Best course for oral boards

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

visceral0775

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Failed oral boards by 0.02 points :(
Any recommendations for oral board prep courses?

Members don't see this ad.

The Illinois ACEP course was excellent when I did it. The set up and flow of the cases closely matched the actual exam and it even took place at the same hotel as the real thing. I'm guessing there are many similar courses out there (AAEM and Ohio ACEP ring a bell), but I'm only familiar with the ICEP one.

I was super paranoid about the oral boards, so I ended up over-preparing. I read Okuda and some other oral boards review book (First Aid maybe?), did the ICEP course, then read the books again. Just being super familiar with the flow of cases and having an internal script to hit all the easy points was probably the most helpful.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Seconding ICEP. I did lots of Okuda and First Aid without a partner leading up to the course. Felt decently prepared going into the course, but got a good deal of useful tips from it that I hadn’t gotten elsewhere. Feedback from the examiners was also generally helpful. They for the most part pointed out high-yield areas to improve on. Wound up passing the real exam by a hair, pretty sure I would’ve failed without the course. It’s expensive but I’d say it’s worth it.

Keep your head up, you’ll pass. This exam is a cynical cash-grab and doesn’t reflect on your abilities as an EM doc.

Reactions: 1 user