Berkeley students applying to NYU Med??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

donuthole

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all you Berkeley students,

I was wondering if any of you are applying to NYU med. I hear they don't like Cali applicants very much and I was wondering if it's worth it to apply. Plus, the people i do know from Berkeley who got in/got interviews had over a 36 on the MCAT. i wonder if this is a coincidence?

Give me any input!

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

yeah i heard the same so i didnt even bother to apply to nyu. i knew i would just be losing money anyway.

and comparing to the other schools i am applying to, the prospect of not even having a chance to attend nyu isnt bringing me down at all......(though i was born in NY and have an emotional attachment there).

are you referring only to berkeley students or to cali students in general. shucks, what if you went to an ivy on the east coast and you are from cali? i wonder if you'd be looked at differently...

Members don't see this ad :)
From what I hear, NYU and USC both look kindly on Berkeley graduates. I think there is a pretty self-explanatory explanation for this...both of the aforementioned schools are "prestige-obsessed." In other words, both of them take the undergraduate institution attended into account. I know people who graduated Berkeley in the molecular-cell biology major and earned 3.3-3.5 GPAs and were accepted to NYU. However, the major factor that isn't being considered here is MCAT score which is more important than GPA...so I admit ignorance there because for all I know...those people could've had 36+ MCATs. I just know that NYU accepts lots of Berkeley grads into their law school, the Stern School of business, and I'm sure a few get into their med school. However, what's important here is the % that get in...in other words, the number that get admitted into NYU/the number that applied. I'm not sure if it's possible to get this info...maybe look on their website for a section called "Undergraduate Institutions Attended by the Incoming Class"...JHU Med has a section like this on their website..my best advice would be to just look around their website and see what you can dig up...:confused: Best of luck to all Cal grads applying to NYU med!