into ultra competitive fields such as ER, Opthalmo, etc. The lists have been posted numerous times. St. Chris is not for everyone.. some people love it and some hate.

Personally, I have obtained an amazing education, passed all my US licensing exams on the first try with good scores, recieved glowing recommendations from all of my US attendings during clinicals, recieved an excellent LOR from a world famous US surgeon, and so far have recieved 6 invitations to interview for residency at university programs... and it is barely October. So, my experience has been great.

BTW, the closest burger king to st chris is 300 yards away in the mall. Sorry.

whuds said:
I don't think you read the post well and you twisted it a little
I said 100s in residency and 5 full licensed Doctors. Please read the entire post.

You are wrong about the match all the school does is certify you Graduated!
Never read such nonsense, I have a freind who has already been offered a residency in His 1st clinical year. How did the school have a hand in that?

Good Luck

I can definitely provide you with a list of graduates and residencies obtained if you wish from my school, I did my residency placement information online and then sent it back to my school, and if you read the 5th pathway list, or any Caribbean school grad list, esp the top three schools there, then there are always the list of graduates and which specialties and residencies that they obtained, dude you still just dont get it do you? HUNDREDS IN RESIDENCY?????? From that school??? now if there are HUNDREDS in residency, then I think that you need to provide a list of at the VERY LEAST twenty names and hospitals for prospective students, our school can do that, and your school should be able to as well. Yes you are absolutely and completely correct I do not disagree with you whatsoever that the school has no obligations whatsoever to obtain your residency information, nevertheless it should if it wants to attract students wishing to practice in the US. Wow your friend has already been offered a residency in his first clinical year I am so so excited!!!! Yipeeeee!!! :laugh: does that have ANTHING WHATSOEVER to do with my question ha ha ... my question is so where is the list of grads and approved and accredited residency training hospitals that these students from St Chris supposedly matched in the US? I am asking you this but you always try and cover it up, its funny. I am not trying to be some jerk, but you are evading my questions repeatedly.

andwhat said:
I can definitely provide you with a list of graduates and residencies obtained if you wish from my school, I did my residency placement information online and then sent it back to my school, and if you read the 5th pathway list, or any Caribbean school grad list, esp the top three schools there, then there are always the list of graduates and which specialties and residencies that they obtained, dude you still just dont get it do you? HUNDREDS IN RESIDENCY?????? From that school??? now if there are HUNDREDS in residency, then I think that you need to provide a list of at the VERY LEAST twenty names and hospitals for prospective students, our school can do that, and your school should be able to as well. Yes you are absolutely and completely correct I do not disagree with you whatsoever that the school has no obligations whatsoever to obtain your residency information, nevertheless it should if it wants to attract students wishing to practice in the US. Wow your friend has already been offered a residency in his first clinical year I am so so excited!!!! Yipeeeee!!! :laugh: does that have ANTHING WHATSOEVER to do with my question ha ha ... my question is so where is the list of grads and hospitals that these students from St Chris supposedly matched in? I am asking you this but you always try and cover it up, its funny. I am not trying to be some jerk, but you are evading my questions repeatedly.

Look I really don't want to argue, I'm transferring to another school, I think St. Chris is okay, We have a list on the private student web, the school does not want to post the Residencys (I don't know why?) One of the real problems is the lack of infromation we get at this school. I do not think it is a good first choice but If you want to become a Doctor and get a "shot" at it, It's one of the places to go. The school has about 1000+ students at this time, 300 to 400 in Luton and about 600 to 700 in the USA, our 5th semester is now in the Cleaveland.

As for my new school, Don't know yet just applied for transfer and waiting.
I'm transferring cause of personal reasons, (I'm married with 3 children).

Good luck

whuds said:
As far as states one can get a Lic in, well there are about 5 you can't at this time, thats true for all the Other Schools like St. Chris in Europe (there's 2 more I know of) and in the Carrib except AUC,Ross,SGU and St. Matts I think it's 3 or 4.

Well, IMO, that's highly misleading.

1) St. Christopher's is (for the thousandth time) NOT a EUROPEAN SCHOOL (c.f. Senegalese charter).

2) The number of states in the US that do not allow for licensure is not fully known. You know this better than I do. One will only find out when graduates apply for licensure. This is an additional risk for the potential student and one that should not be taken lightly.

