Best bachelors degree to get before getting MHA/MPA/MPH?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

snrussell09

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I already have a decent plan post-undergraduate degree but I am having second thoughts on getting my bachelors in Biology. I plan on getting a MHA, MPH or a degree similar but what degree will best prepare me for those and/or help me get a job while I am in graduate school? I have two years of my bachelors done so far, mainly basics.

I assume something business related but Biology just seems too general and more research oriented when by itself. Especially when a Bio degree alone isn't all that useful. I could be wrong but this is what I have heard.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

Edit: I haven't completely decided on the grad school but right now, I'd like to stay in Texas so A&M has a nice selection of degrees so that may be the school. If it helps.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I already have a decent plan post-undergraduate degree but I am having second thoughts on getting my bachelors in Biology. I plan on getting a MHA, MPH or a degree similar but what degree will best prepare me for those and/or help me get a job while I am in graduate school? I have two years of my bachelors done so far, mainly basics.

I assume something business related but Biology just seems too general and more research oriented when by itself. Especially when a Bio degree alone isn't all that useful. I could be wrong but this is what I have heard.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

Edit: I haven't completely decided on the grad school but right now, I'd like to stay in Texas so A&M has a nice selection of degrees so that may be the school. If it helps.

It doesn't matter really.

I know that some MPH programs would want applicants to have some coursework in the sciences while MHA programs want applicants to have some coursework in accounting, stats, and economics.

I majored in political science and I plan to matriculate into an MHA program.

You can just stick with your major in bio and take some classes in stats, econ, and accounting. That way you'd complete the pre req for MHA programs and MPH thangs

Last edited:
Yeah I guess the undergrad part doesn't matter as much after you get the graduate degree but with a bio degree there really isnt any training involved just general knowledge taught so I'm not sure that an employer would be interested other than maybe an internship.

I see you have applied to USC and Columbia, would you being going out of state for both?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I guess the undergrad part doesn't matter as much after you get the graduate degree but with a bio degree there really isnt any training involved just general knowledge taught so I'm not sure that an employer would be interested other than maybe an internship.

I see you have applied to USC and Columbia, would you being going out of state for both?

nope. i'll be applying this coming fall 2011. yes, i would be going out of state if i were to go to one of them.

I feel that a biology degree would be great as an undergrad degree! However, if there's a more specific science degree within the biology field, I would do that. It would show more focus and targeted interest.

Doing biology provides you with good lab and research experience, and general biology is specific enough that you're learning something significant yet vague enough that you can apply it as background to many internships, depending on how you choose to use it in your cover letters. Aside from a pre-med degree, biology or biology-related fields seems to be the most relevant. Yes, you can't do much with it after bachelor's but since you plan to already get a post-undergrad degree, it shouldn't matter very much! I'm sure majoring in social sciences would also be just as helpful but I don't see how it would be MORE helpful than sticking with what you're doing now.

Just remember to do the pre-reqs to multiple programs, sort of like what Veggie Monster said. If you're not sure WHERE in public health you want to go, at least do a little bit of economics, statistics, etc - subjects that are usually strongly preferred by many programs. Hopefully you have electives to spare for them =)

Thanks for your response, I appreciate it. I'm actually going up to my current school to see which classes I can take but I definitely have some electives open to fit some of those pre-reqs in there. I may take like an intro to business class for something similar.

Are you getting an MPH as well, or are you getting a professional degree along with it? I have recently heard that MDs are now getting these kind of degrees to go along with their MD or other degrees they may have.

Thanks for your response, I appreciate it. I'm actually going up to my current school to see which classes I can take but I definitely have some electives open to fit some of those pre-reqs in there. I may take like an intro to business class for something similar.

Are you getting an MPH as well, or are you getting a professional degree along with it? I have recently heard that MDs are now getting these kind of degrees to go along with their MD or other degrees they may have.

I'm just getting an MSPH at the moment - no professional degree attached. I have some interest in the medical field but I'd like to work and enjoy the rest of my 20s before I even consider med school, haha.

However, you are very right in that more and more MDs seem to be getting their MPHs as well. It seems like the medical programs make it very convenient to do so and getting an MPH is a great complement to a medical degree. It provides a good holistic point of view for something med students get used to looking under a microscope.

if you know you want to go into public health, i would encourage you to get a BSPH; although, not every school has an undergraduate public health program.

-waystinthyme

I'm just getting an MSPH at the moment - no professional degree attached. I have some interest in the medical field but I'd like to work and enjoy the rest of my 20s before I even consider med school, haha.

However, you are very right in that more and more MDs seem to be getting their MPHs as well. It seems like the medical programs make it very convenient to do so and getting an MPH is a great complement to a medical degree. It provides a good holistic point of view for something med students get used to looking under a microscope.

Yeah I hear you on that, the main reason I decided against getting an MD or becoming a Radiologist or Anesthesiologist was because of the schooling, I just dont wan't to spend all that time in school.

That worries me because it seems like the obvious choice for those jobs would be the person with an MD AND a masters, rather someone with only a masters, I guess that's where experience comes into play.

if you know you want to go into public health, i would encourage you to get a BSPH; although, not every school has an undergraduate public health program.

-waystinthyme

That's a great idea, unfortunately I just looked and my school doesn't appear to have a degree like that for undergrads.

That's a great idea, unfortunately I just looked and my school doesn't appear to have a degree like that for undergrads.
Does your school let you design your own major? I designed my own major in global health (good way to just take whatever classes you want haha) and doubled in environmental science. But, biology is a solid and versatile degree, so I wouldn't worry about it =)

Really? I didn't know that was possible haha but I have an advising appointment tomorrow morning so I'll ask about that, it would be very cool if they had that but I haven't heard about it.

I went to advising today and she said the only custom degrees they had were "interdisciplinary studies"

it depends what you want to do. do you want to do EMD? biology would probably be best for that.

i have a BA in cultural anthropology and got into Columbia and Brown, so i think the personal statement is VERY important.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's what I was thinking, majors like Biology and Business Administration may be relevant but they are also general, nothing special about them.

I don't think your specific degree matters as much as doing well in school and taking a variety of classes that illustrate you can be successful with the required MPH courses. I think doing well in lab sciences, advanced math and research methodology classes are equally if not more important than your actual major. If you are interested in health policy or SBS, then classes in policy and psychology would also help. You are usually better off picking a major that you like and taking electives to meet your other needs. It sounds like you really like biology so it seems like a good choice.

What do you guys think about a dual program? The school I'm at now, although it isn't a great school or anything like that, has a Bachelors in Bio and Masters in Healthcare Administration. It is supposedly a 5 year program. Are those degrees any worse than a regular masters at better school?

They also have BS and MBA dual degree as well.

http://wweb.uta.edu/catalog/content/academics/department.aspx?college=SCIE&dept=BIOL#16

They actually give you an option to build your degree plan under a degree called Interdisciplinary Studies, then you ca place emphasis on something such as Public Administration. I thin a poster in this thread was describing this kind of degree.

Last edited:
Well personally, I did a BS in Community Health from UMD SPH. I think it's a good leeway into an MPH, especially if you plan on studying community health sciences. I would strongly recommend you look for programs with have a combined BS + MPH....like Emory. I think it's a 5 or 6 year program.

If you're good in sciences and want to put in the work, look into doing something like biology, chemistry, toxicology, [maybe] statistics and take SPH type courses on the side.

I'll be applying to MHA and MPH-HPM programs this Fall with a B.S. in Health Systems Management and a B.A. in Spanish. Most MHA/MPH/MPA programs are open to all sorts of backgrounds, but most programs suggest courses applicants should take to better prepare themselves. MHA programs, for example, suggest that applicants be familiar with finance, accounting, microeconomics...

It depends what you want to do with your public health degree. I am an MPH student planning to go on to vet school and work in zoonotic disease control in the food supply. My bachelor was in zoology and I am taking nutrition electives. So try to think long term, rather than what will get you into the program, what will help you in your overall goals.

My undergrad was in History actually and it gives me a strong background in qualitative methods as oral history isn't really that radically different from conducting focus groups. Since my major is health promotion and I want to work in the community it worked out very well for me. Again it all depends on your goals in the social sciences I also think anthropology is a greatly undervalued degree in public health in particular cultural anthropology.

