Best centers to take Step 2 CS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

la pelua

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which are the best places to take the Step 2 CS? Higher passing rate, best accomodations, ease of traveling, etc...

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

You mean where is the best "standardized" testing center? Odd question don't you think... but here was my thought. Which center was going to have the worst test-takers.... or at least where will I look the best compared to the others. Since I'm an mid-western MD student I figured go somewhere that has the most IMGs as they typically have a harder time with this exam. No offense, its just the facts -- read the other threads before beating me up please. So I decided to go out to Los Angelos. Plus I went to the beach afterward and made it a bit of a vacation... :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
considering most of us take it only once it's hard to ask us to compare the different centers. i went to atlanta and thought it was fine. not good, not bad. mostly annoying because i had to spend so much money to get there. i would just go somewhere close to you or somewhere you wouldn't mind taking a few days of vacation...

They're all right next to the airport in their respective cities, so I'd go to the place where you can get the cheapest airfare and hotel. There was a whole thread earlier about people failing in Atlanta, so I probably wouldn't take it there.

Philly wasn't bad. Although, I have no idea where the airport was relative to the testing center....I drove from VT! Jersey traffic sucks.

I'd say Atlanta is the best, but I'm kinda biased here.

I failed CS the 1st time in LA and I thought I did really well and would pass easily...but alas, I did not.

Retook it in Atlanta, was poorly prepared, made many mistakes, wrote some patient notes that were messy as hell, passed somehow.

the center is relatively close to the airport, you get a discounted hotel rate (with free shuttle to/from airport), and the hotel is walking distance from the test center.

all I gotta say is I love you, Atlanta!!!

Can someone verify the location in Chicago?

It's right next to Cumberland Blue Line train station, which is two stations away from O'Hare airport. The address is 8501 W. Higgins Rd. Midway airport is much farther from the test center, but most planes go to O'Hare.

I failed CS the 1st time in LA and I thought I did really well and would pass easily...but alas, I did not.
Retook it in Atlanta, was poorly prepared, made many mistakes, wrote some patient notes that were messy as hell, passed somehow.
the center is relatively close to the airport, you get a discounted hotel rate (with free shuttle to/from airport), and the hotel is walking distance from the test center.
From Avicena:
I have taken the frikking test TWICE in atlanta ( I am totally torn into pieces. What a shame. ) and I failed twice. Never in my life I have felt so low. I studied like a maniac, I felt sure that I had passed with flying colors, BUT.
When the letter came, new defeat. How the heck did you pass ?

sorry to hear that. Which part did you fail? Did you fail the same section in both exams? I know you are going through a ton of hurt right now, let me try to help because I certainly know terrible it feels to fail this exam, I seriously thought I might quit medicine if I failed for the 2nd time.

here's what I did for the exam the 2nd time: read FA, read USMLE world, watch the PE videos on USMLE world, read Kaplan CS book. Did not practice (because had no time).

Before you walk in the door, write down SPs last name. Write out your mnemonics on your scratch paper (LIQORAAA, PAMHUGFOSS) so when you walk in, you know exactly what to ask, and you can write down the info quickly as you go along. You're also supposed to formulate DDx by looking at the CC, but I didn't do that cuz it took too long.

Knock 3x, and Say: Hello, Mr. X, (smile), shake hands, introduce self as Dr. First and last name. Say: I am a doctor at this clinic/hospital and I will be your doctor today.

Say: First, let me make you more comfortable, then drape the patient.

Ask open ended Qs like: so, what brings you in to the hospital/clinic? or So, you've been having chest pain, please tell me about it...

after they finish talking about their CC, try to express compassion by saying something like "Oh, sorry to hear that, it must be very difficult for you." This was hard for me, I had to practice to make a compassionate face in front of the mirror.

ask LIQORAAA and PAMHUGFOSS for every single SP, regardless of CC. Doing this will earn you major points for Data Gathering, and when they say they smoke, have unprotected sex, use drugs, or whatever, counsel them right away so you get credit and don't forget them later.

once you got enough history down, wash your hands and do the PE.

Make sure to ask permission to do anything, like untying the gown. Tell them what you are doing and ask permission for each step.

if you don't know how to do PEs, watch the videos on USMLE World and just copy them, I did that and my ICE score was super high with an asterisks.

when you are done with the PE, summarize the H&P, give 2 or 3 DDx in layman's terms and explain 2 or 3 diagnostic tests in layman's terms. Then say when all the test results come back, we will sit down and go over them and figure out the best treatment.

ALWAYS do not forget to ask: Do you have any other questions?

then go out and write or type the patient note. I wrote mine and it was messy as hell, but what's important is that it's legible. Follow the format exactly as they have it in First Aid. Using LIQORAAA and PAMHUGFOSS you should be able to write the note easily.

For me, I failed CIS the 1st time, I think because I did not counsel, did not show compassion (or my attempt was not perceived well by the SPs), my closing was terrible, did not drape some patients cuz I thought it was unnecessary. I read up on CIS and tried to fix what I did wrong the 1st time.
I think First Aid does not do an adequate job of explaining CIS or how important it is. If you can, try to grab the Kaplan CS book, it actualy explains what you need to do to pass CIS very thoroughly. You can get a copy off ebay, I got mine for like $10.

And lastly, I think getting the right Dx is not that important, but rather doing all the steps in history taking and PE and interacting properly with the patient is what's important.

anyways, let me know if you need more help or have any Qs.

Good luck and don't worry, you are perfectly capable of passing this exam and you WILL pass it.

Reactions: 1 user
Took it in ATL and passed just fine. Was scared after reading posts about the rash of failures that occurred back in August or so but I had already committed to the testing center. Read parts of the Kaplan CS ONLY; started a few days before the exam. Felt like it prepared me (or I guess refreshed me since my school makes us do an OSCE EVERY year and even on some rotations like Medicine and Surgery). If anything, I would say it's one of the best resources because it was right on point. In terms of sites, I heard there were some car break-ins in Chicago or something. Didn't hear anything like that in Atlanta.... LOL. GO FALCONS!!!

Have not gotten my results yet but, I took in it Phili - wasn't too bad.

Just in case anyone is taking it there ... don't forget to take some money to pay for parking. I guess I was naive thinking that after I paid $1000 to take the freakin exam they would give me free parking. Nope ... you have to pay $20 to park (and I had only $12).

Anyway, just a heads up!

Came here to say this. ATL was great and the Country Inn and Suites is just across a parking lot from the testing center. Cost me $60 for my hotel (on a Tuesday night), and they have a free shuttle to/from the airport.

The hotel bar could be a little better since I took the PM test and could've used a drink after, but whatever.

I would recommend 6 months minimum... the dates fill up fast especially in the period of May-Aug when most US students take it.