3) Regarding the UK, yes, you might be able to gain registration, but one will first need to gain limited registration which, in all likelyhood means taking the PLAB (again, not a European school).

4) European schools (not like St. Christopher's) have far fewer problems when it comes to licensure.

Miklos said:

1) St. Christopher's is (for the thousandth time) NOT a EUROPEAN SCHOOL (c.f. Senegalese charter).

2) The number of states in the US that do not allow for licensure is not fully known. You know this better than I do. One will only find out when graduates apply for licensure. This is an additional risk for the potential student and one that should not be taken lightly.

3) Regarding the UK, yes, you might be able to gain registration, but one will first need to gain limited registration which, in all likelyhood means taking the PLAB (again, not a European school).

4) European schools (not like St. Christopher's) have far fewer problems when it comes to licensure.

You know you always show up and twist things what part is misleading?

GMC web site says they accept our grads for registration. They dropped the Limited Registration now it just says "Registration". Go there and read it.
St. Chris has 5 Fully Lic Dr.s in the USA right now.
St. Chris has a letter from Canada stating they accept our grads for Lic.
Never said it was easier
Also at St. Chris it's english, Clinicals in USA, not Europe, you may have European Med programs in English but you still will have to learn the Language for clinicals.

Never said it was a "European school" yes it is chartered in Senegal, so what?
All the above is true. Do I need to post everything to please you?
I don't care if I please you, you went to another school not St. Chris.

I post the truth as I know it.

Good Luck.

Miklos said:

yeah Miklos I am "sniffing" a whole lotta bias here as well, and when one tried to post these types of logical questions on their wonderful St. Chris website or even Value MD where they can moderate, magically the posts like this one disappeared within minutes or even seconds or even banned that particular user and username. This school has decepted people for many many years, and just doesnt stop as evidenced here today. I just spoke with the coordinator for the hell of it loooong time back to transfer and do my clinicals in the States, and he told me no problem, and then he asked me "want fries with that?" lol..... I am not so much knocking the school, I am knocking the imposters that try and make the school glamorous. I know for a FACT the school that I am from is ANTHING but glamorous, but you come out with a solid MD, and we have various lists of residency placement of our graduates, unlike St. Chris, once again the posters have proven disappointing to me, cannot back up even a single argument and talk with no meaning or solidification.

England is abolishing the entire "limited registration" system.

andwhat said:
yeah Miklos I am "sniffing" a whole lotta bias here as well, and when one tried to post these types of logical questions on their wonderful St. Chris website or even Value MD where they can moderate, magically the posts like this one disappeared within minutes or even seconds or even banned that particular user and username. This school has decepted people for many many years, and just doesnt stop as evidenced here today. I just spoke with the coordinator for the hell of it loooong time back to transfer and do my clinicals in the States, and he told me no problem, and then he asked me "want fries with that?" lol..... I am not so much knocking the school, I am knocking the imposters that try and make the school glamorous. I know for a FACT the school that I am from is ANTHING but glamorous, but you come out with a solid MD, and we have various lists of residency placement of our graduates, unlike St. Chris, once again the posters have proven disappointing to me, cannot back up even a single argument and talk with no meaning or solidification.

Agian You are biased, I mod the forum on VMD for the past 3 months and I'm not allowed to delete posts. It's volunteer there like here on SDN. Foul language and personal attacks as well as Trolling are prohibited there.

SDN though seems to tolerate Trolling a lot more.

Look you can bash any school but it makes you look small.

If you beleive that go to the VMD site right now there are a ton of negative posts there out in the open! Yes you get banned for personal attacks and TOS violations just like here. (BTW the school does not have a posting web site)

Good luck.

whuds said:
Agian You are biased, I mod the forum on VMD for the past 3 months and I'm not allowed to delete posts. It's volunteer there like here on SDN. Foul language and personal attacks as well as Trolling are prohibited there.

SDN though seems to tolerate Trolling a lot more.

Look you can bash any school but it makes you look small.

