Best child psychiatry fellowship with a therapy focus

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

md2be89

To infinity, and beyond!
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
I'm applying to child fellowship this cycle. My dream for my future is to have a large private psychiatry practice with integrative medicine and therapy, with an emphasis on family therapy. In an ideal world I'd stay in the midwest. I know Vermont is known to be excellent for family focused therapy but they didn't match either of the 2 positions they offered last year according to NRMP? Currently the top of my list are U of Michigan, Yale, Brown, Johns Hopkins, Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. Thoughts on others for therapy/the therapy offered at those institutions?

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

If you're looking at the Northeast, you should consider Cambridge Health Alliance in Boston -- they are a Harvard program with a community focus and are renowned for their work in play therapy.

Reactions: 1 users
If you're looking at the Northeast, you should consider Cambridge Health Alliance in Boston -- they are a Harvard program with a community focus and are renowned for their work in play therapy.

Was going to post this as well, agreed.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello all,
I'm applying to child fellowship this cycle. My dream for my future is to have a large private psychiatry practice with integrative medicine and therapy, with an emphasis on family therapy. In an ideal world I'd stay in the midwest. I know Vermont is known to be excellent for family focused therapy but they didn't match either of the 2 positions they offered last year according to NRMP? Currently the top of my list are U of Michigan, Yale, Brown, Johns Hopkins, Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. Thoughts on others for therapy/the therapy offered at those institutions?

Thanks!!

Vermonts family focused therapy is pretty unique in that it compels the family to enter treatment together (Rx if needed) as well as therapy and various integrative approaches, not sure how one can facilitate that if you're a solo private practitioner. Don't let the seats not filling be indicative of program quality. The lack of applicants will ensure that even good programs that are perhaps not in the best geographic areas can go unfilled.

Hello all,

Thanks!!

If the Midwest is important to you, the Chicago CAP fellowships are all pretty good about emphasis on psychotherapy. Lurie will give you the CHOP jr feel if you want to train at an amazing children's hospital and NW has good name recognition despite the heavy heavy turnover in their staff in the past 1/2 decade. UIC and UofC don't have the same name branding as your other big contenders but both have quite heavy psychotherapy training and are happy to have you funnel elective time into even more of that. Rush is a bit more private practice focused but that could also be very helpful since this is your eventual plan.

Each of the midwestern flagship universities all have quite solid programs as well (Iowa, Indiana, Wisconsin, Michigan (as above), Minnesota) and well some are a smidge more biologic (Iowa has this reputation), none are going to leave you wanting in therapy training.

Finally, definitely don't forget about Pitt which is pseudo midwest and pseudo east coast, their psychiatry program is enormous, amazing, and they are well known for some of the best triple boarders in the country.

Reactions: 1 user
From what I gathered from some seniors, family therapy is a component of every child program so you would get it anyway, don't know what you are specifically looking for. Brown does some more supervision in family therapy than other programs but it's overall outpatient is lesser. Yale and Hopkins are very busy programs with lots of calls spread throughout, so you'd get it mostly during specific rotations, no more or less than other programs. Hopkins certainly has more biological inclination. CHA has a reputation of being more psychodynamic focussed, if it has a specific meaning for you. Of other programs the same region, MGH is big on child psychopharmacology but as someone mentioned is considered an excellent nurturing program for whatever your inclination is. I've heard, though busy, it's less busy than Hopkins or Yale but is didactics/supervision heavy, which most therapy interested folks look for. These being Harvard and Yale, it makes sense to keep other excellent options too while applying. As someone mentioned Vermont is particularly known for family therapy. Going mid-west UofC just has mix of everything, I guess stronger on psychopharmacology than anything else. CHOP and Lurie are children's hospital programs, and like most children's hospitals consults, specifically rarer pediatric conditions sorts, are considered stronger in these programs and most therapy stuff is ancillary. If you do consider south, Duke has it's residents spending a lot of time in family therapy, so may be a good fit. There are number of smaller not-so-big-named programs who do a lot of therapy, in fact it's apparently comparatively rarer for programs to have strengths in psychopharmacology instead, so you'll have a lot of options.

Last edited: