best and worst ems standby's...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted6669

list best and worst ems standbys you have done....
best:
billy joel/elton john( tx'd member of bj's band for anaphylaxis)
pink floyd( intubated od's here, also dka precipitated by od)
rolling stones
phil collins
lallapalooza(stage diving flail chest/femur fx/unstable c-spine fx)

worst:
24 hr dance marathon
high school football ( too many times)
electric linemans olympics( guys climbing phone polls as fast as possible, etc)

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds like some pretty cool standby calls.

I volunteer in a suburban town so the most exciting events here are the Fireman's Carnival (free food) and the Soccer Tournament (several thousand people and lots of twisted knees and such). I guess I should also include the Senior Bingo night - that's a real wild crowd!

I agree with you totally on the football standby's EMEDPA!

I used to do Saturday standby's for kids contact football. It lasted from 0700-2300 oftentimes. They were ranging from 2nd graders to 8th graders. there were 10 fields going simultaneously ALL DAY LONG! just me and my partner. One in the first aid booth and the other in a gator.

There would be literally thousands of people there all day standing out in the heat.

Worst day was: dislocated shoulder on one field that my partner took in the gator. I went out and got a "heat exhaustion" laying on the ground........took her back to the first aid booth. hooked her up to the monitor (12 lead) and is having huge MI. I'm by myself b/c my partner is on another field dealing with dislocated shoulder. I call for a unit, but meanwhile I have to start a line, get her ASA, nitro, morphine, O2 etc....all in this little tiny first aid booth.

Ambulance comes and takes my lady. meanwhile partner has gotten 2 other calls on seperate fields.

this was one of the longest days of my life!

I've got no best standby stories.........they are all worst.

later

Members don't see this ad :)
Worst....Jr. Rodeos or Shodeos for the elementary age kids....

Makes you want to pluck your hair our one strand at a time and then jump in a rubbing alocohol bath.

Best:
Kenny Chesney/Tim McGraw concert. We only got to hear 2 songs before a drunk needed transport. :mad:
hmmm...come to think of it, we don't do many stand-bys. C-Med just sends the closest truck if needed. A-holes! :smuggrin:
But we do get to stand-by at all fires, haz-mat incidents, so that's always fun. It's a nice break. And anytime the president comes into town. He even has his own TICU room set aside just for him...in case. Stand-by's at the airport for a plane in trouble is fun too. As long as they land safely in the end! :scared: :scared:

Worst:

Mexican Rodeo

Czech Festival

Demolition Derby (it was pathetic)

One of my favorites was the police swat team competition. We got to see a lot high powered firearms and some really impressive precision shooting.

Worst: highschool graduation

Also agree with the poster about HS football. Very boring. One game we took care of 3 flag core members w/ two seperate incidents at one time. Also having to deal with student HS athletic trainors is rather annoying.

Sorry... have everyone beat on worst. "Sesame Street Live"... four back-to-back shows, a zillion freaked out kids (i kind of under stand that.. Big Bird is hella scary in person... like 10 feet tall!!). I knew all the songs by heart by the end of the second show.

I've done a few football games. Most memorable was a Christian high school... team named the "Lions." I asked the coach if that was supposed to be funny... and he just looked at me quizzically.

Best... Andrea Bocelli, George Strait, Toad the Wet Sprocket, Aerosmith,... lots of good ones.

Social Distortion concert recently. Security brings a guy out of the mosh pit. Turns out he's a paraplegic, fell out of his wheel chair (in the mosh pit), and all his buddies just passed the dude around. Funny stuff.

dropdeded