Good luck.

goin out with a "bang" huh? lol :laugh: :laugh:
yeah I must have posted there more than three months ago definitely and I asked several questions along these lines, and never ever got any straight answers whatsoever, and my posts were always deleted. I am not personally attacking anyone, or trolling and most certainly am not bragging about my school, so I ask you what do I have to lose? What do I possibly gain by stating the truth?? that your school doesnt have a proven US residency record, how in the heck is that trolling, its called asking an intelligent and informative question that deserves a little explanation now and then doesnt it? If I am an incoming student to a new med school internationally that is the FIRST question in my mind, does the school have a proven track record, and where are the graduates. Now if you cannot provide that information then go ahead and feel free to attack the world, yes EVERYONE in the ENTIRE UNIVERSE is out to get you :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: thanx for making my day thats for sure.

andwhat said:
yeah I must have posted there more than three months ago definitely and I asked several questions along these lines, and never ever got any straight answers whatsoever, and my posts were always deleted. I am not personally attacking anyone, or trolling and most certainly am not bragging about my school, so I ask you what do I have to lose? What do I possibly gain by stating the truth?? that your school doesnt have a proven US residency record, how in the heck is that trolling, its called asking an intelligent and informative question that deserves a little explanation now and then doesnt it? If I am an incoming student to a new med school internationally that is the FIRST question in my mind, does the school have a proven track record, and where are the graduates. Now if you cannot provide that information then go ahead and feel free to attack the world, yes EVERYONE in the ENTIRE UNIVERSE is out to get you :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: thanx for making my day thats for sure.

I never have Deleted a post? The only one who can do it is the Super Mods (Most are MDs) and the Site Admin. I'm not allowed to dissclose the info, I do not work for the school or you. Some grads have asked that we do not post stuff on the net because of this kinda stuff. It never ends. I've followed the happinings of the school for 3 years now. I will remain the mod for St. Chris even after I transfer, it is not a requirement of VMD that I go to the school.

Good luck

whuds said:
You know you always show up and twist things what part is misleading?

Attacking me personally proves nothing.

whuds said:
GMC web site says they accept our grads for registration. They dropped the Limited Registration now it just says "Registration". Go there and read it.

As it stands, you still need to go through limited registration. See http://www.gmc-uk.org/med_ed/studying_undergraduate.htm

bts4202 said:
England is abolishing the entire "limited registration" system.

This is true. See for transitional arrangements http://www.gmc-uk.org/register/lr_initial.htm

whuds said:
St. Chris has 5 Fully Lic Dr.s in the USA right now.

This simply proves my point.

St. Chris has a letter from Canada stating they accept our grads for Lic.
Never said it was easier

Good luck getting licensed (or for that matter getting a residency in Canada.)

whuds said:
Also at St. Chris it's english, Clinicals in USA, not Europe, you may have European Med programs in English but you still will have to learn the Language for clinicals.

These advantages (?) IMO must be compared to the costs. St. Christopher's is much more expensive than English language programs in CE (BTW, I'm not in the business of promoting them) and a St. Christopher's degree is worth a lot less when it comes to licensure in the U.S.

whuds said:
Never said it was a "European school" yes it is chartered in Senegal, so what?
All the above is true. Do I need to post everything to please you?
I don't care if I please you, you went to another school not St. Chris.

I post the truth as I know it.

Good Luck.

Please re-read your post:

whuds said:

andwhat said:
yeah I must have posted there more than three months ago definitely and I asked several questions along these lines, and never ever got any straight answers whatsoever, and my posts were always deleted.

OHH, you must be the guy who had 3 screen names, had conversations with himself, and went beserk posting this same stuff over and over and attacking anyone who disagreed with you. You were banned from valuemd for your behavior. Welcome to SDN!

Miklos said:
Attacking me personally proves nothing.

As it stands, you still need to go through limited registration. See http://www.gmc-uk.org/med_ed/studying_undergraduate.htm

This is true. See for transitional arrangements http://www.gmc-uk.org/register/lr_initial.htm

This simply proves my point.

Good luck getting licensed (or for that matter getting a residency in Canada.)

These advantages (?) IMO must be compared to the costs. St. Christopher's is much more expensive than English language programs in CE (BTW, I'm not in the business of promoting them) and a St. Christopher's degree is worth a lot less when it comes to licensure in the U.S.