I just skimmed the other replies, but here are my 2cents.

1. Undergrad major/minor probably doesn't matter too much. I would however make sure you take all the prereqs for the programs you are interested in and why not check out the doctoral level prereqs of those programs/concentrations as well, who knows what will happen along the way you might decide to stay in school until your 30s.

2. If you are simply looking to get an MPH/DrPH/Public health science degree I would focus on the social science, environmental science or political science fields or a professional degree such as public administration or health care administration. A bachelor's in public health is a great idea, because it will probably help you gain experience before or during your MPH.

3. If you primarily want to go to med school, but want to pick up an MPH along the way, concentrate on your premed requirements. I think most MPH programs will be glad to have and MD/MPHer. It's hard to find good public health medical directors out there.

Relax, a BS in bio will give you plenty of preparation for an MPH. I did a program that was roughly equal to MSPH and the science background really helped in graduate-level cell biology and tropical medicine courseworks. You'll be fine :)

If I was in the States like you (presumably), I would try to earn MT (ASCP) qualification as well. I believe that it will help increase your volatility in doing both lab and field/stat PH jobs.

Relax, a BS in bio will give you plenty of preparation for an MPH. I did a program that was roughly equal to MSPH and the science background really helped in graduate-level cell biology and tropical medicine courseworks. You'll be fine :)

If I was in the States like you (presumably), I would try to earn MT (ASCP) qualification as well. I believe that it will help increase your volatility in doing both lab and field/stat PH jobs.

completely agree. Getting your MT will help pay for bills while in school and just in case you don't get in or you don't apply after graduating (life happens), MT pays much better than a barista at starbucks or a research assistant.

MT pays much better than a barista at starbucks or a research assistant.

- RAMPA, I AM working as a research assistant, so that hurts lol. :D Wish that option was available here in Thailand, though. Out here you need to do a 4-year MT degree or bust. OP, pls take that chance while you have it.

I wouldn't be worried about your undergrad degree for public health - if you're determined to make it work, you can come from anywhere and do meaningful work in public health. I have a BS in biomedical/electrical & computer engineering (it was an independent major), and my analytic, math, and programming skills are working great for me in epidemiology. As you're in the basic sciences, definitely include analytical math classes such as statistics.

If you're feeling adventurous and looking for a challenge, you also might want to take an introductory programming class in a simpler language like C++ just to get a feel for programming - a lot of people without programming experience get freaked out by SAS and R when confronted with them in graduate school and SAS is not nearly as difficult as some of the crazy ones out there. Plus, it'll make you stand out when applying for MPH programs.

Thank you guys for all of the answers and input, I appreciate it!

I actually ended up switching my major to MIS(Information Systems) but did not like the classes so I feel like I kind of wasted that semester but at least I know that I didn't want to do it because before the classes I was convinced.

I had to switch majors to Psychology for the time being and will probably go ahead and finish it up while taking some different business/science classes for the pre-reqs of an MPH or MHP.

I read your suggestions about going into MT first to have a decent job and pay the bills but I also read that you need a BS in a science and I switched form BIo so that doesn't really apply to me anymore. :thumbdown:

There is a school about an hour away from where I live that has a bachelors in healthcare administration, I swish I knew about this a year or two ago but with graduate schools for an MHP/MPH they don't care so much about the degree subject itself so I assume psychology could be acceptable? I'm not in a position to change schools anytime soon due to my living situation and financial aid situation so looks like I will ride out the Psych. path because I am really interested in it and it's versatile. It's been a long time since I made the thread but I'm back in the same spot lol I would be interested to see if ay opinions changed about the field since then with you guys..

I've always found a liberal arts degree to be the most valuable because it teaches you how to critically think and how to write well. I don't think the major matters too much, but political science is certainly valuable when it comes to policy making.

I've always found a liberal arts degree to be the most valuable because it teaches you how to critically think and how to write well. I don't think the major matters too much, but political science is certainly valuable when it comes to policy making.

Thanks, I think that would be a pretty good choice.

The "best" college degree is the one you earned.

Well that's true but is it also true for getting into a masters program?