Please re-read your post:

It's not an attack it's opinion, You twisted things again, St. Chris doesn't exisit floating up in the air! It's in Europe in Luton England, Chartered in Senegal. Are you saying England is not in Europe? LOL.

Yes It is your opinion I'm allowed to have mine, yes limited in Lic In the states by about 5 but not the rest of the world. If you can't get into Medschool any where else then if a person doesn't go to St. Chris they will not go to med school, easy for you to say don't go when you have gone to med school.

Good luck.

Most of this is opinion.

Yes I read my post and you prove my point.

Only for the 5 states you would have trouble with for the other 45 and the reat of the world Your a Fully Lic MD so it's as good as any other!

bts4202 said:
OHH, you must be the guy who had 3 screen names, had conversations with himself, and went beserk posting this same stuff over and over and attacking anyone who disagreed with you. You were banned from valuemd for your behavior. Welcome to SDN!

now with the personal attacks! I am disappointed extremely by your guys behavior here, first of all you guys say your school is great, and then I ask you a few very basic questions, you guys cannot come up with any answers, and now you are bitter and are trying to go on the offensive, no I have never ever been banned or reprimanded from valuemd, just that one or maybe two times I had requested lists of grads practicing in the US, and those posts were deleted unbelievably, you guys are exposed here, and thats sad.

andwhat said:
now with the personal attacks! I am disappointed extremely by your guys behavior here, first of all you guys say your school is great, and then I ask you a few very basic questions, you guys cannot come up with any answers, and now you are bitter and are trying to go on the offensive, no I have never ever been banned or reprimanded from valuemd, just that one or maybe two times I had requested lists of grads practicing in the US, and those posts were deleted unbelievably, you guys are exposed here, and thats sad.

Whats sad people like you want real students who know the deal at this school to go away and not post here. You want your view, factually flawed, as the only view. If I post in contrast to your beliefs I'm biased.

Don't think so you are twisting things again you stated

just let me throw my two cents in here, no St. Chris is absolutely NOT a good school or idea thats a funny one,

You also posted almost one month after this post started to tell everyone that.

Problem is people think they can get the last word and twist everything to make it look like the other debater is attacking or other things.

I can quote you again:
and please stay away from St. Chris..

So you are not on the attack? and Bashing? What about St. Chris do you know as fact? I go to school there and I'm proud of the school that is why I post about it. I'm sorry you have a chip on your shoulder. I'm sorry if you didn't like your school but we like ours and want to see it grow.

yeah Miklos I am "sniffing" a whole lotta bias here as well, and when one tried to post these types of logical questions on their wonderful St. Chris website or even Value MD where they can moderate, magically the posts like this one disappeared within minutes or even seconds or even banned that particular user and username. This school has decepted people for many many years, and just doesnt stop as evidenced here today.

Attacking again with someone else!

For the last time I do not delete posts! You have proven to have a strong bias. You can't prove that posts were deleted so we are to just believe this calim? This accusation? Who's on the attack HUH? you brought this up I didn't.
BTW there were posts on residencies on VMD so looks like your facts are wrong again!

To post this for the last time I cannot and will not post the residency list here.
I do know most of the residencies but that is in a private web site not owned by the school but by the students themselves. Why do I have to prove anything to you, all you will do is dispute it anyway.

Stop attacking me for posting my own view I'm fair in them and never never dispute that St. Chris is not a first choice but to tell everyone to "stay away" rings of uneeded bias and when you posted the reasons they were wrong.

You said "all you wanted to do was ask a question" well all I want to do is post my view on the school.

St. Chris is in UK but not chartered by the UK but by Senegal,
St. Chris has Fully Lic Doctors in 5 states, 100 s in residency (stop asking for a list not going to happen call the school yourself ).
3 Buildings in Luton and a new campus in Cleaveland for the 5th semester.
1000+ students and growing.

This is all true no matter how you try to twist it.

Good Luck

Here is a list of some of the Residencies posted on VMD
Not from Me!

http://www.valuemd.com/thread29910.html

It's all I can do since as I said I need permission from my fellow Alumni to post.

Yes I care about my fellow Alumni don't you?

Don't see how this matters that much though? What does this have to do with anything but to argue?

Some of the more notable matches were at: Mayo Clinic, UMass, Tulane, LSU, Cook County, Mercer University, Rush Medical College, Univ of South Florida, MSU, Univ of Wyoming, Dalhousie Univ, Dartmouth, Univ of Tennessee, and many others (got bored of typing)..lol

as has been posted a thousand times before:

besides the people in the thread linked above, this is the schools official listing. It is NOT comprehensive, but a partial list including only people who specifically gave the school permission to publicize their information: http://stchris.edu/alumni/resmatches.php

In response to the flawed comments above by other posters, I have made a sticky at Value MD on the Match from this year it started in May 05. It is a partial list.

http://www.valuemd.com/forum45.html

It's funny that others can think demanding something makes them right.

No posts were ever deleted but any Trolling behavior is not allowed on that web site. Sorry if it affects some of the other posters.

Good Luck.

whuds said:
Only for the 5 states you would have trouble with for the other 45 and the reat of the world Your a Fully Lic MD so it's as good as any other!

Unfortunately, noone knows what effect the charter issue will have on licensure in the other 45 states. To state as you do, that the degree is as good as anyother one in those states is (IMO) highly misleading.

The only way this will be resolved is when graduates get residencies and apply for licensure.

In the meantime, a St. Christopher's degree is a gamble even for those 45 'other' states.

Miklos said:
The only way this will be resolved is when graduates get residencies

St. Chris has residents in 26 states

bts4202 said:
St. Chris has residents in 26 states

That's great and I sincerely hope that they all get licensed.

But, both of us know very well that most states have minimal regulations when it comes to residency licensure (e.g. only ECFMG certification).

This is not the case for independent licensure. The true test will come when they are closer to finishing their residencies and have the appropriate number of post-graduate years as required for IMGs by the individual state medical boards and start to apply for full licensure.

Miklos said:
That's great and I sincerely hope that they all get licensed.

But, both of us know very well that most states have minimal regulations when it comes to residency licensure (e.g. only ECFMG certification).

This is not the case for independent licensure. The true test will come when they are closer to finishing their residencies and have the appropriate number of post-graduate years as required for IMGs by the individual state medical boards and start to apply for full licensure.

Actually I've read the laws and rules for 40 of the 50 states and per the laws and the rules (did this because I'm attending St. Chris and all this discussion, wanted to know the facts) St. Chris grads will have no problems since these rules and laws are all simular and the States where fully Lic Dr.s from St. Chris has happened used to compare, It looks like there are little problems to worry about. Now I know there are those who will argue this. So what it is only an opinion untill St. Chris has fully Lic Grads in all 40 States. Just like Your Foriegn School. Yes I said your school too has to pass the same test to claim the same thing.

whuds said:
Actually I've read the laws and rules for 40 of the 50 states and per the laws and the rules (did this because I'm attending St. Chris and all this discussion, wanted to know the facts) St. Chris grads will have no problems since these rules and laws are all simular and the States where fully Lic Dr.s from St. Chris has happened used to compare, It looks like there are little problems to worry about. Now I know there are those who will argue this. So what it is only an opinion untill St. Chris has fully Lic Grads in all 40 States. Just like Your Foriegn School. Yes I said your school too has to pass the same test to claim the same thing.

Uhmm, actually no.

My school (nor for that matter, any state schools in CE with English language programs) does not have a charter issue.

In addition, my school is approved in California and has hundreds of grads practicing in the U.S., including the most difficult states for IMGs (in other words, it has already met those rules). Plus, it has been around for a couple centuries.

But, this thread and my responses aren't about my school.

Miklos said:
Uhmm, actually no.

My school (nor for that matter, any state schools in CE with English language programs) does not have a charter issue.

In addition, my school is approved in California and has hundreds of grads practicing in the U.S., including the most difficult states for IMGs (in other words, it has already met those rules). Plus, it has been around for a couple centuries.

I disagree, Untill a school is "Approved" by that state there are no Guarantees of Lic. period. How can you argue that? Spartan was "approved" in Cal. and that has been overturned recently. The only way to aviod this is to go to a school in the USA.

Also the charter issue only comes up in 2 states in the US. The other states that cause a problem is a length of time the school has exsisted.

You have just argued that having Lic grads is not enough from a foreign school.

Good luck.

Miklos said:
Uhmm, actually no.

ditto that one hundred percent what Miklos just said regarding my situation personally as well, gosh these St Chris guys really strayed away from the point of the topic of this discussion, a guy with good stats in the US thinking about attending an international medical school, and look what these st chris guys made it to be here, and to top it all off, the name of this thread is BEST MEDICAL SCHOOL IN EUROPE.... now how in the world is it that St. Chris is even a med school considered to be European, you guys really need to find something else to do with your freetime.

andwhat said:
ditto that one hundred percent what Miklos just said regarding my situation personally as well, gosh these St Chris guys really strayed away from the point of the topic of this discussion, a guy with good stats in the US thinking about attending an international medical school, and look what these st chris guys made it to be here, and to top it all off, the name of this thread is BEST MEDICAL SCHOOL IN EUROPE.... now how in the world is it that St. Chris is even a med school considered to be European, you guys really need to find something else to do with your freetime.

Geez as I pointed out you bash and bash, I wonder if you are really a resident how do you have time to do this? I have time since I'm just in school and do not "party". If a few students who really go to the school don't surf and come to this site to balance people like you the only post here would be one sided and say "Don't go to St. Chris". St. Chris's location is Luton England, hence it is in Europe. (Yes Chartered in Senegal)
It's sad how you don't support freedom of speech and freedom of thought!
Good luck

whuds said:
Geez as I pointed out you bash and bash, I wonder if you are really a resident how do you have time to do this? I have time since I'm just in school and do not "party". If a few students who really go to the school don't surf and come to this site to balance people like you the only post here would be one sided and say "Don't go to St. Chris". It's sad how you don't support freedom of speech and freedom of thought!
Good luck

again and again, I am not trying to offend you or anyone else, I am just saying that people should know the truth, I am not a recruiter for any particular school, just give your school some time, if it comes up with the numbers and validity, then speak up all you want and then you can brag about it that its an excellent school. Until then it is a school that is new to the game, and needs to establish its credibility - which takes time, and so far I dont think that its established that quite as of yet. People just need to know the truth.
good luck to you.

andwhat said:
again and again, I am not trying to offend you or anyone else, I am just saying that people should know the truth, I am not a recruiter for any particular school, just give your school some time, if it comes up with the numbers and validity, then speak up all you want and then you can brag about it that its an excellent school. Until then it is a school that is new to the game, and needs to establish its credibility - which takes time, and so far I dont think that its established that quite as of yet. People just need to know the truth.
good luck to you.
Again you have posted and posted against me and yet I have never denied the problems nor the charter of the school but pointed out the facts were wrong.
The school has spent a lot of money in the past 2 years to improve the facilities, much of the infromation out there is wrong and conjecture. I do not defend the school just want the truth told. I have told many people about the school good and bad. I do not think St. Chris is the best school, it has some draw backs.
For me I'm transfering to another school for next semester in the Carribean.
It has nothing to do with what has been discussed. I will transfer within the first year still.

whuds said:
Actually I've read the laws and rules for 40 of the 50 states and per the laws and the rules (did this because I'm attending St. Chris and all this discussion, wanted to know the facts) St. Chris grads will have no problems since these rules and laws are all simular and the States where fully Lic Dr.s from St. Chris has happened used to compare, It looks like there are little problems to worry about.

uh, whuds, i think you are missing the point. the point is there is a risk until you have a licensed grad. and, many other schools do have these grads! so, despite the fact that you read the rules, there is still little certainty that st chris will be good.

since you have read them, i am sure that you noticed that the boards tend to give themselves leeway with regards to who they grant a license to. so, even though there are similar laws in states with current grads, that means pretty much zero.

i would argue that a potential student should only consider states as OK when the school has a verifiable licensed grad. obviously you trust your personal interpretation of the state laws for licensure, but i think the wiser decision is to see what the actual board will rule before considering the state ok.

whuds said:
Just like Your Foriegn School. Yes I said your school too has to pass the same test to claim the same thing.

you know better than this, whuds. there are a lot of schools with an established history and approval in tough states. so, these schools have already passed the test. st chris hasn't even taken the test yet.

as to the original post, what are the "best" "european" med schools. well, i agree that st chris kinda shouldn't even be in this conversation; why?
1.st chris is not a european school. claiming it is is like claiming sgu is a new york school cause they offer clinicals there. it is an african school with a campus in UK. legit euro schools are a completely different animal.
2. best and st chris are still a long way from deserving the mention together. st chris is up and coming with potential. but, there are a lot of far better options, in terms of risk (see above discussions for licensure issues) and as established options. again, not as an attack on st chris per se, but there are a lot of other schools without the issues st chris has.

now, what are the best euro schools in english?
1. UK med schools
2. Irish schools
3. malta
4. hungary/first fac in CR
5. other CR facs/6 year polish
6. 4 year polish
7. everyone else

whuds said:
I disagree, Untill a school is "Approved" by that state there are no Guarantees of Lic. period. How can you argue that? Spartan was "approved" in Cal. and that has been overturned recently. The only way to aviod this is to go to a school in the USA.

:rolleyes: According to the California Medical Board, Spartan was disapproved more than 20 years ago. Calling that recent is stretching this quite a bit.

Hundreds of my school's graduates have been getting medical licenses in the U.S. for decades. Is there a chance that a certain state will ban my school? Sure, but so far, it hasn't happend yet.

My school's curriculum is enshrined in local national law. The NCFMEA has made a decision of comparability. California has always approved the local language program and now all the English language programs are approved.

As neilc puts it:
neilc said:
you know better than this, whuds. there are a lot of schools with an established history and approval in tough states. so, these schools have already passed the test. st chris hasn't even taken the test yet.

Also the charter issue only comes up in 2 states in the US. The other states that cause a problem is a length of time the school has exsisted.

Fine. My school has been around for centuries. What is St. Christopher's track record, again?

You have just argued that having Lic grads is not enough from a foreign school.

Good luck.

No.

I've argued that having a grand total of 5 licensed grads from a school with a charter issue that has been in existence since the year 2000, whose grads are already disqualified from licensure in at least 5 states does not compare (in terms of licensure and therefore the value of the degree) to a school that has been around for centuries, produced thousands of doctors, hundreds of which have been licensed throughout the U.S., as well as having gained approval in tough states.

dont know, like I said I am not trying to offend you guys from St Chris, just stating that there are not enough grads to call it a great school or a great option personally.

Miklos said:
:rolleyes: According to the California Medical Board, Spartan was disapproved more than 20 years ago. Calling that recent is stretching this quite a bit.

Hundreds of my school's graduates have been getting medical licenses in the U.S. for decades. Is there a chance that a certain state will ban my school? Sure, but so far, it hasn't happend yet.

My school's curriculum is enshrined in local national law. The NCFMEA has made a decision of comparability. California has always approved the local language program and now all the English language programs are approved.

As neilc puts it:

Fine. My school has been around for centuries. What is St. Christopher's track record, again?

No.

I've argued that having a grand total of 5 licensed grads from a school with a charter issue that has been in existence since the year 2000, whose grads are already disqualified from licensure in at least 5 states does not compare (in terms of licensure and therefore the value of the degree) to a school that has been around for centuries, produced thousands of doctors, hundreds of which have been licensed throughout the U.S., as well as having gained approval in tough states.

I don't think you want to go down this road with the Eastern European Medical Schools.
1. The English programs in all the Schools have not been Cali approved and you know that.
2. The schools in Russia, some in Hungry, and some in other countries have not been approved for US government loans, this causes a problem and you know this.
3. Unless you can otherwise prove it, the medical institutions in these countries are not equal to medical instutions in the USA.
4. Any student who goes to the Eastern European Medical schools will have some dissadvantage to doing clinicals in Eastern Europe verses doing clinicals in the US and doing the steps there.

I know you will rant and rage on this but it's all true. Maybe I should start posting " the truth" about Eastern European Medical schools, One of them wants 2000 USD for acceptance in their program, this money guarantees it . :laugh:

andwhat said:
dont know, like I said I am not trying to offend you guys from St Chris, just stating that there are not enough grads to call it a great school or a great option personally.
Agreed, Just in the future if you would just tell people to do reasearch thats what I always do. I agree the school should not be the first choice. So I do agree.

Whuds, I was specifically referring to Hungary, except where I used the term 'CE' = "Central Europe", which does not include Russia.

Before I rebut your points, I might remind you that I'm not advising people to come to these schools unless they know exactly what they are getting into. However, in terms of licensure, please see below.

whuds said:
I don't think you want to go down this road with the Eastern European Medical Schools.
1. The English programs in all the Schools have not been Cali approved and you know that.

I was referring to Hungary. All English language programs at all Hungarian (by this I mean Hungarian chartered) medical schools are approved in California. Here is the link, again.

From the medboard website:

Hungary
  • University of Szeged Faculty of Medicine (including English program)
  • University of Debrecen Faculty of Medicine (including English program)
  • University of Semmelweis Faculty of Medicine (including English program)
  • University of Pecs Faculty of Medicine (including English program)
  • University of Albert Szent-Gyorgyi Faculty of Medicine (including English program)
  • Pecs University Medical School (including English program)
2. The schools in Russia, some in Hungry, and some in other countries have not been approved for US government loans, this causes a problem and you know this.

Russian schools are to my knowledge not approved for government loans. Neither is St. Christopher's.

Hungarian schools, thanks to the NCFMEA decision of comparability are eligible for loans. I have heard that Szeged has had problems with loans, but not the other schools. Prospective students from the U.S. need to be sure to call the Department of Education's Foreign Schools Team, whose contact information is listed at the bottom of that same page.

whuds said:
3. Unless you can otherwise prove it, the medical institutions in these countries are not equal to medical instutions in the USA.

Yep. If you go abroad, you are an IMG. No question about that. You have all the disadvantages of IMG status. In addition, the Hungarian (or CE) medical curriculum is not oriented towards the USMLE.

However, my school is a bricks and mortar school with a long tradition of turning out physicians that have been licensed all over Europe and North America.

whuds said:
4. Any student who goes to the Eastern European Medical schools will have some dissadvantage to doing clinicals in Eastern Europe verses doing clinicals in the US and doing the steps there.

You know, that is a downside to going to CE. However, I did plenty of clinicals in NA. I set them up myself. Guess what, I found out that I'm just as good as the natives here.

whuds said:
I know you will rant and rage on this but it's all true. Maybe I should start posting " the truth" about Eastern European Medical schools, One of them wants 2000 USD for acceptance in their program, this money guarantees it . :laugh:

You apparently haven't read my posts here or at ValueMD.

Just some of the things I advise potential students.

1) Do not consider coming to CE unless you know exactly what awaits you. Different culture, different language, different educational system, different expectations. Visit the school and speak to current students (preferably from your home country) to see what it is like.

2) Never, ever use an agent. (Please note that I have posted extensively on this.) BTW, admissions is not a problem. Getting through the system is. Admission is very far from a guaranteed diploma, as the attrition rate is around 50%.

3) Determine potential licensure issues before you come here.

4) Consider budgeting for a USMLE prep class, as the curriculum is not oriented towards passing the exam.

I'm more than willing to openly discuss the problems with Hungarian or CE medical schools.

Whuds, I was specifically referring to Hungary, except where I used the term 'CE' = "Central Europe", which does not include Russia.
Before I rebut your points, I might remind you that I'm not advising people to come to these schools unless they know exactly what they are getting into. However, in terms of licensure, please see below.

May I remind you that I'm a student as well and I do not recruit for any school but have insight to St. Chris after 3 semesters there.

I think it is a choice If you can't get into other schools.

Also a lot of people do not want to go to what you call "Central Europe"
I think Hungry is in Eastern Europe but I may be wrong. Many want an English program. They would also like to be in an English speaking Country.

Now I really didn't want to start anything but I'm tired of all this bickering over This school. Why does it bother you so much that so many are going to the school? More are going to the other schools as well. If you want to keep posting " The Truth" about St. Chris then Others should be allowed to post "The truth" about other schools or is there a double standard on SDN? or VMD?

Post after post here I have stated the draw backs about St. Chris. I have agreed with some posts here but to act like I have no right to post cause I'm positive, well is wrong ( also to post that I'm paid by the school or any nonsense like that is wrong too). You seem to be positive about your school and I would expect that.

Lets stop over stepping here and remember to keep it friendly and stop all this before it gets to be over stated.

Good Luck